Why We're Not Reviewing Battlefield 1943 Yet

John_Bender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By John_Bender
@TwoOneFive:  Guess their trying to see what both versions are like. If they reviewed just the PSN version without the X-Box, there would be a lot of angry X-Box users. I think if its a game on both systems the reviewers play both versions first. It would be stupid otherwise.
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#52  Edited By Branthog

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Branthog

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#54  Edited By citizenkane
@Keyser_Soze said:
" Just review the PS3 version Brad. It's not often you see this kind of gracious attitude being shown to a buggy game on an alternative platform. M$ Bias anyone? Are you now taking Microsoft IOU'S? Have Japanese businessmen been smuggling some "fake" treasury bonds into the GB offices "
You're blowing this way out of proportion, don't you think?
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Branthog

Yzzerdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#56  Edited By Yzzerdd

No bots no buy, I don't care how brain dead they are I just want something to kill when I don't want to stare at "FINDING MATCH........DISCONNECTED"

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#57  Edited By giyanks22

Looks pretty good...

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Branthog

Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#59  Edited By Guardian
@CitizenKane said:
" @Keyser_Soze said:
" Just review the PS3 version Brad. It's not often you see this kind of gracious attitude being shown to a buggy game on an alternative platform. M$ Bias anyone? Are you now taking Microsoft IOU'S? Have Japanese businessmen been smuggling some "fake" treasury bonds into the GB offices "
You're blowing this way out of proportion, don't you think? "
Why not? If the two games are identical (aside from server overload on the 360) why not review it on PS3? I don't understand. 
Yzzerdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Yzzerdd
@Branthog said:
" @Yzzerdd said:
" No bots no buy, I don't care how brain dead they are I just want something to kill when I don't want to stare at "FINDING MATCH........DISCONNECTED" "
Cheerleaders. Or don't you have a basement? "
What part of this game did you work on? Community manager?
demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#61  Edited By demonbear
@Branthog said:
" @TwoOneFive said:
" @demonbear said:
" I got only one question about that game. I have Warhawk on the ps3 and i never play it because, well, i suck too much. Is this basically the exact same experience but with a different setting? Because i'd like to like these games, but getting your ass kicked is not very fun after a while.... "
absolutely- and to tell you the truth. i think Warhawk is a much better game- way, way, WAY more features. 
"
Agreed. I mentioned this in another thread -- Warhawk is a far superior game. Especially after the expansions. Of course, Warhawk is also a much more expensive game, so there's a bit of adjustment to make there review-wise. If you enjoy BF then it's definitely worth $15, even if you have Warhawk. If you dont' want to part with $15 or you're not a huge BF fan, then I'd just stick with Warhawk. Or if you're no good at Warhawk and don't want to play that, maybe skip them both. :) "
Thanks guys, i'll pass on this one then. I wonder is brad will make the reference to warhawk in his review for comparison purposes, they are after all, pretty similar games.
khhus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By khhus

Does the gane become boring after awhile with only 3 maps and 3 classes?

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#63  Edited By Crono

I was under the impression it was Giant Bomb's rule to review a game in its released state and not go back for a review.  At least that is their stance on MMOs and what not from awhile back.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#64  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
@Crono said:
" I was under the impression it was Giant Bomb's rule to review a game in its released state and not go back for a review.  At least that is their stance on MMOs and what not from awhile back. "
This move makes a lot of sense. Bugs happen. It's hard to KNOW what is going to happen when you release a game, ESPECIALLY one that relies entirely on networking code and large numbers of servers and people on those servers. Their reviewing the game, not the community, not the launch network condition.
kagekage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#65  Edited By kagekage

This is exactly MY problem.
Why don't you just review the PS3 version instead.
I know you need the Xbox version to cross reference it, but I bet you've played enough during your quick look and probably time at home.

Hoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Hoffer

I haven't been able to get into a match yet.  I tried Wednesday and earlier tonight.  We'll get to 43 million kills before I get one.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Branthog
@Yzzerdd said:
" @Branthog said:
" @Yzzerdd said:
" No bots no buy, I don't care how brain dead they are I just want something to kill when I don't want to stare at "FINDING MATCH........DISCONNECTED" "
What part of this game did you work on? Community manager? "
Huh? Why does killing cheerleaders and stuffing them in your basement have anything to do with game development?! Or is it part of the QA process?
CylonAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#68  Edited By CylonAndrew

I now want to play BF 1942.

Yzzerdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Yzzerdd
@Branthog said:
" @Yzzerdd said:
" @Branthog said:
" @Yzzerdd said:
Huh? Why does killing cheerleaders and stuffing them in your basement have anything to do with game development?! Or is it part of the QA process? "
How dare anyone have a negative opinion about anything.  Mad about something not working? Get out cheerleader!

