Why isn't PS Vita a phone?

Tenshin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Tenshin

The PSV (I am calling it, that's how it will be known) :P looks so great and the $250 price, WOW, but goddamn I was so expecting it to have phone capabilities! Goddamn. 

It already has 3G which I assume will work with a SIM card or phone card or something! How ultra freaking tiny the "phone chip" and the "antenna" must be? It already has a great processor and touch screen and camera and gps and a battery on it, how much does it cost to make it a phone? 5$? There are complete cellphones for 20$ at the store... bleh. :P It would destroy any other phone for me.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By the8bitNacho

Because then they would be competing with the two-thousand pound juggernaut that is Apple's iPhone, and they probably don't want to do that. The only reason Android is even contending at this point is because there are just so many phones out there the utilizing the OS. At this point the iPhone is to mobile phones as WoW is to MMOs, and we've seen how attempts to penetrate THAT market have gone.

Honestly, Sony made a smart move in not making this a cell phone.

Tenshin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Tenshin

You mean the psv would be on the phone shelf instead of the game section of the store? Yeah, I could see that. But would it hurt sales, you think? Wouldn't 3x more people get it since it's also a phone.

It's not a phone that's also a game console (like n-gage or iphone), it's a game console that's also a phone. Would be, anyway.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Dude, I wish it was a phone. I'm going to soon buy a cell phone for the very first time ever. I would have waited it out for the PSV if it would also work as a phone. I agree, man. All other phones would bow before it.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By JJWeatherman

Because then it would be the N-Gage, and we all know how that turned out.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Because if it was a phone people wouldn't buy it as a gaming console and it will sell a lot more as a gaming console and not as a phone that can play games.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#7  Edited By the8bitNacho

@Tenshin said:

It's not a phone that's also a game console (like n-gage or iphone), it's a game console that's also a phone. Would be, anyway.

The problem is that, assuming don't own a cell phone and/or aren't an AT&T customer, you suddenly have to lock yourself into a contract and monthly fee to purchase your handheld gaming device. That's just how phones work. It's a barrier to entry that I believe any device primarily conceived as a gaming platform would shatter against. It's why the iPhone is a phone first and a gaming device second.

Tenshin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Tenshin

Here in Portugal, Europe, you can buy the full phone outright and then pick whatever payment plan or company you want. And I wouldn't mind paying the full 300$ for PSV and then have it unlocked. Don't need to buy it for 100$ and be locked into a 2 year contract like you said. But yeah I GET IT, phone industry sucks and that would be the only way to get it.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Ghostiet

I don't really care for some sidetalking.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I use my phone for text messaging.  I think I actually dial a number maybe twice a week.

CarpetRemnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CarpetRemnant

Why isn't the XBox 360 a fridge?

Tenshin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Tenshin
@Leakster: Yeah XBOX already a dvd player, music player, media center, movie rental, it's even got internet tv now.
Realistically I only have room for 1 portable device when I leave home and I would love it for it to be my DS or PSP, but... it's just not. It's my phone. And my games end up never leaving home.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By penguindust

If the PSV was a phone, what would happen to the PS phone, the Sony Ericsson Xperia Play?  They just released that product and now they introduce something that invalidates its existence?  As much as Jeff and the crew live lifestyles that would suggest otherwise, there is a market (perhaps a smaller one than Sony would like) that wants more from a handheld game than Angry Birds and other quick play titles.  Sony is trying to appeal to multiple segments of the marketplace.  It won't be successful with all of them, but that's how business usually works.  The Xperia Play is supposed to be their gaming phone while the PSV will be a gaming handheld. 

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By Castiel

Because it would be a ugly-ass phone then!

End of story, end of thread.

R.I.P.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Doctorchimp
@Castiel said:

Because it would be a ugly-ass phone then!

End of story, end of thread.

R.I.P.

@Kombat said:

@Tenshin said:

The problem is that, assuming don't own a cell phone and/or aren't an AT&T customer, you suddenly have to lock yourself into a contract and monthly fee to purchase your handheld gaming device. That's just how phones work. It's a barrier to entry that I believe any device primarily conceived as a gaming platform would shatter against. It's why the iPhone is a phone first and a gaming device second.

Well I don't think that PS Vita has to only be a phone.

Why not have a third model with AT&T that has phone capabilities. Yeah it would be awkward to take calls on it, all the more reason to make sure you have your little bluetooth headset in your pocket.

