Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@spraynardtatum said:

@themanwithnoplan said:

What's most disgusting is watching Fox immediately try and explain how this is a good thing for the republicans, that they're winning this fight by shutting the government down.

You're joking right? They're trying to paint this like a good thing?

Well its their job to keep things "Fair and Balanced" ...right?

If by "fair and balanced" you mean "in favor of the Republican party at all times, no matter what," then sure.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

While the GOP is shitty for doing this anyone thinking the Democrats are all a bunch of knights in shining armor are fooling themselves. There are snakes on both sides.

That being said this really does suck especially for things like the WIC program and mothers that depend on that money to feed their newborn and infants.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

@clonedzero said:

Wait? This is real? I've been out of the loop news-wise for awhile. I heard someone mention the government maybe shutting down but i thought it was like a joke.

The fuck is going on?!

Republicans lost the popular vote in the House, Senate, and Presidential elections, so naturally they presume they can or should force through all of their crazy demands about something that became law three and ahalf years ago.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

@animasta said:

@mlarrabee said:

Most people have no idea how very little this matters.

@animasta said:

So yeah, it's official now, so I figured now would be the best time.

I've been spending today and yesterday watching Cspan and listening to the republicans just makes me want to drink myself in a stupor

so yeap, anyone getting affected?

edit; if you're from an area with a decent, functioning government (literally everyone else) and don't know what the fuck: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24343698#sa-ns_mchannel=rss&ns_source=PublicRSS20-sa

You clearly haven't been paying attention to the entire european continent. Or China. Or Russia. Or any other former or future driving world power.

dude, belgium didn't have a prime minister for a year and they were still more stable than this.

Ehem. Driving world power. No offense to Belgium.

People in the French... house? I don't know what they call it. They start fuckin fist fights sometimes and they're more stable.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Would've been affected, however luckily they voted to exempt military pay from the shutdown... So all good now.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@marokai: Yeah, the best part of all this is the Republicans saying "NO ONE WANTS THIS" when everyone is all "Yeah, we want this."

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Hailinel

@animasta said:

@mlarrabee said:

@animasta said:

@mlarrabee said:

@animasta said:

I've been spending today and yesterday watching Cspan and listening to the republicans just makes me want to drink myself in a stupor

edit; if you're from an area with a decent, functioning government (literally everyone else) and don't know what the fuck: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24343698#sa-ns_mchannel=rss&ns_source=PublicRSS20-sa

You clearly haven't been paying attention to the entire european continent. Or China. Or Russia. Or any other former or future driving world power.

dude, belgium didn't have a prime minister for a year and they were still more stable than this.

People in the French... house? I don't know what they call it. They start fuckin fist fights sometimes and they're more stable.

Didn't the French come close to electing some holocaust-denying lunatic?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@animasta said:

@spraynardtatum said:

@themanwithnoplan said:

What's most disgusting is watching Fox immediately try and explain how this is a good thing for the republicans, that they're winning this fight by shutting the government down.

You're joking right? They're trying to paint this like a good thing?

of course they are! what else would they do?

journalism?

I think there is definitely an argument that could be made that this might work out politically for House Republicans, but then, that also relies on there being a resolution in the next week to avoid too much damage from the government cutback. And depending on whether President Obama and the Senate back down a bit on some provisions of the Affordable Care Act to get it passed, it could be seen as worth the temporary bad press.

Of course, whether or not this is good for America is not really a factor in that consideration. This isn't a good way to resolve a dispute like this, and unfortunately, all sides of this played chicken with stakes that primarily impact anyone but them. Hopefully they come to some kind of deal in the next few days.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Clonedzero

@marokai said:

@clonedzero said:

Wait? This is real? I've been out of the loop news-wise for awhile. I heard someone mention the government maybe shutting down but i thought it was like a joke.

The fuck is going on?!

Republicans lost the popular vote in the House, Senate, and Presidential elections, so naturally they presume they can or should force through all of their crazy demands about something that became law three and ahalf years ago.

Well shit, yeah i was just looking at a few articles. This is god damn disgraceful.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jdh5153 said:

Would've been affected, however luckily they voted to exempt military pay from the shutdown... So all good now.

They did?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@animasta said:

@mlarrabee said:

@animasta said:

@mlarrabee said:

@animasta said:

we came close to electing john mccain and by proxy sarah palin.

tsutohiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There goes my debit card spending limit.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By TruthTellah

@clonedzero said:

The fuck is going on?!

Don't panic. Unless you are a "non-essential" federal employee or you were planning on getting a passport, visit a national park, or receive a gun permit in the next few days, this likely won't affect you. It may sound very scary, but it's not as apocalyptic as it sounds. For most Americans, you will see no difference in your everyday life.

tsutohiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By tsutohiro

@jdh5153 said:

They did?

