#1  Edited By MysteriousBob
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By MysteriousBob

I've always "had an interest in animation" which is just another way of saying "I'm a 21 year old who likes watching cartoons". Just curious what your favourite Disney film of late 80s/90s is whether its based on nostalgia, humour or just overall quality.

For those who don't know why this list only has these Disney films and doesn't include other good Disney movies then you should probably read this  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney_Renaissance 

The only ones I haven't seen are The Little Mermaid and Pocahontas. I voted for The Lion King. I think it has a somewhat slow middle but that may just be the result of having a particularly strong opening and ending. Even if it isn't the funniest, there's no denying that it leaves the biggest impression... at least that is the case for me personally.

Crono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Crono11

It's surprising to me how many of those movies I liked. It was a lot harder to choose one but I picked the Lion King. Mostly because they call me Mr. Pig.

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

The King of Lions. It was tough choosing between that and Aladdin. But hell, they are all great movies.

Eder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#5  Edited By Eder

Beauty and the beast for me. Saw the broadway musical, that was cool. Seriously you can pick any one and I would be ok with it. Except maybe Notre Dame

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Pazy

Almost all of these films I absolutely adore and though I can see some of the others are better I had to choose Mulan since as a kid I listened to one of the songs over and over again for months.

Avatar image for peepeepoopoo696
peepeepoopoo696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By peepeepoopoo696

Muppet Treasure Island, but if I have to pick one on the list then Pocahontas.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MysteriousBob
@Eder:  
Notre Dame could have been the best if it maintained its mature tone. I mean it dealt with some pretty powerful themes. The problem was mixing that with typical kids slapstick humour (the goat) and talking anthropomorphic gargoyles that make good merchandise. The mature/funny switches were completely jarring and the film ended up being a big mess. I remember a trailer for it on my Toy Story video tape and the it gave no indication to the seriousness of the plot at all instead focusing on an old man falling down a man hole.
delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By delta_ass

The Land Before Time.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MysteriousBob
@Atomasist said:
" Muppet Treasure Island, but if I have to pick one on the list then Pocahontas. "
... Muppet Treasure Island wasn't even animated.
mrjared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mrjared

Ah, I love this discussion. My girlfriend and I have been talking about the Disney Renaissance a lot recently, mainly because there seems to be some related Disney film on TV whenever we turn it on.

I voted for The Little Mermaid, even though it slightly pains me to do so, mainly because I don't like being "that guy" who picks the original. It's like when you talk about your favorite band and you like their first album so you come off as an elitist. It's really between The Little Mermaid and Beauty & The Beast for me as they're really the most timeless of the collection, but I give Mermaid the edge for it having so many awesome songs. 

I love both Aladdin and The Lion King, but they haven't stood the test of time nearly as well. Robin Williams best work may as well BE Aladdin, but when you combine him with the script they gave him, its hard not to roll your eyes at all the corny jokes. Arsenio Hall references may have been hip and edgy back in 1992, but now it's just bizarre and really dates the film. Still, that doesn't stop me from picking "Price Ali" every time I go out for karaoke. 

When it comes to The Lion King I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was that bothered me about it until my girlfriend reminded me: Timon and Pumba. Fine in the film, but again, they date the film with that awful weekday afternoon cartoon series. It just diluted any charm those characters once had. To be fair, that really shouldn't have any affect on things, but it's really hard to separate the the characters between the film and the cartoon. Also, aside from "Be Prepared" I wasn't a fan of the musical numbers. Great original score, but not so much for the musicals.

Mulan is also another favorite of mine, not only for it being something completely different from Disney, but for its unflinching look at life and death in a way that, while other Disney cartoons may have touched upon (Bambie, Lion King), Mulan makes it a central focus. The transition from "A Girl Worth Fighting For" to the reality of their situation is so provocative that it gives me chills to this day.

Of the whole period, the only movie I can honestly say I don't enjoy is The Hunchback of Norte Dame (though I love the designs and look), with Pocahontas and Tarzan being the other two that I don't care for all that much, but will still watch. Lastly, Hercules I like just fine :)

We can't have a Disney thread without songs! Here are some of my picks from the era in no particular order.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By time allen

definitely hunchback for me.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By dbz1995

Imma say Mulan, because my teacher made me grow to love that film.

Also, @MrJared: YOU FORGOT THE BEST ONE! ASSHOLE!

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By ArchScabby

I like Aladdin.

Avatar image for peepeepoopoo696
peepeepoopoo696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By peepeepoopoo696
@MysteriousBob said:
" @Atomasist said:
" Muppet Treasure Island, but if I have to pick one on the list then Pocahontas. "
... Muppet Treasure Island wasn't even animated. "
Muppet Treasure Island came out during the Disney Renaissance. I know that it's not animated and is not one the Renaissance films that's why I said Pocahontas.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By LiquidPrince

Tie between Lion King and Hercules for me.

cjmhockey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By cjmhockey

Enjoyed most of them when I was younger but it has got to be Lion King.

"Hakuna Matata"

WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By WitchHunter_Z
@MrJared said:

" Also, aside from "Be Prepared" I wasn't a fan of the musical numbers. Great original score, but not so much for the musicals."

