Being Hardcore is not so hardcore in real life.

• 109 results
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By Claude

I went to a party last night at my neighbor's house. It was a birthday party and the ages varied, but there were a lot of 22 to 27 year olds at this party. My neighbor’s daughter just turned 21. I'm 45 and play a shit load of video games by the way. I'm rather isolated because of family health issues.

They started playing the Wii and I kicked their ass, but then the girls took over and all the males were tossed aside, most of the guys just said fuck it. One guy said, "I don't do Wii, I have a PS3." 

I started talking about my video gaming habits, bad move; maybe the alcohol was kicking in. I talked about all the video games I had played and got really excited, but the dudes just looked at me like I was some fucked up old weird ass nerd shit head. They wanted to talk about cars, girls and shit. 

I went back to where the Wii was being played, but the girls played with no competition in mind and never asked me to play. I eventually left and went back next door to my house. I played my video games and kicked ass. I suck.  

I learned; I need to get out more, video games aren't first and foremost in young peoples' minds, and I'm an old ass gamer.   

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By HandsomeDead

This is fucking hilarious. Well done, gramps, the aspies are going to love you.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

LOL wow dude... thats all i gotta say... wow

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By Tireyo

Hahaha. Ok. 

I'm always the one that is distant from everyone even though I get out some so don't feel too bad.

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By RandomHero666

I wouldn't worry, if you like games more than cars thats your choice.
People don't realise that without "Geeks" we would still be living in houses made of grass and shite.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Jadeskye

kudos to keeping gaming alive and proving my father wrong about the age of gamers.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By zeforgotten

You honestly care?  
Brag all you want about your damn cars and how fast they might be.  
But untill your car overtakes a race car (F1 car, maybe?) it's still a pretty sad pos 

Come old man, let's go play games together! 

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Snipzor

Who the hell wants to talk about cars and girls and shit? That's no fun.

Bobdaman18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bobdaman18

If i was at that party i would have geeked out with you...but i don't go to parties.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Geno

You say you're a hardcore gamer, but then you say you couldn't relate to the guys who liked PS3, and then you went for the noncompetitive girls playing the Wii instead.  

Der. 

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Osaladin

Those people just weren't for you man. I'm 24, and when I get together with one of my gaming buddies, all we do is talk about games, and we go all philosophy on that shit. On the other hand, when I'm around people who aren't that enthusiastic about gaming as my friend and I are, just switch the subject to something they like talking about. Quite honestly I find it hard to believe that any one in this world can only talk about one thing. Of course I don't go to parties though, so I'm not sure how those people would react to say, a political topic, but it's always fun to see how strangers react to your opinions. 

Hell even talking about games,  doesn't mean you have to talk about games in the sense of what you play and how much you enjoy it. Try to involve hot button issues in game related news.

I'm rambling.

NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NoXious

Who the fuck even cares about cars nowadays! And why would they sit around with other guys TALKING about girls, when there's girls playing the Wii they could talk to/with?

Must be the cultural gap since they are all from the same generation as me :-/

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kmdrkul
@Snipzor said:
" Who the hell wants to talk about shit? That's no fun. "
I can see it being pretty entertaining.
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Fuck the guy who started the conversation.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By eroticfishcake

Pfft! Kids these days!

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By CharleyTony

I love to see guys talk about cars they will never own !! Makes me laugh every time. 
If you were with hardcore gamers, no matter what age they are, they wouldn't write off the Wii just the Wii's stupid party games...
singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By singular

I hate party where there is nothing to do but to talk. All the small-talk topics are just enough for a 45 minute conversation at best. After that there is just the choice between activity and/or drugs. I choose activity.
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Snipzor
@kmdrkul said:
" @Snipzor said:
" Who the hell wants to talk about shit? That's no fun. "
I can see it being pretty entertaining. "
Well if we're talking about shit only, then fine, I can kind of imagine a scenario in which we could have some fun talking about shit.
Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#19  Edited By Symphony

lol no offense, but did you really expect to connect to people 20 years your juniors on any sort of level at a party? I don't think this has so much to do with a gap in interest as a gap in generations. Heck, you said yourself that at least one even plays PS3, so it's not like they're oblivious to gaming.

