The Last Hurrah! Marvel's Avengers Discounted To $4 Before It Gets Delisted At The End Of The Month

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#1 ZombiePie  Staff
No Caption Provided

Marvel's Avengers is currently being sold on Steam, PlayStation, and Xbox marketplaces for $3.99 as the game is being prepared to become delisted on those marketplaces at the end of the month. This is the definitive edition of the game, which includes paid season pass content and post-release paid and free expansions. The image above is the disclaimer the game has on the Steam hub when you go to its current store page.

Now, while this discount is certainly appreciated, most of you probably know that Marvel's Avengers was designed to be an online co-op focused experience. While the game's delisting is set for 9/30/2023, Square-Enix and Crystal Dynamics has not clarified when the game's servers will go offline. Currently, the game remains playable if you have a copy and multiplayer and limited-time events that require server support are still running. Admittedly, the game has a pretty stunning amount of content that can be played single-player. Nonetheless, tread carefully but at $4, the game is worth a shot if you haven't already given it a whirl.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I bought this game on launch and reinstalled went back to it this month to grab cosmetic content (which is now either free or functionally free) and just take a peek before the big change, though my understanding is the delisting doesn't actually immediately affect anything.

It crystalized to me just how depressing the live service aspect of this game is because I dove into the Kate Bishop campaign (which I hadn't played) and she controls great and is fun to use and well characterized...but the levels are so boring that I dropped off after a couple missions. Everything that makes this game bad is a result of trying to build a live service infinitely playable game instead of a satisfying campaign. The characters are fine to use, it looks good, runs fine, has a decent story but....the levels and enemies are just endlessly boring and so many of the objectives flat out suck (especially if you're playing single player.)

Of all the games I've played significant amounts of (and I did beat the main campaign) this is the one most obviously ruined by live service bullshit. Crystal Dynamics made a good Tomb Raider trilogy before this and Avengers could have been even better if they'd only focused on a fun campaign first and built everything around it. It still could have had multiplayer and post game live service randomly generated bullshit if they wanted, but they focused on that first and it just destroys the game.

Not to say people shouldn't get it for $4 because the campaign does have some good bespoke levels in it and I think the last level of the main campaign is excellent, just wanted to complain about a game that really disappointed me.

Oh and if you're picking a platform remember that Spider-Man is PlayStation only!

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

Kind of sad. I actually enjoyed my time with Marvel Avengers. The good story mode aside, the online could've been great had they put some meaningful work into it, instead of making it a throw away microtransaction feature that wasn't even good with the transactions. The combat in the game is very fun and unlocking the full move set of characters and then prestige them even further to make them stronger was fun.

Its also sad that this game in a lot of ways is why a lot of gamers don't have faith in the Suicide Squad game that might get cancelled.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I played over 200 hours of this game in single player. I had a lot of fun with it. Never tried to play online.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@av_gamer: This game could have had good online (since it has some good fundamentals) but there were some really weird and irritating choices. Like focusing on command point control as a major mechanic in a PvE game, and the infuriating choice not to let you switch characters if there are any computer controlled characters in the game...AND make it so the computer controlled characters won't open loot vaults...it has to be a human.

Why can't I hot swap to control one of the computer controlled characters (especially if I get knocked down?) That's a basic ability in so many RPGs and would have solved a number of issues this game has.

But the fundamental problem is that the levels are mostly boring and samey...especially outside the campaign. And the bosses are mostly terrible. When I hear "Marvel Avengers Super-Villain" I do not think of generic mechs. Even the bosses who are from the comics are not fun to fight except the final boss....who then does not show up in any of the repeatable Villain Sectors.

If they spent less time on cosmetics nobody bought and more on level design this game might still be popular.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That’s definitely cheap, but I didn’t even try it when it was on Game Pass and outside of Spider-Man, I think my mood for anything Marvel has significantly dropped by now, so I think I’ll pass.

Kinda crazy though that this game (too) is basically going to disappear.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glots: It's not going to disappear any more than any other licensed game from the past. It exists in physical copies and is playable offline. It will eventually have its online taken down, of course, but that happens to a lot of games these days.

borgmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

I played it shortly after it came out. It was obvious that Crystal D had the core idea of a good game, but it's impossible to do anything of value with both Squenix and Disney hovering over you. Sadly, the main legacy of this thing will be as one of the top examples of games that were sunk by unnecessary live service implementation.

The weird thing is that in hindsight this is probably one of the better adaptations of Kamala Khan we're ever going to get.