Where do you start with Minecraft?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ragsdr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've been enjoying watching the Minecraft playdates and bought a copy, but there are so many options... Does anyone have a suggestion of how to get started and what my goals should be? I played the game when it was in alpha, so I understand how it works, I just don't know what to do now that so much has changed.

TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By TheAdmin

Here are a few tips:

• Start by building a home of some sort. Enough room for some basic stuff such as a bed, crafting table, storage, etc.
  • Now build a Mine. Find a good spot, build a bunch of ladders and dig straight down (2x2 alternating blocks in case it drops you into something dangerous you won't just fall).
  • Now once you've made it down far (press F3 to see the XYZ coordinates. You want to be around Y 14), start mining straight ahead, in alternate paths, until you find diamonds.
    • example: DXDDXDDXDDX - D is dirt, X is where you should mine. this is looking at the wall and imagine the space under the letters is an open hallway
  • Now Upgrade your house, tools, etc.
eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

Explore until you find things, look up basic recipes and whatever you find online to find out what's possible. Some people play for the adventure, some play for the building, I'd advise just seeing what's possible with what you have and seeing what interests you.

BinaryDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

The biggest tip Id say is the play with friends or a group. Playing minecraft together is a much better experience. Everyone has different knowledge, you get inspired by other players builds, you get to discover together, use redstone to automate some things and enjoy that accomplishment. We've been having a blast on the GB Official Unofficial Minecraft server for JAVA. I've learnt loads, and had many of the laughs.

What Minecraft excels in, is the multiplayer, it is a much better game with others. Even strangers. At least that's been my experience.

If anyone want help getting their head around redstone, I've got some knowledge. Happy to get people started. :D

mikachops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

This is what I usually do when I start a game:

• explore and find an aesthetically nice place to build a house
  • build that house
  • look for sheep to make a bed to put in that house
  • dig down and deep...
  • go to another biome and repeat the above
stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By stantongrouse

The great thing about Minecraft is that there are just so many ways to approach it, and all are viable if they lead to what it is you like doing. Personally, I now start with a house/build project in mind so I look to start with the best way to achieve that in survival. So my current solo thing is building a 1900s style Mexican hacienda so I looked for a seed that spawned near a Badlands biome for all the terracotta and with a local ravine to save mining time. I'd also say find a few different texture mods to pop onto new games you create. Unless you're totally hooked into the vanilla aesthetic, I think they help with making each build/adventure feel a bit more individual.