Can they even do that? I thought government officials and military got paid regardless.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By audiosnow

@animasta: You mean the country whose debt will reach ninety-five percent of its GDP in 2014?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@hailinel said:

@animasta said:

@mlarrabee said:

@animasta said:

@mlarrabee said:

@animasta said:

we came close to electing john mccain and by proxy sarah palin.

We really didn't. Obama cleaned McCain's clock.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By TruthTellah

@the_laughing_man said:

@jdh5153 said:

They did?

They did. They passed a smaller measure which made sure that was not an issue. While they work out a more comprehensive deal, the Congress is trying to pass a few smaller measures to help allay the impact on some areas affected by the temporary government cutback.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By jdh5153

@the_laughing_man said:

@jdh5153 said:

They did?

Can they even do that? I thought government officials and military got paid regardless.

Nope, we would've had to report to work tomorrow and wouldn't have gotten paid until the 1st of November if the shutdown lasted past the 7th when they start processing pay. The civilians won't be showing up to work though, so it will affect how things work, and I'm pretty certain we won't have the money to do our day to day work regardless. So we'll just show up and do nothing.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clonedzero said:

The fuck is going on?!

Don't panic. Unless you are a "non-essential" federal employee or you were planning on getting a passport, visit a national park, or receive a gun permit in the next few days, this likely won't affect you. It may sound very scary, but it's not as apocalyptic as it sounds. For most Americans, you will see no difference in your everyday life.

Not me, but i know several people who work for various "non-essential" government places.

tsutohiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jdh5153 said:

@tsutohiro said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@jdh5153 said:

They did?

Nope, we would've had to report to work tomorrow and wouldn't have gotten paid until the 1st of November if the shutdown lasted past the 7th when they start processing pay. The civilians won't be showing up to work though, so it will affect how things work, and I'm pretty certain we won't have the money to do our day to day work regardless. So we'll just show up and do nothing.

Military pay isn't included in mandatory spending?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Animasta

@hailinel: I assume you mean the 2002 elections? I just checked and that far right party with the presumed holocaust denier (I didn't get far enough into the wiki article but I assume it's correct) got 18% of the votes.

I mean greece elected members of golden dawn but their (and france) systems are set up that they can have 5 parties at once and the genial, moderate parties can coalition and keep the crazies out.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah said:

@clonedzero said:

The fuck is going on?!

Not me, but i know several people who work for various "non-essential" government places.

Yeah, they'll likely be temporarily out of work for a few days as this gets sorted out. Which sucks, but it isn't as catastrophic as everyone shouting about the government "going over the edge". Hopefully it's resolved soon so that it really is just a small embarrassment.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jdh5153 said:

@tsutohiro said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@jdh5153 said:

They did?

Nope.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#124  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Congratulations to all involved...

...for being the most ineffective Congress in the history of the Republic.

EDIT: And, while everyone involved should be ashamed of themselves, I need to say that playing political games with real people's jobs in order to stop a bill you don't like (one that's already been passed, upheld by the Supreme Court and given the approval of the majority via the general elections) while preaching on about all of the "job killers" is quite possibly the most insipid and idiotic part of this whole affair.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@hailinel: I assume you mean the 2002 elections? I just checked and that far right party with the presumed holocaust denier (I didn't get far enough into the wiki article but I assume it's correct) got 18% of the votes.

I mean greece elected members of golden dawn but their (and france) systems are set up that they can have 5 parties at once and the genial, moderate parties can coalition and keep the crazies out.

You do realize that Greece's economic situation makes ours look rather tame by comparison?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Animasta

@hailinel said:

@animasta said:

You do realize that Greece's economic situation makes ours look rather tame by comparison?

I don't know what you're arguing for. Hell, at least they're arresting their crazed asshole party. We can't even coalition with the moderate republicans because OUR crazed asshole (sub)party controls literally every other republican save like 6, all in purple congressional districts.

tsutohiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By tsutohiro

@jdh5153 said:

@tsutohiro said:

@jdh5153 said:

@tsutohiro said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@jdh5153 said:

They did?

Nope.

Just looked this up, and now I'm actually pissed.

No one to stamp checks = no checks. WTF?!?!

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When the goverment comes back someone quote me. Im gonna go play Ascend Hand of Kul

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Hopefully something's done before too much damage happens.

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

It isn't that big of a deal. Its like a teacher strike, all the kids get a few days off and then its back to normal. It isn't just repubs, the dems aren't giving an inch either. We should get rid of all of them and start over with new people.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By bigjeffrey

MURICA

right? right?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@subyman said:

It isn't that big of a deal. Its like a teacher strike, all the kids get a few days off and then its back to normal. It isn't just repubs, the dems aren't giving an inch either. We should get rid of all of them and start over with new people.

the truth is not in the middle bro.

Congress passed the bill, the senate passed the bill, the president signed it, the supreme court deemed it constitutional. The only reason any further opposition is happening is because republicans won control of the house.

