An outsiders plan on getting into the industry

coreymw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Edited By coreymw

Depending on how you use it Twitter can be a fantastic tool. Some people use it to talk with friends, others use it for business. I use it to find and communicate with people who share the same interests. Those people might be real life friends, people I've met in multiplayer games, or developers and journalists I found via the service. Over the last three years I've learned a few things about people, specifically those I want to work with or for. I'm going to drop some knowledge so pay attention.

The first thing you need to do, assuming you want to make it in the games industry or become a games journalist, is to figure out who you like. Go through the credits of games you adore. If you liked the art style, find the artists. Find out who wrote some of your favorite reviews or editorials. Once you've got a list of people who's work you enjoy put their name and twitter (name twitter) into a Google search. Start following them.

The second thing you need to do is interact with them. I know people that won't say anything to the those who's work they admire. You can't be afraid to talk to them. Most developers or journalists are more than willing to speak to you, so long as you act normal. If you're interested in AI programming, follow an AI programmer and get his or her opinion on best practices. If you follow Ken Levine, don't ask him every day to give Bioshock Infinite secrets. You'll get blocked or ridiculed and nobody wants that.

If you're a writer you need to share your work on Twitter. I've asked some of my favorite journalists for advice on something I'm writing and they've given it to me. The same goes for anyone getting into development. Share what you are working on, if nothing else Twitter acts as a great mouthpiece. Give and get feedback, share your work. Those two things are important.

The goal is to build a report with those who are already in the industry. Because getting to know people on the inside is never a bad thing. For example, I've spent the last 2 weeks discussing an indie developers game with him. I'll throw out an idea and we talk about it. It's nothing official, but in the future they may ask you to help in a more official capacity. Someone might tell you that the chances are slim, but there won't be a chance unless you put yourself out there. Make your opinion known and contribute. Be it Twitter, Facebook, Google+, developer forums, whatever. To only write or develop mods and put them on your blog isn't enough. You have to get your work out there and Twitter is fast and easy.

There seems to be a common theme among developers and journalists, and that is you have to know someone. The more people you know, the better your chances. Or so it seems. If you reach out to someone and they don't immediately respond do not get discouraged. If they're a developer they could be in crunch trying to ship a game. If it's a journalist they might still be sleeping, you never know. There isn't much else to share. Get out there and mingle. Share your work and have a voice.

coreymw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By coreymw

Depending on how you use it Twitter can be a fantastic tool. Some people use it to talk with friends, others use it for business. I use it to find and communicate with people who share the same interests. Those people might be real life friends, people I've met in multiplayer games, or developers and journalists I found via the service. Over the last three years I've learned a few things about people, specifically those I want to work with or for. I'm going to drop some knowledge so pay attention.

The first thing you need to do, assuming you want to make it in the games industry or become a games journalist, is to figure out who you like. Go through the credits of games you adore. If you liked the art style, find the artists. Find out who wrote some of your favorite reviews or editorials. Once you've got a list of people who's work you enjoy put their name and twitter (name twitter) into a Google search. Start following them.

The second thing you need to do is interact with them. I know people that won't say anything to the those who's work they admire. You can't be afraid to talk to them. Most developers or journalists are more than willing to speak to you, so long as you act normal. If you're interested in AI programming, follow an AI programmer and get his or her opinion on best practices. If you follow Ken Levine, don't ask him every day to give Bioshock Infinite secrets. You'll get blocked or ridiculed and nobody wants that.

If you're a writer you need to share your work on Twitter. I've asked some of my favorite journalists for advice on something I'm writing and they've given it to me. The same goes for anyone getting into development. Share what you are working on, if nothing else Twitter acts as a great mouthpiece. Give and get feedback, share your work. Those two things are important.

The goal is to build a report with those who are already in the industry. Because getting to know people on the inside is never a bad thing. For example, I've spent the last 2 weeks discussing an indie developers game with him. I'll throw out an idea and we talk about it. It's nothing official, but in the future they may ask you to help in a more official capacity. Someone might tell you that the chances are slim, but there won't be a chance unless you put yourself out there. Make your opinion known and contribute. Be it Twitter, Facebook, Google+, developer forums, whatever. To only write or develop mods and put them on your blog isn't enough. You have to get your work out there and Twitter is fast and easy.

There seems to be a common theme among developers and journalists, and that is you have to know someone. The more people you know, the better your chances. Or so it seems. If you reach out to someone and they don't immediately respond do not get discouraged. If they're a developer they could be in crunch trying to ship a game. If it's a journalist they might still be sleeping, you never know. There isn't much else to share. Get out there and mingle. Share your work and have a voice.

McBradders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By McBradders

Nice article. You should check out a talk Cliffy B gave at GDC last year about turning yourself into a brand. I think it's on Gamasutra. It might have found its way to YouTube by now. It's pretty interesting.

roborobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By roborobb

good talk, I'm also a video game journalist. Feel like doing a follow me & follow you exchange? That sounds so wrong, I apologise.

coreymw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By coreymw

@RoboRobb: There isn't a good way to talk about Twitter without sounding like a stalker. But yes, if you provide your Twitter account details I'll follow you. And then you can follow me.

roborobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By roborobb

@Coreymw: sure thing!

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By iam3green

yes, i have heard about putting myself out there. i'm not the kind of person who puts myself out there.

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By xpgamer7

Interesting, but this guide is pretty general and mostly for making acquaintances/connections and understanding how it works. On that now I'm thinking a little about doing my own blog on this...

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@Xpgamer7 said:

Interesting, but this guide is pretty general and mostly for making acquaintances/connections and understanding how it works.

It may seem obvious, but i for one applaud this man for thinking of the socially impaired.

coreymw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By coreymw

@TheDudeOfGaming: I can't tell if you're being snarky. Do you see what the internet has done to me?

This wasn't meant as a template, but more of a how to get started. I know that probably sounds pretentious but I've had success with it.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mirado

@Coreymw: Has it worked for you, i.e, have you picked up an industry job?

Because three years is a long time to spin your wheels.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By bacongames

This is why conventions like GDC and PAX are so important to aspiring people in the industry if they choose to exploit it. For example at PAX I extend my hand and become weekend friends with a variety of developers each year and always make sure to meet up with the GB crew. Doing this each year and putting your name out there can make all the difference if you want to get something started and start collaborating. I'm not going to spill all my secrets about my plans but needless to say that my research as an academic is much easier to solidify if I can say "yeah I totally talked to them at PAX and they said they're interested". Even if means a way in or a starting point then its worth it.

I suppose the lesson here is to supplement an online relationship with an occasional boots on the ground presence, ideally with a lot of face-to-face interactions.

JazzyJeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By JazzyJeff

I love it! Making big goals and being passionate about them. That's what it's all about. You seem like you have a good head on your shoulders, so as long as you put in the hard work, there's no reason why this can't happen.