Though I suppose it would be nice if everyone of an older generation happened to be "the Dude" and could make connections with people of any age or interest group, but such people are very few and far between. 

There's nothing wrong with enjoying the things that interest you and if you're coming to the conclusion that you''re not cool based on the opinions of some random people at a party.. well... maybe you need to get out more. ;)

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Claude
@Geno said:

" You say you're a hardcore gamer, but then you say you couldn't relate to the guys who liked PS3, and then you went for the noncompetitive girls playing the Wii instead.   Der.  "

All he knew was MW2 that's it. I mentioned Drakes Fortune 2 and he was like... Der. Metal Gear Solid 4.. Der.
sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sodiumCyclops
@Claude said:
" @Geno said:

" You say you're a hardcore gamer, but then you say you couldn't relate to the guys who liked PS3, and then you went for the noncompetitive girls playing the Wii instead.   Der.  "

All he knew was MW2 that's it. I mentioned Drakes Fortune 2 and he was like... Der. Metal Gear Solid IV.. Der. "
Wait, when did Drake's Fortune 2 come out? lol not so hardcore after all are we?
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By trophyhunter

why didn't you ask them into your van while you were at it.

Ubiquitous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ubiquitous

Those people obviously just suck. I've been to several places where I talked about videogames and the same thing happened, but you can always just talk about something else if no one is interested. I've also been to a bunch of hipster parties where we'd be hanging out and playing music and everyone is from a band,  but if you find the right hipster dude, he will pull a fucking green ball of materia out of his bag and rant about Final Fantasy for the next hour. Honestly if anyone's view of you is changed for the worse because of you playing videogames, you're at the wrong party.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Claude
@sodiumCyclops said:
" @Claude said:
" @Geno said:

All he knew was MW2 that's it. I mentioned Drakes Fortune 2 and he was like... Der. Metal Gear Solid IV.. Der. "
Wait, when did Drake's Fortune 2 come out? lol not so hardcore after all are we? "
Busted, oh god, I'm not even hardcore.
JazzyJeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JazzyJeff

Hardcore gaming is still a pretty niche thing, in my mind. More people are playing games than ever, but how many of those people actually want to have insightful discussion about it? How many people want to have insightful discussion, period? I don't think it's a generational problem as much as it is a personality-type problem. Maybe you do need to be more social, but I'd try finding like-minded people.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By trophyhunter
@Claude said:
" @Geno said:

All he knew was MW2 that's it. I mentioned Drakes Fortune 2 and he was like... Der. Metal Gear Solid 4.. Der. "
well saying "drakes fortune 2" is like saying "a new hope 2" when referring to empire strikes back.
Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Skytylz

none of my friends play games.  So i make sure not to bring them up unless they do and i don't usually pursue the subject.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By HandsomeDead
@Claude said:
" @sodiumCyclops said:
" @Claude said:
" @Geno said:

Wait, when did Drake's Fortune 2 come out? lol not so hardcore after all are we? "
Busted, oh god, I'm not even hardcore. "
And I bet the girls were like 'Oh, come and play World of Goo and A Boy and His Blob with us. We have no interest in Wii Sports or other minigame collections.'
sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By sodiumCyclops

"I play video games, so all I talk about to people is video games"

These people are the worst.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By GreggD

Claude, let me tell you a story. The other day, I was invited to hang out in my local used game shop after hours. It was just four geeks and two geekettes going on about old-ass consoles and computers, crappy games, excellent games and so on, and so forth. And then we ate pizza. The point I'm trying to make is that as long as you can find someone with similar interests, the rest of the fuckheads who look at you weird when you're talking "hardcore" about this stuff seem to not matter anymore. For a brief few hours, I felt like I belonged. I'm sure you'll find someone eventually who will understand where you're coming from. 

