German government officially recognizes games as art.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Meowayne

Apart from the upcoming Games Convention in Leipzig, German gamers - the most numerous community of gamers in Europe - have another major reason to celebrate. The Deutscher Kulturrat (lit. "German Arts Council") has officially recognized Video- and Computergames as "objects of cultural value", i.e. art.
While the specific implications of this step are yet to be seen, it is a big accomplishment, considering the countrys reputations as one of the more radical ones concerning censorship and banning of games,*  as well as frequent media outbursts of uninformed ignorant scapegoating of video games whenever there are spectacular cases of youth criminalism.

The cooperation of games manufacturers and spokespersons with the German Arts Council will probably have a huge impact on how games are viewn, presented in the media (as described above) and protected by the law, not to mention a potentially huge positive impact on the (very strict) rating system.

Malte Behrmann (CEO of the National Association of Video game devlopers, GAME):
 "This is a milestone for German media policy - historic, you might even say. For the very first time, the video game industry has been institutionally anchored into nationwide cultural politics. It's really a great day for the games industry."

/me likes this a lot. It's yet to be seen what (if anything) will really change, but it excites me to see that there's actually progress to get us out of the "Teh Doom will turn our children into serial killers!" times.

* A sidenote: For those who don't know, no German gamer really cares about the whole censorship/ban issue, since you can legally and uncomplicatedly buy the uncut austrian versions of the games in every retail store.

Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Colonel_Cool

There is no game that I would consider to be a work of art. Anything that will get outdated and viewed as ugly or outdated as time passes is not art.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By brukaoru

Finally! A government with some sense!

Colonel_Cool said:

"There is no game that I would consider to be a work of art. Anything that will get outdated and viewed as ugly or outdated as time passes is not art."
I know art is subjective and everyone has their own opinion on what art is, but are you serious? How about famous paintings like the Mona Lisa? Isn't that dated, hasn't it lost it's original beauty? Would you say the Mona Lisa isn't art then? I think that time and age makes no difference. Art is art, no matter how much time passes... At least in my opinion.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Meowayne

Who cares whether some individuals might argue that games aren't art! It's the political implications and major positive PR boost are what makes this great. Especially coming from a country with a long record of releasing censored game material or not releasing at all. If this had come sooner, who knows whether Microsoft had decided to show Gears2 at the Games Convention after all?

An example, though not a very good one: The use of swastikas is forbidden by german law, except in the arts, when put into a proper context. Littering a stage play with swastikas is allowed, but every WWII-shooter had to be altered to have them completely removed. This whole process can be skipped now. (Not that anyone needed them. Or WWII shooters in general. Just sayin.)
Getting money to advertise your games will become easier now.
Fighting biased, ignorant media coverage of "killer"-games will become a lot easier now.

You may consider games art or not. Doesn't matter. What matters is that a government accepted and embraced video games not as some kids toys, but as a respectable industry employing thousands of creative minds and ideas.

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By AndrewGaspar

Does this mean no more censorship?

Iraqi_Gangster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Iraqi_Gangster

Finally! Go Germany go!

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Meowayne

No. There will be censorship alright. There's censorship in movies and they've been declared cultural a while ago. It may lessen the strictness in ratings. At the moment, many games get a 18+ rating even with all blood and gore edited out. It's not a bad rating system per se - Games, just like movies, undergo a very careful testing progress by a committee of quite a lot of people (including students/gamers) and each rating is given a detailed explanation. It's just very, very strict when it comes to violence, especially violence against humans that is rewarded in some form or another, meaningless violence without any purpose. Konami fought hard to get a 16+ rating for Metal Gear Solid, and they got it, but just barely, because the killing is optional and the characters reflect upon the violence.

What's really harmful for the industry is the indexing of titles. If a title is indexed (Gears of War, Resident Evil 2, for example), it isn't  "banned", if you're 18 you can purchase it legally, but any form of advertising is forbidden. Thus, no media coverage, no appearance in charts, magazines, and the game must not be accessible to minors, meaning that retailers can only story them "out of view". Of course, no publisher wants their title indexed in Germany. So they release edited, heavily cut titles or they don't release the game at all (Gears2 will not get an official german release and microsoft will not showcase it at Leipzig).
Halo3 is an 18+ title, but not indexed.

