Can one buy one now?

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Hi guys,

PC gamer here. Can one buy the Switch now? I hear there were numerous quality problems. Controllers, Docking station scratches etc.

I want to attach it to a 2440p monitor (HDMI). Will it scale properly?

Thanks in advance!

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The controller issue seems fixed as far as I know. The docking station issue I'm not sure about, but you can deal with that easily with a screen protector.

As for scaling properly, doesn't that depend on the monitor? It's a 1080p (sometimes 900 or 720) HDMI signal. If your monitor handles those well it will handle the Switch. I don't think it has anything to do with the Switch itself.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@bigsocrates: Yes, the monitor should take care of it. Just making sure if there is not a freak bug or such things.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wuddel: There was a bug where for some TVs the Switch would change the HDMI channel even in sleep mode, which was annoying. I had that bug and I had to unplug my Switch from the TV when not using it.

They patched it and it is fixed for me and I haven't seen others complaining that the patch didn't work.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ripelivejam

The numerous quality problems were exaggerated by gaming media (thanks crowbcat!). I think the real stickler with the left joycon is fixed. Should be fine.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By WynnDuffy

Put a screen protector on it immediately.

The screen is about the level of quality you'd expect from a $50 smartphone. I say that in terms of scratch resistance/durability, it's a fine looking screen otherwise.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By frytup

I've had one since launch with no protector and haven't scratched the screen, but I treat it like a widdle babby. If you tend to be rough on things, be aware the screen is plastic and you probably need to protect it.

As for actually getting ahold of one at normal retail price, it's still very spotty.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My local Best Buy and Walmart almost always seem to have at least one up for sale. Pro Controllers seem easy to get, it's just replacement JoyCons that I've yet to ever see on the shelf.

Goboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I was able to buy the Zelda bundle at Gamestop two weeks ago and since I've had it I've not noticed any weird issues. Granted I only ever use it with the joycons connected to the switch and never dock it.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By nicksmi56

I got the Mario Kart bundle from GameStop and have had no problems with it. None of my friends who got it recently have noticed anything noteworthy. Go for it.

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got one a week after launch by going to Target on a day they told me they expected stock. I've also seen them periodically on shelves since, but they haven't last long from what I can tell. I would say keep an eye on weekly ads. If it's shown in the ads, that means that the businesses should be expecting at least some stock during the week the ad is being run.

As for connection to the monitor, do you mean the resolution is 1440p as opposed to 2440p? I've never heard of the latter. If it's the former, I have hooked up my switch to a 1440p monitor and it looks fine. I think it looks better on my native 1080p monitor or TV, however.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FrostyRyan

One might want to wait until Mario Odyssey comes out before one buys one.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I know it isn't the sexiest place to shop, but, if you're in the US, Walmart has been able to keep Switch consoles on-hand consistently throughout the summer.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Bollard

One might want to wait until Mario Odyssey comes out before one buys one.

Alternately, one might want to buy one now since Odyssey is out soon and one might find them significantly harder to find near release...