• 60 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

This is a kinda of a opposite thread on the gaming forums there is a 2017 might be the best year for gaming thread for me personally I feel it's the worst year for gaming so far. But on the flip side I feel TV is much stronger this year jammed pack with good tv series here is what I'm watching and looking forward to what are your guys watching and looking forward to in 2017?

1. Watching, Prison Break season 5 crazy that this show is back writing isn't that good but I'm mostly watching it for nostalgia and it's enjoyable for that.
  2. Watching , Better Call Saul season 3, this series is just getting better and better the writing is so good Gus is back and it adds so much more to this series now.
  3. Watched , Legion this show came out of nowhere I love mind bending shows and this one is crazy in a good way.
  4. Looking forward to Twin Peaks finally after 26 years it's coming back that has to be a record for longest wait for a new season of a TV series anyways can't wait to see what happens after the huge cliff hanger from season 2.
  5. Looking forward to Bloodline season 3 should be good last season of this show should be interesting to see how this will end.
  6. Looking forward to The Defenders see if Netflix can pull this off.
  7. Looking forward to Mr. Robot this show always surprises me can't wait for the new season.
  8. Looking forward to Black Mirror season 4 better than the twlight zone and the outer limits in my opinion I like this shows dark tone and Dystopia setting I never seen a show do better 80's nostalgia with the episode San junipero.
  9. Looking forward to The Punisher hope this comes out this year suppose to see how far they can push this character.
  10. Looking forward to The X-files it's coming back sometime late in 2017 with 10 episodes hopefully better than last season.

Well there's my list whats yours?

ehbunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Been a great year for Tv for sure, not as long as your list but so far this year I have enjoyed

the latest season of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Sherlock

Better Call Saul

Fargo Season 3

Season 3 of Broadchurch

and I am highly anticipating the third season of Fear the Walking Dead(also the main series with the second half of season 7 earlier in the year and first half of season 8)

mozzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mozzle

Sense8: Season 2

It's the only thing I need this year.

EDIT: Doctor Who seams alright so far. So that's cool.

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By devise22

Add Silicon Valley, Trailer Park Boys, Agents of Shield, American Gods to the list. Plus Thrones will probably be crazy this year. Yeah the golden age of series has been upon us for a while now honestly. New season of Halt and Catch Fire in the fall as well.

But lots of quality series out there to watch these days.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Of those mentioned, I've only really watched Better Call Saul, but it's quite good.

Though it's been increasingly weird in season 2 and 3 that it's almost 2 completely unrelated shows, one about Saul/Jimmy and one about Mike. Those two characters occasionally do small favours for each other, but otherwise their plotlines have almost no overlap whatsoever, other than "in a few years Walter White will selfishly fuck up both of their lives."

I'm still looking forward to whenever they reintroduce Bill Burr's character into Jimmy's/Saul's plotline.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hunkulese

It's kind of weird to call it the best year for TV then include 7 shows that haven't aired yet, and you admit that one of the shows you've seen doesn't have good writing. The only thing that's certain about 2017 is Carrie Coon should get the best tv actor ever award.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

I don't really see it. Better Call Saul has been good, but it's not up to where Breaking Bad was back in the day. Also, like, the Marvel stuff has been weak this year actually? What with Iron Fist being complete shit. In one series it kind of put a damper on all the interest there was for The Defenders or whatever. Additionally I don't know that "Oh season 3 of this, season 6 of this" is such a great argument for why TV is good for this year in particular. That's like saying a year is good in games due to the Call of Duty entry of the year. Every year has that!

I will say though, this year's season of My Hero Academia is double the length of last year's season, so that's pretty damn good. Dunno if that figures into TV though considering... I don't even know if it's airing on TV? Might be just Crunchyroll/Funimation/Hulu. Also you probably don't mean Anime.

FoolishChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't realize Fargo was back! Weekend made

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@mozzle said:

Sense8: Season 2

It's the only thing I need this year.

Started watching season 1 earlier this week. This show is fucking awesome. I don't watch a ton of TV shows, so this next statement may not carry a lot of weight, but this show had one of the strongest pilots I've ever seen.

Haven't watched much anime lately, but My Hero Academia is still kicking ass. I think it's already earned it's place as one of the best shounen series of all time (well, the manga has at least).

i totally forgot there was a second season of Eccentric Family. I watched the first episode of that and yup, it's still great.