As I said, it doesn't make a difference to the average gamer. If I want Gears2, I may buy it online (absolutely no probs there) or just walk into the next gamestop in November and ask them to sell me an Austrian copy, which they will have. But if the new classification of games has an influence on the rating (which isnt all that unlikely), things might get a little more normal.

Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Dan

I don't find this at all surprising. Anybody who says that games could never be art simply doesn't understand art as much as they think they do. Videogames are, and have for a long time been a very expressive media.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9  Edited By Arkthemaniac
Colonel_Cool said:
"There is no game that I would consider to be a work of art. Anything that will get outdated and viewed as ugly or outdated as time passes is not art."
Well, Super Mario World is timeless, soooooo....

I would agree with you, there is no game that is art....YET. But that's because few are trying. I'd say the closest anyone has come would be Okami.
KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By KingBroly

On a related note, Germany is not getting Gears of War 2.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So they say...

Clean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Clean
Colonel_Cool said:
MGS4 to me will always be viewed as artt but I do get your point
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By crunchUK

nice. do you reckon that games will become like painting??? once tecnique is perfected (i.e graphics) we move on to more absrtact and varied forms like cubism. cool i can't wait

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

crunchUK said:
"nice. do you reckon that games will become like painting??? once tecnique is perfected (i.e graphics) we move on to more absrtact and varied forms like cubism. cool i can't wait"
Have you played PJ Eden? lol
Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Colonel_Cool
brukaoru said:
"Finally! A government with some sense!

Colonel_Cool said:
I know art is subjective and everyone has their own opinion on what art is, but are you serious? How about famous paintings like the Mona Lisa? Isn't that dated, hasn't it lost it's original beauty? Would you say the Mona Lisa isn't art then? I think that time and age makes no difference. Art is art, no matter how much time passes... At least in my opinion.
"
The Mona Lisa is very old, but that doesn't mean it's outdated. People today still marvel at it. Art doesn't age the same way games do. Doom was a classic back in the 90's, but it doesn't have the same impact today as it did back then. Someone who played it back then would have thought that it was amazing, but someone who had never heard of it before and played it today wouldn't be impressed at all.

Edit: I would however, agree with the German Arts Council's description of games as "objects of cultural value", since they do have an impact on our culture. That is not the same thing as being art, however.
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By brukaoru
Colonel_Cool said:
"The Mona Lisa is very old, but that doesn't mean it's outdated. People today still marvel at it. Art doesn't age the same way games do. Doom was a classic back in the 90's, but it doesn't have the same impact today as it did back then. Someone who played it back then would have thought that it was amazing, but someone who had never heard of it before and played it today wouldn't be impressed at all."
As I have said, art is subjective. There are classic games that are still enjoyed by people, you say someone may not be impressed at all, but I don't believe that. Plenty of people go back to play older games they never played before and can enjoy the experience and I believe they can also be impressed at what they offer. I think my opinion would be expressed better if I used the definition of art:

"art noun
1. The quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance."
"According to aesthetic principles," doesn't this mean that people will find beauty in certain things and others won't? How can videogames not be classified as art? Videogames put players in a state of mind that causes them to have certain emotions, this is what art does, right? I just don't understand how people can say movies are art but videogames aren't... I'm just not seeing something they are seeing, I suppose...
Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Colonel_Cool

I go back and play many of my old games, like Half-Life and Doom, but they don't hold up as well today. They are worse today than they were before, and a lot of the fondness we feel towards these games comes from the nostalgia factor. I'm certain that a game could be called art, but there isn't a game existing today that gives invokes any sort of emotional response from me. Games are for fun, and are designed to be fun and make money. But they don't have much of any artistic or emotional expression, and unfortunately aren't developed with any of this in mind. Games like Bioshock try to be art, and might include a lame "moral choice" theme, but it isn't nearly fleshed out enough.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Systech

This whole "Games as art" debate just seems lame. I think some games are artistic in merit like BioShock, Braid, Okami, and many other games that bring something different to the table and execute it well. If I were to argue which games were art, games that are original and memorable are artistic in some way.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Meowayne
KingBroly said:
"On a related note, Germany is not getting Gears of War 2."
As I explained, this is not true. Microsoft is not publishing an official "german" version of the game (i.e. under german law/licensensing), but every german gamer can walk into the next game retailer and legally buy a localized german version of the game in November. Because every shop will have the austrian version in stock.

