Your favorite series that stoped and never went anywhere

zagzagovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By zagzagovich

Everyone has a favorite game series that brought fun and happiness to it's fans over the years. But no matter how much we love them they always have an end. Sometimes they come back in form of a reboot or a remake but sometimes they just fade away into the annals of video game history. So the question is:

What's your favorite series that is not coming back anytime soon?

Mine is Age of Empires. I always loved creating a town and following it's progress over the centuries. Too bad the third one was such a disappointment. Sure there were Empire Earth and Rise of the Nations but they were just not the same.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ryanwho
@ZagZagovich said:
" Everyone has a favorite game series that brought fun and happiness to it's fans over the years. But no matter how much we love them they always have an end. Sometimes they come back in form of a reboot or a remake but sometimes they just fade away into the annals of video game history. So the question is:  What's your favorite series that is not coming back anytime soon?  Mine is Age of Empires. I always loved creating a town and following it's progress over the centuries. Too bad the third one was such a disappointment. Sure there were Empire Earth and Rise of the Nations but they were just not the same. "
I really liked the third one. They got rid of the AI exploit where you can't leave a wall opening and surrounding it with towers. And the Asian Dynasties Expansion is practically a whole new game, they really changed things up. 

Mine would be Age of Wonders. Age of Wonders is basically HOMM if HOMM wasn't ghetto and shitty. That dev team went on to make Overlord, and there's a race in AOW that's basically those goblin things frm Overlord as well as a bunch of other batshit crazy races. I just found the whole setup really appealing. 
Also, Skies of Arcadia.
Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Cerza

Colony Wars. I don't think Vengeance or Red Sun were as good as the original, but man those games were fun.

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By bubahula

half-life. i have pushed all episode 3 hope out of my mind . either that or timesplitters, i was so sad when i found out there wouldn't be another one. that splitsreen was awesome. and don't get me started on the editor. i spent so much time on it
Jerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jerr

Darkwatch

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Geno

I think if they made some more Pokemon Stadiums, but streamlined them a lot they could be pretty good. 

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By BrittonPeele

Advent Rising. I was way into the story and thought the gameplay had tons of potential. If only they had continued the series on current consoles, it might have gone somewhere cool.

The guys behind it have since made Shadow Complex. They no longer have the rights to the "Advent" trilogy. Majesco does, but they don't want to do anything with it.

fuzzyponken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By fuzzyponken

The Quake series. The series sort of took a nosedive with Quake 4, understandable as it was not made by id and focused more on the single player campaign, which has never been the selling point of Quake games.   

Quake 1-3, however, are prime examples of perfect multiplayer in my opinion. Fast, frantic and chaotic at a first glance, a deeper look reveals games of complex strategy and twitch reaction that require you to be prominent in all areas to succeed. Being able to read your opponents intentions before he knows them himself, mastering the fine art of strafe jumping, learning all the weapons and when to use them, how to counter them and how to aim with them, learning thousands of console commands to configure the game to look and play exactly like you want it.   

Sweet graphics.
 Sweet graphics.
  Talk about a playerbase that put gameplay over graphics... every config file of every decent Quake 3 player made the game look like a blurry brownish-gray mess with no lighting effects whatsoever, no weapon displayed, no blood, no smoke and no dead bodies, turned all the items and powerups into colorful 2D icons and every character model into the exact same green dude.  

I remember firing up Quake Live last year and just went "Holy shit, is that what Quake 3 looks like?" Needless to say, I turned it into a brownish mess in seconds. Some things just shouldn't look good. 

...and sadly the FPS audience has drifted away from that sort of gameplay in favor of pseudo realistic military shooters that I personally find way too slowly paced and just fucking boring. 
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Geno

Also, Perfect Dark. 

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By maxszy

No One Lives Forever. I so wish it would be brought back. I know they made a second one, which was good but the first is a masterpiece in my book. I love it. Maybe someday a NOLF 3 will come along.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Brendan

Deus Ex.  The original is one of my favourite games of all time, but the sequal didn't really improve upon the originals weaknesses and brought some new ones to the table.  Now it is gone, probably never to return.
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By MysteriousBob
@Brendan said:
" Deus Ex.  The original is one of my favourite games of all time, but the sequal didn't really improve upon the originals weaknesses and brought some new ones to the table.  Now it is gone, probably never to return. "
Umm...
cowdrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By cowdrunk

Drakenguard and Breath of Fire  
the gameplay in  Drakenguard is not so good but the story and characters were awsome  
and Breath of fire ended on a sour note with dragon quarter but i enjoyed the other 4 almost as much as the early final fantasy games (the ones on the snes)
webby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By webby

Shenmue
Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Pie

I cant think of anything but damn did I enjoy timesplitters back in the day, ya know, 6 years ago.......

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AuthenticM

Perfect Dark, Kessen, Lufia, Dune and System Shock come to mind.

s3ank1m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By s3ank1m

MYST

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#18  Edited By Siphillis

Rise of Nations and Gradius haven't seen much activity in more than five years.

Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Happy

Definitely the Earthbound/Mother series. I mean Mother 3 was a fantastic game, but would have been more fantastic if it had been a console game. Also if I could actually buy a copy of it in English.

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#20  Edited By Siphillis
@AuthenticM said:
" Perfect Dark, Kessen, Lufia, Dune and System Shock come to mind. "
Perfect Dark is being remade for Xbox Live Arcade.
Scorpinox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Scorpinox

Rumble Roses,Legacy of Kain,and Fighting Force. 

I'm sure there is more,but that's what I can remember right now.
s3ank1m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By s3ank1m
@PeasForFees said:
" @s3ank1m said:
" MYST "
According to Matt Damon he wanted the Bourne game to be like Myst, but with him in it. "
yea i read about it, but the seriously i miss the crap out of this series
Diest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Diest

Crusader: No Remorse / Regret

You look like a red Boba Fett and light dudes on fire.

kingclaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By kingclaw

I love Dino crisis 1 and 2 for the ps one.
but it seems like everybody else hate them.
and then capcom made some crappy third part, i guess it was the end

No Caption Provided
for the series
No Caption Provided
Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By Synthballs

Wonder Boy.

I guess it did pretty well...In Japan...but those games need some kind of revival. And i'm not talking about that shitty Adventure Island on WiiWare. DOES NOT COUNT!

sgjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By sgjackson

Mega Man X stopped making games at 3, right?

cowdrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By cowdrunk
@AuthenticM said:
"Perfect Dark, Kessen, Lufia, Dune and System Shock come to mind. "

*forehead slap* i forgot all about Lufia the first 2 or 3 of them were great
warp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By warp

Eternal Darkness: Sanitys Requiem

I wouldve also have loved a true sequel to Another World or Flashback.  The quasi sequels (Heart of the Alien, Fade To Black) dont count.

And for the life of me I dont understand why LucasArts dont make any new X-Wing/Tie Fighter games.