I'm looking forward to The Defenders. I can only hope that they didn't "Iron Fist" this show and rush it out. Judging by the trailer, it already seems lightyears ahead of Iron Fist and Luke Cage (I actually kinda liked LC though), but I'll reserve judgement until I get to binge watch the whole thing.

Mage_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mage_

Not digging this new season of Fargo. On a positive note, I just finished Justified and it was fantastic.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel the opposite. I haven't seen anything on TV this year that has stood out. I've only been keeping up with the DCW shows but just barely. They've been ok but not as good as past years. Other than that nothing has interested me. Hyped for GoT because last season was incredible but that's about it. Most of my free time has been spent on playing games and rewatching Friday Night Lights

void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Stranger Things is later this year.

Orphan Black is next month!

Other than that most shows I watch have already been listed, or is not until 2018.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was kinda disappointed by the latter half of Legion to be honest. It dragged on too much and had too uninteresting an ending. Fucking great to see Jermain Clement in it though.

For me it's all about American Gods, Twin Peaks, and Game of Thrones. Also, Stranger Things, which I wouldn't have expected wanting to see so badly. I liked the first season just fine, even if the Upside Down was a bit disappointing, but I've found myself wanting to rewatch the whole thing more than a few times since. It's just got such a great feel to it.

Still gotta get caught up on Black Sails S4 and Better Call Saul S2 though. Looking forward to those. I was looking forward to the Defenders, but the trailer has me a little iffy on it. Looks more in line quality-wise with Luke Cage and Iron Fist, and those were really bad, they just felt hokey in a way that DD and JJ never quite did. Kinda wanna keep watching Dear White People and 13 Reasons Why. Also gotta check out Fargo S3, Sense8 S2, Broadchurch S3. Man, there are a ton of TV shows. It's relentless. Didn't even know they were putting out another season of Black Mirror so soon. Great to hear.

Then there's the other catch-up shows I'm less thrilled about. Homeland, Walking Dead. I can't not watch them. I'm too deep in, and they're not bad enough for me to give up.

ToastMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No one is watching "The Leftovers"??

Possibly the best show on TV right now, IMO. Closely followed by Better Call Saul and Fargo.

MrBGone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Greatest year for games, weakest for series so far.

Rick and Morty started off really well though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunkulese said:

It's kind of weird to call it the best year for TV then include 7 shows that haven't aired yet, and you admit that one of the shows you've seen doesn't have good writing. The only thing that's certain about 2017 is Carrie Coon should get the best tv actor ever award.

Because I know most of those shows and generally enjoy them and as far as Prison Break's bad writing it's still better then alot of the other garbage on TV these days.

@themasterds said:
  • I don't really see it. Better Call Saul has been good, but it's not up to where Breaking Bad was back in the day. Also, like, the Marvel stuff has been weak this year actually? What with Iron Fist being complete shit. In one series it kind of put a damper on all the interest there was for The Defenders or whatever. Additionally I don't know that "Oh season 3 of this, season 6 of this" is such a great argument for why TV is good for this year in particular. That's like saying a year is good in games due to the Call of Duty entry of the year. Every year has that!

I will say though, this year's season of My Hero Academia is double the length of last year's season, so that's pretty damn good. Dunno if that figures into TV though considering... I don't even know if it's airing on TV? Might be just Crunchyroll/Funimation/Hulu. Also you probably don't mean Anime.

I see what your saying but Call of Duty has never been good in my opinion. At least with most of the shows I mention I can expect a certain quality.

@mrbgone said:

Greatest year for games, weakest for series so far.

Rick and Morty started off really well though.

I disagree about the greatest year for games but it's subjective. I'm glad your enjoying gaming this year I really hope this Fall is packed with games. I want to play some new games but so far there's nothing for me out there yet.

frostmute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FARGO.

*DROPS MIC*

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing this year has really caught my eye too much besides the new Twin Peaks. Anime has been real good tho if that counts.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My list is Better Call Saul and Attack on Titan season 2 oh and old episodes of Top Chef. I don't watch much.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Don't think there's anything that comes close to Westworld tier coming up this year.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

Better Call Saul has been really good this season, that's for sure.

