Which game franchise/IP do you miss the most?

• 55 results
gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Hello

The game franchise I miss the most is MotorStorm from Sony Interactive Entertainment.

I wish XDev (Developer of WipEout Omega Collection) would able to resurrect this franchise for PS5!
The only next-gen racing game to have a MotorStorm vibe at this moment is DiRT 5 from Codemasters.

Colmymeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Burnout and F-Zero, it seems that sim like racing games are more profitable/popular. People would rather play driving games with realistic handling rather than ones where you can drive upside and as Criterion put it back in the day "go fucking fast"

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colmymeh said:

Burnout and F-Zero, it seems that sim like racing games are more profitable/popular. People would rather play driving games with realistic handling rather than ones where you can drive upside and as Criterion put it back in the day "go fucking fast"

I reckon next-gen needs more arcade racers.

I also really missed F-Zero, Excite Truck, and Burnout!

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By damodar

It's an interesting question. I'm not sure there's anything I'm tooooo desperately yearning to return, but the first thing that popped into my head was Ridge Racer. There was a real good run there of consoles and portables launching with a Ridge Racer, but not anymore. I think there's still room for something like that to succeed as a smaller scale project with maybe a $30 price tag or something.

Other than that, dunno. I guess maybe I'd just bring up all the amazing IPs that Konami holds that they're not doing anything with. And maybe even some of the things they are doing things with, because they've put out some real crap over the last couple of years.

Also, Metroid's been in a bit of a weird place for a while.

Oh and Virtua Fighter. VF5 is like 16 years old at this point, and then there was that weird VF teaser trailer from about 6 or 7 months ago that didn't actually announce what it was teasing and then I don't think they've actually said anything since?

A proper new entry into the Front Mission series? New WarioWare and Rhythm Heaven? Hmm maybe there are more things I want to return than I thought...

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Armored Core.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Twisted Metal, it just feels like it has such a place in the modern online game landscape. They gotta go back to the core a bit since the last game got pretty damn complex, but it has such perfect pick up and play appeal. With a really high skill ceiling.

Playing those early games on hard also felt like a battle royal sometimes, and they can go even bigger on that concept with giant levels. But honestly, the small crafted levels were fun enough and having Twisted Metal: Black's multiplayer would probably be just fine.

Or hell, just gimme another Critical Depth with that Singletrac sound team.

anywhereilay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tombi/Tomba, not sure what kind of game that would be in this day and age.

I would take a spruce up of the older ones, HD textures and maybe remove zippo and that terrible event music from Tombi 2.

I really like the Jak and Daxter series but again, I'm not sure what I'd want to see in a sequel.

I'd like the L.A Noire ip to be revisited, game had legs to go somewhere really interesting.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By big_denim

Ninja Gaiden.

They put out two bad entries back in 2012-2014 and as a result, outside of some collection edition releases, the series has been abandoned ever since.

I'm hoping the collection releasing this year is a means to gauge interest in the series but I'm probably just getting my hopes up just to be let down in the long run.

Also, I know this is sort of a cliche answer to this question, but how the hell has there not been a new Dino Crisis. The model and lighting details in games these days would make for something really amazing Dino hunting IMO.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Ape Escape 2 is the best platformer on the PS2. Ape Escape 3 was also pretty good. Ape Escape 4? No idea, they never made one. Give me evil time travelling monkeys!

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I will go one better...or worse. Here is franchies that need a new entry, but need to be TOTALLY refresh starting from square one.

Resistance: Fall of Man - It was a very popular game on PS3 in n006, but it was terribly mishandled from the start. Instead of getting very fantastical, I would start with the realistic weapons, vehicles, and human technology of 1938. I woudl plan for a trilogy that is about a progressive infestation of the our solar system where ALL humans must pull together - and DO IT. The first game deals with fighting aliens on earth from 1938 to 1950, all nations are involved. The next game would jump a few years and now humans are fighting aliens in low earth orbit and the Moon from 1958 to 1970. The last game is set in 1988 to 2000, where humans are desperate to clear the infestation of aliens from Mars and planning to investigate what is happening near Saturn...an 8 year trip!

