3 Favorite Games

Warmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 4

Edited By Warmachine

I've been thinking about my favorite games of all time recently and this is what I've come up with:

- Half-Life 2

Half-Life 2 is a game that came out 8 years ago and still feels more mature and progressive than most modern games. The story-telling, pacing, variety and mechanics are leaps and bounds ahead of the majority of products in this medium. The story isn't revolutionary but it doesn't feel dumb in its content or delivery like so many other games. Its presented in the environment and through characters without feeling like exposition dumps between gameplay moments and without taking player control away. The characters and dialogue seem better realized to me than just about any game to come out this year.

- Braid

Braid was one of the first and only games that made me stop and digest the content like a good movie or book. It stuck with me afterward and begged for real analysis. It is one of the deepest experiences I've ever come across, not just in terms of narrative, but every aspect of design. One of the most important aspects of design for me is 'justification.' Is every piece of content included in the game justified in the world you are creating? Braid is a game where every piece of code and asset was put there not just for a reason, but because it was necessary to deliver the concepts the artist wished to communicate.

- Alan Wake

I am currently on my 3rd play-through of this game, which, on its own, is proof that I have a deep affection for it. With the amount of entertainment out there it says something that I take time to replay any experience I've had before. Alan Wake crafts such a deep world with rich fiction and profound sense of place that most games never get close to. Like Half-Life, Alan Wake has superb pacing and variety, never keeping you in the same place or doing the same thing for too long. Like Braid, the game stuck with me after completion. The narrative isn't spoon-fed to you and lends itself to being replayed and analyzed.

Warmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Warmachine

I've been thinking about my favorite games of all time recently and this is what I've come up with:

- Half-Life 2

Half-Life 2 is a game that came out 8 years ago and still feels more mature and progressive than most modern games. The story-telling, pacing, variety and mechanics are leaps and bounds ahead of the majority of products in this medium. The story isn't revolutionary but it doesn't feel dumb in its content or delivery like so many other games. Its presented in the environment and through characters without feeling like exposition dumps between gameplay moments and without taking player control away. The characters and dialogue seem better realized to me than just about any game to come out this year.

- Braid

Braid was one of the first and only games that made me stop and digest the content like a good movie or book. It stuck with me afterward and begged for real analysis. It is one of the deepest experiences I've ever come across, not just in terms of narrative, but every aspect of design. One of the most important aspects of design for me is 'justification.' Is every piece of content included in the game justified in the world you are creating? Braid is a game where every piece of code and asset was put there not just for a reason, but because it was necessary to deliver the concepts the artist wished to communicate.

- Alan Wake

I am currently on my 3rd play-through of this game, which, on its own, is proof that I have a deep affection for it. With the amount of entertainment out there it says something that I take time to replay any experience I've had before. Alan Wake crafts such a deep world with rich fiction and profound sense of place that most games never get close to. Like Half-Life, Alan Wake has superb pacing and variety, never keeping you in the same place or doing the same thing for too long. Like Braid, the game stuck with me after completion. The narrative isn't spoon-fed to you and lends itself to being replayed and analyzed.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By Tireyo

Braid seriously? Great game, but if Braid is in your top three of the best games you ever played... you seriously need to find more games to try out.

Truthfully I couldn't make a top three list, because there are too many great games... in other words, I couldn't decide on what would be better, because there are several to name.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By BrockNRolla

You've picked solid games. I certainly wouldn't be putting these games on any such list, but games strike us all differently.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mikeeegeee

@Tireyo643: Au contraire mon frere, I think Braid is a totally justified choice. Just played through it a second time. Although some puzzles do verge on becoming convoluted, it's never so bad that a thorough understanding of the mechanics at play can't result in triumph. And triumph indeed, as the puzzles are the best I've seen, showing evidence of a real sort of genius unlike any I've encountered in a game. The story telling is unique and sometimes absolutely brilliant (the final level still makes my jaw drop). Apart from that, there's still the art direction and music, which are superb.