I feel like this year in television, however, is sort of the year of old TV series returns/reboots. MST3K is back on Netflix and Samurai Jack is back on Adult Swim. Plus while this is a show for kids, they are bringing back Ducktales on one of the Disney Channels.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By militantfreudian

@toastman: I was put off by the initial reviews for the first season of The Leftovers, so I ended up not watching it back in 2014. That said, I binge watched the two seasons last week and thought it was incredible. It can be a bit sappy at times, but it isn't devoid of humor. And I think the occasional self-aware, fourth wall breaking references are well-done.

Very few games have caught my attention so far this year, so I've been watching movies and tv shows more often. In addition to The Leftovers, I've been watching Dear White People. To be honest, I don't get the controversy surrounding the show. If anything, it did nothing but prove the point the show is trying to make. Regardless, it's well-made and it's been entertaining.

I'm looking forward to watching Stranger Things, Game of Thrones and perhaps Twin Peaks later this year; but above all, I'm eager to see The Handmaid's Tale. I only watched the first episode, but it was so good I would be surprised if it didn't end up being one my favorite series.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By xanadu

There's never been a better time to watch TV?

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Shield wasn't released this year, so no.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Shield wasn't released this year, so no.

Well, The Shield is coming out on Blu-ray this year, from an ultra high resolution scan. I've been wanting to watch the show and was waiting for this release.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel: oh please.... please ezekiel, for all things good in the world, watch The Shield and then spread the word. Thanks.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hunkulese

@toastman said:

Possibly the best show on TV right now, IMO. Closely followed by Better Call Saul and Fargo.

The Leftovers is in contention for greatest show ever. Unfortunately, only like three people watch it.

fazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By fazzle

This season of The 100 has been pretty great so far, but there's a total bias for me as it's my favorite show on TV.

OceanEve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has anyone here watched 13 reasons why? I heard it was good, but I have a weak stomach and some of what I've heard may exacerbate that problem. I really want to give it a try though!

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#31 chaser324  Moderator

Look, Black Mirror is very good, but better than The Twilight Zone? I think you're underselling the legacy of just how great and influential The Twilight Zone was.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaser324 said:

Look, Black Mirror is very good, but better than The Twilight Zone? I think you're underselling the legacy of just how great and influential The Twilight Zone was.

I second this notion. Pretty much The Twilight Zone and Star Trek were the American sci-fi-ish TV shows that had a huge impact on an entire generation.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I definitely agree it was influential and amazing television for it's time no question and there probably would be no Black Mirror if it wasn't for the Twilight Zone. But it hasn't aged well I prefer Black Mirror's darker tone more than Twlight zone.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#34 chaser324  Moderator

I haven't seen it, but I do really hope American Gods turns out well. That novel deserves a good TV/movie adaptation, and this project has been kicking around seemingly forever. I just hope that it being buried on Starz doesn't doom it to obscurity.

The Americans and Archer also continue to be very good. The young adult fare on CW like The Flash and Riverdale are also surprisingly good if you're into that sort of teen drama thing.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@void said:

Hello, fellow OB fan! You are a rare find indeed. Orphan Black has gotten me excited about TV in a way I haven't been since the early 00's. Not to say there isn't other great stuff out there, but I'll be very upset when it's gone.

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Look yall, I do not give a fuck about TV, and don't watch many series of anything, but I will admit I have been watching some good TV lately

My roommate has been begging me to watch The Leftovers for two years, and I finally agreed to watch it under the bargain he would watch the original Twin Peaks run before it comes back, something I've been begging him to do for like seven fucking years.

But yeah, The Leftovers is great and more people should watch it.

Hella excited for Twin Peaks revival

Westworld was pretty good as well

Plan to watch American Gods, as I read the book.

But yeah, people are vocalizing now more than ever, WATCH THE LEFTOVERS, it is destined for long term cult classic status

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toastman said:

The Leftovers is in contention for greatest show ever. Unfortunately, only like three people watch it.

Toss in another Leftovers fan here. Brilliant show, shame about the audience, I'm glad it's at least getting this wrap up season, but it could have gotten a few more and I don't think it would have been stretching itself thin. Perfect blend of drama and supernatural mind twistery. When some shows end they leave a hole and I can tell this one is going to leave a massive hole.