....Also, not one alien is even depicted wear fucking PANTS! And, Insomniac Games wonders why their game series died out? FUCKING PANTS!

Avatar image for deactivated-63cd8ec76d97f
deactivated-63cd8ec76d97f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Command and Conquer.

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Panfoot

Silent Hill, the last mainline Silent Hill game, Downpour, released in 2012 alongside the awful HD collection and vita dungeon crawler spin off game. After Konami released and subsequently killed PT back in 2014, the only signs of life in the series has been GOG getting the original release of Silent Hill 4: The Room and some SH themed DLC for other games. Really I just want all the mainline games on steam, that's it, I don't trust Konami to ever make anything good again at this point.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wave Race. Advance Wars.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Onemanarmyy

I miss the point n click adventure games that have the humor and production values of a latter-day LucasArts or Sierra adventure. There's still some quality work being done (Mostly by Wadjet Eye, Amenita and Daedalic), but it's clear that they are made on a budget and based on mature themes for adults. Which is cool, but it's hard for a game about transhumanism or algae science to be as ingrained in the mind as the swashbuckling adventures of Guybrush Threepwood.

I also think that Ridge Racer & Wipeout games should just be out there on every platform. Oh and i think that there should be some sort of Qix revival. I always liked Qix back in the day and i feel like there's a cool multiplayer variant somewhere in there.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No One Lives Forever.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

#18  Edited By MightyDuck

Socom: US Navy Seals - I would LOVE a modern version of this on PS5. I'm still a huge fan of the more tactical, one life per round online gameplay. Lot of good times in high school playing both Socom 1 and 2 with friends.

Jet Moto - loved the original on PS1.

Colony Wars - great Space Combat sim with multiple story paths and endings.

Ape Escape - Give me Ape Escape 4 already!

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@wollywoo: I assume you've played Wargroove? It's not quite as good, but it's probably the closest/best thing we're gonna get to an Advance Wars sequel.

EatBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No One Lives Forever. FFS.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wollywoo: I assume you've played Wargroove? It's not quite as good, but it's probably the closest/best thing we're gonna get to an Advance Wars sequel.

Yup, played and loved Wargroove!

GleasonRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

I think about Marvel Heroes at least 4 times a week.

Also Wet.

Daanienator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Viva Piñata!

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The Battle for Middle Earth. I'm shocked there hasn't been any attempt to make a new LOTR strategy game in recent years, what with the success of Total War Warhammer and the incoming Amazon show.

Otherwise, I've had a surprisingly good track record of my favorite franchises sticking around, though not always in ways I'm happy about. Dragon Age Origins, for instance, never got a proper mechanical sequel as far as I'm concerned. I played 2 and Inquisition to completion, but neither of them scratched the same itch as Origins.

NameRedacted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uncharted. What?! I like that series.

In addition to a new series on PS5, I'd love to see remakes of Golden Abyss (specifically for console) and remakes of the OG PS3 trilogy (like the RE2 remake; UC1 could be punched up and UC3 needs help), while the original Uncharted VO's are still alive and able.

LavenderGooms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Mercenaries. Of all the "the nemesis system should be used here" games (before we found out it was patented) that one was the top of my list.

2 was a big ol' bummer but I liked 1 so much the fondness remains.

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I'd like to see some of the games from a bit back that didn't make it into franchises have another bash at getting going. Psy-Ops, Metal Arms and Eternal Darkness could all get a better go at it with modernising and utilising new tech - less remake, more reboot.

Otherwise more Timesplitters and Metroid Prime would be pretty high on my list.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

No Caption Provided

Dang3rDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Syphon Filter, Legacy of Kain, SOCOM, The Getaway.... theres more that i can't think of on the spot.

Rich666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Silent Hill... RIP :[

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh and God Games. Black & White, Populous, Dungeon Keeper, Sacrifice.. these kind of games had so much potential.

pg77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gtxforza: this is an underrated franchise. I miss it. Sony should bring it back. The sequel Pacific Rift was really good as well.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WWE All Stars, the AKI engine wrestling games, Tokyo Jungle, Official 2D sprite Metroid and Castlevania, Vice City, SLEEPING DOGS, Mutant League Football.

