EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By EXTomar

@hailinel said:

@extomar: I think Notch just doesn't want the responsibility of owning/operating a company and all of the headaches that entails. It's not about selling off Minecraft, but everything associated with it.

I definitely get that sense from reading up on the responses. And I get the sense that Minecraft is starting to shift into a "mature state" where changing anything is met with resistance making the whole thing "generally unfun".

To be clear I don't fault Notch for selling. I am only wondering if Microsoft over paid or if they could have spent that money in better ways like revitalizing first parties to release several new games and IPs instead or spent a fraction acting as an indie producer. I feel that Microsoft isn't going to beat Sony let alone anyone else with a game studio that had one hit where instead they could bury Sony in an avalanche of games.

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Not too surprised by this. Notch never struck me as a person that liked the attention he got from Minecraft and all the money it made him. Getting out of Mojang (Which seems like a smart thing, since that studio wasn't going anywhere beyond Minecraft) and taking the money to maybe finance some projects you like, doesn't sound like a bad deal. I hope he sticks around the Swedish indie scene, because people like him inspire others to try their luck at making games.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

@humanity said:

@cassus said:

@ch3burashka: I agree, I think MS boned themselves a bit when they bought MC without Persson. At the same time, Persson hasn't actually been involved in minecraft for some time. I'm guessing the team that heads up the PC development stays intact?

Just hope MS knows what they've bought. I get the distinct impression that they don't..

Also, about the morals and the sale.. 2.5 bill dollars means you have to start flipping the moral question around. It is morally sketchy to say no thanks to 2.5 billion bucks for a piece of paper when you think of all the good you can do with that money. Money that would be spent on something either better or worse according to your moral compass.

Saying no to 2.5bn bucks isn't always the morally superior choice, no matter what your original stance.

I'm pretty sure a huge company like Microsoft that probably goes through dozens of dozens of meetings before anything is actually decided, didn't just spend 2.5 billion dollars on something they didn't really understand.

They know it makes money. They have huge resources to throw at it now in order to make new content - an area in which the original game was stagnating. It would take a lot of effort on Microsofts part to screw this up, and despite the popular 14 year olds opinion on the GameSpot message boards, they're not that stupid.

Courier, Kin... dozens of project whose main function was to drain resources and produce nil. I'd list one more that occurred recently, but I can't bring it to mind. Just because they have dozens of meetings doesn't mean the old white men in charge understand what the hell they're doing.