Not really watching anything else right now, some Sunday night comedies (Silicone Valley, Veep, etc.) but nothing really as serious/good as The Leftovers.

I thought that The Young Pope mini series was really great, but the way HBO shoved that out the door with it's two episodes a week style, I don't think many people saw it. Like HBO didn't have faith in it. Although I guess that might be a 2016 show technically if you count the first airings over it over in Europe.

void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@void said:

Hello, fellow OB fan! You are a rare find indeed. Orphan Black has gotten me excited about TV in a way I haven't been since the early 00's. Not to say there isn't other great stuff out there, but I'll be very upset when it's gone.

Wait, what? I thought it was more popular for sure. I saw it popping up on Netflix all the time so I gave it a try. Now it's one of my favorite series.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

As a super big Fargo fan, season 3 has been pretty boring so far (haven't watched episode 3 yet). It really feels like it's going through the motions of what we expect out of this series without giving us very strong reasons to care. I was afraid Legion was going to leave Noah Hawley stretched thin for Fargo and it feels like that is the case so far. I mean I'm glad we got Legion--it's the most interesting super hero thing in a long while, but Fargo feels like it suffers because of it.

Better Call Saul is on another level right now. I love it so much, and am dreading whatever breaks up Kim and Jimmy.

I'll check out the Leftovers since some of you guys are so into it.

void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zolroyce said:
@hunkulese said:
@toastman said:

Toss in another Leftovers fan here. Brilliant show, shame about the audience, I'm glad it's at least getting this wrap up season, but it could have gotten a few more and I don't think it would have been stretching itself thin. Perfect blend of drama and supernatural mind twistery. When some shows end they leave a hole and I can tell this one is going to leave a massive hole.

I want to check this out but the religious connotations put me off a bit. Would I like this if I hated the last season of Lost ?

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@mage_ said:

Not digging this new season of Fargo. On a positive note, I just finished Justified and it was fantastic.

Justified is probably my favorite show ever. It's definitely the most entertaining. I've rewatched it so many times. The dialogue in it is almost too good, and I still catch something fun I missed here and there. It doesn't seem to get that much love or recognition, so I'm happy anytime someone gives it a try.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please watch The Americans.

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@notnert427: Add me to the Justified list. Olyphants performance as Raylan Givens is one of the best and probably most underrated lead roles honestly.

Such a great show too, people should seriously watch it.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ATastySlurpee

I'm still really behind on shows from 2016 most notably Westworld)

Want to watch

Legion

American Gods

House of Cards newest season

The Defenders

The Leftovers

new Game of Thrones

new Stranger Things!

Digaumgrunge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Legion was very good, and American Gods has pretty strong start so far.

But what I'm really excited for is Letterkenny - season 3, whenever ir comes.

I just wish you all weren't so fuckin' awkward buds

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

For me Netflix has become almost like my Steam library, just too many good things I become paralyzed. I'm finding myself watching MST3K and old episodes of Cheers.

pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#47  Edited By pants

Most of these prestige shows I fall off of almost immediately, as they come off as content-thin, cliff-hanger heavy, prestige tv shows that have the veneer of quality television, but lacking in actual content. I also love Better Call Saul, even though that show is the most glacial goddamn show on the face of the earth, so eh, I'm really hard to please with TV.

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2017/05/how-tv-became-respectable-without-getting-better

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I was way into Legion, not sure I've seen much else that's new this year. Last Kingdom Season 2? Same as season 1, good, not great. Main character started wearing eyeliner?

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ZolRoyce

@void: I wouldn't worry about any of the religious tones to The Leftovers, nothing feels unnatural, it's not preaching or saying 'this is right, this is wrong' more, if that many people disappeared at once, what would some religious groups think.

I can't really talk to the Lost point though, I was someone who was fine with Lost's ending and like The Leftovers sooooo I'm good with both. This show seems to know what it wants to be more than Lost if that helps at all, feels more planned. Some supernatural stuff straight up happens though. Don't want to say much more due to spoilers, but if you are looking for a fully grounded show, then it's not fully grounded.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guess I should finally check out The Leftovers. Is it a show I should expect to grab me in the first couple episodes or does it take a full season to get going? Just curious.