• 85 results
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

What's keeping you from playing Bioware games?

Bioware games like Mass Effect 2 netting a measly 2 million sales, there must be a whole lot of you who just don't dig their stuff. What about 'the Bioware Experience' isn't for you? 

Are Bioware Games that much of an aquired taste?
 Are Bioware Games that much of an aquired taste?

I was asking my WoW raid group recently, if they too played Dragon Age 2. Not one single one other than me did. Asking why, this is what they answered...

• Not digging controlling a whole group of characters
  • Too much reading/talking is boring

So the two hallmarks of Bioware games put off hardcore MMORPG players spending most of their freetime in virtual roleplaying worlds from playing Bioware games. Companions and excessive talking/reading. Go figure.
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Seppli
Side-topic:

I think Bioware needs to tap into the female market. The 'Bioware Experience' must be something the romance novel reading hausfrau would dig, if they only knew this stuff existed. That's were they potentially could expand their target audience without losing their soul.

Bioware need to hit that!
 Bioware need to hit that!
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

Because I don't know of any for old school consoles. At least Blizzard was porting its games to consoles, even if nobody really gave a crap.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By FreakAche

I'm pretty sure that while the general public isn't into BioWare games, there is a huge crossover between the people who do like their games, and the people who visit Giant Bomb. So yeah, don't expect a whole lot of insight from this thread.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Seppli
@FreakAche said:

" I'm pretty sure that while the general public isn't into BioWare games, there is a huge crossover between the people who do like their games, and the people who visit Giant Bomb. So yeah, don't expect a whole lot of insight from this thread. "

Yeah - that's seems to be the case. Where's the CoD crowd, when you need it?
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By crusader8463

Other then Dragon Age: Origins I haven't liked a Bioware game since Knights of the Old Republic. I hate how they keep dumbing down their games and removing the RPG in their RPG's every chance they get. I got my hopes up for The Old Republic after playing the Alpha and following it for so long, but other then that I don't care about a single thing they are doing with any of their franchises. Unless Dragon Age 3 goes back to being good like Dragon Age: Origins instead of the pile that was Dragon Age 2 anyway.

I though the first Mass Effect was ok, but it didn't blow me away. I really disliked what they did with the story for Mass Effect 2, the gameplay changes, and other then one character I hated all the new cast. I have zero interest in Mass Effect 3, but I will wait until we see more of what they are going to do with the gameplay before I write it off too.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#7  Edited By donutfever
@Seppli said:
" @FreakAche said:

" I'm pretty sure that while the general public isn't into BioWare games, there is a huge crossover between the people who do like their games, and the people who visit Giant Bomb. So yeah, don't expect a whole lot of insight from this thread. "

Yeah - that's seems to be the case. Where's the CoD crowd, when you need it? "
Playing CoD.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Hardcore MMORPG players are anomalies when it comes to general game taste, I would suspect.

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jmfinamore

I generally don't like the gameplay, as I don't really enjoy strategy/RPG games. I find the presentation to be really bad and turns me off most of their games. The story/setting usually aren't interesting to me either. 

Outside of ME2, I've never really wanted to play any of their games/haven't enjoyed the ones I've played. 

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#10  Edited By Hailinel

Dragon Age was fun, but after hearing about all of the changes that they were making for DA2 and how they were eliminating many of the things I liked about the original, I decided not to bother with the sequel.  Because why support something I'm not fond of.

As for Mass Effect, I tried the Mass Effect 2 PS3 demo, and I hated it.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@Seppli said:
  • Not digging controlling a whole group of characters
  • Too much reading/talking is boring
You just described like half the RPGs ever made. 

Maybe they just don't like a lot of RPGs.
Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Enigma777

Only crazy people don't like Bioware games. Crazy, I tell ya!

