Whenever I see someone diss videogames, I show them this...

• 93 results
xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
@easthill:
It's not the ability it's the imagination
gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#52  Edited By gamb1t
@FancySoapsMan said:
" I used to like videogames but now I don't thanks to you "
soapsfancyman
Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#53  Edited By Akeldama
@HandsomeDead said:
" OP is just as shit as video games are. "
Nope. Still got it

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By HandsomeDead
@Akeldama said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" OP is just as shit as video games are. "
Nope. Still got it

"
Don't call it a comeback.
Avatar image for deactivated-5bd08a8235d7e
deactivated-5bd08a8235d7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've not met someone who's said anything negative about videogames, at least not to me. Besides, even if they did, I don't think I'd care. Their opinion would be based on nothing but guesses and what the tabloids told them about some game called GTA, whatever that is (prostitute killer simulator apparently).

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Jay444111

@Dain22:

Pretty much this. I used to take games way too seriously - like the Zelda and Final Fantasy games - but then I graduated high school and stopped listening to Linkin Park (let's see what kind of shit I catch for that remark).

--------------------------

Yeah, I would, but then I would be a punk, so no, I will disect your points little by little here.

I appreciate the creative efforts that go into video games, and there have been some very profound titles (the depths of the Mas Effect universe stick out for me). But the truth of the matter is that there hasn't been anything to come along in the medium that can be compared to other major successes in other mediums. Theater has Shakespeare's Plays, Books have "Too Kill a Mocking Bird" and "Catcher In the Rye", and Films have "Citizen Kane". I've yet to see a game that can stand up along side those titles in the same way. Until then, I'm pretty okay with "DERP DERP VIDJA GAMES" and not taking anything too seriously. I tend to pity people who dismiss video-games on principle alone - it's more fun games more me, but I enjoy sharing the fun with others even more.
-------------------------
Because it takes literally hundreds of years for those to form,okay, let me tell you this, what if the citizens kane of gaming happens tomorrow? what will our previous games have been for then? will they be considered trash or will they wither away? think about this, bioshock, half life 2, shadow of the colossus, braid, hell Oot and MGS are freaking citizens kanes in their own rights ARE THESE GAMES TRASH? besides practically every single theater plays and books WERE NOT succuessful at all, in fact it was just a cult following and the name citizens kane being a masterpiece came from a later generation of people who knew that movies were a great medium from their childhoods, just like it is happening right now with videogames. hell catcher in the rye, I could go on forever on about it, but the southpark episode told it better then I ever could.
----------------------------
Come to think of it, I have my doubts that society will ever consider Video Games a "serious" medium (besides the business and profit context) because I don't think the medium can ever move beyond the "game" factor and all the associations and connotations that go with it.  
------------------------------
Considering a good 70% of the internet believes videogames are an artform and even defending it to the death against roger eberts that know nothing of our medium. also for the fact that the smithsionan believes videogames are an art form, along with the tribeca film festival for finally letting a videogame in, it's gonna happen within the next 10 years, I can count on it. (I am willingly ready to bet money that this will happen. seriously.)

Let me just put this out there, Ocarina of time came out 13 years ago, now look at how much videogames have evolved, it is mindblowingly insane.
MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By MeierTheRed

I smell... Fuck a hologram!

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#58  Edited By JasonR86
@Jay444111 said:
"

@Dain22:

Pretty much this. I used to take games way too seriously - like the Zelda and Final Fantasy games - but then I graduated high school and stopped listening to Linkin Park (let's see what kind of shit I catch for that remark).

Yeah, I would, but then I would be a punk, so no, I will disect your points little by little here.