BajiBoxer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shiftygism: Have you tried Mutant Football League (released in 2017)? I'm curious how it compares to the original MLF

BajiBoxer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BajiBoxer

I miss the NCAA Football games the most. Was an annual purchase for me for over a decade. Hopefully EA still has it in them to make a good college football game with the new one (I'm skeptical though). And while not a franchise, I just miss sports games competition in general. Most of the major sports franchises left are stagnant microtransaction riddled hellscapes.

Edit: And since wrestling has been mentioned, I really wish Saturday Night Slam Masters had turned into a long lasting franchise.

hansberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm increasingly of the mindset that I don't necessarily want another entry in a franchise if it has been long enough between entries that I miss the franchise. Once upon a time if this question came up then I would have said Startopia. Then Kalypso announced Starbase Startopia, a game whose trailers rubbed me the wrong way entirely, was made by different people, and for which the reception has not been kind. I'd still like that kind of game: a space station simulator with a bit of a sense of humor and revels in the joy of interacting with new species in outer space. Space games can be so very gloomy, filled with dread and violence and lacking any joy of exploration or just being out there. Maybe I just don't need it to be Startopia by name.

As a more popular example, once upon another time I would have said SimCity. The last SimCity was, again, not very well received. Then came Cities Skylines which did mostly what I wanted a city builder to do. This emphasizes the point that it's just the style and/or genre of game that I missed... that I really don't need it to be "the next entry".

I suppose that I may feel differently with a more narrative focused game; but if enough time had passed then I would still have those concerns: if most of the previous team has moved on, or the franchise has changed hands entirely, then what would I even get?

Avatar image for zimzamfromspace
zimzamfromspace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My top 3 have already been said: Burnout, Twisted Metal, F-Zero. Miss those games so damn much.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Great pull with The Getaway@dang3rdoom! I still think about the potential of that series a lot, especially after this generation's mastery (or at least emphasis on) open world game design. At this point it's not some experimental form. People forget the game was originally planned as a PS2 launch game before eventually releasing a full year after Grand Theft Auto III, ironically becoming labeled a "GTA clone" as a result (in a clone-happy social media environment, but still). Twenty years on it's still pretty subversive to try and create an open world game with traffic laws, realistic gun impact and whatnot.

Sure, it sucked that the blinker-based navigation system often led you down dead ends, that it could take what felt like an hour to recover from minor gunfights, and really the avatars just controlled like bricks in general and the cars weren't much better, but I always felt one of the louder complaints (that the game had no sense of humor) was one of its better virtues, helping it stand out against stuff like True Crime and GTA.

I get that not having a sense of humor in a genre that openly invites chaos is a tall order but I'd love to see a studio take a crack at something like that now. I guess they could tuck a little more Guy Ritchie in there if they wanted.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bajiboxer: Watched a bunch of videos on it, didn't look very good at all, very sloppy from the standpoint of being a loose interpretation of football.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Socom: US Navy Seals - I would LOVE a modern version of this on PS5. I'm still a huge fan of the more tactical, one life per round online gameplay. Lot of good times in high school playing both Socom 1 and 2 with friends.

Yeah, a straight up recreation in a new engine of the first two games would be awesome. I want a new verbal command system too. It occurs to me that when you are talking about SOCOM 1 & 2 we are speaking about games that 19 years old, meaning anyone over 25 might never have played these games.

Many people certainly don't recall that the voice command system could recognize about 500 combinations of commands. Most command were broken down into WHO. WHERE, HOW, and WHAT. So WHO [which team members] should move WHERE, HOW FAST [stealth crawl to fast run] and to do WHAT action. In other instance you could simple tell a team member to sniper "Overwatch" an area on the map.. It was even possible to just have a team member "follow" the play weapons cold or weapons hot; i.e. taking shots of opportunity.

