Your Top ten Games of 2010

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By RedRoach

Considering that the Giant Bomb Crew started their deliberations today, I thought now would be a good time to ask, what are your top ten games of 2010? hopefully this will prevent people from making their own specific topics.

My list goes as follows: 
1.   Mass Effect 2 - ME2 fixed all of my problems with the first, specifically the shooting and power usage. The save import was a fantastic feature that I feel all alignment/dialogue tree games should have. It also set up a great plot for ME3.
2.  Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - I like stabbing dudes and crazy ass fake conspiracy's.
3.  Red Dead: Redemption - I really enjoyed the story here, especially the last hour or 2, Hopefully after the success of this game we will see more wild west games.
4.  Bayonetta - Great controls and super fun, fast passed action, and some of that ridiculous japanese stuff we all know and love. 
6. Civilization 5 - IT's more civ, love it or hate it.
5.  WoW: Cataclysm - I'm loving it so far, it might go up or down as i get further into it.
7.  Call of Duty: Black Ops - You already know the merits of CoD games,  I'm in the minority here of people who liked the ending, it would have been higher up on my list, but like a lot of people, the CoD formula is getting a bit old. 
8.  Singularity - The ending rubbed me the wrong way, but the rest of the game just rubbed me the right way.
9.  Starcraft 2 - Loved the single player campaign, but I could never get into the multiplayer
10. Game Dev Story - I cannot in anyway describe my love for this one, but I'm addicted. 

There are a bunch of games that could make it onto my list that i just haven't gotten to yet, notably NFS: Hot Pursuit.

isles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By isles

Great to see someone else with GDS in their top 10.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Shadow

1. Halo Reach
2. Super Street Fighter 4
3. Bayonetta  
4. Rock Band 3
5. Final Fantasy 13
6. Red Dead Redemption
7. Mass Effect 2
8. God of War 3
9. Battlefield Bad Company 2
10. Just Cause 2 

That's just a preliminary list without really thinking it through (other than the first 4).  Note that I haven't played anything released this fall other than Rock Band 3 and Halo Reach

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BabyChooChoo

In no specific order:

Resonance of Fate
DoW II: Chaos Rising 
Soldner X-2
Just Cause 2
God of War 3
Bayonetta
Super Meat Boy
Super Street Fighter IV
Ultimate Ninja Storm 2
Mass Effect 2

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Aetheldod

1 . MASS EFFECT 2
2. HALO Reach
3. REd Dead Redemption
4. Final Fantasy XIII
5. Limbo
6. Super Meat Boy
7. Costume Quest (Ok from5 to 7 has the same value to me)
8. Metro 2033
9. Super Street Fighter IV ( altho I a had been able to get Blazblue CS this would been different)
10. Metroid Other M ( yeah I know but I couldnt think of another game )

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By CptChiken

My list and reasons are in my blog but hers the list: 

10: Splinter cell conviction. 
9.  Pacman Championship edition DX 
8. Limbo 
7.Call of duty:black ops 
6. Dead Rising 2 
5. Mass effect 2 
4. Red Dead Redemption. 
3. Battlefield bad company 2 
2. Super meat boy. 
1. Assassin's creed brotherhood. 

All the reasons are in my latest blog if you want to know why they are where they are.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Capum15

1: Halo: Reach - More Halo, more awesomeness.
2: Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - Incredible stabbing physics. Made everything better.
3: Red Dead Redemption - It's just good.
4: Mass Effect 2 - Really fun, streamlined combat. Still need to grab some of the DLC.
5: Fallout: New Vegas - It's Fallout 3 but a little better/different. And I spent an ungodly amount of time with Fallout 3 that I feel coming on with with New Vegas.
6: Minecraft - Fucking Minecraft. It's not even in Beta yet, but I love the hell out of it. Bought it a few months ago and I'm still playing the crap out of it.
7: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - It's pretty fun.
8: Just Cause 2 - Pretty awesome game.
9: N/A
10: Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2 - Some things I liked better in the first, some things in the second. Alright game. 

Might be getting Black Ops and Hot Pursuit on Christmas. Good mention to Army of Two: The 40th Day.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

In no real order since I can't put it in any specific order. 

Red Dead Redemption 
God of War 3 
God of War Ghost of Sparta 
Super Meat Boy 
Assassins Creed Brotherhood 
World Of Warcraft Cataclysm 
Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker 
Fallout New Vegas 
Darksiders 
Just Cause 2
jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By jonnyboy

In no particular order:

1) Limbo
2) Super Meat Boy
3) Guitar Hero WOR
4) Left 4 Dead 2: The Passing/The Sacrifice
5) Read Dead Redemption
6) Lara Croft GOL
7) Singularity (Multiplayer) 
8) VVVVVV
 Other Games I just played this year: 
9) Lego Rock Band
10) MW2

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

My Top Ten 2010 games played in order: 

1. Red Dead Redemption 
2. Mass Effect 2 
3. Limbo 
4. Halo: Reach 
5. Dead Rising 2 
6. Deadly Premonition
7. Plants vs. Zombies (360)  
8. Darksiders 
9. Splinter Cell: Conviction 
10. Bayonetta

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By RobotHamster

Favorites of 2010

I really did not get a chance to play some great games this year like Assassins Creed Brotherhood, Dead Rising 2, Bayonetta, Darksiders, New Vegas, Bad Company 2 and a few more so this is my list based on what I've played this year.

