Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Portable

Platform »

PlayStation Portable (PSP) is Sony's first entry into the handheld gaming market. The PSP also sports multimedia features including music and video playback, a photo viewer, and an online store. Several model revisions have been released: the PSP-2000, 3000, PSPgo and the PSP-E1000.

PSP Go Australian launch - is this the biggest sales flop ever?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

In the first week of sales of the new PSP Go in Australia has been underwhelming to say the least: 

Sony also told us that despite the sluggish launch for the PSPgo that saw it shift barely 1000 units in its first week, they’re happy with how the system is performing.   

Wow, if they are happy with that, then I would hate to see what would make them unhappy.  I saw the PSP Go for the first time in flesh, last weekend.  I was quite surprised by how much I didn't like it, but it was the price that floored me - $450.  The PS3 is $500, why on earth would anyone pay that much for it, let alone 1000 of them.  Each to their own I guess. 

In all fairness for reporting, they also said this: 
     “Since the launch of PSPgo, we have seen uplift in the entire PSP platform; this also includes PSP-3000 sales, and PSP software sales. Strong IPs lined up for the PSP Platform have assisted this.

“We’ ve taken a realistic and total platform approach to the launch; with PSP-3000 and the introduction of PSPgo offering more choice to the consumer side by side. PSPgo launch week resulted in a solid first week volume uplift of 100% for the PSP platform as a whole in Australia.

“The platform is also growing on the software side, with exclusive titles like Gran Turismo and strong first and third party IPs in the PSP pipeline. More applications such as the Digital Reader will launch with a Digital Comics later this year and a Video Download Service in the pipeline for 2010 in Australia.”  
    To get a 100% sales increase, the sales must of been extremely low.
    Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Captain_Insano

and they're advertising it on TV as well (channel 99 Go! has had mini info-mercials about why the psp go is so awesome)

I don't think I've ever seen a console ad before (well, other than nintendo). They must be desperate

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By oldschool
    @Captain_Insano said:
    " and they're advertising it on TV as well (channel 99 Go! has had mini info-mercials about why the psp go is so awesome)  I don't think I've ever seen a console ad before (well, other than nintendo). They must be desperate "
    Yes, I have seen ads on satellite television, but it doesn't seem to have helped.
    Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Cheapoz

Fuel to the fire is that Gran Turismo ads showcase the PSP3000.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By oldschool
    @Cheapoz said:
    " Fuel to the fire is that Gran Turismo ads showcase the PSP3000. "
    Doesn't make a lot of sense does it.  The fact that the game of Gran Turismo has had such poor reviews won't help.
    Avatar image for kitsune_conundrum
    kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By kitsune_conundrum

australia is iphone country.

first2die

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By first2die

In all seriousness, until they actually add phone capability onto it (if they do i WILL BUY ONE) (Skype does not count) its still the same damn product as the psp-3000, sure its a bit smaller and has a slide screen. But with the exception that it can't play any of your current psp games (you have to buy them again), it wont work with you current TV adapter, what is the difference? 

Same console, same games, more expensive price. 

Pass.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Linkyshinks

*sighs* Sony.. 

I was going to get one, until I came to me senses last week...I will most likely sell my current one and get a 3000 model now.  

I had no idea Gran Turismo PSP had bad reviews...If LittleBigPlanet PSP goes the same way, this may not be the resurgence I was expecting.  

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and LBP, would have been great titles to launch the PSPGo with. It puzzles me why they didn't hold back on releasing the handheld until those games were both ready.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By oldschool
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " *sighs* Sony..  I was going to get one, until I came to me senses last week...I will most likely sell my current one and get a 3000 model now.     I had no idea Gran Turismo PSP had bad reviews...If LittleBigPlanet PSP goes the same way, this may not be the resurgence I was expecting.   Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and LBP, would have been great titles to launch the PSPGo with. It puzzles me why they didn't hold back on releasing the handheld until those games were both ready. "
    Only 4 cars on a track at a time and no career mode = big disappointment.  I really wanted it to be good as I love the series, but no, there are much better racing games on the PSP.  It is hard to see the PSP gaining any traction with the Go and surely some major price cuts will have to happen very quickly.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.