I wouldn't even want the online gameplay to be as complex as modern games. I would rather have the online to be old skool -zero frills- gameplay and modes. Simple modes of play, simple clan and/or find a friend, and a straight democratic vote process to "KICK" people out of a room or "GREEN UP" to start. [Remember the simple days, when more if more than three people wanted you gone - automaticlly booted from the room? Heaven!]

Topcyclist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gtxforza: that wii game with transforming bugs in cars. Powerstone 2, skies of arcadia, janky nba 2k2 not the new ones, 2d street fighters,

vallian88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Silent Hill, Warcraft, Armored Core, Half-Life, Advanced Wars, Gauntlet...

The difficulty I see with many older IPs is that the devs who cared about them are long gone and the new staff doesn't have the same interest in keeping those projects around.

With that mindset, I really look forward to whatever Dreamhaven might put out.

noobsauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By noobsauce

Circus Maximus and Gladius. Both 1 entry "franchises" but still.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

@noobsauce: I'd love to see a new Gladius.

As for me, Suikoden, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Wild ARMs. I wouldn't mind someone taking a crack at a Metal Gear Solid 5-esque game inspired by its gameplay with a coherent story, but I don't know that I would actually want it to be a Metal Gear game.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh and God Games. Black & White, Populous, Dungeon Keeper, Sacrifice.. these kind of games had so much potential.

Dungeon Keeper has a special place in my heart. I tried all the other games that tried to fill Dungeon Keeper's shoes, but none of them grabbed me. Everyone keeps telling me "Try Dungeons 3!" but man, I bounce off that so hard.

Hey, Dungeon Keeper is on the app store! This has to be good, right?

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

@mightyduck said:

Yeah, a straight up recreation in a new engine of the first two games would be awesome. I want a new verbal command system too. It occurs to me that when you are talking about SOCOM 1 & 2 we are speaking about games that 19 years old, meaning anyone over 25 might never have played these games.

Many people certainly don't recall that the voice command system could recognize about 500 combinations of commands. Most command were broken down into WHO. WHERE, HOW, and WHAT. So WHO [which team members] should move WHERE, HOW FAST [stealth crawl to fast run] and to do WHAT action. In other instance you could simple tell a team member to sniper "Overwatch" an area on the map.. It was even possible to just have a team member "follow" the play weapons cold or weapons hot; i.e. taking shots of opportunity.

I wouldn't even want the online gameplay to be as complex as modern games. I would rather have the online to be old skool -zero frills- gameplay and modes. Simple modes of play, simple clan and/or find a friend, and a straight democratic vote process to "KICK" people out of a room or "GREEN UP" to start. [Remember the simple days, when more if more than three people wanted you gone - automaticlly booted from the room? Heaven!]

Reading your post made me so happy!

You pretty much nailed everything that made this game amazing. My friends still talk about how we would blow off parties and such in high school because we had to get home for our Socom Clan Wars. I even have people from our "clan" that I still keep in touch with almost 15-20 years later. It's crazy how awesome that game was online.

The headset was great too. It's funny, nowadays, I mute everyone except people I know, but back then it was so novel to talk to people and play. As you mentioned, the single player campaign with the headset was ahead of it's time. Socom 1 and 2 were great. 3 was sort of the breaking point though for me. The maps were too large, and the graphics felt like they took a hit because of it.

The lobby chat, the "guns up" and so on just make that game a classic.

MechaShadow84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Without a doubt, I miss Wave Race the most. Nintendo will never make another one. The last one (Blue Storm on GameCube in 2001) was a technical marvel, but Nintendo can't be bothered to push the bar even further.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gtxforza: that wii game with transforming bugs in cars. Powerstone 2, skies of arcadia, janky nba 2k2 not the new ones, 2d street fighters,

The installment of Excite series that I know you're referring to is Excitebots: Trick Racing which is the successor to Excite Truck.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Without a doubt, I miss Wave Race the most. Nintendo will never make another one. The last one (Blue Storm on GameCube in 2001) was a technical marvel, but Nintendo can't be bothered to push the bar even further.

I almost forgot about the Wave Race series.

gearsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Resistance. I really loved Resistance 3 and would love to play more in that world again.