If Microsoft would officially release the game in germany, it would get indexed right away, knowing this, they skip the whole publishing process and all the hassle involved, because that would be unnecessarily  spent money. So they don't, knowing that German gamers will be able to get the game anyway.

This is Europe. There's countries everywhere. Retailers always have uncut european versions of every game. Selling and buying them is completely legal and uncomplicated.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Cube

Who cares?

Sorry, I lose interest in this. I play games because they're fun. Not because they're obscure and beautiful. Not sitting, analyzing everything and acting as if I'm staring at the Mona Lisa. Play games for fun.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cube said:
"Who cares?

Sorry, I lose interest in this. I play games because they're fun. Not because they're obscure and beautiful. Not sitting, analyzing everything and acting as if I'm staring at the Mona Lisa. Play games for fun."
And you watch movies because they are entertaining, right? Yet movies are considered a form of art, where games aren't?...
calf_exercises

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By calf_exercises
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24  Edited By Arkthemaniac
calf_exercises said:
"

nice, about time too.
Personally I think all games are artistic in some sort of wat, but some games alot more than others.

"
I dunno. I don't see the art in Unreal Tournament, but that doesn't mean it's not good.
Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Colonel_Cool
Sentry said:
"Cube said:
"Who cares?

Sorry, I lose interest in this. I play games because they're fun. Not because they're obscure and beautiful. Not sitting, analyzing everything and acting as if I'm staring at the Mona Lisa. Play games for fun."
And you watch movies because they are entertaining, right? Yet movies are considered a form of art, where games aren't?..."
I certainly think a game could be considered art, but there aren't any so far. And not all movies should be considered art. There are amazing movies like The Godfather, 2001: A Space Odyssey, etc, but there are also movies like Meet the Spartans and Doom that don't have any artistic value at all.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

games aren't art, they are a collection are art.

There's music, 3d art, drawings, unnatural expression, abstract art, and lots of artforms in games.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Colonel_Cool said:
"Sentry said:
"Cube said:
"Who cares?

And you watch movies because they are entertaining, right? Yet movies are considered a form of art, where games aren't?..."
I certainly think a game could be considered art, but there aren't any so far. And not all movies should be considered art. There are amazing movies like The Godfather, 2001: A Space Odyssey, etc, but there are also movies like Meet the Spartans and Doom that don't have any artistic value at all."

same goes with paintings. for example:
DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28  Edited By DARKIDO07

Thats really good for Germany, but I'm so glad the United States doesn't have the power to censor or ban games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Colonel_Cool said:
"Sentry said:
"Cube said:
"Who cares?

I certainly think a game could be considered art, but there aren't any so far. And not all movies should be considered art. There are amazing movies like The Godfather, 2001: A Space Odyssey, etc, but there are also movies like Meet the Spartans and Doom that don't have any artistic value at all."
All forms of entertainment should be considered art, movies, music, games, etc. They don't have to be GOOD art, just like not all paintings are good, and not all movies are good, but the general medium is an art form.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Meowayne
DARKIDO07 said:
"Thats really good for Germany, but I'm so glad the United States doesn't have the power to censor or ban games."
Again: The german government doesn't do any censoring at all. It's the publishers and developers who censor their own games to get a lower rating. This happens in the US on a regulary basis as well. It's just that the German rating system is a hell of a lot more strict (when it comes to violence. nobody cares about nudity/profanity) and the highest possible rating ("Keine Jugendfreigabe", Not Approved For Minors) forbids the publisher to do any kind of advertising. So some of them decide not to release a german version and instead produce more austrian copies because German gamers will buy that instead.
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I'm surprised and very pleased to hear this, I did not expect this in the least, but I think its great that the council have the wits about them to see that video games can be perceived as a valid art form.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By brukaoru
Colonel_Cool said:
"I certainly think a game could be considered art, but there aren't any so far. And not all movies should be considered art. There are amazing movies like The Godfather, 2001: A Space Odyssey, etc, but there are also movies like Meet the Spartans and Doom that don't have any artistic value at all."
I think there has been artistic games already... I guess we just have different opinions on this, though I do agree with your statement that not all movies should be considered art.

