Which of the next big JRPGs do you have the highest hopes for - Bloodborne, FFXV, P5 or X?

• 81 results
Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

Poll Which of the next big JRPGs do you have the highest hopes for - Bloodborne, FFXV, P5 or X? (277 votes)

Bloodborne 23%
Final Fantasy XV 12%
Persona 5 58%
Xenoblade Chronicles X 8%
Other (eg next Tales game, FF Type-0, etc) 1%

Which of the next big JRPGs are you looking forward to most or have the highest hopes for?

Personally, my vote has always and will always go to Persona 5 - but I'll likely pick up every game on this list bar X, since I have no plans to buy a Wii U.

• 
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By penguindust

Persona 5 without a doubt. I felt that P4 lacked the epic scope of P3, so I am hoping Atlus goes big with its next entry. It's the game I am most looking forward to next year.

Bloodborne is a JRPG by my definition which is simply a (digital) role-playing game made in Japan. Like Dragons Dogma, modern JRPGs can be more diverse than their predecessors.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

I'm really looking forward to both Bloodborne and Persona 5, but since Bloodborne isn't a JRPG I voted Persona.

ike7779

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#53  Edited By ike7779
Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

X for sure. Squeenix has burned too many bridges with the travesty that was XIII and its sequels. I never drank the Persona Koolaid. I watched the endurance run, but outside of some cool mechanics and a decent-ish plot, the majority of the game - the dungeons - looked fucking terrible. I might play P5 though, so I'll reserve ultimate judgement on it until I've actually experienced a Persona game. And Bloodborne's just not a JRPG.

Xenogears was a flawed masterpiece. Xenosaga was hit and miss. Xenoblade was easily the best JRPG of the last generation. Seems like Monolith finally got it together. It'll have to be something pretty special to get me to buy a WiiU for it though, especially since Nintendo has seen fit to region lock their bloody console and not even release it where I live. An imported WiiU runs around the same price as a PS4 - which I'd probably just buy instead. Games are around $85. Ugh.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Persona 5, of course.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bloodborne, but can you really count that as a JRPG?

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

Bloodborne by a MILE -- Might be a Day One purchase for me.

Persona, I might buy if it comes to PC. I don't really think I'd enjoy it on console.

Xenoblade, if I ever get a Wii U I'll probably check it out.

FF15 -- I don't know. I'll check the reviews. I'm doubtful

kpaadet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By kpaadet

Could all the "JRPG" snobs please help me define what that actually entails? I am very curious to know.

Anyway it was a tough choice between P5 or Bloodborne, ended up picking Bloodborne.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Zeik

@l33t_haxor: Persona coming to the PC. That's funny.

I fail to see how the PC would make it better though. It's very much a console style RPG.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

Persona 5 isn't just my most anticipated RPG, but my most anticipated game in general. And I'm not even much of a JRPG/anime guy.

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the human character art in X is laughably bad but the rest of that game is looking pretty nice.

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well XenoC set a really high bar but X seems more ambitious so I hopes it doesn't burn on it's way to the sun.

P5 is a given it'll be good, so i'm not worried, those guys know what they're doing by now, FFXV though... ¬_¬

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I'm gonna be honest, Dark Souls is probably the biggest JRPG that got me to stop playing JRPG off of Portables systems.

Avatar image for stealthmaster86
Stealthmaster86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

Persona 5 isn't just my most anticipated RPG, but my most anticipated game in general. And I'm not even much of a JRPG/anime guy.

Same here. Persona just woke something that I didn't think was possible. Liking a JRPG game and a bit of Anime. Thanks to Persona I've seen both the original anime and the Golden Animation. This also includes Psycho-Pass and its current Psycho-Pass 2.

therealnelsk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Sorry, Bloodborne is not a JPRG so this question is fundamentally flawed. Nonetheless, P5 is the obvious choice duders.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Bloodborne is not a JRPG. I know somebody a couple weeks ago tried to make a thread arguing the other side, but you can't suddenly decide that you're going to redefine the name of a genre that's been agreed upon for 15 years because you're choosing a different semantic interpretation. It's the same as people who cry about the term Roguelike: whether or not the game is actually 'like Rogue' in a literal sense, that is the widely agreed-upon name of the genre. Sorry; that's just how language works.

