• 63 results
Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Synthballs

It's currently 10:07am. I'm at TAFE (I think it's like community college? iunno). And dying for a smoke.

My last one was Sunday morning at 3am.

I'm basically going cold turkey, but I don't think it is going well. It's making me fairly emotional and a tiny little tiff with my girlfriend last night ended with me sobbing into her shoulder, all because I couldn't have a smoke.

I've went from like four packs a week to nothing, and it kills. 

I just want to know if any one else has quit smoking and how they went about it or what kind of troubles they had? 

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By CastroCasper

I quit a month ago cold turkey, the hardest times is after a meal, when drinking, and being around people who smoke. The thing that has been helping me is sunflower seeds.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Karmum

Never smoked before. I'm certainly not a fan of smokers, but don't have anything against them, but I also respect anyone that breaks the habit.

Good luck. My own addiction is gum. I can go through a pack of gum in like a day. Addicted to that stuff.

Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Synthballs
@kurtdyoung: Sunflower Seeds? Like, whenever you have a craving...eat one?
uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By uniform

One month.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By kishan6

I just think its best to not smoke often in the beginning 
i might smoke a couple on the weekends and a one or two during the week and not really crave any at all 
and regarding quitting 
i know many people that chew sunflower seeds in order to quit moking

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By Yummylee

Never began. Surprised myself considering that practically everyone in my life smoked through a long period of time..some still do. =/

Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Synthballs
@Abyssfull said:
" Never began. Surprised myself considering that practically everyone in my life smoked through a long period of time..some still do. =/ "
Cliche'd but my advice to anyone is to never start smoking. I thought about it this morning on the way to School and, I'm going to save a buttload of moneys. So, I bought MK Vs DC instead =D
Avatar image for deactivated-633355e1dd700
deactivated-633355e1dd700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I smoked off and on for 15 years or so. Quit cold turkey a couple years ago and haven't slipped since. Get a hobby, or two of em, seriously. Keep your mind occupied and you'll be fine.

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By ISuperGamerI

I've never smoked a cig so I wouldn't know what to tell you but try and resist the urge to smoke man.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By sweep  Moderator

quit for 12 months. Had one today, weirdly, after finisheing my exams. Drunk now. Heeeeeeey :D

Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Synthballs
@Sweep said:
" quit for 12 months. Had one today, weirdly, after finisheing my exams. Drunk now. Heeeeeeey :D "
Hahaha! That is fucking win my man.

@ISuperGamerI said:
" I've never smoked a cig so I wouldn't know what to tell you but try and resist the urge to smoke man. "

I shall try, also, don't start. It really is a filthy habit.

@hematurge said:
" I smoked off and on for 15 years or so. Quit cold turkey a couple years ago and haven't slipped since. Get a hobby, or two of em, seriously. Keep your mind occupied and you'll be fine. "

I know, sitting around on breaks at Tafe is killer, sitting there bored in a foyer, windows all around watching people smoke and having the smell waft in is killer. I tend to carry around a bottle of liquids to drink in those scenarios. Gives my hand and mouth something to do.
lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13  Edited By lazyturtle

I quit years ago, never to relapse. Heres what I did: 
I was trashed. I wanted a smoke. I stuck on in my mouth and was amazed how awful it tasted and wondered why it was on fire.  
Then I realized that I had stuck it in my mouth backwards and was smoking the filter. 
My friends and I laughed about it. 
Then I did it a second time (did I mention I was trashed?) about 20 minutes later.

After that cigarettes always tasted like burning filter. The smell makes me feel a little ill too. It was awful, but I'm glad it happened.

Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Synthballs
@lazyturtle: I'm pretty sure every drunk smoker has smoked the wrong side of a cig. It is the most awful taste in the world.
Dick_Viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dick_Viper

Who needs smoking when you have polka and Battlefield Earth?

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By John1912

The best advice I can give you is to go to the DR and get some chantix. I was about a pack a day smoker for 5 years.  Never got past a few months on quiting.  A few days to a week being more likely for quitting.   I got some chantix and quit after a week and a half.  The cigs started to taste different and I could not get a nicotine buzz.  I also didnt really have withdrawal.  It shuts down the receptors that process nicotine.  Shit is amazing!

sjhujh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sjhujh

I keep slipping, but thats mainly due to poor willpower, I toll my own so its mostly the rolling I miss..  

My friends who have been successful at it have given up cold turkey and like some of the other suggestions found something else to do when craving a fag, try chewing gives you something to do...

Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Synthballs
@John1912 said:
" The best advice I can give you is to go to the DR and get some chantix. I was about a pack a day smoker for 5 years.  Never got past a few months on quiting.  A few days to a week being more likely for quitting.   I got some chantix and quit after a week and a half.  The cigs started to taste different and I could not get a nicotine buzz.  I also didnt really have withdrawal.  It shuts down the receptors that process nicotine.  Shit is amazing! "
Before I look into things like that I'll see how I go with ze Cold Turkey.

@sjhujh said:
" I keep slipping, but thats mainly due to poor willpower, I toll my own so its mostly the rolling I miss..   My friends who have been successful at it have given up cold turkey and like some of the other suggestions found something else to do when craving a fag, try chewing gives you something to do... "

Yeah, Need to pick up some gum. My mouth has felt really weird since I quit, like it's missing something
sjhujh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By sjhujh
@Synthballs: Also one thing you'll see as you get further into giving up is flavours getting a bit more intense...  

After reading this thread I'm thinking I might have another crack at giving up! 

Also easier breathing is another plus point...
Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Synthballs
@sjhujh said:
" @Synthballs: Also one thing you'll see as you get further into giving up is flavours getting a bit more intense...   After reading this thread I'm thinking I might have another crack at giving up!  Also easier breathing is another plus point... "
I've heard about this breathing thing, I remember it being a little bit easier a few years back...
sjhujh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sjhujh
@Synthballs: ha, yeah recently I've had exams so I've gone into overdrive with the smoking and I've noticed I can't  run for as long and walking up the stairs has become bit of  chore...
OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Smokers are jokers!

LiquidS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By LiquidS

After 12 years of smoking I haven't had one in 25 days. I'm using the patch and is working out well. 
My wife and 3 work collegues all quit on the same day so had lots of moral support. 

Reason why I stopped is a financial one, guessing your in Australia so the average price of a pack of smokes is $12, the same as it is in Canada I think? Anyways, worked out that between my wife and I we were spending $16.50 a day on smokes (pack for me and half a pack for her) so have been writing down each evening how much we saved. On May 10th 2011 we will have saved $6,022 and planning to use that money for a Safari trip to Africa. 

I stopped drinking coffee for the first week and have hardly touched booze at all. Don't plan to drink heavily untill I am off the patches in 4 more weeks. Been chewing a lot of gum though. 
It is tough and you may not succeed this time but I feel a lot better, sleep a lot more/deeper and all in all feel better about life. 

Good luck and hope you hang in there.
McSmunions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By McSmunions

i smoked for 4 years and when i quit cold turkey, i used gum to fight the cravings. the worst was going for a drive. i've slipped a little in the past couple of months but i made 5 straight months without cheating so a slip here and there i think is understandable. especially coming from almost a pack a day.

MiamiRedHawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MiamiRedHawks
@Synthballs: I stopped smoking five years ago. I smoked for four years, and used to smoke over a pack a day. I used a tiered system to quit. I took my habit from 25 plus cigs a day to 20, then 15, then 10, then 5. Then one when I woke up, one after lunch, and one before bed.  Finally, it got to the point where I was only having one before bed. After about three months I kicked smokes completely. I had tried to quit cold turkey and couldn't. This way was much easier. It was a gentle phasing out of cigs. I started to adapt new habits and daily routines as I dropped the amount of smokes I was having till I just didn't need them anymore.
marrec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By marrec
@Synthballs: Quit smoking two years ago, used the Patch after unsuccessfully trying to go cold turkey. 

Funnily enough, my fiancée decided to quit smoking 5 days ago and has been doing great on the patch as well... my advice to you? Find something that takes up a lot of your time where you cannot smoke, get the patches, and have ALOT of moral support. 

Also this:   http://blisstree.com/files/2007/06/smoking_timeline_2070x1530.gif
Defias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By Defias

Keep occupied

Avatar image for fakeplastictree
FakePlasticTree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By FakePlasticTree

I've tried quitting a few times, never with any prolonged success. I've decided to try again. Right now I'm only about two days in, but God damn is it hard. All I want is a cigarette. I'm supposed to go to my brother's place this weekend and he is a fan of his beer and his smoking. This is going to be a shitty weekend. 

