You have written a best selling book, now you have a choice...

• 106 results
MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#101  Edited By MooseyMcMan

BOTH.

Always be milking it for all it's worth.

Also, a TV show and a radio drama.

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By hoossy

@Jay444111 said:

@hoossy said:

@Jay444111:

I feel like you could have used a movie besides I, Robot, considering the source matter came out in.... I think the 1950s? And I'm pretty sure Asimov died in the 90s... so It's not like he would have had much say anyways.... but yeah, it was pretty bad. The Time Machine also comes to mind

On the other hand, you have movies like Fight Club and No Country for Old Men which I thought were incredible adaptations who may even one upped the original novels.

but to answer your question, I think a movie has a better chance of realizing a novel's vision than a game. I mean, there is the ability to a movie to a 100% correct adaptation to your vision, but a game... has to have choices and room for gameplay, so it will always alter things.

Not really, Heavy rains existence, along with the back to the future adventure games existence prove that anything can actually be done in video games. Just takes work to do it. Also, no movie other then Gone with the wind has EVER been 100% faithful to the source material. Even then, with books like LOTR, the amount of padding in them is freaking INSANE to the point where cutting things out SHOULD happen. Tolkein really needed an editor back then, he truly did.

@xaLieNxGrEyx said:

I pray to the internet gods everyday that be some small hope of chance jay is forever ipbanned from this website.

Why? Because I make good topics? Dude come on, you are making yourself look bad now. I am DOING NOTHING! Quite funny that I got a stalker on here that says this kinda crap all the damn time in my topics.

Idk why you brought up Heavy Rain: 1. it's not based on a book, and 2. the plot was chalk full of holes (I still enjoyed it, but it was certainly no writing accomplishment). With the Back to the Future games, they were really great, true, and used the material really well. But as I already said, a lot had to be either put in to flesh out what would need to be a game experience. Unless you are reading a 'choose your own adventure' book, then it doesn't make sense to design a game the same way you would write a book. Have you read the Metro 2033 book that the game was based on? Many things were altered to fit the context of the gaming world, and there is NOTHING wrong with that, it's just the truth.

As for movies, sure very few movies do make a literal translation, if for no other reason then for time constraints, and also because some narration in a novel would never work on film. But as you proved, it IS possible. You could do it. For a game.... not so much. I'd rather play a game based on a book's world as opposed to trying to recreate the exact same plot.

penINC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By penINC

@Jay444111 said:

@penINC said:

@Jay444111: You've got pretty skewed standards, dude. All of those are pretty good stories for a video game, but games in general haven't come anywhere close to the storytelling power of books or film.

They are pretty much past movies at this point. Because in a video game you can actually have depth. Why do people hate stories in video games when they are legitimattly great? did they kill their parents or something?

Yep. I hate video games. That's why I'm on a video game website.

Or, you know, people could be calling out video game stories as generally sub-par because they are generally sub-par? Just a thought. I don't blame the medium or the industry or anything, it's just going to take time for things to mature. Games as a real storytelling medium is a still a relatively new idea. We need more time to explore the space and attract more talent. We just aren't there yet.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

For my book, a video game. Hell, my sci-fi world should be a video game from a get go, which is why I'm planning on obtaining a profession for computer graphics and literature.

Evenstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#105  Edited By Evenstar

Definitely a movie.Though I would not write a book I would write a script for a movie :D

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#106  Edited By donutfever

Oh hey, a  Jay444111 thread.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#108  Edited By jorbear

I would probably milk it to death and have Pixar make it as a sequel to Cars 2.

Rolling in the bills bitches.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#109  Edited By DystopiaX

This blog post isn't worded in a biased way at all, not like he's saying "HEY IF YOU DO MOVIES MOVIES SUCK RIGHT, AND GAME? WE ALL LIKE GAMES HERE ON GIANTBOMB SO JUST AGREE WITH ME KAY?"

This is also a continuation of the central Jay444111 belief: "Movies suck, and video game stories are underappreciated". All his other threads got closed so he thought of a different way to phrase the same way and posted it.