To answer the question:

Of those games: Bloodborne
Of those JRPGS: Persona 5

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

Very, very hard choice between Persona 5 and Bloodborne. A little more excited for Persona 5, because the entire Souls series was created and released 3 games (going on 4) since the last time a Persona game came out.

@karkarov said:

Bloodborne isn't really a JRPG in the sense most people mean it.

Agreed, but I think we all understand what he means.

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

As far as the titles listed I am the most excited for Persona 5 but that is all based on hope. So little information has been revealed about that game that I'm just imagining it's coolest thing ever despite knowing almost nothing about what it actually is.

The other titles I am anticipating that are not listed are Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines on the Vita and Tales of Zestiria.

Berserker976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can I just say I really like where this poll has gone?

Persona 5 is going to be quite an event.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@lentfilms said:

As far as the titles listed I am the most excited for Persona 5 but that is all based on hope. So little information has been revealed about that game that I'm just imagining it's coolest thing ever despite knowing almost nothing about what it actually is.

The other titles I am anticipating that are not listed are Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines on the Vita and Tales of Zestiria.

I hadn't actually heard of Oreshika - I hope it comes over and is well translated.

That said, in spite of playing 4-5 of them, I'm sad to say I haven't really loved a tales game other than Vesperia :( . I just threw it on as an example because I couldn't think of anything except the (oddly not mentioned thus far) Kingdom Hearts 3 (though that's more of a character action game I guess) - and I didn't want it to just be two square games.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think that the results of this poll would be as accurate as they would if Bloodborne wasn't included .Since most voters would be torn between voting for the next big game and the next big JRPG .

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

@lentfilms said:

I hadn't actually heard of Oreshika - I hope it comes over and is well translated.

That said, in spite of playing 4-5 of them, I'm sad to say I haven't really loved a tales game other than Vesperia :( . I just threw it on as an example because I couldn't think of anything except the (oddly not mentioned thus far) Kingdom Hearts 3 (though that's more of a character action game I guess) - and I didn't want it to just be two square games.

Oreshika was quietly announced by Sony for a Western release, along with Freedom Wars, earlier this year. Sony is localizing it themselves so I'm hoping it will at least be a decent translation (unlike some other recent Vita releases).

I became a fan of the Tales series after playing Xillia last year. Not every game in the series is great but every third title or so a real quality RPG comes out of the franchise. From what I've seen Zestiria is shaping up to be one of the good ones.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 ZolRoyce  Online

@afabs515 said:

If P5 doesnt win this poll in a landslide, I've been seriously misjudging this community for years.

Currently at 61%, yeah, we're on Giantbomb.com

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4
deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@giantlizardking said:

Bloodborne, but I don't consider that to be a JRPG.

I'm in this lot. I know it's an RPG from Japan, but we've had a thread discussing what "JRPG" typically means, and Bloodborne doesn't fall into that category.

But, Persona 5 does fit in the JRPG category, so I'll go with that.

Panelhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm always hopeful that FFXV might turn things around, but I have more faith in P5 to be actually good.

hacksword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By hacksword

Whichever games get released on the PC.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Shortbreadtom

I am hyped for all 3, but in order I'm probably most excited for Persona, then Bloodborne and then FFXV.

Sandyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't really seen much of Persona 5, so I don't really know what to expect. Wasn't there just a teaser?

Personally, I have the highest hopes for Final Fantasy XV at the moment although it's more of a cautious hope and that only hinges on the assumption that I will like the combat system.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Persona 5 or Final Fantasy XV for me.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@zeik: Basically I have to share my console with other people, while my PC is all mine.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@l33t_haxor: That's fair. That's part of the reason I prefer my consoles to PC.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

FFXV, I guess? Primarily because I don't really have any experience in those other series, unless you count Bloodborne as part of the Souls lineage. That would also fit my pattern of liking every other single-player FF game and hating the others. Since I'm of the opinion that FFXIII is without question the single worst Final Fantasy ever made, if the pattern holds it stands to reason I'll really like XV.

That said, I'm not thrilled with the action-oriented direction the series seems to be taking, and the concept art released so far has me worried the game is going to have the same super-generic-Japanese-sci-fi-modern-world-with-magic-but-where-people-still-use-swords-for-some-reason soullessness that plagued XIII. Also, they need to just stop with the stupid faux-latin names.

On second thought - I'm switching my answer to Bloodborne.