Would you be willing to drop $70 per game next gen?

• 133 results
triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#51  Edited By triple07

I would buy very few games for $70 but I would for a few. I very rarely pay full price as it is for games at $60.

ryoma122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By ryoma122

so are they trying to do away with the gaming industry

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#53  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I live in England and over here a lot of games are actually sold for more than that. Being a student I just can't afford to buy video games at the prices they're sold at these days.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#54  Edited By sixghost

I haven't paid $60 for a game in a while, so fuck no.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#55  Edited By shirogane

Most preowned games in Australia from EBgames cost more than that. 

that's like a freakin $40 decrease! 

And if you convert it from US to AU dollars, it's still at least $30 cheaper. 

Oh why do you hate us gaming, why!
DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#56  Edited By DrRandle

I think games already cost too much as it is. Developers need to start learning how to bring the costs down on games ,especially games that only give my 7 or 8 hours of enjoyment out of them.

Wildfire570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By Wildfire570
@TheGreatGuero said:
" No one will say yes to this. Of course we're not willing. However, if we're forced into a price increase like we were this gen, well, then we might just have to bite our tongues and give in.  Regardless, much like Abyssfull over here, it's very rare for me to pay full price for games anymore. Games drop in price faster than ever now, and I'm loving it. Also, I will not be tricked into buying special edition packages anymore. "
Yeah I'm never ever buying a special edition of anything ever again. Except Blazblue had a pretty good limited edition however.
DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#58  Edited By DystopiaX

it depends. If the technology warrants a price increase, or the graphics look amazing, or some other awesome shit then yes. If there's no noticeable improvement then no. 
Also, costs from hiring 1000+ people (Ubi montreal) doesn't count as "justification". Most game studios do with less, they can too.

DBrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By DBrim

I never pay $60 to begin with.  It's all about the random bargains you find a few months after a game is released.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#60  Edited By Jeust

I won't. There are great games at 5$! Why would I give 70 for a next gen game?

Though it is true that i'm considering making a similar game purchase in march april - Alan Wake - but i still have to see if it's worth my while. :p

Jrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Jrad

Only for deserving console games. Steam exists for my PC gaming needs. I already pay ~$80 (tax included, of course) per game in Canada, which is ridiculous. Check out the exchange rates sometime: $60 US Dollars = ~$63.5 Canadian Dollars.

An extra $10 and 14% tax? I'd be better off importing from the US. If US games raise to $70, Canadian games will raise to $80 ($91.2 with tax, huh?); game prices are silly nowadays.

...I should seriously consider buying games from the US. Shipping is $6-7 for such a small package and I don't have to pay tax. I wonder if I'd need to pay extra fees once it went through customs.

r0k1ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By r0k1ll

If theyre good, hell yes. But I doubt they would raise the prices anytime soon.

Siris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Siris

No, I get my 360 games cheap these days through craigslist trades and what not... last game I got, Darksiders, I traded Assassin's Creed 2 straight across for. 

And before that I traded Borderlands + $15 or so for Assassin's Creed 2. Gamin' on the cheap!

The5th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By The5th

Hell fucking no! I was upset when MS made the statement that they were pricing their games at $60 just cause of HD programming and what not. Then Sony followed their lead and Nintendo stayed at $50. If Sony had stayed at $50 then MS would have had to go back to $50 after a while. I don't buy as many games a month as a result of the $10 increase. I also can't stand buying used games, so full price or price dropped games is what I usually pay.

K0rN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By K0rN

I wouldn't want to but I would be forced to.
DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

Nope, games should be $50 and I'm going to stick with that for ever. It what I do...

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#67  Edited By Jambones

I am not against paying $60 to a games company for a full-on experience and their hard work, but $60 is the very limit for me. Even then, my budget screams a little. 

LaszloKovacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#68  Edited By LaszloKovacs

Absolutely not.

I haven't paid full price for any console game since the invention of GameFly anyway.

TerraForse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By TerraForse

70 bucks is what games cost in Canada and i blows, I went to america for a weekend and you guys have it made. Food, games etc.

fuzzyponken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By fuzzyponken

New games already cost upwards of $90-100 here in Sweden depending on the exchange rate and I never spend that as it is. I pirate new games if I feel I need to play them instantly and buy them for half price or cheaper down the line (if they're worth owning). I assume I would continue to do so if they raised prices. 

