Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Malakhii
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/66212      
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/27/zynga-estimated-to-be-worth-more-than-ea/     
Apparently Zynga, the people of the critically acclaimed hit FarmVille and the huge epic Mafia Wars are worth more then Industry giant EA. Cheesus man, what are we coming to, they made a $1.6 billion profit this year and that is estimated to go up to $3.6 billion in three years. I honestly don't see that happening, I think these stupid Facebook games are more of a fad then anything, but I guess some people REALLY like them. 

Bobdaman18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Bobdaman18

Dammit, you just ruined my day.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I think this has been the case for a while, you know Popcap are also worth a nice sum as well.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By FourWude

Awesome. Shit sells.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By xMP44x

That's almost depressing, but considering the sheer popularity of Facebook games they likely will continue to expand until one day when they just... implode. Ridiculous that they can make so much profit from a game that isn't really that entertaining or that impressive. A sorry state of affairs for the gaming industry when a company like Zynga can actually be worth a fortune.

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Malakhii
@Gamer_152: Popcap sells casual retail games though, Zygna gives you the game and you just buy addons, or spam you friends for help. I guess it's proving to be an effective business model, sort of how free to play MMO's have been increasing profits after they make the switch. 
The_Tolman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_Tolman

Fuck you facebook and the shit you spawned.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8  Edited By demontium
@Malakhii: It's supposed to be "Zynga is worth more than EA" not "Zynga is worth more then EA."
Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Malakhii
demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By demontium
@Malakhii said:
" @demontium: Thanks boss, here I got this for you. "
Why thanks! Oh! By the way can ya come in saturday?
Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Malakhii
@demontium: Only if I get overtime. Too bad I can't fix topic titles, now it's driving me crazy. 
MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Damnit. Everyone, go out and buy an EA game!

Avatar image for theblindchessman
TheBlindChessman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheBlindChessman

Why does everyone hate FarmVille? Is it a bad game or is it just the bussiness model?

Surely more people playing games is a good thing? And it's not like they're taking customers away from other platforms.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Pinworm45
@TheBlindChessman said:
"Surely more people playing games is a good thing?  "
Not really. More people in something that's good leads to something that's good becoming bad. 
dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By dillonwerner

You've got to be shitting me.  How is that even possible?  EA has been a major gaming powerhouse for years, and Zynga has been around for 1 year or so?

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By 234r2we232

Evil is worth more than evil? I don't understand?

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By EuanDewar

Well, sex sells y'know?
SBYM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SBYM

Waaaaaaaa a game that I dislike is very popular! Time for more crying!

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mordukai
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JJOR64

Shows you how well casual games can do in this day in age.

marrec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By marrec
@Mordukai said:
It still doesn't stop FarmVille from having 62 million active users . What were WoW's active users number at it's highest?  "  

Active? What constitutes Active according to Zynga? 

I think the most interesting statistic would be the turnover for Farmville et all, if they are rolling through users quickly then eventually they will run out of rubes to play their game.
Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Ryax
@DillonWerner said:
" You've got to be shitting me.  How is that even possible?  EA has been a major gaming powerhouse for years, and Zynga has been around for 1 year or so? "
money cheats
mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mordukai
@marrec said:
" @Mordukai said:
It still doesn't stop FarmVille from having 62 million active users . What were WoW's active users number at it's highest?  "  
 Active? What constitutes Active according to Zynga?  I think the most interesting statistic would be the turnover for Farmville et all, if they are rolling through users quickly then eventually they will run out of rubes to play their game. "
People who are playing that game on a regular basis, not just sighed users. I know more then 60% of the people on my Facebook friends list play it every day. I would know, I see their damn updates on my wall. 
ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#24  Edited By ZombiePie

I played Farmville and had a fun time with it, but spent way too much time on that game than I should have. FrontierVille almost re-sucked me into Zynga games until I once again hit the barrier of not having enough actual friends who cared about the game. I'll be the first to admit that my addiction to these games got real bad...so much so that I got very close to actually using my credit card to get funny money for Farmville to but more gas for my machinery...Let's just say that I could relapse any moment and this would be the end for me.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By valrog

Fucking Facebook.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NekuSakuraba
@ZombiePie
I played Farmville and had a fun time with it, but spent way too much time on that game than I should have. FrontierVille almost re-sucked me into Zynga games until I once again hit the barrier of not having enough actual friends who cared about the game. I'll be the first to admit that my addiction to these games got real bad...so much so that I got very close to actually using my credit card to get funny money for Farmville to but more gas for my machinery...Let's just say that I could relapse any moment and this would be the end for me.
Oh god, ZombiePie...REALLY!? T___T

Please tell me this is not you talking, I-I-I-..... FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU >:(
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BraveToaster
@SBYM said:
" Waaaaaaaa a game that I dislike is very popular! Time for more crying! "
lmao
beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By beej
@ZombiePie:  Pull yourself together man!
ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#29  Edited By ZombiePie
@beej:@NekuSakuraba:  To my defense I have always admitted to liking Zynga games as well as Pogo and Popcap. The simple truth is that I like puzzle games and feel no shame in admitting this. For example I still play Bejewled Blitz on Facebook and likewise feel no embarrassment in admitting this.
Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Brians

stupid facebook games are utterly addictive to some people.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By Shadow

