Which of these games that have been announced so far are you willing to bet will win GOTY 2011?

• 85 results
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By LiquidPrince
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By LiquidPrince

EDIT: I forgot to add an OTHER option, so if you disagree, just post what you think is a contender.

I can only imagine it now: a battle between Arkham City, Mass Effect 3, and Uncharted 3. To me, those are really the only contenders of the game of the year award, at least from the games that have been announced so far. I can only imagine the shouting matches that'll ensue, especially since they all come out year end and will be fresh in everyone's minds. I'm excited.

Edit: I'm just basing my excitement on past track records. Every game from those series has been great, so while I haven't played any of them, I have a sense of what the game may be like.

EDIT: I forgot to add an OTHER option, so if you disagree, just post what you think is a contender.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By jking47

You forgot Skyrim bro 

And arguing about what you think may be GOTY 2011 in Feb 2011 seems rather... inane.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#4  Edited By BeachThunder

*eye rolling emoticon*

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By LiquidPrince
@jking47 said:
" You forgot Skyrim bro   And arguing about what you think may be GOTY 2011 in Feb 2011 seems rather... inane. "
I don't know. I'm just basing my excitement on past track records. Every game from those series has been great, so while I haven't played any of them, I have a sense of what the game may be like.
Damolition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Damolition

I don't think any of those will will to be honest.
[edit]
Then again, I don't share GB's incredible adoration of Mass Effect.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By LiquidPrince
@Damolition said:
" I don't think any of those will will to be honest. "
What do you think will be a contender?
Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Skald

Only one of those games is even in my top three. I'd take Dragon Age over Mass Effect and Portal over Batman any day. 

Uncharted 3, on the other hand, is pure gold.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of those? Arkham City. 

I think Uncharted 3 will get criticized for being a rehash of the second game, and I feel like people will be pretty disappointed in Mass Effect 3 no matter what.  

But what's not on the poll? Skyrim. I think that game is going to blow people away. 

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By LiquidPrince
@extremeradical said:
" Only one of those games is even in my top three. I'd take Dragon Age over Mass Effect and Portal over Batman any day.  Uncharted 3, on the other hand, is pure gold. "
Those are indeed great choices. They were considered. I needed to put an an other option...
Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

If Mass Effect actually delivers on the promise of the last two games then there is no way it can't win.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By ESREVER

Wow, a war between two previous GoTY franchises. I bet the staff is looking forward to this year's GoTY debate. Glad I'm not them. 
Seriously, a lot of quality titles hitting this year. Its going to be a fierce battle, and an interesting one to watch at that. 

I'm rooting for Uncharted 3.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Well I've only played one game from 2011 so far, which was Ghost Trick.

I don't see any other game topping it. 

There's still a couple of games that I hope will be good though. To name a few:

Parasite Eve 3rd Birthday, Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, Tactics Ogre, Skyrim, and Human Revolution

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I still think that LA Noire and Deus Ex could be serious contenders. Then of course there's Rage, Skyrim, etc... 

Lots of good games this year. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@LordXavierBritish said:
" If Mass Effect actually delivers on the promise of the last two games then there is no way it can't win. "
I totally agree. But will it?  And more importantly, even if it does, will it match fans expectations that have been building since Mass Effect was first announced?

I personally don't think so. And that's not to say I'm not super-fucking-excited to play it, but I can't see it living up to what was promised. 
Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

@Soapy86 said:
" @LordXavierBritish said:
" If Mass Effect actually delivers on the promise of the last two games then there is no way it can't win. "
I totally agree. But will it?  And more importantly, even if it does, will it match fans expectations that have been building since Mass Effect was first announced? I personally don't think so. And that's not to say I'm not super-fucking-excited to play it, but I can't see it living up to what was promised.  "
If I don't have an option to become a Reaper by the end of that game then I don't even give a fuck.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LiquidPrince
@Soapy86 said:
" @LordXavierBritish said:
I totally agree. But will it?  And more importantly, even if it does, will it match fans expectations that have been building since Mass Effect was first announced? I personally don't think so. And that's not to say I'm not super-fucking-excited to play it, but I can't see it living up to what was promised.  "
People should stop trying to hype it up. I'm not even trying to imagine where that game will go. Also, people are dicks, so I have a feeling, that unless Shepard dies either heroically (paragon) or as a dick (dick... er renegade) then people will complain. It would be cool if the ending could be tied to your choices ala Mass Effect 2, whether you survive or not, and on some level I'm guessing it will be.
benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By benpack
@MooseyMcMan said:
" I still think that LA Noire and Deus Ex could be serious contenders.  "
I can totally see Noire being freaking amazing.
FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By FireBurger

