Where are you Gamefly?

DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By DARKIDO07

With Netflix coming to the Xbox Live Marketplace this fall, where does that leave Gamefly? In the car today coming home from the UP I thought about this for a second, what if Gamefly subscribers were able to download games directly to their hard-drive, and be able to keep and play them for a month. They could download as many games at a time as their hard-drive could hold and they could only keep them for a month. It wouldn't be that hard as you can already download Xbox games from Live to your hard-drive and with the ability to install games comeing this fall, I'm sure Gamefly would be able  to allow Xbox Live Gold users to download games with ane experation date, just like how you can download movies but only keep them for 24 hours after watching them. One of the biggest complaints about Gamefly is it can take 4-6 days to get your video game but haveing the service on the Marketplace would solve that, and no other video game rental service would be doing what Gamefly would be so it would attracted new users. I think its possible, who knows maybe Microsoft is already planning a deal with Gamefly and if they aren't START.

DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By DARKIDO07

C'mon anyone else wounder why Gamefly hasn't discussed anything with MS about downloading games to your hard-drive for rental?

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By suneku

Hey that'd be a pretty cool idea, then you can avoid renting beat up discs.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

#4  Edited By sarahsdad

Honestly I'm kind of surprised that there isn't more of a push-back from the cable companies about the potential for that many millions more people to be downloading movies all of a sudden.

As for the games. Well, off the top of my head I'd say there's probably more than a little bit of concern over security. If I can download a game to the HD, and there's a time limit on it, how long until someone figures a way around the time limit lock?

Also (and I'm not quite so sure about this) I've heard that pretty much every company involved in production, distribution, sales, etc. of the physical media for games is against digital distribution. I'm sure MS and/or GameFly would love to rent games that way, but they might be afraid of backlash from brick and mortar stores who might suddenly decide to not carry a game, or maybe not give the next MS game quite so much shelf space.

Third, I know not every game takes up a DVD worth of space, but I also wonder how high MS' or GF's bandwidth bills would be for something like that?