I find that both sad, funny, and sad again.  Sad only because I still don't get why Farmville is popular at all and funny because...a huge corporation that puts out a hundred games a year getting beaten by a single game by a small group of developers.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Malakhii:  i dont understand how me and you, the public, playing a facebook app game for free, gives its creators b-i-l-l-i-o-n-s of dollars 

do enlighten me, sir !
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#33  Edited By Geno

Hundreds of millions * $5 > Tens of millions * $20

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#34  Edited By Tordah

That's pretty disturbing.

skadbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By skadbob
@Ahmad_Metallic: The exact same way TV networks make money: by wholesaling eyeballs to advertisers.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@UncertainOtter said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic: The exact same way TV networks make money: by wholesaling eyeballs to advertisers. "
yeah well call me stupid but i refuse to believe that those couple of square ad windows on the side of the webpage earn the game creators not millions but billions of dollars 

even if i sit down with the Farmville creator, the Facebook creator and the creators of the product being advertised on the webpage and the three of them tell me that me viewing that webpage makes the product people give the farmville people a 10-digit amount of money, i'd still refuse to believe it. it doesnt make sense. not one bit 

I mean, most of us ignore those ads and avoid them like cancer, so we dont exactly use the products and services being advertised or buy them.. if people ate those ads up like candy, i WOULD consider believing that those companies pay billions to have those ads on facebook
Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Zithe

Damn, I know it's super petty of me, but to see these guys make such huge profits off such a simple thing...I'm jealous.

skyline7284

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#39  Edited By skyline7284

We're becoming gaming hipsters.  Damnit.

Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn

This means absolutely nothing at all, the value of the company is based on what people are paying for the privately held stock. It even says so in the shacknews article that this isn't a fair reflection of the companies value, people are just buying up stock in it because they believe that casual gaming is the next big thing and want to own shares in it's biggest company when it finally goes public which it eventually will. 

If you're old enough to remember the DotCom bubble of the late 90's then this seems like exactly the same thing, investors and hedgefunds putting huge sums of money into a new and potentially huge business in an effort to drive up the valuation of the company before an IPO which ideally for them would happen with the share price of the company very high so they can sell it, make a huge profit and watch as the market is saturated with shares which then drives the value of the shares down and in turn the value of the company down until it settles at it's natural share value and company value. 

The entire business model for Zynga is that people keep playing these games to keep ad revenues high, no one knows more than us how fickle people can be on the internet and how quickly trends can change. FarmVille could have 220million users today and see that halved in a year.

eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By eric_buck
@ProjectMayhem said:
" Fuck you facebook and the shit you spawned. "
Eg-fucking-zactly.
rick9109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By rick9109

Farmville scratches my obsessive compulsive itch for a few minutes a day, meanwhile the last EA game I liked came out a year and a half ago.  So I think this is appropriate.

skadbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By skadbob
@Ahmad_Metallic: Pretty much what @Buck_Sexington said. Plus, we're not most people. Most link their Facebook accounts with Zynga, and play their games which pretty much force you to click on ads and/or sponsored links. Zynga makes money when you click. It doesn't matter to them if you buy or use their advertised products. 

Add micro-transactions to the mix (which probably is around 50% of their revenue stream) and you got a self-sufficient company that's a market research firm, a game publisher, and a content delivery network all rolled into one. You know... kind of like Comcast... but with a market size bigger than the population of the United States and certainly bigger than people who buy EA games. That's very, very attractive to investors.
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MysteriousBob

FUCK THINGS THAT ARE POPULAR FUCK EM 

NOW LETS ENJOY SOME RARE OBSCURE IMPORTED JRPG THATS ONLY GOOD BECAUSE NOBODY HAS HEARD OF IT

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@UncertainOtter said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic: Pretty much what @Buck_Sexington said. Plus, we're not most people. Most link their Facebook accounts with Zynga, and play their games which pretty much force you to click on ads and/or sponsored links. Zynga makes money when you click. It doesn't matter to them if you buy or use their advertised products.  Add micro-transactions to the mix (which probably is around 50% of their revenue stream) and you got a self-sufficient company that's a market research firm, a game publisher, and a content delivery network all rolled into one. You know... kind of like Comcast... but with a market size bigger than the population of the United States and certainly bigger than people who buy EA games. That's very, very attractive to investors. "
well then.... the internet is quite the joke isnt it ? 

i still dont understand how by CLICKING on an ad of a certain product, i give the product's creators money to pay zynga 
i have to buy a product in order to give it's company money to give to zynga. if i dont buy their product, but only click on it's add, i didnt buy it. i didnt pay them money. where do they get the money to pay zynga ?
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By penguindust

Maybe Apple should buy them instead of Sony. ;-p

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Gabriel
@skyline7284 said:

" We're becoming gaming hipsters.  Damnit. "

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Ahmad_Metallic:  OK, you're stupid.  The dollars speak for themselves but you want to grit your teeth and deny the reality that Zynga has earned a fuckload of money from selling ad space and virtual farming toys. 
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@SeriouslyNow said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic:  OK, you're stupid.  The dollars speak for themselves but you want to grit your teeth and deny the reality that Zynga has earned a fuckload of money from selling ad space and virtual farming toys.  "
no im naive/ignorant on the subject and apparently dont understand how advertising work 

you sir, tell me right now how you and i only CLICKING on the ads without purchasing what they're advertising, gives the product manufacturer money to pay facebook billions. 

go !