I appreciate the creative efforts that go into video games, and there have been some very profound titles (the depths of the Mas Effect universe stick out for me). But the truth of the matter is that there hasn't been anything to come along in the medium that can be compared to other major successes in other mediums. Theater has Shakespeare's Plays, Books have "Too Kill a Mocking Bird" and "Catcher In the Rye", and Films have "Citizen Kane". I've yet to see a game that can stand up along side those titles in the same way. Until then, I'm pretty okay with "DERP DERP VIDJA GAMES" and not taking anything too seriously. I tend to pity people who dismiss video-games on principle alone - it's more fun games more me, but I enjoy sharing the fun with others even more.
-------------------------
Because it takes literally hundreds of years for those to form,okay, let me tell you this, what if the citizens kane of gaming happens tomorrow? what will our previous games have been for then? will they be considered trash or will they wither away? think about this, bioshock, half life 2, shadow of the colossus, braid, hell Oot and MGS are freaking citizens kanes in their own rights ARE THESE GAMES TRASH? besides practically every single theater plays and books WERE NOT succuessful at all, in fact it was just a cult following and the name citizens kane being a masterpiece came from a later generation of people who knew that movies were a great medium from their childhoods, just like it is happening right now with videogames. hell catcher in the rye, I could go on forever on about it, but the southpark episode told it better then I ever could.
----------------------------
Come to think of it, I have my doubts that society will ever consider Video Games a "serious" medium (besides the business and profit context) because I don't think the medium can ever move beyond the "game" factor and all the associations and connotations that go with it.  
------------------------------
Considering a good 70% of the internet believes videogames are an artform and even defending it to the death against roger eberts that know nothing of our medium. also for the fact that the smithsionan believes videogames are an art form, along with the tribeca film festival for finally letting a videogame in, it's gonna happen within the next 10 years, I can count on it. (I am willingly ready to bet money that this will happen. seriously.)

Let me just put this out there, Ocarina of time came out 13 years ago, now look at how much videogames have evolved, it is mindblowingly insane.
"
Why does any of this matter?  If you like games what does it matter what anyone else thinks?  They're not going away.  Don't take other people opinions so personally.  They really don't account for much at all.  They're just opinions.
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#59  Edited By Pinworm45

People still say Diss?

Lifestrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Lifestrike
@FancySoapsMan said:
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Pinworm45
@JasonR86 said: 
Why does any of this matter?  If you like games what does it matter what anyone else thinks?  They're not going away.  Don't take other people opinions so personally.  They really don't account for much at all.  They're just opinions. "
Yeah, it's not like there's people trying to pass legislation to regulate and ban some games that has gotten as far as the supreme court or anything.
Kandycane2029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Kandycane2029

To each their own, man. If people don't like gaming, then they don't like it. It's like religion. Nobody wants another person throwing their beliefs in their face.

blogpostnogood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By blogpostnogood

Everyone has a game, they just need to find it :)

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#64  Edited By JasonR86
@Pinworm45: 

This happened with rap music back in the 90s.  Rock music in the 50s.  Fiction novels during the Victorian era.  It all adds to naught in the end.  Like I said previously, giving these people attention is exactly what they want.  Ignore them and they will go away.  Video games make to much money and are to well established to be overwhelmed by laws like the one the Supreme Court is looking at.  Money talks and games make a hell of a lot of money.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@crusader8463 said:
" I just show them two of these and walk away.
No Caption Provided
"

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#66  Edited By Little_Socrates

Kojima is gross to me post-MGS3. Portable Ops is just bland, and MGS4 is 10% quality storytelling and 90% vomit-inducingly offensive.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#67  Edited By wrighteous86
@Jay444111 said:
"@Dain22: Considering a good 70% of the internet believes videogames are an artform and even defending it to the death against roger eberts that know nothing of our medium."
Technically, by his definition of the term art, Roger Ebert is exactly right.
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#68  Edited By Red12b

VIDEOTHING!...video thing

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By cheesebob
@Jay444111:  WHen someone disses video games. I pop a cap in they ass. NOBODY DISSES VIDEO GAMES FOO'
FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#70  Edited By FancySoapsMan
@gamb1t said:
" @FancySoapsMan said:
soapsfancyman "
b1tgam
Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#71  Edited By Yanngc33

Jean Reno fucking kicks ass

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#72  Edited By craigbo180

Video games aren't art and if anyone was "dissing" video games and you showed me a link to the making of onimusha 3 I think I would die laughing.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#73  Edited By delta_ass

Hideo Kojima? Hideo fucking Kojima is the Stephen King of video games?

Wow. You just insulted Stephen King.

Cobra1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Cobra1

Jean Reno rocks big time!

DeckardLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By DeckardLee

Very effective argument. Next time, show them a good game, and game footage; not anime crap turned polygons.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#76  Edited By IBurningStar

This reminds me of something that I once heard on the Bombcast. Vinny was asked about video games and the following was said.

Vinny: I think they're art.
Ryan: Fuck you!

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#77  Edited By AhmadMetallic

i like video games

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Video games.....
or Hideo Games?

0.o

Tally_Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Tally_Pants
@blueaniman93 said:
" what i show them is my shotgun "
please tell me ur a Hobo..l please tell me ur a Hobo... PLEASE BE A HOBO!!!
Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Twisted_Scot
@Jay444111:  Uwe Boll works hard for ages to find funding for his movies & works hard for months to years to create the finished article but everything that man touches turns to shit and he makes movies  based on popular video games. You can work hard and still churn out turds....*cough*  Shyamalan *cough*.
Ratinho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Ratinho

I say, 'fair enough, people like what they like'

Then get on with the rest of my life.

Jay444111's reaction and straight up refusal to understand what people are saying probably makes him much more of an anus when it comes to discussing the relative merits of games, then the randoms who aren't fans of them.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#82  Edited By MildMolasses
@VelvetLore04 said:
"Any time someone praises Hideo Kojima for writing, I know to never take anything they say seriously. The fact that you compare the guy to Stephen King of all people says to me that you are not all that familiar with literature. Though I guess a comparison could be made, if you focus on the fact that both of them wrote terrible, terrible endings to an established and beloved franchise. "

The Kojima/King comparison seemes pretty apt. They both make bloated nonsensical stories with terrible endings

I don't like tv, painting or photography but that isnt going to make somebody's argument about those things change my mind because they enjoy them

I put 90 hours into Viva Pinata:TIP. Even though I loved it, I know it was a waste of time

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Jay444111

@MildMolasses:
@Ratinho:

(next two para graphs are for Ratinho)I am not refusing to understand, just finding it ignorant people still treat videogames like this even though they are making MUCH more then practically any other medium. That alone just shows how much gaming has evolved, instead of 100 thousand units of a console selling, millions buy it now.

Along with videogames like braid and shadow coming out every year, along with the maturity of gamers and videogames constantly rising, (unlike the movie industries wanting to lower peoples IQ's) videogames challange the person expierencing them. and considering it takes about 2 to 5 years just to make a single great videogame, I think it is just plain disrespectful to insult videogames.

(now to MildMolasses.)

umm... Kojima is actually pretty good with endings actually, he knows what they are and when to end his videogames without having the person who went through the story feel jipped. (stephen king REALLY needs a clue on this.)

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#84  Edited By recroulette

Have you played MGS4? That ending was HORRIBLE.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By chilibean_3

MGS4's story was actually making me angry because of how insultingly dumb it was.  But then I started taking it less seriously and had a lot of fun because VIDEO GAMEZ!  

theMixxer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By theMixxer

This thread has made me realize that video games are still in the "awkward teenager" phase.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#87  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

@Jay444111: Like movies video games combine a few media forms in it, but just like you don't judge the movie industry based on the quality of the soundtracks you can't say the gaming industry is seriouse by showing them elements that are lended from other mediums. You need to prove the the core elements and ideas that are unique to the gaming industry aren't just gimiks or mindless crap that anyone can do and then you can support you claim by showing that the industry has matured and has evolved to the point that it integrates elements from the other mediums like cutscene and music and can even use them to better effect then what they can do without the game.    

What you said is like comparing a blue trash can to a painting from Picasso's blue period and say the the blue trash can has the same artistic values as the painting just because it had a better usage of the color blue.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Jay444111

@theMixxer:

Mixxer now you I thought would side with me on this one!

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#89  Edited By Bocam

Who are you and why should I care about your opinion?

NakAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By NakAttack

I wonder if the OP ever realized that it is because of people like him/her that people hate video games?

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#91  Edited By Bocam
@nk19: Probably not
NakAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By NakAttack
@Bocam: That's unfortunate.  
theMixxer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By theMixxer
@Jay444111: If someone disses video games, I just play it off.

"Oh, naw. I only play (Madden/NBA/Call of Duty/*Manly Game*)."
"Nice!"

*DudeBro High Five ensues*

And then I move on with my life.