Real bummer right there.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Well, I know what system I'm getting come next gen: a PS3.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

It makes sense given the architectural changes. It would be very difficult to emulate those games.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Good choice!

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Avatar image for maskedarcstrike
maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By maskedarcstrike

wait what?

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By tourgen

no surprise

unfortunate though. I'd think all the XNA stuff should work. It's all managed code running on a software runtime interpreter right? Not porting that over seems pretty lazy.

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

no reason to stick with xbox then

Artso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

That's fine with me, I don't care at all about backwards compatibility.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I already own a 360 so that's fine with me.

Didn't hear me complain when a bought a DVD player back in the day going "What do you mean it doesn't play VHS and Betamax tapes?!"

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By foggel

I can't think of any 360 games that I would want to play on the One anyway.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By InternetDotCom

Also your Xbox 360 bursts into flames when you buy the new one!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I played zero xbox games on my 360 and I owned the original so it's not like I didn't have any lying around. Most people are so tired of this generation I think to a certain degree it's gotten to a "good riddance" mentality for this overly long generation.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By neoepoch

I find it pretty unfortunate that potentially all the downloaded games I bought will be unplayable. I mean you guys could say "JUST USE YOUR 360 IDIOT!" all you want, but given the unreliability of that system and the eventually unplugging of Live from the 360s, how will you retain those purchases you have on that system?

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#16  Edited By Wemibelle

Good. Microsoft shouldn't hamper the potential of their next system just to shove in BC when it isn't necessary. If you want to play old Xbox 360 games, play them there.

Now, if you want to worry about how long those games (especially digital downloads) will exist on that platform's service, I understand your concern. That is a different concern, however, than backwards compatibility.

maddman60620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By maddman60620

you mean I can't play Jade Empire on the XBOX ONE?!?!?!?!

*RAGE*

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Unfortunate.

I've built up quite a digital library of XBL Arcade games and always had the assumption that it would be a priority for next generation consoles to support those games, but ever since the PS4 conference opened my eyes on the matter I've completely stopped buying anything that I don't intend to play immediately from the PSN store and XBL. All my impulse purchases go to Steam now.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*RAGE*

This copy of Perfect Dark Zero I have will be USELESS

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By neoepoch

Unfortunate.

I've built up quite a digital library of XBL Arcade games and always had the assumption that it would be a priority for next generation consoles to support those games, but ever since the PS4 conference opened my eyes on the matter I've completely stopped buying anything that I don't intend to play immediately from the PSN store and XBL. All my impulse purchases go to Steam now.

At least with the PS4 they made mention that you might be able to stream your digital games through their streaming service or whatever, but still this kills any reason for me to buy digital games off these consoles anymore.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

If backwards compatibility was going to be time consuming or expensive for them to put into Xbox One, then I'm glad they chose not to, since I already own a 360 and am not that interested in backwards compatibility. Some people are going to be really pissed, and maybe for somewhat valid reasons, but I'm all about them making the best system they can without having to think too much about the past.

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@neoepoch said:

I find it pretty unfortunate that potentially all the downloaded games I bought will be unplayable. I mean you guys could say "JUST USE YOUR 360 IDIOT!" all you want, but given the unreliability of that system and the eventually unplugging of Live from the 360s, how will you retain those purchases you have on that system?

This is the all digital future that everyone is clamoring for, where everything you buy is a rental that lasts only as long as they want it to.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

I don't fucking care.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SomeDeliCook

I've got a collection of 360 games and only like 3 PS3 games, so this is even more reason to switch to PS4 and just keep my 360. Stuff like cloud gaming, watching TV, and switching from app to app really quick doesn't really interest me because 90% of my console use is for games and the other 10% is to watch movies.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@maddman60620 said:

*RAGE*

This copy of Perfect Dark Zero I have will be USELESS

What will become of my copy of Singularity?

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ShaggE

PS4 it is, then. Not out of any falling out with MS, just that I like to change it up when I can, and not being able to carry my games over means I'm free to go with Sony this time and just keep a 360 on hand.

Hilbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS4 for me.

Nezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#28  Edited By Nezza

I've got both a 360 and a PS3 and had already decided that I would be only buying one console (well, until the first serious price drops happen in a couple of years). The difference between them is that I have over 100 Xbox 360 games and just a couple of PS3 games. Backwards compatibility would have guaranteed that my next console purchase would have been the Xbox One; even though I'm becoming less enamoured with the direction the Dashboard has taken, as well as the payment for Xbox live when Sony's service is free. But now I'm to see which console has the games that I want to play.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@neoepoch said:

This is the all digital future that everyone is clamoring for, where everything you buy is a rental that lasts only as long as they want it to.

Can I get off this time stream and go into a different future?

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By pr1mus

Silly people, it can't be backward compatible, it's the first one. It says so right in the name.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#31  Edited By Brackynews

@neoepoch said:

At least with the PS4 they made mention that you might be able to stream your digital games through their streaming service or whatever,

A service that undoubtedly will cost a fee. Whether it's baked in to the PSN+ subscription or not.

I think there's a pretty big difference in this generational leap. The original Xbox got swept under the rug. Vanished. Poof. 360s everywhere. Meanwhile Sony quickly back-pedalled on having the Emotion chip inside the PS3, and for years refused to acknowledge that a PS2 software emulator would happen. Now look at it, tons of PS2 classics on the store.

Conclusion: Microsoft still wants to sell 360s, like Sony sold PS2s well into the next cycle.

Edit: Look at this damn chart. What Microsoft executive wouldn't want to see the 360 have a line like the PS2? They have that momentum, it's not inconceivable, providing they keep the XBLA marketplace functional and publishers keep cross-gen releases available... and as the next message says, they drop the price in a hurry!

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By neoepoch

@brackynews said:

@neoepoch said:

At least with the PS4 they made mention that you might be able to stream your digital games through their streaming service or whatever,

A service that undoubtedly will cost a fee. Whether it's baked in to the PSN+ subscription or not.

I think there's a pretty big difference in this generational leap. The original Xbox got swept under the rug. Vanished. Poof. 360s everywhere. Meanwhile Sony quickly back-pedalled on having the Emotion chip inside the PS3, and for years refused to acknowledge that a PS2 software emulator would happen. Now look at it, tons of PS2 classics on the store.

Conclusion: Microsoft still wants to sell 360s, like Sony sold PS2s well into the next cycle.

I see what you mean there, but if they want to keep selling 360s they better lower the price on it, because it is still ridiculous for what amounts to hardware that is probably over a decade old depending on when they started development on it. I know that it took forever for the PS2 to get to $100, but that needs to happen faster for the 360...maybe not that low but not still $300 for a console released 7 years ago.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since both PS4 and One don't have BC, they're on equal playing ground. I have both PS3 and 360 anyway so it's really not that big of an issue to me. It just means it will be a long while before I purchase either a PS4 or One because the library will be starting from 0.

deox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By deox

I understand that backward compatibility is a big deal for some, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I only have a handful of 360 games and if I ever do get the urge to play them again I'll just hook up my 360 again. I really don't see that happening, though.