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CastroCasper
@Synthballs:  Sorry this is way late, but yeah, whenever I really crave one, I just pop a handful of sunflower seeds (shelled). This gives enough time for my mind to start to concentrating on the seeds, rather then the craving. I think a tiny part of smoking is oral fixation, so if you replace that with another habit, it is easier to forget about the craving. I was thinking about getting some nicotine gum or something, but that would probably just make me end up smoking again.
Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By Coombs

Damn man I've quit like four times

For those who actually want to quit THESE work.
The stupid Nicorette inhaler claims to be the closest thing to smoking but that is a lie, These are almost exactly the same.
Except there is no tobacco & there is no smoke.   Just Vapor but it Looks & Feels just like smoke.
The last time I "quit"  I got one of these, had my last smoke while it was charging the first time then didn't pick up a smoke for 4 months,
I was off the Ecig for about a month by the time I started smoking again btw.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RE_Player1

Tried it once and I didn't like it.

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Rockdalf
@kurtdyoung said:
" @Synthballs:  Sorry this is way late, but yeah, whenever I really crave one, I just pop a handful of sunflower seeds (shelled). This gives enough time for my mind to start to concentrating on the seeds, rather then the craving. I think a tiny part of smoking is oral fixation, so if you replace that with another habit, it is easier to forget about the craving. I was thinking about getting some nicotine gum or something, but that would probably just make me end up smoking again. "
I have an idea.
pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By pwnasaurus
@Synthballs: but how can i be cool then?
AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By AlwaysAngry

Masturbate instead.

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ahriman22

I'm going to be quitting in 1-2 years. Why so far away? Well I'm 17 and I've been smoking for 3-4 years and I'm feeling the negative effects now. It isn't much, when I go into coughing fits my throat closes up and I wheeze a lot. I also have massive phlegm sometimes. Honestly I love smoking, I'm going to stop for a while, but I'll start again, probably 7 year afterwords. I love the act, the smoke, it's great in my opinion. Except for the cost and health effects of course.

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By CastroCasper
@Rockdalf:  Get your gutter outta the mind, man.
Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Coombs
@LiquidS: 
I have something for you

It updates automatically
Its set to $8.10 a pack at 30 smokes a day
Hope that's right for where you are

An analog for you non-ecig people is what a traditional tobacco smoke is referred to as in the Ecig community :P
aleryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#38  Edited By aleryn

Don't worry 'bout the sobbing man, that stuff is harsh going off of it, effing murder.  Awesome she was there for you like that, I'd say.

LiquidS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By LiquidS
@Coombs said:
"@LiquidS: 
I have something for you

It updates automatically Its set to $8.10 a pack at 30 smokes a day Hope that's right for where you are  An analog for you non-ecig people is what a traditional tobacco smoke is referred to as in the Ecig community :P "

HA thats awesome thanks!
Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Coombs
@LiquidS: No problem, Seeing the savings helped keep my willpower up the last time I stopped smoking.
Here's what it will look like 1 year from today
hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By hwy_61

I read this and it helped me a great deal when I quit.  Been smoke free for 7 months and not missin it at all!

No Caption Provided
LiquidS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By LiquidS
@Coombs:
I changed it to reflect the wife quitting and prices here also so it should look like this next year: 

Nifty tool indeed, would be cool to have it as a gadget on the desktop but untill I find something like that I'll bookmark the site.
RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#43  Edited By RichardLOlson

I've quite on and off and probably will quite eventually.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Coombs
@RichardLOlson: 
You quite what?
Crono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Crono11

I quit in my last year of high school. There was a competition to see who could quit smoking, since I had been thinking about it I joined up ( they also had pizza for the first meeting, which helped ). The comp went on for about 3 months, I had unbelievably hadn't had a smoke, and they made it infinity easier to stop, the winner won a Wii. Cutting some of the story short but I won the Wii and haven't smoked since. 

It's hard but you can do it. 

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By m1k3

i wasn't really a heavy smoker. during senior year, my really good friend was smoking and i smoked like one a day. after high school was over, i went from one a day to one a week and soon i just stopped. I still do get cravings though. its been about 4 years since i stopped.

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Hot_Karl

I don't and never did smoke, but I found myself involved with painkillers at one point in my life. Although I just went cold turkey (since that works for me in other aspects of my life), I would suggest just having smaller goals and sticking to them. I dunno, like after a week of not smoking, treat yourself to a movie, after a month you can go out to eat somewhere nice. Stuff like that seems to work.  

Then again, I'd probably suggest just listening to the people who were in the exact same boat that you are in.

lolicanseeyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By lolicanseeyou

I quit 8 years ago, i was 10

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#49  Edited By landon
@OllyOxenFree said:
" Smokers are jokers! "
Users are for losers!
falco_eagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By falco_eagle
@Karmum said:
" Never smoked before. I'm certainly not a fan of smokers, but don't have anything against them, but I also respect anyone that breaks the habit.  Good luck. My own addiction is gum. I can go through a pack of gum in like a day. Addicted to that stuff. "
I'm the same way.