That said, I know that the game is not for everyone, but I do think it's worth a second look because of how damn original the mechanics are. Great experience.

Warmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Warmachine

Braid is probably the game that I have thought about on a real intellectual level the most. I actually wrote a paper on it in college. Its a game that at the end you could go "Oh, its a game about a guy who wants to rescue a princess and then it turns out he was the bad guy" but you're only scratching the surface. Its a game that deals with quantum mechanics through the lens of Super Mario which is an achievement in and of itself. And when you consider the real final ending after collecting the secret stars it is apparent that the game was about something so much more than a relationship.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By gamefreak9

Braid I agree... I can't even think of a criticism... too short doesn't do it because the value per minute playing is what I usually count! The others... meh... I mean Half Life 2 's story is barely average, and the shooting feels bland and boring. Sure the gravity stuff is cool and the I like the facial stuff they were doing but that's not nearly enough to justify top 3... not when there's just so many games out there that have less prominent deficiencies. And Alan... I haven't played it so... dno.

My top 3 that made me think(so stuff without booms all over the place) would probably be Braid, Portal... and... O god that's tough... the path?

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By LordXavierBritish

That's cute.

zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By zaglis

Half-Life 2. The best game of all time?

Yep. Can't argue with that, really.

Warmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Warmachine

I probably shouldn't have numbered them as I don't know which is better than the other, but I'd agree that Half-Life 2 probably isn't my favorite game of all time. The story isn't anything revolutionary either, but it is delivered in such a...I don't know, mature way? It doesn't feel dumb in its content or delivery like so many other games. Its presented in the environment and through characters without feeling like exposition dumps between gameplay moments and without taking player control away. The characters and dialogue seem better realized to me than just about any game to come out this year.

*EDIT* And now I'm gonna add some of that to the post. Didn't have much time to write it to begin with since I'm at work :/

Warmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Warmachine

@edsone: I guess the distinction I'm making is between good and great games. Sure, I like games like MechWarrior and Battlefield, but they're popcorn fun. Its kinda like comparing Transformers and 2001: A Space Odyssey. One is fun but one is provocative, it has staying power, it means something.

Sander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Sander

What about Guitar Hero World Tour?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Justin258

I can barely pick ten "top of all time games".

Besides, I don't really think that placing three games on immovable pedestals allows for good criticism of games. Not that everyone needs to do that, mind you, but I like to know why I like certain games and what's so good about them, and why I don't like others.

Warmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Warmachine

@Sander: Its on my "Runners-up" list just above Advent Rising but below Hybrid Haven

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Animasta

top three huh?

1. Nier

2. Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne

3. Alpha Protocol

Warmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Warmachine

@believer258: Oh these definitely aren't immovable. This would have been a very different story 5 years ago.

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Hosstile17

I understand that everyone's lists will vary. I honestly side with you on Half-Life 2. But, Alan Wake and Braid, while great games, I have a hard time buying them as games worthy of that moniker.

tadros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19  Edited By tadros

Fallout 3

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Final Fantasy 9

No particular order.

Warmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Warmachine

@edsone: All very good points. What it comes down to when I think of the 3 best games in my eyes is what sticks with me. Games like Battlefield and VirtuaFighter are fun at the time, sort of an immediate gratification, but I don't think about them anymore than is required to play them. As far as I can tell there is no depth that would make me ponder it after the experience is over. If you want to define 'great' with a kind of 'entertainment barometer' then I'd say the games that affected me even when I wasn't playing them or the ones that stimulated the most of my brain are the truly great ones. Keep in mind, this is all subjective...which is the best way to keep lists like this safe ;)

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Justin258

@Warmachine said:

@believer258: Oh these definitely aren't immovable. This would have been a very different story 5 years ago.

Then it's "my favorite games right now" as opposed to "of all time"

"of all time" is a very strong statement and shouldn't be taken as lightly as it is these days. I can say that Super Metroid is my favorite game of all time because it did leave a mark on me and solidified my interest in gaming, keeping me glued to the hobby and reminding me of how fantastic video games can be - what did these do for you?

