I just got a Quest for $90. What do I do now?

TopCat88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By TopCat88

I feel so fortunate to have been able to bag an Oculus Quest 1 for $90 off of Facebook marketplace. I'm picking it up tomorrow.

The Downside:

The reason for the seller selling is that it is mouldy (gross I know, but a common problem where I live (East Asia)).

I'm pretty sure I can get this thing cleaned up with a bit of effort and elbow grease, but I'll know for sure when I get a look at it tomorrow.

The Upside:

I trust the seller completely.

The expat community here is excellent, and I have no reason to doubt this guy. I'm getting a full demo before my purchase, and I'll test the whole thing out to make sure the mould is the only issue.

I used to live in a pretty damp apartment and was able to clean all my electronic stuff pretty easily.

Anyway...

Assuming it all works out and I get a working Quest 1 for a steal of a price, what do I do next?

The games:

I know this thing can be linked to a PC for access to other stores.

Half Life: Alyx: Obviously. The next sale, I'm on it.

Super Hot VR: I played this at a friends house back in the UK years ago on an HTC Vive gen1, and I still remember how amazing it was.

Beyond that I have no idea. I know I can search youtube / google for these, but I always appreciate the insight of the GB Gang.

The Questions:

What are the go-to games in VR? Quest games, and other marketplaces?

What games to you guys recommend?

What is the likelihood of Facebook obsoleting this thing in the near future?

Can Quest 2 games be played on the Quest 1?

What kind of USB-C cable do I need for PC streaming?

My PC is just about VR Ready:

GTX 1070 4GB

i5 6600 @ 3.3Ghz

16GB Ram

I know the CPU is a bit dodgy for VR. What kind of performance can I expect?

Once again, I know that there's a lot of questions here, and that I could search online for most/all of the answers, but I do really appreciate the input of the GB community.

I can still get out of this purchase, but for this price, it's worth a go, even if it doesn't work out.

Thank you in advance for all that take the time to share their knowledge/experiences.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

I would like to experience Thumper, Moss, and Tetris Effect on VR besides the ones you mentioned.

Kunakai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

In so far as native games go I'd strongly recommend the Team Beef ports of older games (Quakes, Doom and Return to Castle Wolfenstein). It takes a bit of work since you need to setup sidequest and copy over files from the PC versions of said titles but it's well worth it in my experience.

Beatsaber is generally regarded as one of the best VR games. The walking Dead Saints and Sinners is also relatively highly rated but I didn't really get into it.

Most games on the Quest store are compatible with both the Quest 1 and 2 (in so far as I'm aware the only thing announced to be Quest 2 exclusive is the upcoming Resident Evil 4 port).

Your PC should be decent enough to run most PCVR games, though I'd steer clear of TES/FO4 (the ports look and play relatively badly even on high end hardware).

Virtual Desktop is worth picking up if you're interested in playing PCVR games wirelessly.

Camosid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If you are going to use PC link at any point. I really like Espire VR which is a stealth game, but with pretty free form mechanics to how you tackle each room. Beat Saber is always excellent if you like rhythm games. I also have surprisingly really enjoyed Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners. Slow Paced action, but nice and exploration heavy with good environment interactions.

Kunakai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

As for Link Cables I use:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MZIPYPY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"What are the go-to games in VR? Quest games, and other marketplaces?"
The big ones got mentioned already, so I'll toss in a couple of smaller (but still strong) recs I've tried.
In Death: Unchained is an excellent little roguelite focused on bows/crossbows.
Rec Room is a whole suite of fun multiplayer games for free, although the downside is that the playerbase tends to be uncomfortably young.

Tribe XR is really cool, kind of a Rocksmith for DJing, for lack of a better description. If that's up your alley, it's a must. Very much a simulator moreso than a game.

"What is the likelihood of Facebook obsoleting this thing in the near future?"
Hard to say with Facebook, but it's unlikely. Quest 1s are still quite popular. However, they're already talking about Quest 3 and beyond, so... *shrug*. I wouldn't worry about it, since you're still getting a solid PCVR headset out of it, even if they stop supporting it.

"Can Quest 2 games be played on the Quest 1?"
I don't have a Quest 1, but I thiiiink so? Might be compromised due to Quest 2's added features, but I *think* it's fully forward compatible.

"What kind of USB-C cable do I need for PC streaming?"
Don't buy the official Link unless you don't mind getting gouged. I use this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086V64MG7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and it works perfectly. In fact, in general, you'll find a lot of unofficial Chinese Quest accessories that are comparable to, even sometimes better than, the official stuff (just check the reviews first, there's equally as much trash out there)

ak1mbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Here are the secret best games:

Shadow Point

The Under Presents

Lies Beneath

Journey of the Gods

The Room VR

Ancient Dungeon Beta (must search the exact name to find it, it is on the App Lab, but it's also free)

warpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I have a Quest 1, here are the games I've finished or played long enough to have an opinion on:

• Get Beat Saber, obviously
  • Dance Central is OK, if you're into that sort of thing.
  • Republique is a VR port of a mobile game, it's a stealth game where you jump around between security cameras helping a woman escape.
  • Job Simulator / Vacation Simulator are well made. I got bored of them quickly but our 12 yr old loved them.
  • Vader Immortal is bad
  • The Room VR is pretty good
  • Tetris Effect is obviously very good, but I didn't quite understand the appeal of Tetris in VR. I enjoy playing Tetris 99 way more.
  • Rez Infinite is a nice way to revisit that classic, it doesn't hold up super well IMO, but if you have any nostalgia for it it is an excellent port and the best way to play that game.
  • Phantom: Covert Ops seemed like something I would enjoy, but it makes me nauseous after just a few minutes of playing. I tried it twice, both times I had to stop playing and lay down for a bit to recover. Something about the movement/camera just doesn't click with my brain.

I got my Quest as a gift for attending their developer conference. It has been awesome to experience VR first hand, but it hasn't been compelling enough to use it that much really.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Find custom firmware that will allow you to use it without Facebook.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Zelyre

If you want to use it wirelessly with your PC, virtual desktop. I'd also recommend a 5ghz wireless network that's pretty much dedicated entirely to the Quest if you go this route. I far prefer wireless over using a USB-C link cable. The shorter battery time doesn't matter to me, as I top out at an hour or so of VR time before I start feeling bleh.

I enjoyed the story mode of Star Wars Squadrons in VR, even if I ended up not caring much for the game play. It does a great job of making you feel like you're in the cockpit of a Star Wars fighter.

TopCat88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Thanks for all your great replies. I've got it now, just got to get through a day at work before I can set it up.