• 193 results
Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By Castiel

Well I have realised that the premium content has become my favorite content. It's the content I come to this site for. Unprof. fridays, Spookin' with Scoops and Bioforge have definitely been the highlights of lately.

I actually don't care too much about most quick looks anymore, they can't all be Euro Truck Simulator unfortunately. Unless Vinny's in it cause I pretty much watch anything with Vinny.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#152  Edited By jakob187

@subjugation said:

I pay a little over $4 a month to get everything. That's a hamburger. Which is a sandwich. I pay a sandwich every month. That's at the full $50 price, even though they have sales on year long memberships.

Guys, a sandwich.

Best point made.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#153  Edited By kaos_cracker

There's not many new games out yet so there isn't much to quick look I guess. And the DOTA crap is archived on Twitch so that is free. And it is a pretty damn cheap membership to get all these videos, so why complain? More premium stuff is awesome. I got the membership because of all the cool videos they put out. I do miss Random PC game and Flight Club, even though Dave said he would come by sometime to do another. But still, 5 bucks a month ain't nothing.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

@subjugation said:

I pay a little over $4 a month to get everything. That's a hamburger. Which is a sandwich. I pay a sandwich every month. That's at the full $50 price, even though they have sales on year long memberships.

Guys, a sandwich.

The whole comparing-a-subscription-service-to-food thing is always fucking awful and just completely incoherent.

More importantly, a hamburger isn't a sandwich.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#155  Edited By Fallen189

All the non subscriber stuff is Patrick PACKED. It might be better soon.

Armoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Giving the subscribers new content to keep paying is fine with me. I wouldn't want Giant Bomb to go away. It takes $.

I like Jeff's Jar talks.

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

when everything is off the cuff, quality control can become a problem. Its too easy to tell when no effort is being put in, maybe its just the whole QL idea is no longer shiny and new but i really cant make it through any.

ill stick around when big events roll by, otherwise there isn't much left for me here.

also, I do hope they become a little more open minded next gen, playing the same mass market, content touristy games will burn them out sooner rather than later.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

There's still like a 3 hour podcast every week without ads.

Vamino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@razielcuts: Thank you. The people that keep saying there are no games to play, can practically pick a Mailbag at random to see someone sending them a box full of games. Didn't Ryan buy like 200 SNES games from Japan a couple months ago? So the whole "no games" argument is kind of bullshit.

Pretty sure that if they were going to dig in to those games it would be, at best, a free live stream and subscriber only archive. QL's are primarily meant for new games. So why don't we clarify the "no games" statement as "no new games" or "fewer new games". You think there aren't going to be a ton of QL's of everything when the PS4/Xbone come out? I bet the premium content takes a hit then too, but it's justified. They only have so much time.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't worry, they're still adjusting to their new office after their moving.

Seriously? Honestly wondering if that's a joke.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#161  Edited By Gruebacca

The spike in premium content is just there to compensate for the lack of games and game news that hangs throughout this part of the year. You'll notice that all the free stuff is related to what is currently going on in the world of video games, and the premium stuff consists of interesting side stuff that the average gamer may or may not care for so much. (We aren't the average gamers, btw.) :)

Always remember that Giant Bomb is a business. They need to make money to stay in business. More premium content is one way to can do that, since ads aren't always enough.

And for all those entitled persons out there, Giant Bomb consists of four on-site and two off-site professional gamesmen, and you could add a couple more in there if they're not busy with their non-game-related jobs. For six guys, there's a lot of content coming out on the site every week. It's foolish to think that they need to be able to entertain you from the time you get home to the time you go to bed five days a week.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#162  Edited By Hailinel

@trafalgarlaw said:

It's sarcasm. Not very good sarcasm, but sarcasm.

Avatar image for sexualbubblegumx
SexualBubblegumX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@subjugation: I'm sorry man, but Sammiches trump watching some one play dota ...which is a game i kinda hate. :(

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@bestusernameever said:

@trafalgarlaw said:

It's sarcasm. Not very good sarcasm, but sarcasm.

Yes I know, was looking for an indicator, said like that it comes off as a truth.

theveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By theveej

Well you guys should become premium members if you can afford it, its well worth it (bioforge videos are fucking amazing). I will agree that Daily Dota should not be behind a paid wall, I would actually pay money to remove it (no disrespect to Brad who I applaud for getting into dota or Dota 2 which is amazing, but if I'm going watch a Dota stream I'm gonna watch top players play so I can learn something). Also Daily Dota is taking processing power away from archiving better videos faster, so yah CUT IT.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By JazGalaxy

It looks to me like they're moving to a model where quicklooks and bomb casts are free and everything else is paid. I guess it kind of makes sense.