(I didn't fully read the OP, so if that question is answered there then please, excuse me)

Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Clinkz

I disagree with all of those but they are quality games. Never understood why everyone praises the half life series so much but that's just my opinion.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By PixelPrinny

I'm not gonna sit here disagreeing with something that is your own personal list of favorites, but I will say welcome to the forums :)

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Ghostiet

I'd call your choices solid, apart from Alan Wake, but I understand you hold a deep affection for it, so yeah.

1. Planescape: Torment

2. Mother 3

3. Fallout 2

Followed with Red Dead Redemption and Nier, respectively.

Warmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Warmachine

@believer258: Good point. Post is renamed in your honor :D

Warmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Warmachine

@Ghostiet: Red Dead Redemption is up there but mostly in retrospect. I've tried to throw it back in and it didn't quite hold my interest but maybe because I wasn't playing as John Marsden anymore. I will say that its one of the few games that felt like it was made for adults without feeling excessive in any respect. The setting and atmosphere is up there with the best and does a lot for how I remember that game.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By napalm

Three? I have a hard enough time working with ten.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Xeiphyer

Dark Souls
Final Fantasy: Tactics
Final Fantasy 7

I'm not sure about the order, and I might swap out FFVII. It sure is hard to think of all the videogames I love.

RockAction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By RockAction

half life 2

assassin's creed 2

metal gear solid 2

GTAIV

can't cut it down to three, but probably get rid of AC2 quickest

i'm sure there's some from previous generations that i'm not thinking of but those are my favourites right now

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31  Edited By crusader8463
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#32  Edited By Tireyo

@mikeeegeee said:

@Tireyo643: Au contraire mon frere, I think Braid is a totally justified choice. Just played through it a second time. Although some puzzles do verge on becoming convoluted, it's never so bad that a thorough understanding of the mechanics at play can't result in triumph. And triumph indeed, as the puzzles are the best I've seen, showing evidence of a real sort of genius unlike any I've encountered in a game. The story telling is unique and sometimes absolutely brilliant (the final level still makes my jaw drop). Apart from that, there's still the art direction and music, which are superb.

That said, I know that the game is not for everyone, but I do think it's worth a second look because of how damn original the mechanics are. Great experience.

Yeah I agree with what you said about the mechanics, the story telling, the final level, the art direction and the music. Thing is though, it was a very short game. Though I remember the game well and had a great experience with it, the shortness was and still is an issue for me. Because of that reason, it's not technically the best game I've ever played; however, it's still a great game.

With that said, he still needs to try out more games. In fact, anyone who is a gamer won't ever play enough games... am I right? Expand that list! =-D

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CaLe

Metal Gear Solid was good wasn't it not.

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By doobie

1:MW2

2:MW

3:MW3

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#35  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I'm like Jeff in that I can never give an answer of what my favorite games of all time are. Sure some come to mind, put I've played so many games that simplifying it done to just a few doesn't do it justice for me.

Warmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Warmachine
@doobie Trolololololol
kurtbro900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By kurtbro900

@CaLe: It wasn't not good.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#38  Edited By BeachThunder

Top three is pretty easy for me - beyond that though, it gets much harder to pick my favourite games. Anyway:

dabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By dabe

@Warmachine: I can get behind HL2 & Braid (although they wouldn't be in my personal top 3 -- MGS2/Noby Noby Boy & possibly Dwarf Fortress/Yakuza/FFVIII/Demon's Souls/Persona 4/killer7/Talmit's Adventure/Streets of Rage or original Half Life).

I think the best thing about Half Life 2 (and all Valve games) is how they deigetically feed the player information/story/themes et al through the game world as opposed to cut scenes or menu/console/codex text. It affords a greater sense of place and immersion when the majority of the game is in your control. Sure, you can "break" the game by jumping around like an idiot while Alex or Eli is talking to you, but this should be allowed & encouraged in games (you're not playing a game until you're doing something outside of simple instruction or objective I'd proffer). Also an important reason for HL2 being so great is its journey & the scope you feel due to the traversal levels. Some criticise the driving & how long in the tooth it gets by the end, but it provides a sense of scale to City 17 and the surrounding area, allowing you to more readily digest the world presented.