LA Noire 
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 
Dragon Age 2 
Battlefield 3 

My personal will probably be Skyrim or BF3. Of the ones you listed, I'd bet on Arkham City for the staff's pick.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

MissionaryMarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By MissionaryMarr

Personally I feel Mass Effect 3 will win.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Animasta

I honestly don't know, I never got WHAT people saw in Uncharted 2 but the GB crew obviously loved it, and ME3 will probably just be ME2 again but in more space.

I hope Arkham City blows me away though, looking forward to it, and I really hope Portal 2 at least gets a mention. I think people underestimate that game.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By LiquidPrince
@Laketown said:
" I honestly don't know, I never got WHAT people saw in Uncharted 2 but the GB crew obviously loved it, and ME3 will probably just be ME2 again but in more space.  I hope Arkham City blows me away though, looking forward to it, and I really hope Portal 2 at least gets a mention. I think people underestimate that game. "
Uncharted looked amazing, sounded amazing, played amazing. What's not to get? It was polished to high heaven.
HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By HadesTimes

I bet Mass Effect 3.  But I'm thinking it will probably be RAGE.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#25  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I seriously have no idea at this point. I'm sure some game publications, including Giant Bomb, will be squeamish about giving Mass Effect game of the year twice in a row. Same with Batman and Uncharted, though maybe not as much. I would also put Skyrim up there, if only because people love them some open world Bethesda games. Of course, this assumes that all of these games are amazing. Which is still up in the air, considering we have 9 months for some of them.

skavanker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By skavanker

Is it only me that think uncharted is a bad Lara Croft/Tomb Raider ripoff?

usedtype

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By usedtype

I'm looking forward to Portal 2 more than any other game.  Jeff apparently really liked the first one and the idea of co-op Portal gameplay is interesting.  I think its got a better chance than some would give it credit.  But, hey, it's only February.  It's way way way too early to know for sure.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#28  Edited By yoshimitz707

It's got to be Skyrim!

Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Out of those three I would say Mass Effect 3, objectively. 

Personally I think the Mass Effect games are good but nowhere near amazing, and I wouldn't place them as my Games of The Year. I know the Uncharted games are good but I don't care about them. I loved the hell out of Batman: Arkham Asylum, so out of those 3 Arkham City would be my pick. 

I would have added Skyrim and Human Revolution because they could be some serious contenders, especially Skyrim.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By napalm
@LiquidPrince: It's quite depressing you only think established franchises can contend for Game Of The Year. Also, I love how bias this entire topic is, "hey, please pick, out of MY most anticipated games, in YOUR opinion will win Game Of The Year!" 
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By LiquidPrince
@Napalm:  There aren't that many new IP's coming out this year anyways. Those choices are what I think have the best shot. I made a mistake in not putting in a OTHER option, but I said as much and asked anyone who doesn't agree to post what they think will actually win, or is a contender. I don't understand why you're so bummed, and a tad antsy.
gabha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By gabha

If there's any justice in this world, Skyrim.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33  Edited By JJOR64