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Branthog
@Yzzerdd said:
" @Branthog said:
" @Yzzerdd said:
" @Branthog said:
" @Yzzerdd said:
Huh? Why does killing cheerleaders and stuffing them in your basement have anything to do with game development?! Or is it part of the QA process? "
How dare anyone have a negative opinion about anything.  Mad about something not working? Get out cheerleader! "
Man, I am still completely confused by your reply. You said you wanted something to kill when you don't want to stare at the crappy "finding match..." screen. I suggested cheerleaders, unless you don't have a basement to stuff them in.... and then... uh... well, your replies above. Also, aren't people who complain about something kind of the opposite of a cheerleader? I'm pretty sure they are.
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Branthog
@Crono said:
" I was under the impression it was Giant Bomb's rule to review a game in its released state and not go back for a review.  At least that is their stance on MMOs and what not from awhile back. "

I understand it to be two different things. The common and expected problem of not being able to ramp up server capacity fast enough versus, if I recall the other reviews accurately, actual bugs.
Yzzerdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Yzzerdd
@Branthog said:
" @Yzzerdd said:
" @Branthog said:
" @Yzzerdd said:
" @Branthog said:
" @Yzzerdd said:
How dare anyone have a negative opinion about anything.  Mad about something not working? Get out cheerleader! "
Man, I am still completely confused by your reply. You said you wanted something to kill when you don't want to stare at the crappy "finding match..." screen. I suggested cheerleaders, unless you don't have a basement to stuff them in.... and then... uh... well, your replies above. Also, aren't people who complain about something kind of the opposite of a cheerleader? I'm pretty sure they are. "
Oh sorry my bad, I thought you were calling the many people pissed at the game not working cheerleaders, I've seen people on boards  use it to describe when people start rallying behind something. Sorry for the confusion.
Roger_Klotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Roger_Klotz

I have to say that I'm really enjoying the game and they are fixing alot the issues with it. The game is great for $15 and holds well in graphics and gameplay.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#74  Edited By ImperiousRix

The one good session I've had with the game, it was great.
However, since Wednesday, I've been having problems connecting to games at all.  Today, they seemed to finally have ironed those problems out, only to now have the game be so laggy that it's unplayable.  Stack the fact that the "play with friends" option is utterly broken, and I'm pretty fucking enfuriated with the game right now.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Branthog
@khhus said:
" Does the gane become boring after awhile with only 3 maps and 3 classes? "
I've only played about four hours, but it hasn't lost an ounce yet. I mean, short of a medic, every game really just has three classes. They just boiled it down here. You have the anti-infantry long range guy. You have the mid-range anti-tank guy. You have the long/close range sniper. So far I haven't thought for a moment "gee, I wish I had 50 differnet guns to choose from". Though... that would be totally awesome if we did, frankly.

My only complaint is about the fourth map that will be unlocked in a few days. From the video they've presented, it looks like it's an AIRCRAFT ONLY map. I'm sure that's going to bore the absolute shit out of a lot of people. Myself, included.
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Branthog
@Yzzerdd said:
" @Yzzerdd said: Oh sorry my bad, I thought you were calling the many people pissed at the game not working cheerleaders, I've seen people on boards  use it to describe when people start rallying behind something. Sorry for the confusion. "
Oh! Okay, your response completely makes sense now. :D

Of course, it could all have just been a ruse on your part to dissuade us all from suspecting that you really DO have cheerleaders buried in your basement and a huge stack of bloody pom-poms in your closet. :P
khhus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By khhus
@Branthog:  Thanks for the reply :) - Hmm, I might give the game a try then.. I was debating between this and Trine (yeah two completely different genres :P). I was just afraid that the fun-factor would die quickly.

Man, I hope the 4th map isn't an Airplane-only one. That would bore the hell out of me too!
Pinkshley1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Pinkshley1

All these people bitching "why dont you review it for PSN then, you bias?" No hes not biased. He bought it for Xbox 360, and he probably doesnt feel like paying for it all over again on PSN just so he can review it for you.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Branthog

khhus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By khhus
@Branthog: I agree regarding the lack of levels in Trine, but we also have to factor in the 3 different classes, which adds some replay value (well.. depends if the 12 levels are long and fun).

I absolutely LOVED Battlefield 2, I can't count the number of hours I've spent playing it back in the days. So many good memories... If only they re-did the whole game using 1943's engine and increase the price a bit.

I guess that's what's going to happen in the long run though  - Constant DLC content spread over a year or two (maybe more?) in order to keep the game in the spotlight, while still attracting new players... I just have a feeling they're holding back intentionally on the content.

Thanks again for your input :)
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#81  Edited By TwoOneFive

i don't know guys, but I've seen similar situations in the past and nobody gave a shit because it was the PS3 version that was slacking.

khhus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By khhus

It's simple, the 360 has a bigger user-base than the PS3 in North-America. Failing to consider the 360 version of the game would annihilate a large user-base.

I'm not saying the 360 is better - I have both consoles and enjoy them both - It's just that the 360 version of the game is probably more popular.