Avatar image for redeyesbluebunny
RedEyesBlueBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RedEyesBlueBunny

i played dragon age origins and mass effect a little, but with both of them i didn't get very far, found them boring and didn't have any interest to continue playing them. They don't have interesting settings and i don't like the gameplay in either, so it's just not for me. i figure it's a similar case for a lot of people

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By Driadon
@DonutFever said:
" @Seppli said:
" @FreakAche said:

Yeah - that's seems to be the case. Where's the CoD crowd, when you need it? "
Playing CoD. "
And ONLY CoD. 
metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By metalmoog

I think it's probably because they are overly complicated in the beginning. When my brother in law was going through the KotOR in game tutorial at the beginning, my eyes were glazing over. The same can be said for Dragon Age, it's overly complicated and complex and that only appeals to a certain type of gamer. Most aren't willing to invest the time it takes to learn them. I did, and loved them both but I waste far too much of my life playing video games.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Spoonman671

Dragon Age is the only Bioware game I've liked.  I find most of them lacking in the gameplay department, which is kind of important for, you know... a game.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Jimbo
@FreakAche said:
Agreed.  They already have the audience that uses game forums, it's the (much bigger) mainstream/casual audience they haven't really managed to break into.  Seems like to break 4-5 million or higher, you really need to be selling to the guys and girls that only pick up maybe two or three games a year, which means very accessible games with broad appeal and tons of marketing.  Assassin's Creed and Fable I understand - still not quite sure how Fallout managed the crazy sales it did.

If they can consistently sell 'only' 2 million copies they don't really have a lot to worry about though - that ought to be a perfectly healthy and profitable return for them.  If they start chasing higher sales -by say, making a straight FPS or TPS- they could just as easily be less successful as more successful.  It's not like Vanquish or Homefront are out there selling 5 million copies.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#18  Edited By JJWeatherman

You should have used this picture in your OP: 

No Caption Provided

I couldn't tell you though. I love BioWare games.
Fontan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Fontan
@Hailinel said:
 As for Mass Effect, I tried the Mass Effect 2 PS3 demo, and I hated it. "
Same thing here. Just felt like a shooter. I really enjoyed the first one on the PC, though.
cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By cornbredx

I like all Bioware games so far (even the old ones before KOtOR)
I have no problem with Dragon Age 2, I just haven't bought it yet. I want to wait until I upgrade my PC for that one.

That being said, asking "hardcore" MMO RPG players (as you put it) is a good reason they don't play DA2. Hardcore MMORPG players don't buy that many other games. I know because I used to do this to save money. Dont get me wrong, they play other games from time to time, but for the most part they're playing their MMO of choice.

Also, reasons you listed for them not playing is kind of funny. All MMOs have that problem, but you can skip it instead of dealing with it. I'm guessing these "hardcore MMO players" aren't much into lore and therefore not much into traditional RPGs. I find this most common in WoW players- although wow being the biggest MMO and me being unable to quantify this, that is really moot I suppose.

Anyway, nothing keeps me from playing Bioware games. They're solid experiences and from what I can tell becoming the modern day FMV games only not FMV but still heavily relying on story (granted they're much better told stories as well). My point is they seem to be the more cinematic experiences of current gaming- similar to FMV only generally good. This is not everyone's cup o' tea. I personally enjoy it.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kishan6
@MetalMoog said:
" I think it's probably because they are overly complicated in the beginning. When my brother in law was going through the KotOR in game tutorial at the beginning, my eyes were glazing over. The same can be said for Dragon Age, it's overly complicated and complex and that only appeals to a certain type of gamer. Most aren't willing to invest the time it takes to learn them. I did, and loved them both but I waste far too much of my life playing video games. "
try stalker lol
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Example1013

I'm more of a Bethesda or Snowblind guy. 

WHEN IS SNOWBLIND MAKING CHAMPIONS: NEXT GEN!?

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By soldierg654342

My biggest 2 problems with BioWare games are the so-called "morale choices" and the extraneous romances. The morale choices usually boil down to "play the game twice to see all the content!" and the romances are award, slightly embarrassing to participate in, and ultimately meaningless short of a few stat points here and there.  

But for the sake of full disclousre, I've only played the first 3 hours of the first ME of Xbox and all of DA:O on the PS3. I didn't like ME's brand of Sci-Fi and I found DA:O to be astoundingly boring. Except for the fire tornadoes. Those were pretty awesome.     

