Actor Tom Holland is the new Spider-Man.

• 78 results
I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By I_Stay_Puft
No Caption Provided

Never heard of the kid but Marvel has announced 19 years old British actor Tom Holland will play Peter Parker in the new upcoming Spider-Man reboot. Continuing the trend of the last reboot they have picked a UK actor who fits the age range of a teenage Peter Parker over the mid-to-late 20's, "I have adult problems" Peter Parker currently found in the comics.

I'm actually kinda disappointed there wasn't much of a major push for Miles Morales Spider-Man by Sony execs since he's getting one in the comics, with the character joining the main 616-marvel universe. If you haven't really been following the news lately for the films casting there have been more Sony emails leaked which kinda squashed any notion of Miles Morales being the main character of at least this Spider-Man movie. So far I'm pretty much up for anything at this point with Spider-Man as the past two films were pretty bad snooze fests. Hopefully the latest reboot, minus an origins story film will steer the franchise in the right direction and into the arms of a crossover with the main Marvel universe film franchises.

http://marvel.com/news/movies/24758/sony_pictures_and_marvel_studios_find_their_spider-man_star_and_director

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

God dammit. I read that as Tom Arnold, and I was all fucking pumped and excited. Then I clicked in the topic and saw the pick, re-read the title, and now I'm just depressed.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling: I recently watched True Lies last weekend and you know what, Tom Arnold was alright in that film.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Looks like they're finally breaking the mold. How exciting.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_stay_puft: He is alright in everything he does. But a washed up D list actor in a major film like this would have been glorious!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Another one? Holy shit.

sparkysanxion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

They're rebooting again????

Hollywood is f'cked.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By rachelepithet

Adult spiderman? Both Toby and that Garfield guy looked eternally 15, and both those franchises revolved around Spidey's high school years, right?

Dunno man, hope they don't venture into Jake Lloyd territory with this.

The whole deal is that Marvel is getting Spiderman/Xmen back from Sony... or with share it/it's profits with Sony, so Spiderman can be a part of Avengers, etc.?

@sterling Tom Arnold's Spiderman is off venturing with Nic Cage's Superman.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By notnert427

@i_stay_puft said:

@sterling: I recently watched True Lies last weekend and you know what, Tom Arnold was alright in that film.

True Lies is awesome. I would go see a Tom Arnold Spider-Man movie on opening day. You'd have to pay me to see this second reboot franchise-whoring cash grab.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hollywood is f'cked.

I think it's been widely known since December during the first batch of email leaks that Sony have been contemplating a reboot. Now while it hasn't been officially confirmed as a reboot everyone assumes it is with a new writer, director and actors in tow. It also isn't much of a secret that Sony was super disappointed that the past 2 Spider-man films came nothing close to the Billion that the Avengers and Marvel tie-in movies have been making recently.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_stay_puft said:

True Lies is awesome. I would go see a Tom Arnold Spider-Man movie on opening day. You'd have to pay me to see this second reboot franchise-whoring cash grab.

Right! I'd line up for Tom Arnold as Spider-Man. I couldn't give two shits about this movie. But with him as the lead, I'll be standing in line for the midnight showing.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling said:
@notnert427 said:
@i_stay_puft said:

Right! I'd line up for Tom Arnold as Spider-Man. I couldn't give two shits about this movie. But with him as the lead, I'll be standing in line for the midnight showing.

Count me in.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So are these spidermens getting progressively younger? He'll be spiderbaby soon.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least the guy has some gymnastic skills to at least pull off the Spidey moves.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Hollywood is f'cked.

Sony is fucked, you mean.

The only reason why they keep rebooting and making Spidey movies is to hoard that licence, when you're not using that licence within a couple of years it expires if I recall correctly.

I've also heard Miles Morales is going to be part of the universe in an alternative universe.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d: He's got the body of a spider, and the mind of a baby.

T_wester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravelle said:
@sparkysanxion said:

Hollywood is f'cked.

The only reason why they keep rebooting and making Spidey movies is to hoard that licence, when you're not using that licence within a couple of years it expires if I recall correctly.

I've also heard Miles Morales is going to be part of the universe in an alternative universe.

This is just getting ridiculous, is there a small font in the contract that say the series must be rebooted every half decade or is the license just for the origin story?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By TheHT

Great! Lookin forward to it!

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@ravelle said:
@sparkysanxion said:

Hollywood is f'cked.