My 2 cents.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By TwoOneFive
@Pinkshley1 said:
" All these people bitching "why dont you review it for PSN then, you bias?" No hes not biased. He bought it for Xbox 360, and he probably doesnt feel like paying for it all over again on PSN just so he can review it for you. "
i don't think he had to pay for it out of his own pocket. its like a write-off or something. Besides, Jeff explained in his response to this thread that they are playing both versions (as brad noted in the article), therefore they have both already. 

I say the heck with it and just review it. It didn't stop anyone when Gears 2 was taking 15 minutes plus for matchmaking to work. 
Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Agnogenic_delete
@TwoOneFive: They didn't have multiplayer problems before Gears 2 was open to the masses. When the reviewers were just playing they didn't have any problems. :)
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By TwoOneFive
@demonbear said:
" @Branthog said:
" @TwoOneFive said:
" @demonbear said:
" I got only one question about that game. I have Warhawk on the ps3 and i never play it because, well, i suck too much. Is this basically the exact same experience but with a different setting? Because i'd like to like these games, but getting your ass kicked is not very fun after a while.... "
absolutely- and to tell you the truth. i think Warhawk is a much better game- way, way, WAY more features. 
"
Agreed. I mentioned this in another thread -- Warhawk is a far superior game. Especially after the expansions. Of course, Warhawk is also a much more expensive game, so there's a bit of adjustment to make there review-wise. If you enjoy BF then it's definitely worth $15, even if you have Warhawk. If you dont' want to part with $15 or you're not a huge BF fan, then I'd just stick with Warhawk. Or if you're no good at Warhawk and don't want to play that, maybe skip them both. :) "
Thanks guys, i'll pass on this one then. I wonder is brad will make the reference to warhawk in his review for comparison purposes, they are after all, pretty similar games. "
yeah he definitely should- but than again- clearly Brad doesn't play, and probably didn't play, Warhawk at all because he's a XBL only kinda guy. i dont mean that as an insult at all, i just reread it and it came off to me like i was saying he was bias or something. 
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By TwoOneFive
@Agnogenic said:
" @TwoOneFive: They didn't have multiplayer problems before Gears 2 was open to the masses. When the reviewers were just playing they didn't have any problems. :) "
ah. yes. good call. 

bah. well what multiplat games sucked on ps3 at launch?
ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#87  Edited By ch13696

I can officialy say that everyone should get the PC version when it comes out. That's where it belongs. And no online problems. I'll guarantee that.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#88  Edited By asurastrike
@ch13696 said:
" I can officialy say that everyone should get the PC version when it comes out. That's where it belongs. And no online problems. I'll guarantee that. "
Every PC BF game had problems at launch.
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Branthog

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Branthog

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By JoelTGM

so are all these problems on the 360?  because the PS3 version works totally fine for me; I start the game up and hit quick match, then in like 3 seconds it puts me in a lag-free game.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#92  Edited By asurastrike
@DOUBLESHOCK said:
" so are all these problems on the 360?  because the PS3 version works totally fine for me; I start the game up and hit quick match, then in like 3 seconds it puts me in a lag-free game. "
They fixed the issues on 360, I've been getting in games all day no problem.
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Branthog

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#94  Edited By maxszy

Its been a lot of fun the times I have gotten in. But like you, i've had the same server waiting issues. I am just going to be waiting till they have it more stabilized so I don't have to go through that pain.

ladnar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By ladnar
@sirchode:
....Mirror's Edge?     you're completely right tho every game they put out like this
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#96  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

they need to add servers to nearly every us city so as to make it better for all of us.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By get2sammyb

I absolutely adore the game when I can play it. Haven't had this much fun since Halo 2.

Masfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Masfo

For three whole days I didn't get in at all. Seems it's now getting fixed. Got in first try few times now

edit: I should mention that I'm playing the 360 version.

Avatar image for deactivated-598577e1aeb21
deactivated-598577e1aeb21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's fine once you get into a game on Xbox live... it took about 4/5 minutes to get in this morning

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Keyser_Soze said:
" @jakob187 said:
" @Keyser_Soze said:
Yet again, people bashing the Bomb because they like to play games with their friends...which Brad points out are mostly on Xbox Live.  tsk tsk
"
Reviewing a game should have very little to do with what friends consoles they prefer, what Brad and his friends do in the privacy of their own home is for them, but this is a professional matter. They would have to play it on the PS3 version anyway just to test it, so buy, play with random people and see how it is. I'm sure they can do this. "
I'm fairly sure he was commenting that his friends were on the 360 because he had moved onto a seperate issue, which version people who want the game regardless of reviews should buy.

I'm pretty sure they play both available versions for stuff like this, and even if they dont, what the hell does it matter? I'm not gonna hold it against someone for playing a game like this the way it was meant to be played (with friends) and taking that into account while reviewing.