Dream Setting and Genre Combination?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

I played loads of Relic's Warhammer 40k games this year. Started off with Space Marine, then went with Dawn of War & addons, and am currently playing Dawn of War 2. I absolutely love the setting, and Relic quickly became one of my all-time favorite developers. I'll definitely have to play Company of Heroes soon.

Back ontopic - I'd love a Battlefield-style Warhammer 40k online multiplayer game. That'd could potentially be the best thing ever. I heard Vigil's Warhammer 40k MMO moved away from being a MMO - it likely will turn out to becoming just that - a Warhammer 40k Battlefield game. Vigil has already proven to be competent at cherry picking great mechanics from other games with Darksiders, and Darksiders 2 is revving up to being a world series winning homerun this August. I'm confident this will happen, and that it won't suck!

What about you guys? What setting and genre combination do you clamor for?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Seppli

A Bethesda-style RPG (Elder Scrolls Games, Fallout 3) set in the Dark Tower universe by Stephen King. Fallout is close, but not quite fantastical enough - Dark Tower would fit the bill, and being a Gunslinger would be awesome. Just imagine the cool storyline and quest opportunities enabled by the doors between worlds/alternate dimensions/timelines and such. Mindbending stuff really.

No Caption Provided
BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By BaneFireLord

A Bethesda Lord of the Rings game would be pretty awesome.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#4  Edited By BeachThunder

Sci-fi + adventure :o

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By fattony12000

A video game set in the world of Breaking Bad, as created by Telltale Games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Film noir detective story in the Mass Effect universe. Someone's smuggling illegally modified omnitools into Elysium and the bodies are starting to pile up. And just when we were getting somewhere, about to nail the batarian bastard, some asari Spectre shows up and says that this is her case now. I don't buy it, something's up. Add to that, that volus who's been informing on the underground red sand trade has suddenly gone missing. Things are gonna get worse before they get better. *smokes in space*

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Gruff182

I'd love a really great 3rd person ninja/assassination feudal Japan type.

Basically I want the Tenchu license to go to Rocksteady.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Jimbo

I'd love to see a Bioware style RPG (not necessarily by Bioware) set in Ancient Rome or Age of Sail.

Historical fiction is ridiculously underused in gaming. You'd think it would have become more of a thing considering how successful Ass Creed has been.

DjCmeP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By DjCmeP

@Gruff182 said:

I'd love a really great 3rd person ninja/assassination feudal Japan type.

Basically I want the Tenchu license to go to Rocksteady.

This would be pretty cool

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AngelN7

@Brodehouse said:

Film noir detective story in the Mass Effect universe. Someone's smuggling illegally modified omnitools into Elysium and the bodies are starting to pile up. And just when we were getting somewhere, about to nail the batarian bastard, some asari Spectre shows up and says that this is her case now. I don't buy it, something's up. Add to that, that volus who's been informing on the underground red sand trade has suddenly gone missing. Things are gonna get worse before they get better. *smokes in space*

Main character is a coat wearing Drell right? like Feron when he was cool.

Feron Mass Effect: Redemption
Feron Mass Effect: Redemption
Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Adamsons

Sci-FI + Sandbox + Co-op

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By RIDEBIRD

Post-apocalyptic suvival focused MMO that is sandbox-y, huge, and generally has very polished and fun action mechanics. The last parts are extremely crucial, there have been janky, shitty, ones already. The damage model should be somewhat realistic, but not DayZ. Oh, and I want the world to be more fantasy and fiction-esque so you can have some leeway with mutated monsters and such. Think Fallout level of realistic world.

Players create factions, cities and quests are what you make it - your village needs water, who's going to get it from those fucking bandits over there? Why, your raiding party of course. You want to build a vehicle. You need to find everything for it by trading with other players, scavenging or what have you.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By JoeyRavn

I'd love to get an RPG that incorporates elements from The Sims and Minecraft. You know, shaping the world in the most literal sense of the expression. I'd pay million bucks to have a game where you can build your house, tailor your clothes, reshape the terrain, etc., all that with the RPG mechanics of, say, a Skyrim, Fallout or Diablo. I don't care about the setting, but gimme loads of environmental customization.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@Jimbo Agreed on the historical fiction. I'd like to see almost anything set between the fall of Rome and the Viking era. Another BioWare-style action RPG thing dealing with the Frankish Empire, the collapse of the Merovingian into the Carolingian and all the chances for warfare and intrigue there.

Or a Telltale Walking Dead style game about all the politics and court intrigue in the Byzantine empire during ... Hell, any era.
Dunchad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Dunchad

Well, my dream setting and genre don't really jibe with eachother.

- Setting: Deus Ex (specifically HR)

- Genre: RPG with turn-based combat (or with pause, like Baldur's Gates/NWNs/IWDs)

So you know - I'd settle for sequels to Deus Ex:HR and SMT: Nocturne.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

A open world (or in this case galaxy) Sci-Fi game. Like what the original Mass Effect was trying to do with the exploration but better realized.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Clonedzero

open world sandbox RPG, maybe in a sci-fi setting.

maybe something like if skyrim and mass effect had some sort of bastard love child.

Raethen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Raethen
Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Nottle

My favorite settings for games are the ones that are based on modern day but with a lot of quirk. Earthbound, MGS, Persona 3 and 4, No More Heroes, Dead Rising, and Barkley Shut up and Jam Gaiden are all games I love and thats because the settings are bizarr and humorous takes on modern society.