Yes, that's true about the licenses. If they don't make a movie in a certain window of time the movie rights revert back to Marvel.

Miles Morales for the past 4 years has been the Spider-Man of the Ultimate Universe. After the current Secret Wars cross-over wraps up Miles Morales of the Ultimate Universe will get transferred over to the main 616 Marvel Universe. This fall he will be headlining the new "Spider-Man" book, while Peter Parker will still be headling the, "Amazing Spider-Man" book. So essentially there will be 2 Spider-Mans roaming around the main universe going forward.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what is spiderman's orgin agian?

good thing this will help remind us

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really don't think I'll be able to sit through yet another teenage Peter Parker movie.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I thought Andrew Garfield did a good job at portraying a young and playful Spiderman. The movies got saddled with some bad writing but the casting was good.

This reboot seems completely unnecessary and is kind of a shitty move in regards to Garfield who honestly did the best he could with the material they gave him.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-man sucks, so I guess I'm okay with this.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they keep going at this rate there will have been more actors portraying Spider-Man in 20 years than James Bond in 60.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By zombie2011

I don't think this is a reboot, I think they are just switching the cast.

No re-telling of the orgin story at least i hope not. Actually i don't really care since i'm not going to see this movie anyways.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

They should really bring this full circle and have Tobey Maguire play Uncle Ben.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Oh hey, maybe they'll finally reveal the long-awaited answer to the mystery of how Peter Parker became Spider-Man!

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@humanity: @zombie2011:At the beginning of the last film Peter Parker graduates high school which sets up Peter Parker college years. There's been a bunch of reports that the 2017 Spider-Man film will again focus on Peter Parker's high school days which is pretty messed up considering the last reboot was suppose to do the same exact thing before they had him graduate.

Andrew Garfield is fine but he's already 31 years old. He's probably reached that point where it's kinda weird he's still portraying a guy 10 years younger than himself. If Garfield was portraying the Peter Parker version in the current comics he'd be perfect but Sony want to keep Pete young.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

I hate his dumb face. No thanks.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

I thought it would of been cool if friend of the site, and another UK actor who was getting some consideration for the role, Asa Butterfield got the part. Brad could of bragged he once played Dota 2 with Spider-Man.

Avatar image for boom_goes_the_dynamite
Boom_goes_the_dynamite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From what I understand about the plot of the movie they are kinda rebooting, kinda not. It is apparently going to be set in the Marvel movie universe but with a younger Peter in high school, like the Ultimate universe Peter. Like that universe I expect there to be a couple movies set with young Peter and then we get a Miles Morales, which I think is the right way of doing it, but then again I get the Parker fatigue. Although, most plot points do say that this will not be an origin movie, so Uncle Ben will already be dead and Parker will have been Spiderman for at least a little while. They are apparently introducing him in Civil War, but that might just be a rumor, whether as Spiderman yet or not, no idea.

As far as the casting is concerned, I don't have a feeling one way or the other. Haven't seen any of his stuff, but I do like that they are actually getting an actor close to the age of the character, instead of 26 year old Toby McGuire. Personally those Amazing Spiderman films and Spiderman 3 kinda killed my enjoyment of Spiderman, but I'm willing to see this one out given Marvel has their hands on it more, instead of Sony calling most of the shots.

pcorb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great. Every morning I wake up and say to myself "You know what there aren't enough of? Spider-Men."

Hopefully this dire shortage will finally be addressed.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With great IP comes great disappointment.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@t_wester said:
@ravelle said:
@sparkysanxion said:

Hollywood is f'cked.

This is just getting ridiculous, is there a small font in the contract that say the series must be rebooted every half decade or is the license just for the origin story?

Not sure about it being reboots but I think it's just that Sony has no clue what to do with the Spider-Man. it's so dumb though, everyone from my grandparents to my big toe knows the origins of Spider-Man, it's no rocket science and there is no need to tell it nor to reboot it because all of the Spider-Man films have been fine, sure there were some weird changes but they could have just gone on with the Amazing Spider-Man and improved upon those movies.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@alexw00d said:

So are these spidermens getting progressively younger? He'll be spiderbaby soon.

They already made that one

No Caption Provided

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I wish they would just stop. Toby will always be Spider-man to me.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@t_wester said:
@ravelle said:
@sparkysanxion said:

Hollywood is f'cked.

I'm sure they would have stuck with what they had if enough people liked it, but no one's going to jump onboard for part 3 of a series they decided to ignore for the first two movies.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am glad they are using a younger actor, its always weird watching a 28 year old pretending to be a 17 year old high schooler. No offense Toby and Andrew.