Anyways, Braid is great and I look forward immeasurably to The Witness.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By kindgineer

Huh, interesting list. The only game you listed that I could bear to finish was Alan Wake and that's because I just wanted to find out if the girl lives, hehe. Never could see Half-life 2 in the light others do, especially the frenzy that is the waiting for HL-3. I am not saying it's a bad game (that would be foolish and immature) but that it just didn't meet my tastes and I loved FPS's back then. Braid is another one of those click games I think. You really have to want to delve deep into it to be more than just another (well drawn and executed) platforming puzzler. When I bought it when it was part of an indie bundle I was excited to finally try it out only to find that I hated it in regards to it making me feel stupid, lol.

Good list, though. Good to see people appreciating games other than WoW, MW3, BF3, and the other big giants out there. (Just fyi, I play and love all three of those games...)

My list, even though it's not 100% accurate, it's what I came up with while reading your post.

1. Super Mario World. You just cannot beat this game with me. The pure fun the levels bring and the insanity that is trying to find the often-time ludicrously hidden secret doors. I just have had a blast over the past 14 years replaying this title and finding out I forgot a secret level. It's also the only game I have ever felt pride in "100%." I actually called my sister up (we used to play it competitively when we were younger) to boast that I finally found the secret door to the water level beneath the Big-Vanilla bridge :D.
  2. World of Warcraft. There really isn't much to explain here. I met my wife in this game and it truly entered me into the gamer I am today. It had me thinking on a global level on achieving boss-downs with 39 of my fellow guild-mates. It taught me respect in chat, which is extremely rare these day. It also gave me several life-long great friends that I have today and I think that is irreplaceable. Also, the game is just awesome :).
  3. Star Wars Galaxies / Planetside. I know, it's two games, but I played them at the same time and I wanted both on this list. Planetside was my first venture into the MMO(FPS) market. I remember the day I was browsing Best Buy with my Dad looking for a new game to buy when I came across Planetside. I had seen it on X-Play with Adam giving it (I think an 8) and thought to my self "Sweet, this looks awesome." I didn't know anything about a subscription so when I finally had it all loaded up, I had to beg my dad to let me sub. After finally persuading him, this game was what changed my life into a PC gamer above all. I had to replace sound cards...video cards...mother boards, the whole she-bang just to get a better fps than 15. The feeling of adrenaline you get when your Outfit (guild) loads up 2-3 Galaxies (transport shuttles) and drops into an enemy base where it's 250v250v250 was just....phenomenal. The memories I received from that game and the accolades I received from my fellow guild-mates will follow me forever. Star Wars Galaxies - There isn't much to say about this game that wouldn't have me creating an entire blog-post. The game is a milestone for me when it comes to online-interactivity and sheer atmosphere of a game. When a rat just outside your player-made house can kill you even with the top gear, you know you've got a gem. Being a crafter and literally needing to hire a bodyguard to follow you to your farm-systems 20 minutes from civilization. Spending hours on end killing Squill's (a monkey-like monster) and Sand-Raiders just to rank up one more time in my skill tree. Owning a home right outside of Naboo on top the waterfall and being able to create and entire economy right there that would make you rich. Those are just some of the great moments I had in the game. If SWG were still alive today Pre-CU and Pre-NGE (although Post CU wasn't so bad), it most likely would be my #1. It also helps that I was the first Jedi on my server after 358 hours (yeah I counted) of holocron hunting.

EDIT: Sorry from grammer/spelling issues. I'm really tired this morning so I didn't proofread or take a second-read over it to fix anything.

Joey_Connell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Joey_Connell

1.Final Fantasy X 2. Persona 3 FES 3. Yakuza 3