Skye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Skye

A lot of people say no, but I doubt that they wouldn't pay the increased price if it was introduced.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By ch3burashka

The point is, they will probably try to charge us 70 bucks, even if there's not a big increase in HD output, or a 3D component or whatever.

If the consumer doesn't like it, they won't buy it. What with the casual consumer getting into games, there's a chance they WILL buy at least one game for 70 bucks (Wii Sports 3, for instance).

The only way to counter this is to not buy the games. The only way to spread the word is through the internet, via game sites. The casuals don't look at game sites, so core gamers don't really have a large effect on whether or not the games will increase in price, and if they will stay at that price.

To quote Winston Smith of 1984, "Our hope lies in the proles"... or something.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#73  Edited By C0V3RT

$60 is where I draw the line, anything above (not collectors edition or anything like that included) I can wait for the price drop.  If games go to $70 a pop, I'll just start renting.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By pause422

I don't even buy 60$ games...so no.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By TheGreatGuero
@Wildfire570 said:
" @TheGreatGuero said:
" No one will say yes to this. Of course we're not willing. However, if we're forced into a price increase like we were this gen, well, then we might just have to bite our tongues and give in.  Regardless, much like Abyssfull over here, it's very rare for me to pay full price for games anymore. Games drop in price faster than ever now, and I'm loving it. Also, I will not be tricked into buying special edition packages anymore. "
Yeah I'm never ever buying a special edition of anything ever again. Except Blazblue had a pretty good limited edition however. "
The only one I've ever bought that I consider to be worth it was GTAIV's. I use the duffle bag for easily carrying games and controllers when taking them to someone else's house, and that lockbox is handy, however I never really lock it because I'm afraid I'll lose the key. If I had a keychain, I'd probably lock it.
handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By handlas

Nope.  I always trade in games to avoid paying 60 bucks as it is.  Rarely put down a full 60 bucks.  Trade in games I get that are old from giftcards during holidays or something.  Not the best thing to do considering I currently own 4 games total right now but if I'm not gonna play them anymore I don't see why I should keep em.

The new thing these days to give extra crap for new copies and preordering games is annoying me tho.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#77  Edited By WickedCestus

I already do, I live In Canada and we get screwed. I pay like 80$ if you include the the 12% tax.

fflyash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#78  Edited By fflyash

Considering a lot of places here sell games for about $90 US, that would be a good price drop.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, people would pay that to get their gaming fix.  I'm sure a lot of people would like to say they wouldn't (including me) but eventually we would probably break down and buy them.  I don't see why they would need to be any higher than $60 though.

ReaperOfLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#80  Edited By ReaperOfLiving

Considering Japanese companies are figuring out how to put several terabytes onto one disk we might be in for games larger the 8gb (xbox) & 60gb (PS3)?

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Branthog
@ReaperOfLiving said:
" Considering Japanese companies are figuring out how to put several terabytes onto one disk we might be in for games larger the 8gb (xbox) & 60gb (PS3)? "
What does the physical size of the game have to do with the price?
frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#82  Edited By frankxiv

it worked for the n64

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#83  Edited By citizenkane

Other countries have been paying $70+ for video games for a while.  I can shell out an extra $10, especially since by the time the next generation of consoles hits, I will be out of school and into the workforce.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#84  Edited By Jeffsekai

Here in Canada we already are, Americans are so Ignorant.

Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Mr_Bubbles

I still wonder what happened to $39.99 for a new and popular PSP game, and $49.99 for a new and popular PS2 game.

bcooper56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By bcooper56

Games are 70$ in my country in Canada. If they go up to 60$ in US they would go to 80$ here so no

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#87  Edited By MKHavoc

Maybe.  I rent most of my games and only bought three last year.  If I'm only actually buying games a couple times a year then I might be willing to pick them up for $70.  I chose maybe because I think I could end up waiting for the price to drop.

ReaperOfLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#88  Edited By ReaperOfLiving
@Branthog said:
" @ReaperOfLiving said:
" Considering Japanese companies are figuring out how to put several terabytes onto one disk we might be in for games larger the 8gb (xbox) & 60gb (PS3)? "
What does the physical size of the game have to do with the price? "
I don't feel that games like Call Of Duty for example being the size it is would be worth the same amount as a game 5x that size like MGS4. (Not saying either is better) 

If the size of the game increases the length and quality of the game then I believe the game would cost more also. (Makes up for development work put into a game)

Correct me if i'm wrong, the size of the game usually tells you how much time and effort was put into the game? (minus testing and marketing)  So why don't games cost different prices?  For example FFXIII on the Xbox will have 3 disks but is it still going to be the same $60 for 3x the disks?
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Branthog
@ReaperOfLiving said:
" @Branthog said:
" @ReaperOfLiving said:
What does the physical size of the game have to do with the price? "
I don't feel that games like Call Of Duty for example being the size it is would be worth the same amount as a game 5x that size like MGS4. (Not saying either is better)   If the size of the game increases the length and quality of the game then I believe the game would cost more also. (Makes up for development work put into a game)  Correct me if i'm wrong, the size of the game usually tells you how much time and effort was put into the game? (minus testing and marketing)  So why don't games cost different prices?  For example FFXIII on the Xbox will have 3 disks but is it still going to be the same $60 for 3x the disks? "
Not at all. A piece of software is not better for being larger. In fact, the smaller program is usually the one that has had the most polish and refinement put on it. Anyone can write a large program. It takes real talent to cut away the edges and improve size and efficiency. Especially when you're talking a video game where much of that size is often just taken up by music and video cut-scenes whose size merely depends on the type and effectiveness of the encoding used on them.  Games are about $10 more today than they were the last generation or back when we used cartridges, but the size of the games (the actual size of the data/binaries/etc) is dozens of times larger.
napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By napalm

I think the idea of paying full price for a game is rather fine... as long as you get a sufficient experience out of the title, and as long as the "full price" is $50. I only purchase about five or six games a year as is, because of the high price tag, if it goes up another $10, you can expect me to only be buying two, maybe three games a year.

Workyticket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Workyticket
@Icemael said:
" Hell yes. Here in Sweden -- as well as most, if not all other European countries -- that would make for a drop in price. "
This. Us Aussies are paying, on average, A$110/US$100 already, or about US$70 from the cheaper retailers. It's madness I tells ya, madness!
Dirty_Harry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Dirty_Harry

lol, we buy used games for 70$ in europe.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Wolverine

I'm rarely willing to spend $60 let alone $70.

bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By bjorno

I'm already expected too STUPID CANADA

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#95  Edited By Seppli

High end gaming is cought up in a Catch-22 scenario...

I don't want to, but I wouldn't be able to help myself. I love games. Also - console games in Switzerland already cost up to 109 $ (non-special edition) at release. PC games are usually between 79 $ and 89 $. So ha - I'm already waaay past 70 $.

My hope for the future are cloud gaming services, making high end gaming available on any screen with an ethernet jack and gaming becoming truely mass market like movies - which should make games a lot cheaper at retail. I'm seldomly buying singleplayer experiences anymore at full price - unless I just can't help myself, like with Mass Effect 2 this coming Tuesday.

Waited for Uncharted 2 to drop in price. Only got it 2 days ago for about 40% off, which is still 60 $ around my parts. What an awesome game. Not gonna buy a fullprice game until next holiday season after this upcoming March. My last fullprice purchase gonna be BF:BC 2. I'm gonna stick with Battlefield : Bad Company 2 for all of summer and fall and some XBLA/PSN games and premium DLC-expansions 'til then. Gotta save some cash for the holiday frenzy 2010 and enjoy the outdoors.

Games should get cheaper, but they won't, because the audience for high end gaming doesn't grow much, unlike the production costs, which are skyrocketing - making games more expensive and even less accessible to the mass market. That's a catch-22. Unless somebody takes a leap of faith with cloud computing gaming services, we will remain stuck in this conundrum.
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#96  Edited By Daveyo520

I think 60 is my limit.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#97  Edited By AgentJ

I don't even pay 60 now, rarely even 50, so there's no way I'm getting anywhere close to that.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#98  Edited By mrfizzy

you missed option D) "I live in Australia and already pay that much". 

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By HitmanAgent47

That would remind me of the ps3 days.

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#100  Edited By ptys

Already do... try $90-$100 if you live in the Southern Hemisphere... Unfortunately it's still worth it!