Will new and old 3DS games be on the Switch?

laxbro19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By laxbro19

One of the things that has me hopeful for the Switch is the idea that there will be some games that have Switch and New 3DS releases as we saw with the Fire Emblem Warriors announcement. There is also past precident for this when Super Smash Bros. was released on Wii U and 3DS. While I wouldn't argue that the versions of those games had any kind of parity. But having a more unified library would be a great boon to consumers like me who didn't get 3DS's and Wii U's but like the game sthat came out on them.

Do you think that Nintendo will do more to have library crossover? What do you think comes crosses over first? My bet is on Pokemon within the calender year. Sun and Moon did outstanding this year and Eurogamer has all but confirmed a Switch version.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Yeah why not, they released a 2DS so why cant they run a line through their tablet.

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Literally how would we know

pkmnfrk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By pkmnfrk

Probably not. It's hard to emulate a two-screen game on a single screen in a way that doesn't suck.

I am curious to know what Pokemon Stars will look like in light of this, though. The touch screen really did wonders for the Pokemon series!

tjdmhem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

No one knows yet. Nintendo has been very cagey about anything related to the virtual console in switch

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By colourful_hippie
fugoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So far we have no idea. But hopefully. It'd be the smart thing to do.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

@tjdmhem said:

yes.

Proof?

I have an uncle who works at Nintendo and he told me all about it. I'm not supposed to tell my friends though so keep it between us ok?

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Seems like a bad move. They should want to push the Switch, not the 3DS. This seems like the type of thing where they publish 3DS games that were planned for 3DS on Switch. But not vice versa. You wouldn't want to handicap your Switch games so they can come to the 3DS as well.

@imhungry said:
@colourful_hippie said:
@tjdmhem said:

yes.

Proof?

I have an uncle who works at Nintendo and he told me all about it. I'm not supposed to tell my friends though so keep it between us ok?

I also have an uncle who works at Nintendo.

Plot twist: it's your uncle.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've played a few DS games on iPad just fine. I don't see why they couldn't run on the Switch

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@imhungry said:
@colourful_hippie said:
@tjdmhem said:

yes.

Proof?

You didn't say this was off the record, I'm going to the presses!

leogs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

Probably some HD ports of old games. Nintendo loves to resell the same games over and over again, so I expect them to resell every 1st party 3DS game in some way in the future.

fugoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leogs: hey if I can play that dq8 remaster on switch I'm all for it

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm gona guess no, i do want them to re-release games i missed by not having a Wii or Wii U, but some of those may need reworking to play with the new motion controls or without a touch screen as when docked there is no touch screen solution for the Switch... which roles into the 3DS issue. Most games on the 3DS use the touch screen and the unique dual screen layout, reworking those games to play on a Switch would take considerable effort, so really it's up to publishers including Nintendo to decide whether they want to invest the budget in re-creating these games for the Switch, similar to how Capcom released RE:Revelations on consoles and PC.
The Switch needs lots of games, the Xbox One and PS4 hosted lots of re-releases to fill their launch gap but the advantage there is releasing on multiple platforms, re-releases on the Switch will probably be exclusive so it's a bigger risk to take, and risk isn't exactly appealing to big games companies these days.