1. Red Dead Redemption
2. God of War III
3. Mass Effect 2
4. Super Meat Boy
5. Team Fortress 2

I'm putting this on the list because I just got it for my computer this year and it's like a whole different game.

6. Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
7. Deadly Premonition

What can I say, the characters were great and it was so bad I had fun! And for $20 you can't go wrong.

8. Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
9. Minecraft
10. Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver
Soviut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Soviut
  1. Alan Wake
  2. Limbo
  3. God of War 3
  4. Angry Birds (iOS)
  5. Cut the Rope (iOS)
  6. Super Meat Boy
  7. Split Second
  8. Misadventure of PB Winterbottom
  9. ...uh...guess I haven't played enough 2010.
NME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By NME

It's a hectic time as I play through late-year GOTY contenders as well as replaying earlier contenders on which I need to refresh myself. The short answer is:  I don't know yet. I'm torn between Mass Effect 2 and Red Dead Redemption, but I'm not sure if either one of those is even ahead of either Limbo or Super Meat Boy.  

My GOTY list will include, in something sort of resembling this order (with minor spoilers in the explanatory text): 

Super Meat Boy - I beat The Kid levels twice. Two times. The game pissed me off so much early on, but not only did it captivate me to the point of beating the game, beating Cotton Alley, unlocking most of the characters, and hitting the par time for all of the light world and most of the dark world levels, it convinced to me attempt and ultimately succeed at something which i felt, for me, was impossible. And I did that thing twice. For the first time in my adult life, I feel like a better gamer than I was when I was a kid, and for that, I think Super Meat Boy is amazing.

Limbo -  I'm not a big "longer = better" guy, but if I was, Limbo would still hold up pretty well for me. Even though the game can be beaten in one or two sittings, there are a lot of secret collectibles beyond the achievements that kept me coming back for more for a few dozen hours. The secrets are just the icing on a doomed cake rich with atmosphere and clever but reasonable puzzles. For me, it's hard to argue that there was a more finely crafted game in 2010.

Mass Effect 2 - I don't need to justify its inclusion; you all know how great it is. I have yet to beat it, though I am close, and while there are a few very minor blemishes, the game is superb. Although, I do find that the combat is the part of the game I dislike the most. Much better than in Mass Effect? Absolutely. Still a second-rate shooter on it's own merits? Yeah, I think so. 

Red Dead Redemption - I very much need to replay/finish this. I've only made it about halfway through Mexico, so I have plenty left to do. This is the first modern sandbox game that I've even considered liking, and to my recollection I didn't have much to complain about besides how easily I lost my horse about four missions away from earning the achievement for using the same horse throughout the majority of the game (or whatever it was). I always give special consideration to games that win me over, especially when their genre is one that I tend not to care for (a la Modern Warfare 2 last year), so RDR may well be my game of the year. 

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - I didn't so much as acknowledge that this game had a single player campaign, and I'm not sure if that ultimately helps or hurts my opinion of the game. The multiplayer doesn't have the panache of the Call of Duty games, but it is in many ways a much better game for that. While Modern Warfare 2 convinced me to give shooters another chance, Bad Company 2 kept that train rolling for about 30 hours, which is a lot for me. I just wish there was no respawn timer. 

Pac-Man Championship Edition DX - The common complaint is that the game is too easy, but that's missing the point. The game is about style and scoring, and if you can't get your fix of both in PMCEDX (ASDFJKL;), then you probably never will. That a good new Pac-Man game can be released in 2010 is fascinating. That it is the best Pac-Man game to date is damn near miraculous. 

Other games I am (re)playing through up until the new year: 
Call of Duty: Black Ops - Probably on the back end of the list. I just don't care for the single player thus far, but the multiplayer is still great.  

Alan Wake - I think time has allowed me to forget some of my issues with the game, but the atmosphere is superb. Back end of list, maybe.  

Super Mario Galaxy 2 - I need to beat the game, but it feels mostly like more of the same. Though, maybe it'll surprise me later on.  

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood - I didn't care much for either of the previous AC games, but this seems better for me. Could land anywhere. 

Games which may sneak in: 
Super Street Fighter IV - I was too late to be enamored with the multiplayer, and the new characters weren't enough for me.  

Monday Night Combat - A ripoff of TF2, perhaps, but then, I've never played TF2. Great co-op and multiplayer modes, but too few maps.  

Donkey Kong Country Returns - A marked downgrade from the original, but the last level is its best. Good, but not great or memorable.