BigDaddyTool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By BigDaddyTool

Some of us still remember when the guys were going to make the podcast a premium feature (well, sort of). The new premium content is designed to drive people to subscriptions (honestly, I'm closer than ever to pull that trigger myself) but there's still a healthy amount of free content every week.

Also you can totally watch the archived TNTs and Daily Dota at their Twitch.tv page.

skelington_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By skelington_

Remember this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN1SnvHSQLg

Those were the days of high-caliber premium content. I want wacky Jeff back! He's too busy being Professional these days.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By Subjugation

@jimbo said:

@beachthunder said:

@subjugation said:

Guys, a sandwich.

The whole comparing-a-subscription-service-to-food thing is always fucking awful and just completely incoherent.

More importantly, a hamburger isn't a sandwich.

Loading Video...

ectoplasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By ectoplasma

@animasta said:

dota 2 stuff should be not subscriber based because, well, I don't think anyone is going to subscribe to watch brad be middling at dota.

I think it should promote giantbomb dota community and be free.

Now that Bioforge stuff, thats some premium content right there!

Actually, in my opinion all of the video stuff should be free - on a lower resolution at least.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@metalgearsunny said:

2012 - "There's not enough subscriber content!"

2013 - "There's too much subscriber content!"

This. So much this. Everyone shutup.

hey has anyone quoted this yet? cause i'm quoting it.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So ever since I tried a month's worth of subscription years ago, I have been stuck in this glitch where GB charges me every month for a silver subscription forever. Basically I am paying more than gold members annually without their benefits, but I don't raise a finger because it's worth it to me. I'm not one to go around and dickishly say this, but if you are complaining about the volume of subscriber content as a free user: get a job.

warpedzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad they are doing more premium content. I'm a subscriber, watch every minute of it, and enjoy every minute of it. I will continue to subscribe in the future. The content they are marking as premium is actually really good and worth your time.

Willza92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Yo is GiantBomb slowly becoming premium-focused or what, bitch"

Also, no.

SniperXan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slow release time of year = less quick looks. That's it. Simple Math.

Deal.

Rabidrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you like what the Giantbomb crew makes, you should pay them like others do! The premium membership is pretty cheap. :p

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#177  Edited By nightriff

Next Endurance Run is subscriber only, better buck up and pay homies

berniesbc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By berniesbc

I'm just outraged that they never did a quicklook for Double Dragon II.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By Legion_

I wouldn't know. I'm a premium member, but I don't know what I'm paying for. Still, I'm happy to throw my money after the gang. They're awesome.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By coakroach

The balance has always been off at one end or the other, but I do feel for the non-subscribers not being able to witness the majesty that is Bioforge.

Now to resume eating fine caviar and drinking champagne.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never understood the desire for people to complain about the amount and/or quality of free entertainment. You get what you pay for. If you want more, pay. If not, don't. Simple.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By Niceanims

I like what GB's doing, and I also like Daily Dota.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@metalgearsunny said:

This. So much this. Everyone shutup.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@customotto said:

@twolines said:

@metalgearsunny said:

Eggzacktly. They're a small team, so if they make more premium stuff, they will do less of the free stuff. You can't have it both ways people! I suppose there is a solution here, something in the middle that makes everyone happy (nah, people will always be grumpy on the internet), but it's hard to do for a couple guys running a small website. Chill out.

It's so weird how people keep treating entire communities like single entities. Obviously those two ideas aren't coming from the same people. Why is everyone pretending otherwise?

It allows for snarky dismissive commentary.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Facts! (just browsing through the features/ql/events area of the video archives)

2013 May:

22 QL/Encyclopedia Bombastica (and there is at least 1 more QL to come this month)

features: 10 free, 3 premium (2 of those are dota), +1 free "event"

2012 May:

26 QL

features: 11 free +1 free "event"

That is pretty close. On top of that, the dump truck is an awesome new feature that is also free.

Yeah facts! So this is not actually a valid complaint.. Facts!

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

The guys are clearly trying to maintain a balance, but it's never going to be completely equal. Seems like it was just a couple weeks ago we had some subscribers acting like they weren't getting enough. Now it's swung a bit in the other direction. The video game schedule isn't exactly on even ground year-round, so it follows that the content ratio will keep shifting.