Cause really I think most people take calls sparingly and rack up texts like it's going out of style....(at least I do) 

But as someone already pointed out, Sony already played their "HERE'S A TRUE GAMER PHONE" with that PS Phone and X-peria nonsense.
Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Doctorchimp
@Tenshin said:
@Leakster: Yeah XBOX already a dvd player, music player, media center, movie rental, it's even got internet tv now. Realistically I only have room for 1 portable device when I leave home and I would love it for it to be my DS or PSP, but... it's just not. It's my phone. And my games end up never leaving home.
So true, really between work and classes I only have enough room in my head for 3 mandatory things. A trinity of my car keys, wallet, and phone. Then I have a bag for work and a book bag for school.

However if that Vita thing was a phone. .....I'm pretty sure I'd say fuck all this Android-iPhone arms race business and just go for the Vita. Which has to last at least 3 years, so you don't feel like an out of date bum in 6 months.

I don't think I'd be able to fit that thing in my pocket....maybe I would. Hard Plastic case to shove in my back pocket to sit on it? Leave it in my bag at all times, just have a ringer instead of vibrate and turn it off during classes? Do I want to give up my life of texting during lectures?

I'm thinking too much about trying to make a bulky phone work. Especially since I don't ever sit around waiting on my schedule long enough to really get into a deep game outside of my house.

Ah well.
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By MysteriousBob
@JJWeatherman said:

This. 
Either make a phone or make a handheld.
sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By sopranosfan

There are so few GOOD games that are EASY to play on the Iphone/Ipod that I would have lost all interest the second they tried to make it a phone.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19  Edited By KaosAngel

They'd get fucking raped by Apple.

The iPhone 5 is due out the same time as the PS Vita...what do you think will sell more this holiday? iPhone 5 or PS Vita?

Avatar image for iichristian89ii
IIChristian89II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By IIChristian89II
@Leakster said:

exactly!
krisgebis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By krisgebis

Good question

"It will get raped by iPhone" is a stupid response. It might be, but it's the same case if it had phone functionality or not. If you want what the iPhone offers (game wise) then you buy the iPhone, if you want that the PSV offers then you buy the PSV. If PSV had phone functionality but you would rather use your iPhone for calls, then its still the same question of what kind of games you prefer: EXACTLY like if it didn't have phone functionality.

I guess if comes down to the good old: "How much more would it cost to add" compared to: "How many more/less are gonna buy"

piropeople13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By piropeople13

You'd have to give Qualcomm their chunk of flesh for complex phone circuitry, jump through more hoops for standards compliance, blow power consumption and heat thresholds that they already set up out of the water.  Just use the 3g data and voip.  Im sure they will release Skype for it like they did with the original PSP. 

Edit:  Oh wait Microsoft bought Skype, shit.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#23  Edited By monkeyking1969

The phone is the least used feature on most smart phones...why copy the LEAST used feature that adds the most headaches. There risk reward on a phone is skewed so far away from being a phone that it is funny the iPhone is even a phone.

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By Gonmog

It would suck....i mean fucking really phones are not really good gaming systems, because as you play you drain a ton of battery, on the iphone 4 i can play maybe a hour and a half or 2 or so of dead space before my phone is dead.

A dead phone is a fucking useless phone. Most people own phones to use as a texting or web browsing system. You wont be doing much gaming on it if your worried it will go dead.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By ajamafalous

@JJWeatherman said:

Basically this.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FacelessVixen

Every handheld doesn't have to be a phone.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By nintendoeats

The cases both for and against making it a phone are very strong. On the whole, they are probably better off staying out of the issue and leaving it a game platform. They can always add a phone later if they want to.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By TwoOneFive

because they already made the Xperia Play. and the Vita would be big as fuck

Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Twitchey

Because Sony already has a phone coming out. This is the PSP on steroids.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#30  Edited By Yanngc33

@TwoOneFive said:

because they already made the Xperia Play. and the Vita would be big as fuck

And you'd have to hold it like a taco to make phone calls and take the battery out to play games

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MysteriousBob said:

@JJWeatherman said:

This. Either make a phone or make a handheld.

It was a very different market when the N-Gage was released. That and it was just kinda shit.

Fishstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Fishstick
Hold, please. Call incoming!
Hold, please. Call incoming!
Law313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By Law313

Most likely, Sony doesnt want the Vita to compete with its Playstation Branded phone. Sorta like how Nintendo didnt want the Wii U controller to interfere with its 3DS sales.

blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34  Edited By blackbird415

because then that would compete with their playstation phone product on verizon the experia play. Companies do weird things for weird reasons.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Karl_Boss
@Leakster said:

It's more like a microwave with the way it heats up.