(Also, we're all in our mid-twenties, and even if we were in our thirties, the same conversations would have occurred)

Heartagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By Heartagram
@Claude: I've learned that you have to learn when and where to release your geekdom. A lot of people i know don't play games so i never really bring them up
dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By dbz1995
@Claude said:
" @Geno said:

All he knew was MW2 that's it. I mentioned Drakes Fortune 2 and he was like... Der. Metal Gear Solid 4.. Der. "
You should have just said to him that he was a gaming noob and that noobs like him need to get pwned whilst their mums need a shave. Then walk off. And video it for my pleasure.
 Anyway, dude, don't worry about it. It's good that you still have a great open mind about gaming

.@Claude said:
"

I went to a party last night at my neighbor's house. It was a birthday party and the ages varied, but there were a lot of 22 to 27 year olds at this party. My neighbor’s daughter just turned 21. I'm 45 and play a shit load of video games by the way. I'm rather isolated because of family health issues.

They started playing the Wii and I kicked their ass, but then the girls took over and all the males were tossed aside, most of the guys just said fuck it. One guy said, "I don't do Wii, I have a PS3." 

I started talking about my video gaming habits, bad move; maybe the alcohol was kicking in. I talked about all the video games I had played and got really excited, but the dudes just looked at me like I was some fucked up old weird ass nerd shit head. They wanted to talk about cars, girls and shit. 

I went back to where the Wii was being played, but the girls played with no competition in mind and never asked me to play. I eventually left and went back next door to my house. I played my video games and kicked ass. I suck.  

I learned; I need to get out more, video games aren't first and foremost in young peoples' minds, and I'm an old ass gamer.   

"
Depends how young. And also, there will be a small association of people like you. Come to us.
Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Ryax
@Skytylz: i know what you mean.
singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By singular

People who are fixed on just one field of interest are seldom viewed as sociable. Because mostly they aren't. Sorry Claude.
webby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By webby

Just try not to "geek out" since no one knows what your talking about, it has happened to me once before though. Tried to randomly explain where the name "Noob Saibot" came from. WTF lol. 
Just blame it on the drink :P.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Claude
@HandsomeDead said:
" @Claude said:
" @sodiumCyclops said:
" @Claude said:
" @Geno said:

And I bet the girls were like 'Oh, come and play World of Goo and A Boy and His Blob with us. We have no interest in Wii Sports or other minigame collections.' "
They were playing Wii Sports Resort which I'm very good at, as I told them, over 160 hours played. After a few games, and I'm the only guy playing, they moved on, so did I. The alcohol and food was free, so I'm not complaining on that front. The fact that I was a big nerd came later.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By iam3green

:O i didn't know u were that old. 

i know what u mean kind of pointless to talk about cars that they aren't going to own. my friend always says his going to get this car and that car. he can barely save money for a new car.

LaszloKovacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38  Edited By LaszloKovacs

Don't play/talk about games at parties unless you're with people you know to be similarly nerdy. THIS IS KEY TO SUCCESS.

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Coltonio7

Claude, I love you.

That is all you need.

phragit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By phragit

You always have to choose between being hardcore in real life and being a hardcore gamer...unless you play Borderlands on herion, in which case, kudos, you are hardcore in every way I can think of.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#41  Edited By spankingaddict
@Claude: dont change keep being a hardcore gamer, your my hero :)
sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By sodiumCyclops
@Claude said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" @Claude said:
" @sodiumCyclops said:
" @Claude said:
" @Geno said:

And I bet the girls were like 'Oh, come and play World of Goo and A Boy and His Blob with us. We have no interest in Wii Sports or other minigame collections.' "
They were playing Wii Sports Resort which I'm very good at, as I told them, over 160 hours played. After a few games, and I'm the only guy playing, they moved on, so did I. The alcohol and food was free, so I'm not complaining on that front. The fact that I was a big nerd came later. "
Telling any kind of female that you have logged 160 hours in anything other than something useful, is always a bad thing.

