Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#51  Edited By Siphillis
@SBYM said:

" Waaaaaaaa a game that I dislike is very popular! Time for more crying! "

It's not a matter of disliking FarmVille and Mafia Wars, or social gaming in general.  What's bothersome is that Zynga in particular has made a sizeable fortune copying existing facebook applications (Farm Town, Mob Wars), rebranding them, and hushing competition with their superior marketing prowess.  Why else would Zynga president Mark Pincus be quoted saying "I don't fucking want innovation.  You're not smarter than your competitor. Just copy what they do and do it until you get their numbers."  And given the pace of their growth, and each game's relatively painless development cycle, expect many more prospective developers to go the way of facebook before Xbox, Wii, or even iPhone.  Much of Zynga's unsavoury tactics have been reported here by SFWeekly.

Ask yourself this question: if you could make $5 billion dollars shoveling Farmville, why on Earth would you ever invest in Call of Duty?
Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#52  Edited By Siphillis
@MysteriousBob said:
" FUCK THINGS THAT ARE POPULAR FUCK EM  NOW LETS ENJOY SOME RARE OBSCURE IMPORTED JRPG THATS ONLY GOOD BECAUSE NOBODY HAS HEARD OF IT "
Same as above.  I suspect most people on this forum have no real beef with social game developers, just Zynga.
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Ahmad_Metallic:   Sorry bro, I'm not here to teach you how these businesses make money, it's not my fault that you asked the internet to call you stupid.   The simple answer is a big net catches lots of fish and there is no bigger captive audience right now than Faecesbook.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#54  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@SeriouslyNow:  sounds to me like you yourself dont know how it works, and u just go with it  "ads = $$$" . personally i like to question things that are supposed to be common knowledge but for some reason i dont understand them. its not called stupidity, its called occasional ignorance, but you wouldnt understand that human quality since you've been on the internet for so long you forgot we're people with flaws, and you call other people 'stupid' frequently.
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Ahmad_Metallic:  I do know how it works, it's really rather simple marketing and ad sales.  You asked to be called stupid, I didn't just volunteer it and I did so somewhat humourously.  I also gave you an answer and their earning capacity, as I already said and as people have already tried to explain in more detail, speaks for itself.  Instead of questioning others on a forum, why not look that shit up?  If it really interests you.
WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#56  Edited By WickedCestus

The key is that there games take practically nothing to make and support, while EA pours millions of dollars into every game in order to make them good. 

Lack of pride really helps in business, apparently.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Is Mafia Wars even a real game? I always assumed it was just a Facebook thing where you get more shit if you spam the fuck out of your friend's inboxes.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#58  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@SeriouslyNow said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic:  I do know how it works, it's really rather simple marketing and ad sales.  You asked to be called stupid, I didn't just volunteer it and I did so somewhat humourously.  I also gave you an answer and their earning capacity, as I already said and as people have already tried to explain in more detail, speaks for itself.  Instead of questioning others on a forum, why not look that shit up?  If it really interests you. "
it doesnt really interest me, i just cant quite grasp the concept and since we're talking about it here, i thought i'd ask 
not everything has to be 'looked up'. im perfectly fine with asking others occasionally, and being asked. just because google is one click away, doesnt mean i have to use it. some people dont mind being asked by others, or asking others, when they cant be bothered looking shit up just to learn a simple piece of information
Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#59  Edited By Mrskidders

Zynga "Games" = Shit.
People who play them constantly = Morons.

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#60  Edited By JokerSmilez

It seems like everyone posting in this thread hasn't actually read the articles or the original sources. 

First, the Joystiq article (and the OP) is wrong. Zynga did not make $1.6 billion in profit this year. The entire virtual goods market generated approximately $1.6 billion revenue this year, of which Zynga took about a third, or $600 million. Revenue is all income a business receives before expenses. Profit is revenue minus expenses. A high revenue doesn't even necessarily mean you'll even make a profit. EA, for example, had a revenue for fiscal 2010 of 3.654 billion but had a net loss for the year of $677 million. It's also worth nothing that EA's revenue from digital content was $766 million, or over 25% more than Zynga's total revenue, which is entirely digital content. 

Second, market analysts expect the virtual goods market to grow to $3.6 billion in the next 3 years (not Zynga's profits), meaning that Zynga is well positioned in a new and rapidly growing market. EA, on the other hand is well positioned in an already established market which probably won't more than double in 3 years (the retail games market is actually declining), so it makes sense that Zynga's valuation is higher since it's market is likely going to grow by a lot, whereas the majority of EA's market (retail games) is shrinking, meaning investing in Zynga has a higher likelihood of turning a profit.

Thrid, this valuation is based on the selling prices of stocks of a privately held company (of which there are a comparatively small number of stocks and they are rarely sold) versus the selling prices of stocks of a publicly held company (of which there are a high number of stocks and they are often sold). This type of comparison will naturally favor the privately held company because determining the value of a privately held company is notoriously difficult. For example, this type of valuation (which is really just a fancy word for guessing) is why according to Sharespost, the same people who currently value Zynga at $5.51 billion, Facebook is valued at $32.79 billion despite having an annual revenue of only $800 million.

So, don't freak out and think the games industry is going to be nothing but Farmville clones in 3 years. According to the same valuation, Activision is worth $13.9 billion. Also, a company you've likely never heard of, Tencent Holdings Ltd., who provide value-added services like social networking services and multiplayer games for mobile phones in China is worth $43 billion.