Mechanically I want the character interaction from a bioware game, the character speed of vanquish or Doom mixed in with physics based powers (akin to the Adept from ME1) and a squad that I can order around well. I actually really like it in a game when the powers work, like sleep, or confuse, so powers like that actually are involved in strategy. Also weapons upgrade like in Ratchet in clank and and enemies on screen that reach doom 2 levels of abundance. So it would be some weird TPS, RPG hybrid with a lot of humor and psychics?

Cubidog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By Cubidog1

A sci-fi open world rpg. Basically Mass Effect and Grand Theft Auto put together. I want to be able to choose what I can do, like being a crime lord, politicion, or bounty hunter. Space battles would have to be in there. Also getting experience for doing almost anything like in Saints Row The Third. Being able to customize almost anything would be awesome, such as weapons and vehicles, also like Saints Row The Third. Having abilities like the Force would be cool too.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Seppli

'Sci-fi & whatever genre' seems to be in high demand. Guess CD Projekt RED is on the right track with Cyberpunk. Looking forward to it too.

@Gruff182:

Absolutely - a modernized and non-clunky Tenchu game in the vein of Rocksteady's Batman design template? Brother o brother. I'd love to get my hands on such a thing.

I loved Tenchu 1 & 2 so much. Shame the franchise didn't evolve with the times. Oh well - there's that VITA game (Shinobido 2) that's Tenchu for the most parts. Didn't hear much encouraging things about it though.

Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Arbie

@Brodehouse said:

Love it! Must be made.

I'd like to see a horror/mystery set in the time of the Tudors. Mostly because I would love to see C.J.Sansom's Shardlake series as a video game!

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Rafaelfc

Jurassic Park setting in an open world survival adventure genre.

Also I think it's time to have a third person game built around exploring a haunted island with lovecraftian monsters and a sanity mechanic of some sort.

Edit to add: Oh, almost forgot!! Side scrolling metroidvania game with the aesthetic of old japanese serials like Jaspion, Jiraya, etc.

vonFlampanker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By vonFlampanker

@Seppli said:

A Bethesda-style RPG (Elder Scrolls Games, Fallout 3) set in the Dark Tower universe by Stephen King. Fallout is close, but not quite fantastical enough - Dark Tower would fit the bill, and being a Gunslinger would be awesome. Just imagine the cool storyline and quest opportunities enabled by the doors between worlds/alternate dimensions/timelines and such. Mindbending stuff really.

Fucking SOLD. Who wants my money?

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By tim_the_corsair

A BG/NWN/DA style party-based RPG set in the Wheel of Time universe.

Bonus points if you are playing as an Asha'man with a sanity mechanic that makes you think there are tiny spiders in your veins if you channel too many fireballs.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Speaking of Warhammer 40k, I'd personally really love a tabletop simulation of the game. With the same rules and ect. I don't see myself ever commiting the time or money to collect figures, but I'd really love to make an army and get into the game in a virtual setting. I find the depth of the tabletop game really interesting.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By Justin258

Just Cause 2 IN SPACE!

No, really, think about it. The setting is a bunch of small colonies that stay near each other and are all floating around a sun. You can steal spaceships and fly around between them, complete with space dogfights!

Also, the indoor areas would still be massive.

Or, a cel-shaded Doom style first person shooter where you run like the wind and blow things to bits with a double barreled shotgun.

lazerblades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By lazerblades

cyberpunk pachinko hall manager simulator.

- take stims until money runs out

- take money from pachinko machines

- buy more stims

lazerblades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By lazerblades

@Dunchad: I'd play that.

lithiumproject

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By lithiumproject

Mega Man / FPS... but with an actual budget and a platform to be released on.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By ProfessorEss

Saint's Row style open-world with fast and loose action with a medieval fantasy setting.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By OneManX

Hardcore Zombie survival of Day-Z with the feel and speed of Left 4 Dead.

...Basically a Walking Dead game

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jay444111

@Dunchad said:

Well, my dream setting and genre don't really jibe with eachother.

- Setting: Deus Ex (specifically HR)

- Genre: RPG with turn-based combat (or with pause, like Baldur's Gates/NWNs/IWDs)

So you know - I'd settle for sequels to Deus Ex:HR and SMT: Nocturne.

They are making Shin Megami Tensei 4... for 3DS... just thought you should know.

Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#34  Edited By Liquidus

Neuromancer/Blade Runner esque world with Mass Effect style design.

Dunchad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Dunchad

@Jay444111:

That would've been amazing news... if I had a 3DS or any intention of buying it. Oh well - maybe I can get a used one cheap, by the time they release the game.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#36  Edited By Svenzon

@Fattony12000 said:

A video game set in the world of Breaking Bad, as created by Telltale Games.

That would be absolutely amazing. An episodic side-story could work. You could play as a new fish in Gus Fring's empire, starting out as a waiter at Los Pollos Hermanos and then work your way up, meeting Walt, Jesse and Mike along the way. I'm sure the actors would love reprising their roles.

As for me, I would love to see an RPG in a historical Swedish setting. Can't say which period, since there's much to choose from. Medieval times, with a hint of The Seventh Seal, maybe?