I'm just going to say out loud what I am thinking too, I'm thinking your a virgin?
Avatar image for auspiciousqueue
auspiciousqueue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By auspiciousqueue

As others have said, it is just a matter of your audience. Remember, if it makes you happy, then be proud of it, just know who you are speaking to. The age thing might have been a factor (more so on their maturity level). 

I still think you are awesome. 

Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Alex_Murphy

That's what's so great about the internet. It puts everybody in the world through a sieve and lets groups form based on similar interests with no regard for location. It doesen't mattter what you're into. You could be a gamer, pedophile, furry, gear-head, movie buff, religious person, anything at all and you will find people like you on the net.  But back to your situation, I've been in groups that would start talking about their kids and stuff and I'll just shut the hell up because I'm willfully ignorant about anything to do with kids. Somebody might ask me 'why are you so quiet' and I'll have to think of an answer that's not quite so rude as saying 'I have no interest in participating in a conversation about that topic.' But video games can't be all you're into. You must have other things you could talk about even if you just throw out a random ass phisolopical question like 'If time travel is possible, do think you can change the past Back to the Future style, or could you not change the past because anything you would go back and do has already happened, 12 monkeys style?' Or if you think time travel would come across as too geeky for that crowd, just name two famous actresses and pose the question "who would you rather fuck?" People eat that kind of stuff up.

HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By HypoXenophobia

Take time and meet people with similar interest I'd say. I've always found people at work or even when I went to school who had similar interest in gaming.

izzygraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By izzygraze
@Claude: 
 Yeah...I try to "represent" when I'm at a party and videogames come up but it's such a dividing issue that it's never a good idea to get too into it. Some people will talk it with you but even then you'll notice that, after a while, you're the only two people in the room.
Your age can be a polarizing thing too. The best you can do is be nice and if the person is getting uncomfortable, then make your excuses and move onto the next person.
Partys can be really stressful too if you haven't been socializing much. Just make sure you're always talking to someone or are on your way somewhere. If you're standing alone, or are standing alone beside some people(women playing the wii) then you'll develop a stigma and become "That weird guy who's standing alone not talking to anyone". Making comments every now and then doesn't count.
Try not to beat yourself up too much. That'll only make a bad night worse. Move on and learn from your mistakes. But you're 45, so you probably know that stuff already.
Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@Bobdaman18 said:
" If i was at that party i would have geeked out with you...but i don't go to parties. "
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By crunchUK

Being hardcore IRL is pooing on a prostitutes face while blindfolded and wearing a spiked collar

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By RandomHero666
@crunchUK: Thats just a Saturday night brah :P
vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By vidiot

Gramps....Claude...Older...gamer...dude....guy....
*ahem*

Duder

My 2 cents: It's funny you bring up cars specifically, I'll get into that in just a second, but if your problem is that your 45 and can't relate people who are half your age....ehh... I don't think this is an "issue" that is exclusive to you. 
If the issue, is the classic admission to your hobby to those who are not educated in it, then I can totally relate. Allow me to speak for my early 20's brethren and state that your issue is not exclusive to age. 

An example: I have a good percentage of friends who are into cars, one of my best friends worked at a Lexus dealership, a few friends work at a local Shucks. They are all roughly my age, around 23 respectively. 

I have no fucking clue half of the stuff they talk about when I am with them. 
I consider my combined lack of interest, and lack of knowledge about their interests something incredibly socially healthy. A good reminder of how myself might be perceived to other people who are equally, and understandably, ambivalent when it comes to heightened conversations about gaming with other friends who are gamers. It's the same goddamn thing. You do not "suck" because you are a gamer. The only difference is how one topic is perceived sociably relatable to the members of the party in question, and that's something you have to gauge from a case by case scenario.

But yeah, get out more, but don't think that you have to find a way to specifically relate to other people in conversation. When my friends go on their long-winded "car talks", I usually try and find a conversation topic that I can present that we can all jump into. In other words: I'm never going to be a "car duder", but I sure as hell can find something equally interesting to talk about. 

Although reading some of the specifics of the guys you were talking too, they kinda seem like douches.