The republicans are the clear ones at fault for trying to fight against a bill that is law of the land and constitutional because of terrible, untrue talking points.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By iamjohn
@subyman said:

What is the Senate supposed to do? ACA was passed by majority vote after serious negotiations with the GOP, upheld by the Supreme Court and reaffirmed Obama's reelection and now the House Republicans have let the government be shut down because they refuse to let the program be funded. It's pretty fucking clear that this is one side throwing a temper tantrum - I'm not sure how you expect anyone to realistically negotiate with that.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No big deal.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@hailinel said:

@animasta said:

I don't know what you're arguing for. Hell, at least they're arresting their crazed asshole party. We can't even coalition with the moderate republicans because OUR crazed asshole (sub)party controls literally every other republican save like 6, all in purple congressional districts.

We can't just arrest politicians for being bad at their jobs.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aren't these people supposed to be adults?

Just thinking out loud here.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you were a Commonwealth nation your Governor General would have dissolved your government years ago, such a level of uselessness wouldn't be tolerated at all :P

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@hailinel said:

@animasta said:

@hailinel said:

@animasta said:

God...but wouldn't that be great if we could?!

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@animasta said:

@hailinel said:

@animasta said:

I agree? You were making the argument about France then you mentioned Greece so what exactly is your position?

We're literally the only government that this sort of shit can happen in. Parlimentary style governments, this don't happen because a majority (whether that be one party or a coalition) eventually rules over a minority.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Let this be a lesson to any teens in high school that may be out there. If a party loses an election and doesn't get their way they can take the US economy hostage and attempt to bypass the democratic process by destroying everything else.

I'm really curious what history books say in high school after the Obama election. The Republican party has become so extreme that it would be be a disservice to sugarcoat our current history.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@hailinel said:

@animasta said:

@hailinel said:

@animasta said:

I agree? You were making the argument about France then you mentioned Greece so what exactly is your position?

We're literally the only government that this sort of shit can happen in. Parlimentary style governments, this don't happen because a majority (whether that be one party or a coalition) eventually rules over a minority.

You obviously don't understand the deficiencies of a parliamentary system. The U.S. federal governemnt is certainly flawed, but the grass isn't necessarily greener in other countries.

tsutohiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aren't these people supposed to be adults?

Just thinking out loud here.

Being an adult doesn't imply consent.

...wait.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is minor compared to the next fight on October 17 when the debt ceiling needs to be raised. Screwing up this and creating a shutdown now makes avoiding that harder.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Turambar

This is what happens when you vote into the federal government a bunch of congressmen who's core ideology is "government shouldn't work."

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Animasta

@hailinel: no system's perfect? wow what a fascinating opinion! If you can tell me when any single parlimentary system in the world did this than I'll eat my hat. Again, Belgium was able to survive without a prime minister for a year, and that's with their whole Walloon vs. Flemish debate.

You know what though? Even this system would work if there were actually more than two parties. Tea party wouldn't have a goddamn leg to stand on if they were their own party. I don't know how you could call this a good system when it allows stuff like this.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman: Well, technically: "...Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just Powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government,...." So the real problem is that nowadays we are all huge pussies.

tsutohiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar said:

@themanwithnoplan said:

This is minor compared to the next fight on October 17 when the debt ceiling needs to be raised. Screwing up this and creating a shutdown now makes avoiding that harder.

If it lasts that long, yeah, then things will get REALLY interesting.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@hailinel: no system's perfect? wow what a fascinating opinion! If you can tell me when any single parlimentary system in the world did this than I'll eat my hat. Again, Belgium was able to survive without a prime minister for a year, and that's with their whole Walloon vs. Flemish debate.

You know what though? Even this system would work if there were actually more than two parties. Tea party wouldn't have a goddamn leg to stand on if they were their own party. I don't know how you could call this a good system when it allows stuff like this.

How about you go live in a country with a parliamentary system for a few years, come back, and tell me what you think of it afterward.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@animasta said:

How about you go live in a country with a parliamentary system for a few years, come back, and tell me what you think of it afterward.

America could literally sink the entire worldwide economy because of a single, obstinate senator who has presidential aspirations.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By audiosnow

@animasta said:
@subyman said:

the truth is not in the middle bro.

Congress passed the bill, the senate passed the bill, the president signed it, the supreme court deemed it constitutional. The only reason any further opposition is happening is because republicans won control of the house.

The republicans are the clear ones at fault for trying to fight against a bill that is law of the land and constitutional because of terrible, untrue talking points.

The Senate (Democrat-held) passed it, the President (Democrat) signed it, and the Supreme Court (whose function directly violates the tenets of a democratic republic) deemed it constitutional, and yet the House (Republican-held) opposes it.

The only people who think the truth isn't somewhere in the middle are those who were already firmly planted in their own party's lawn.

This thread was kind of a random, joyful shouting match from its start, but any real discourse has to begin on reasonable ground. I really wouldn't try to launch a serious discussion here, but if you're intent on it, I think it's off to a rather poor start.