Will enhanced backwards compatibility mean the end of low effort remasters?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Will enhanced backwards compatibility mean the end of low effort remasters? (74 votes)

Yes. Remasters will require actual effort to succeed. 8%
They may slow down but the remaster train never stops for anyone, choo choo, 45%
No. It will have no effect. Remasters are too valuable to the industry. 32%
There will be even more remasters! 9%
We will start seeing pre-masters, games that are remastered prior to release! 3%
I hope this option that lets me see the answers means the end of this stupid poll! 3%

With the exception of the 5th generation, every generation of video game consoles since the Atari 2600 has featured some level of backwards compatibility. The 5200 and 7800 had backwards compatibility with 2600 games (though the 5200 required an adapter.) An adapter also made the Genesis backwards compatible with the Master System. We all know about the backwards compatibility of the PS2, PS3, Xbox 360, and Xbox One consoles, as well as Nintendo's handhelds. Backwards compatibility has been a part of the industry for a very long time. And, of course, there's always the PC, which has theoretical backwards compatibility stretching back all the way to DOS (though older games may be hard to get running on modern machines.)

However we've never seen backwards compatibility as comprehensive as we're going to in the 9th generation. Not only will both of the announced 9th gen consoles be backwards compatible with almost all of their predecessors' games, but those games will run with enhancements on the new machines, ranging from quicker loading times to enhanced resolutions and frame rates.

Will this mean the end of the quick cash-in remaster that we've seen sprouting up this generation?

In the 7th generation remasters made sense because the Xbox 360 and PS3 had limited backwards compatibility and remastered games were generally upgraded to HD to take advantage of the new consoles' enhanced power. In the 8th generation the PS4 was the lead platform, so even though many of the remastered games became available on Xbox One in backwards compatibility once that launched, it still made sense to remaster things like Vanquish and Bayonetta to release them on PS4 as enhanced ports, and then while that was happening to port them to Xbox and PC too because why not? There was also the issue of game availability, because not all games were released digitally in the 7th generation (and virtually none on prior consoles) while in the 8th generation basically every game was digitally available and remains up for purchase on the digital store if licensing or ownership issues didn't require that they be pulled down. There are very few games that are actually 'rare' these days, and even if you missed out on a title and there aren't a lot of used copies around it's usually pretty easy to get a digital copy if you want one (games like P.T. notwithstanding.)

This means that the case for the cheap cash-in 'remaster' that's really a port is going to be pretty hard to make in the 9th generation. There will always be a market for true remakes, like the Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, and Tony Hawk games, since those completely rework the graphics and controls and are more or less new games, more akin to movie remakes than re-releases. There will probably be a case for remasters that include substantial improvements, like the Xenoblade Chronicles remaster that re-did significant amounts of the graphical assets and reworked the UI and some of the mechanics.

On the other hand there's always the power of marketing and games already available on Xbox One and PC have sold decently despite not much being done to them, so maybe this won't matter? What do people think?

• 
hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By hermes

No... if the current generation is any indication, it will have no effect on the industry.

When the industry sees it can get away with selling an emulated version of the game with some graphical filters, instead of a (most costly) "true" remake, and it doesn't affect sales as much, they will dust off old franchises like it is a garage sale. Look at Halo or Mario 64.

Also, I don't know where you are getting some of that information. "True" backwards compatibility would be if I put my Bluray of Folklore for PS3 or SMT Nocturne for PS2 and they run as in the old hardware. I haven't seen anything like that in the news. If anything, they are talking about compiling a list of the most popular games and making sure they work. That doesn't include older hardware, and I believe MS will be better at it than Sony (due to their consoles being mostly the same architecture), so I have no trust the PS5 will recognize my discs of Shaolin Monks or Sonic Generations...

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Remasters that simply up the resolution? Nah. 1080p is still a standard and upscales to 4k very well, ao there's no real reason to remaster and re release a PS4/Xbox One game.

More remasters of 7th gen and back games? Yes, that sounds good, I'd take some of those, those games usually need UI improvements, framerate bunps, and somebsnti-aliasing anyway.

Redone geaphics don't make much sense for most eighth gen titles either, as most still look fine, especially with a resolution bump.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mellotronrules

i imagine the ROI on remasters- especially highly successful titles- is extremely appealing. even the most-moderate of successes get them (see: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning; or should i say RERECKONING).

for an industry that is increasingly risk adverse- a remaster seems like the safest move. the initial investment is already done- you just pay a small team to put a new coat of polish on it. and people show up to buy them.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Of course not because they will remaster games that are old enough where they can add in some very basic options that backwards compatibility doesn’t offer and serve it up as new. Sure I can play Alan Wake on my XB1X right now but it looks pretty grimey and runs at a capped 30fps. But.. if they released a remaster with some reworked texture options and some other bells and whistles.. well now that’s a completely different game.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By csl316

I think there's always gonna be an opportunity to release a "definitive edition" with the DLC, and with a slightly sharper resolution and frame rate. That Digital Foundry video on Series X backwards compatibility pointed out that games coded to run at 30 will still run at 30 despite the higher resolution. So it'd be opportunity to sell something with 4k 60fps.

Really, a bunch of current gen games that got nudged up to 1440p or a dynamic resolution and a solid 30 or 60fps with BC can now be rereleased with a remaster to run at a locked 4k60 or 4k120. What a tongue twister of a sentence.

There's always something to be improved. Which isn't always a bad thing, as an optimized version for first time buyers can be nice to get. Can that sort of improvement be patched in to existing versions? I dunno, I don't know computers, but saying it can't is an easy way for publishers to resell old games as new games. And if there's little to no upgrade, you can still get away with reselling a collection for a bundled price with a steelbook or whatever.

Edit: Yep, I thought that last sentence into existence moments later.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cikame

That NFS remaster has really wound you up hasn't it?
Getting free upgrades for games you already own is awesome, but i wouldn't count on every backwards compatible game receiving perfect resolution bumps and locked 60fps, it's more complicated than that.
There are still plenty of older games that could use a good re-release, even if the updates are relatively minor, to have older games running easily with some modern conveniences is a great way to keep them available and playable. MGS and MGS2 were recently released on GOG but they're the original PC versions tweaked slightly so that they run, they do work but they're in a pretty awful state, that's an example where a cheap and cheerful update would be VERY welcome (even though Konami already own remasters of MGS2 and 3, and are doing absolutely nothing with them).
I don't know if or when companies will decide to "remaster" current gen games on the next gen, i don't expect to see much of that for a while, i feel like we've peaked on graphics so updates to those games will be very minor.

Edit: Just remembered that Spider Man remaster, ray tracing i guess is the answer, add ray tracing to everything... for what that's worth.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's always the possibility that whatever backwards compatibility solution doesn't provide the performance a remaster could. Remasters also provide the completely new crowd to buy in, rather than looking in the used market.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea, there will be more effort involved and they will be more expensive as well.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. Any opportunity they can take to sell you the same thing but slightly prettier with a premium price tag, they will. The gaming public has already proven they'll eat that crap up.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#10 chaser324  Moderator

They may slow down a bit since those previous iterations are more readily available, but they're certainly not going to stop. They will keep doing them so long as there is room for a relatively small team to bump up the visual fidelity even just slightly - and that bar for improvement may be lower than I thought based on that NFS: Hot Pursuit remaster looking like damn near nothing was changed.