SmugDarkLoser said:
"same goes with paintings. for example:.."
Thank you for posting that. Almost all abstract art agitates me. How someone can put blobs of paint on a canvas and it be called art, I don't understand it... What makes me more angry is that these paintings will go for millions of dollars, when a legitimate painting will sometimes go for barely nothing... Ridiculous.

Linkyshinks said:
"brukaoru said:
"Finally! A government with some sense!

Lol. I would not go that far missy..."
Well I did say some, not a lot. :P
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Meowayne
Linkyshinks said:
I doubt that very much, in every store, if that was the case it would make the German censorship on games seem even more stupid that they already are. A friend had to import RE4 Wii Edition from Holland due to the censorship, that's hardly uncomplicated.
Then your friend didn't know better. It really is that easy. (And it really is that stupid, although I find Germany's views on violence in media far more reasonable and comprehensible than America's views on nudity and sexuality)
I bought my uncut RE4Wii from an online retailer. Shipment took 2 days. I could have gone to the local Gamstop to buy it, but it was cheaper online.

Buying imported uncut versions of games in germany is neither difficult, nor more expensive nor does it take longer. And it's legal.  That's "uncomplicated" if you ask me.

Edit Right, maybe not in every store. Let me rephrase: Finding a retailer that sells Uncuts is neither difficult nor time-consuming.
Edit Edit,
Also, again, there's no "german censorship". Developers/Publishers censor games themselves to get a lower rating.
Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Cube
Sentry said:
"Cube said:
"Who cares?

I watch movies and play games for the same reason. They're fun to watch and play. I don't care if either are considered art, I just care if they're fun or entertaining. That's my point :|
Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Colonel_Cool
Sentry said:
"Colonel_Cool said:
"Sentry said:
"Cube said:
"Who cares?

All forms of entertainment should be considered art, movies, music, games, etc. They don't have to be GOOD art, just like not all paintings are good, and not all movies are good, but the general medium is an art form."
The way I think of it, there can be art in any form of entertainment, but not every piece of entertainment should be considered art. Some things just aren't made to be art, and instead are just made to entertain, like an action movie, or a game.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Colonel_Cool said:
"Sentry said:
"Colonel_Cool said:
"Sentry said:
"Cube said:
"Who cares?

All forms of entertainment should be considered art, movies, music, games, etc. They don't have to be GOOD art, just like not all paintings are good, and not all movies are good, but the general medium is an art form."
The way I think of it, there can be art in any form of entertainment, but not every piece of entertainment should be considered art. Some things just aren't made to be art, and instead are just made to entertain, like an action movie, or a game."
well technically either way they are art by definition.  There's expression, so it's art. 
Good art is another story.

That being said, if these two games aren't considered art (art meaning good art here), I don't think art ever existed.

Videothat shows it off: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlHM8EMSXIg&feature=related

video that shows it off: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hopKUVgGB8

For the record, on abstract, I think Picasso was a meh artist.  Not really good to be honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cube said:
"Sentry said:
"Cube said:
"Who cares?

I watch movies and play games for the same reason. They're fun to watch and play. I don't care if either are considered art, I just care if they're fun or entertaining. That's my point :|"
I know, you just proved my point. The world considers movies a form of art, yet we all consider movies and games a form of entertainment, therefore wouldn't they both be forms of art, in their own rights? Just because you don't 'care' doesn't mean they aren't art. We know you dont play games because they are 'obscure and beautiful', but we don't watch movies for that reason either.
JudgeDread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#39  Edited By mracoon

Yeah but Germany still bans so many violent games.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#40  Edited By jakob187

*ugh*  Not this again.

Games
are
not
art.

Besides, you're talking about a government that thought gas chambers were art.
JudgeDread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#41  Edited By JudgeDread
jakob187 said:
"*ugh*  Not this again.

Games
are
not
art.

Besides, you're talking about a government that thought gas chambers were art.
"
Games can be an excellent medium for art

and that second comment is just stupid.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Meowayne

mrracoon: Not at all.
jakob187: You made a funny connection to World War II when someone mentions Germany. I see what you did there! Very clever! Very clever!
JudgeDread: Please don't start the argument. You just make it look like jakobs post was worth noticing or arguing against.