This isn't very good!

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I've been trying to find some time to get an Unfinished of this out but have been having a devil of a time getting a recording going as there doesn't appear to be a functional resolution slider in Windowed mode? Trying to play windowed at 1920x1080 just reverts me to some stretched full-screen mode which I've been trying to record but not getting any audio out of. I'll keep knocking about and maybe we'll see it on UPF or something.

Anyway, this is pretty bad and you should probably avoid it. It's not a good ARPG by any means! There's basically no loot except from gold on the overworld map (you can find equipment but it seems like it's more from quest rewards), and there aren't many enemies on the map either, so you're basically just walking for a minute or two at a time between fights sometimes. There are no chests or interesting side-paths in the map as far as I can tell, so it's really just...walking around.

Performance is pretty terrible, with even a 3080 not being able to smooth out the FPS drops. There are barely any video options to massage here, just "Low/Normal/High/Ultra" settings without any explanation of what they're doing, and the UI seems significantly unfinished in a lot of ways (to the point where I suspect this was originally intended as a mobile title, maybe). The deck shuffling system is kind of neat in that you have different spells that are popping in and out of your hand at any time, but by and large these are either "summon monster" or "do AOE" without much variety between them, so it doesn't really matter all that much.

I don't know that the MTX stuff is all that pernicious, although some of the options are really pricey; new classes are like 25 bucks in real money, which seems kind of insane (although apparently you can get some of these through the free battlepass).

I don't really know who this game is for right now. There are far better F2P ARPGs out there (Path of Exile) and obviously far better F2P Magic experiences (Arena). I'm sure it'll make boatloads of money but it seems pretty bad!

AardvarkBarber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Thanks for the heads up! Look forward to seeing it at some point on stream!

Avatar image for lapsariangiraff
lapsariangiraff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Everything I've heard about this has been discouraging, to put it lightly. The writing in that tweet you sent out, too, blech.

Between this and the introduction of weird IP crossovers with the Walking Dead, I'm wondering whether Hasbro's "all Magic all the time" strategy isn't going in some weird directions.

Magic Arena is great though!

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I downloaded this and was planning on trying it out. This is disappointing for sure.

Kalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I played a bit over the weekend. The card skill system is... an interesting design choice, but I don't know if it's good.

You can unlock the other starting classes in the personal hub area thing. The first one is fairly quick to get the materials for, but after that it gets comically expensive. They also added the class you can unlock from buyable packs as the reward for the end of the battlepass.

Performance is abysmal. A bunch of spell effects and scripted stuff in the story are unoptimized and will take any system down to single digit framerates right now.

I didn't really notice the lack of enemies outside of Tolaria(?, the blue mage area) which had a lot of broken events at the time. That said, the map isn't great, but you should be using that to go from event to event when in the overworld, and the story missions / queued group content has tons of stuff to kill while dealing with the stuttering frame rates. All in all, I'd agree to not recommend it, but maybe they'll develop it into something, who knows.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I thought the only reason I hadn't been hearing much of this past those dev diary videos they put out was because it was Epic Store exclusive but I don't recall seeing any sort of marketing for this game at all. It just kinda seems like they plopped out the open beta which doesn't really bode well for the long run if this game isn't all too great. Kinda disappointed since there's not really a big market of ARPG's right now for people not into PoE or have burnt out on Diablo.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Had a bad feeling about this one from the early footage they showed :( shame it didn't work out as I feel the lore of MTG could be adapted into other genres in really cool ways.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I thought the only reason I hadn't been hearing much of this past those dev diary videos they put out was because it was Epic Store exclusive but I don't recall seeing any sort of marketing for this game at all. It just kinda seems like they plopped out the open beta which doesn't really bode well for the long run if this game isn't all too great. Kinda disappointed since there's not really a big market of ARPG's right now for people not into PoE or have burnt out on Diablo.

You should check out Last Epoch if you haven't already; for my money, it's the closest to a 'modern Diablo II,' if that's interesting to you.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It felt so bad to play, looked bad, and played bad. It continues a long standing WotC tradition of putting the least effort into their digital products, just license it out and take the cash. Such a shame, the Magic universe has so much potential for awesome video games...but they just don't care.

sad_aust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Magic: Legends has some major performance issues right now. I would say you are probably better off waiting to try the game till later this year to give some time for patches to fix the launch jank that every Cryptic MMO has had.

As far as setting resolution goes here is how it normally works for Cryptic games: when you are in windowed mode the window size is your resolution, in borderless window mode it uses your desktop resolution and fullscreen you should have full resolution options. You should be able to type in "/screen x y" replacing x and y with desired resolution size to resize the screen to what you want.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

That's too bad. Seemed conceptually neat. Oh well.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yeah, I had played a few hours of the alpha and realized at the end of it that I never once received any actual loot. I was wondering what the deal with that was. Getting a bunch of cool loot is the thing people like about these sorts of games! Weird.