I could see Zelda: SW winning.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By napalm
@LiquidPrince: It's mainly because this topic is being started when we're not even out of Q1 of this year and it's being framed as "game of the year." Also, just because the previous game in a franchise is good, does not mean the sequel will be great. Look at Gears Of War 2 and Dead Space 2 for example: both are great games, but they both have huge missteps that sour the experience.
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By RsistncE

eww Mass Effect, most overrated series of all time. From that list it's going to be either Arkham City or Drake's Deception. Of course you forgot other heavy hitters such as Battlefield 3, inFamous 2, etc.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Animasta
@LiquidPrince said:
" @Laketown said:
" I honestly don't know, I never got WHAT people saw in Uncharted 2 but the GB crew obviously loved it, and ME3 will probably just be ME2 again but in more space.  I hope Arkham City blows me away though, looking forward to it, and I really hope Portal 2 at least gets a mention. I think people underestimate that game. "
Uncharted looked amazing, sounded amazing, played amazing. What's not to get? It was polished to high heaven. "
the shooting looked boring :|
napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By napalm
@RsistncE said:
" eww Mass Effect, most overrated series of all time. "
Says the guy with a fucking Call Of Duty avatar... and one made by Treyarch to boot...
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Animasta
@Napalm said:
" @RsistncE: Says the guy with a fucking Call Of Duty avatar... and one made by Treyarch to boot... "
yes, the guy who just mentioned battlefield 3...
napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By napalm
@Laketown: I said that in direct reference to Mass Effect being overrated, in his opinion. I probably should have quoted that. OWELL.
thebatmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By thebatmobile

Skyrim? At least that's what I'm most hyped about and it could probably grab the GOTY under the current circumstances. 

EDIT: But out of those three; TOTALLY BATMAN

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By RsistncE
@Laketown said:
" @Napalm said:
" @RsistncE: Says the guy with a fucking Call Of Duty avatar... and one made by Treyarch to boot... "
yes, the guy who just mentioned battlefield 3... "
What is it with people here? I can't have a goddamn piece of art as my avatar without apparently loving the Call of Duty series at the same time. Cognitive dissonance anyone? At least Laketown noticed I mentioned BF3 hahaha
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Animasta
@Napalm said:
" @Laketown: I said that in direct reference to Mass Effect being overrated, in his opinion. I probably should have quoted that. OWELL. "
you can't regard people's avatars when judging their game tastes dude, I could go change it to a picture of Mordin right now and I would still agree that ME is overrated.
napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By napalm
@Laketown: That doesn't make you any less crazy, but suit yourself. 

@RsistncE: Hey man, you threw the pitch and I stepped up to the plate. YOU CATCH'N WHAT I'M THOW'N?
Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#44  Edited By Little_Socrates

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. 

Oh, shit, wait...

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By RsistncE
@Napalm: Sounds to me kinda like you made a dumb assumption based on my avatar (which was totally wrong by the way) haha. Either way my point stands: ME is overrated and I think out of those 3 it will be more than likely Drake's Deception that wins but hopefully Arkham City (assuming it is as awesome of a sequel as they're making it out to be).
McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#46  Edited By McGhee

Here is the only viable answer.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By LiquidPrince
@Napalm said:

" @LiquidPrince: It's mainly because this topic is being started when we're not even out of Q1 of this year and it's being framed as "game of the year." Also, just because the previous game in a franchise is good, does not mean the sequel will be great. Look at Gears Of War 2 and Dead Space 2 for example: both are great games, but they both have huge missteps that sour the experience. "

And all of that is taken into consideration... The title says games that have been announced thus far, and in the topic I wrote that this is just based on past experiences with the previous games in the series.
napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By napalm
@RsistncE: That's not a dumb assumption. There are easily millions of images with dudes with guns you could have chosen, but you chose a critically acclaimed, high-profile videogame released last year. That doesn't seem like a coincidence to me. 

I mean, if you changed your avatar to a big, purple, throbbing cock, I'm pretty sure that making the assumption that you might be gay would not be out of the realm of possibility. 
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By RsistncE
@Napalm: Fair enough, but regardless, the last Call of Duty that I really enjoyed all around was Call of Duty 4 and that was on the PC.
napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By napalm
@RsistncE: Duuuuuude I love Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. Game Of The Year 2011: Modern Warfare. Gaming is done. Go home everybody! The pinnacle has been reached.