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By Slaker117
@Fontan said:

" @Hailinel said:

As for Mass Effect, I tried the Mass Effect 2 PS3 demo, and I hated it. "
Same thing here. Just felt like a shooter. I really enjoyed the first one on the PC, though. "
I'm just curious, for people who like ME1 but not 2, did you actually enjoy the combat in the first one? I really liked both, but in 1 I did so in spite of the gameplay.
ApolloJ85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By ApolloJ85

I really enjoyed Mass Effect, but since then I just haven't found any of Bioware's storytelling to be compelling. I get this strange sense of deja vu, all over again.
To be fair, I don't have a problem with any other aspect of Bioware games, it's just that the narrative is most important to me, and in all but one case, Bioware games that I've played have been shit/lazy when it comes to telling a good story.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@Seppli said: 
  • Too much reading/talking is boring"
I really, really hate people sometimes.
VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By VWGTI

I hated Dragon Age Origins, KOTOR, Jade Empire, and Mass Effect. I enjoyed Mass Effect 2 for what it was, but to me it wasn't really an RPG. It was an action game with a cool dialogue tree and a mundane leveling system. I've come to the conclusion that Western RPG's just aren't my cup of tea.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#28  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I play BioWare games. By which I mean Mass Effect games. 

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Enigma777
@example1013 said:
" I'm more of a Bethesda or Snowblind guy.  WHEN IS SNOWBLIND MAKING CHAMPIONS: NEXT GEN!? "
Probably when they finish that awesome-looking LOTR game.
Fontan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Fontan
@Slaker117:  I actually did enjoy the combat in the first one. Yes, it is clunky as most people complain, but I never got into it expecting it to handle like a shooter. I can understand that the game is actually calculating my stats and "dice rolls" when I'm aiming for a geth. I guess I'm used with RPG mechanics and expected it to behave like that, so it didn't let me down.
Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Potter9156

I bought every Bioware game this gen thus far. 

Do I get a pat on the back?

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Example1013
@MetalMoog said: 

" I think it's probably because they are overly complicated in the beginning. When my brother in law was going through the KotOR in game tutorial at the beginning, my eyes were glazing over. The same can be said for Dragon Age, it's overly complicated and complex and that only appeals to a certain type of gamer. Most aren't willing to invest the time it takes to learn them. I did, and loved them both but I waste far too much of my life playing video games. "

You know, I actually think Origins was a fairly simplistic system, even in the most arcane aspects of it. 

@SoldierG654342 said:
" My biggest 2 problems with BioWare games are the so-called "morale choices" and the extraneous romances. The morale choices usually boil down to "play the game twice to see all the content!" and the romances are award, slightly embarrassing to participate in, and ultimately meaningless short of a few stat points here and there.   But for the sake of full disclousre, I've only played the first 3 hours of the first ME of Xbox and all of DA:O on the PS3. I didn't like ME's brand of Sci-Fi and I found DA:O to be astoundingly boring. Except for the fire tornadoes. Those were pretty awesome.      "
Go to Youtube and look up Storm of the Century for Origins. It's probably the most amazing spell I've cast in a game ever that I didn't make myself. 

@Enigma777: Yeah, that looks pretty good. With their track record (every ARPG they've made has been nothing short of awesome), I'm pretty sure it'll be a wicked fun game. BUT...I want more of NORRATH!!!
Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By Slaker117
@Fontan: My problem isn't that it feels like rolling dice, I can enjoy some tactical action rpgs, but that it wasn't tactical. I beat it on the hardest difficulty playing it like a shooter easily, just accepting that some shots would miss for whatever reason. I didn't feel like the RPG elements added anything to the gameplay besides making my gun more reliable. The powers and such were all secondary. Maybe I was playing it wrong, but I was glad that they decided to streamline all that. Only thing I missed from ME1 in 2 was a strong central plot and loot.
Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

" The 'Bioware Experience' must be something the romance novel reading hausfrau would dig  "

This is something that would make me stop buying Bioware games, the romances are bad enough as it is.
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Example1013
@Potter9156: Nah, I think you get a hole in your wallet.
Fontan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Fontan
@Slaker117: On that I agree, it truly wasn't tactical, not deeply anyway. I did however play as an Adept and had to rely on my powers as my shooting abilities were rather limited with the class. Had a lot of fun making geth float.
WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By WickedFather

Dullness.  The scripting is so bloody lifeless.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Back on the Xbox1 KotoR came out and I bought that from all the raving reviews. I had fun with it but didn't like the diceroll combat aspect. Bought Mass Effect 1 and 2 on Steam for real cheap and tried around 20 minutes of 1 and haven't touched 2 yet.  