Hadoken101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At first I thought the title meant the Tom Holland who directed Fright Night and Child's Play and was really confused as to why an incredibly old horror writer/director would be playing Spider Man.

I love Spider-Man, he's one of my favourite heroes, I really dislike the fact that they apparently can only make the exact same Spider-Man movie every 5 years or so. There's probably not a single person on this planet who doesn't know what Spider-Man's origin story is at this point and if they didn't they have like 6 movies to show them already.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

There goes my dream of a black Spidey. I didn't need it to Miles, could've been a black Peter.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Sinusoidal

Fukkit! At this point, I'd be more excited for an adaptation of that absolutely terrible future Spiderman book where he kills Mary Jane with his radioactive sperm. Better yet, get Lynch to direct or something. Anything but another wisecrackin'™ teenaged, "Wah wah uncle ben died and I'm afraid to tell Mary Jane I love her because power and responsibility and shit!" brat. A coming-of-age story only works so many times.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@tothenines said:

I am glad they are using a younger actor, its always weird watching a 28 year old pretending to be a 17 year old high schooler. No offense Toby and Andrew.

Exactly. It always wigs me out seeing 30 year olds playing teenagers.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#43  Edited By ajamafalous

@ravelle said:
@t_wester said:
@ravelle said:
@sparkysanxion said:

Hollywood is f'cked.

Not sure about it being reboots but I think it's just that Sony has no clue what to do with the Spider-Man. it's so dumb though, everyone from my grandparents to my big toe knows the origins of Spider-Man, it's no rocket science and there is no need to tell it nor to reboot it because all of the Spider-Man films have been fine, sure there were some weird changes but they could have just gone on with the Amazing Spider-Man and improved upon those movies.

How does your big toe feel about the casting choice?

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish they would have at least finished the current trilogy first, i don't want a new spiderman yet. I enjoyed the last reboot a lot and was looking forward to seeing what they did with the third one. Honestly the last reboot was too early, i know they want to combine it with the marvel universe and avengers but at this point did they really need to? Shit's getting over saturated and convoluted already.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a55abbb2b8a9
deactivated-5a55abbb2b8a9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly thought Andrew Garfield was a good spiderman. Nobody seemed to like him?

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d: He's got the body of a spider, and the mind of a baby.

what eldritch horror is this

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I loved the comics as a kid but this reboot bullshit is getting absurd. Here's hoping they dive into it with his backstory established so they can try something new. Or at least something we haven't seen a few times in the last decade.

Zlatko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmph. Not feeling his look. I was enjoying the idea that the kid from Ender's Game was going to get it. I'm bummed he didn't.

I'm not familiar with Tom Holland's work so I hope he knocks it out of the park.

Reboot though? ugh. We all know Spidey's story at this point. Let's just skip the Uncle Ben sob story and get into the meat.

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ALavaPenguin

Just knowing him from the picture in that I am really not feeling the look. But seriously another reboot?!?!?

You know, say what you want about the previous two movies, I actually feel the actor they used for peter parker in those last two I actually was really impressed by and I felt he was perfect for the role. The movies themselves I wasn't too into, but not because the actor. I felt he did quite well, just the general other stuff. Garfield himself I really thought was great and his portrayal of spiderman is what made me actually like those movies despite some other issues. Even though he is 30whatever he still looked perfect for the role and the perfect age even now, and he had a very realistic style of acting that made me feel like hey peter parker is just some regular kid that had some crazy stuff happen to him. His acting felt very real and natural in that role. Well I exaggerated I did actually like the first of the two movies a decent amount. But a lot of that was him. The second one was kinda not into.

Seriously though at this point I am done with spiderman. I don't want to hear one more different take on the origin of spiderman. I just want spiderman to go back to marvel so they can make better marvel style movies, and get the men there too so we can just have one big superhero movie with everyone in it. Also let's just give batman to marvel so he can be in it all too. I don't care about superman they can keep him. Superman in theory is a cool character but the way he is always written to get around his powers is boring as heck [Seriously everyone in Metropolis might as well be carrying around kryptonite keychains]

Seriously though unless someone pays for my ticket and drives me to a nice theatre in Kansas City and not the lame one in Lawrence there is no chance I am going to go see ANOTHER spiderman reboot. I won't pay a penny myself.

mattimus_prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By mattimus_prime