Everyone's getting something though. And if you want more? It's probably worth subscribing.

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By GnaTSoL

Giantbomb bigtime now. If you ain't got money, then that means you ain't in GBs Business Plans.

GB is the only worthy thing to subscribe to on the internet... Video game related.

Goby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clearly the answer is more Patrick

I feel like he is underrepresented on this site

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By OurSin_360

It was nice to have the Wednesday show for a while cause i typically miss the TNT shows, but i don't like watching strategy games at all so the dota thing i'm not really missing lol. There are about 4 quick looks a week maybe, usually indie games so that's not to bad IMO and the bombcast is free so that's nice. I may try a premium account one day and see if i'm missing something

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#190  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@mordukai said:

@beachthunder said:

They're a small independent start-up, they need your money to survive.

I believe Jeff already said that most of the income comes from ads and not from subs.

He hasn't specifically said which generates more income, but he has said that without subs the site would losing a lot of money, which would lead to the assumption of the opposite of your statement being true. And he's also said that without subs, the site probably wouldn't exist at all because the subscriber base was a huge reason CBSi were interested in buying them. If they hadn't been bought, the site would no longer exist.

cheishxc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So. Much. This.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#192  Edited By TwoLines

@marokai said:

@customotto said:

@twolines said:

@metalgearsunny said:

Eggzacktly. They're a small team, so if they make more premium stuff, they will do less of the free stuff. You can't have it both ways people! I suppose there is a solution here, something in the middle that makes everyone happy (nah, people will always be grumpy on the internet), but it's hard to do for a couple guys running a small website. Chill out.

It's so weird how people keep treating entire communities like single entities. Obviously those two ideas aren't coming from the same people. Why is everyone pretending otherwise?

I ain't snarky nor dismissive. Either the subscribers want more subscriber content, or the free users want more free content. You can't have it both ways. I bet they just make it all up as they go along, and lately they just made more premium content.

customotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@twolines said:

@marokai said:

@customotto said:

@twolines said:

@metalgearsunny said:

I ain't snarky nor dismissive. Either the subscribers want more subscriber content, or the free users want more free content. You can't have it both ways. I bet they just make it all up as they go along, and lately they just made more premium content.

Why would either group want it both ways?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By rorie

So ever since I tried a month's worth of subscription years ago, I have been stuck in this glitch where GB charges me every month for a silver subscription forever. Basically I am paying more than gold members annually without their benefits, but I don't raise a finger because it's worth it to me. I'm not one to go around and dickishly say this, but if you are complaining about the volume of subscriber content as a free user: get a job.

If you're having any issues with your subscription, please do mail support at giantbomb.com and I can get you figured out. Happy you're a subscriber but I want to make sure that you're doing it of your own volition!

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By rorie

Thanks for all your thoughts on this stuff, guys. I'm not sure I can get into specific numbers here, but I think I can say that premium subscribers are really important to Giant Bomb, even if we are part of a bigger company now. We obviously want everyone to be happy, but yes, as noted, when I came on board a month or so ago, there was a big thread about how there wasn't enough premium content, so it's an interesting challenge to find the balance there.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#196 Mento  Moderator

I think the issue (and I don't really see as such, but then I'm a subscriber) is that every time someone in the Bomb Crew wants to do a new feature that doesn't seem like would appeal to everyone or is mostly unrelated to new video game coverage, they decide to stick it behind the paywall since it's probable that only their most dedicated fanbase would be interested and not the casual visitor looking for reviews, news or footage of the new Gears or what have you.

I mean, that's been pretty much true of every new feature of late. With the lack of new games and everyone spending time on their own projects, the balance has shifted temporarily towards being weighted towards premium features. It'll no doubt shift back once August rolls around and games start coming out again.

(If I had to make a suggestion to help quell the non-sub unrest though, I would posit that GB made every fourth Unprofessional Fridays a freebie like they used to do with the Happy Hour.)

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're catering to their paying customers? What the hell, Giant Bomb?!

Goby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By Goby

@fallen189 said:

All the non subscriber stuff is Patrick PACKED. It might be better soon.

Hopefully it doesn't get replaced with more DOTA

I mean Brad's cool and all but continuous DOTA I dunno

Also only thing that make me subscribe would be an endurance run.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love that their catering to us paying members, but I ageree with what @mento said. They should make every fourth or so unprofessional Friday free for all. They should also not be afraid of trying new things for all members (and visitors), not just us bombers.