Skipped Dragon Age 1 and played the demo of Dragon Age 2 until getting to the character creation part and I just turned it off. 

I don't play Bioware games for the same reason I don't play Bethesda games. They're a "slow burn" and I'm more "instant gratification". One isn't better or worse than the other, it's just preference.
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Example1013
@LunarAura: BUT...BUT...FIREBALLS
yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By yinstarrunner
Maybe it's simply because WRPG's have always been kind of a niche genre that most people won't be into.  They're complex and slow-paced, two things that are kryptonite to today's mainstream gamers.  Bioware's trying to appeal to them by stripping out those mechanics bit by bit, but the nature of their games is still quite a slow burn.

@Slaker117

said:

I'm just curious, for people who like ME1 but not 2, did you actually enjoy the combat in the first one? I really liked both, but in 1 I did so in spite of the gameplay. "

Opposite for me.  Didn't mind the first one's gameplay at all, still felt very RPG-like with tons of character development throughout the game which is something I think a 30-hour experience like that needs.

Mass Effect 2's gameplay had me bored to tears about halfway through.  I almost had to force myself to finish the game.  The game still did a bunch of things well narratively, but it wasn't enough to win me over.
First of all, neither Mass Effect's nor Mass Effect 2's shooting felt all that great to me.  Mass Effect had plenty of RPG mechanics to keep me interested, though, whereas Mass Effect 2 played more like a generic third person shooter.
I wouldn't mind it so much if I didn't have to play it for 30 hours.
There's a reason nobody makes shooters that are 30 hours long.
2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#41  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

Mass Effect 2 sold only 2 million? ... I find it hard to believe that.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#42  Edited By Hailinel
FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#43  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I love BioWare's old school games, and KotoR as well. I haven't played Dragon Age yet, though I might it buy tomorrow.

I hate the Mass Effect series though, especially ME2. Characters, story, and gameplay were all terrible in my opinion. I'll continue to play Bioware games, except for anything that is ME related.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By BraveToaster

I'm starting to think that you work for Bioware.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Akeldama
@Enigma777 said:
" Only crazy people don't like Bioware games. Crazy, I tell ya! "
Then I must be bat shit loopy.
GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By GreggD

But...but I am! HOW DARE YOU ACCUSE ME OF SUCH BULLSHIT!

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Patman99

I love Bioware. Not only do they make my favorite genre of games (RPG) but they are also Canadian!!! Im pretty sure I have boughten every Bioware game since Baldur's gate except maybe that sonic game...

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By IBurningStar

First Bioware game I ever played was Baldur's Gate. The best Bioware game I ever played was Baldur's Gate II. The last Bioware game I completed was Mass Effect 2. I have pretty much played every one of their games between those. Over the time period I guess I have gotten use to how their games tend to flow, and I accepted their short comings a long time ago. In my opinion, their main story lines tend to be sort of weak. KOTOR has arguably their best central storyline. Arguably. I personally think BG2 has the best story, villain, and party members, but a lot of people don't agree with that. 

Now, outside of those two games, the stories tend to be kind of bland. Dragon Age is sort of generic. If I wasn't use to slow burn sort of games, I probably wouldn't see the appeal. But their games are usually very rewarding to the people who can get past their unimpressive beginnings and stick with them. I mean, the combat isn't always that great until further in the game. You don't really experience Bioware's story telling strengths until you get to know and interact with the characters a lot. Because they are usually the best part of the thing. Mass Effect 2 barely has a story if you take out the character recruitment and loyalty missions.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#49  Edited By mutha3

I don't like WRPG's. I think they have shit-gameplay. DA being no exception.

I mildly enjoyed the first  ME, though.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By GreggD
@mutha3: As opposed to the menu navigating of JRPGs?