"Be Prepared" may be the best in the film, but "Circle of Life" is excellent as well!

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#19  Edited By vager

My best friend memorized the entire script of the Aladdin movie. 
Like he can tell you the entire movie word for word including singing the songs. 

I sat there listening to him do it once.
It's fucking scary.
SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SteamPunkJin

Dude where the fuck is Robin Hood?! This list is an outrage!
Oooo-da-laddy-awly-golly-what-a-day.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@arab_prince said:
" The King of Lions. It was tough choosing between that and Aladdin. But hell, they are all great movies. "
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#22  Edited By Video_Game_King

Aladdin, even though the game wasn't sexy enough. Here's my contribution:

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hunkulese
@SteamPunkJin said:
" Dude where the fuck is Robin Hood?! This list is an outrage!Oooo-da-laddy-awly-golly-what-a-day. "
Reading comprehension ftw.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ryanwho

A Goofy Movie. I identify with Goofy's teenage son. Also, you left off Emporer's New Groove and Lilo and Stitch, whichwere serious fucking high points for Disney.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hunkulese
@MysteriousBob:  You really need to check out The Little Mermaid. Not the best (I picked Aladdin) but it's still a great Disney movie and "Under The Sea" and "Kiss The Girl" are two of Disney's best musical numbers.
SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SteamPunkJin
@Hunkulese said:

" @SteamPunkJin said:

" Dude where the fuck is Robin Hood?! This list is an outrage!Oooo-da-laddy-awly-golly-what-a-day. "
Reading comprehension ftw. "
Oh I read the bit about Wiki, and read the Wiki list - that's the list I have a problem with. As far as I can see, aside from the time limits imposed it would meet the qualifications - musical: check. Based on a 'Fairy Tale' (if Tarzan counts this does too): Check. It's also loads better than just about anything else they've ever done.
Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hunkulese
@SteamPunkJin said:

" @Hunkulese said:

" @SteamPunkJin said:

Oh I read the bit about Wiki, and read the Wiki list - that's the list I have a problem with. As far as I can see, aside from the time limits imposed it would meet the qualifications - musical: check. Based on a 'Fairy Tale' (if Tarzan counts this does too): Check. It's also loads better than just about anything else they've ever done. "
Let me highlight some key points

Best Film of the Disney Renaissance

The Renaissance era 1987-2000

Robin Hood 1973

If the title was Best Disney Film ever then you can bring up Robin Hood
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By Milkman
@MrJared said:

"
Godamn, you're awesome for posting that. One of my favorite Disney songs.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ryanwho
@Hunkulese said:
" @SteamPunkJin said:

" @Hunkulese said:

" @SteamPunkJin said:

Oh I read the bit about Wiki, and read the Wiki list - that's the list I have a problem with. As far as I can see, aside from the time limits imposed it would meet the qualifications - musical: check. Based on a 'Fairy Tale' (if Tarzan counts this does too): Check. It's also loads better than just about anything else they've ever done. "

Best Film of the Disney Renaissance  The Renaissance era 1987-2000  Robin Hood 1973  If the title was Best Disney Film ever then you can bring up Robin Hood "
Wiki says it was 1989-1999. If it started in 87,Who Framed Roger Rabbit would be in there. Also, Rescuers Down Under falls into the timeframe but doesn't count? This shit is so arbitrary. 
mrjared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mrjared
@ryanwho: "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" is what brought Disney back from the brink. Leading up to its release, Disney was considering shuttering their animation studios due to a series a flops and stiff competition from Don Bluth's splinter studio. The movie essentially saved Disney Animation and from there, the "Disney Renaissance" began.

No one counts "The Rescuers: Down Under" for a number of reasons ... but mainly because it sucks really bad :) 

Actually, here, watch the trailer for the upcoming "Waking Sleeping Beauty." I should explain a few things.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MysteriousBob
@ryanwho said:
" @Hunkulese said:
" @SteamPunkJin said:

" @Hunkulese said:

" @SteamPunkJin said:

Best Film of the Disney Renaissance  The Renaissance era 1987-2000  Robin Hood 1973  If the title was Best Disney Film ever then you can bring up Robin Hood "
Wiki says it was 1989-1999. If it started in 87,Who Framed Roger Rabbit would be in there. Also, Rescuers Down Under falls into the timeframe but doesn't count? This shit is so arbitrary.  "
l@ryanwho said:
" A Goofy Movie. I identify with Goofy's teenage son. Also, you left off Emporer's New Groove and Lilo and Stitch, whichwere serious fucking high points for Disney. "
You're both referencing side projects. Hell, Roger Rabbit was mostly Live Action. Not to mention it was distributed by Touchstone and not Disney themselves. The films in this list were all by Disney's main animation studio and were all marketed as the primary releases for their respective years. The Goofy Movie was by DisneyToon studios, not Walt Disney Animation Studios. Lilo and Stitch wasn't released until 2002, well after the animation renaissance was over. The era was marked by significant box office success and Goofy and Stitch simply don't measure up, regardless of how much we enjoyed them. If you want to talk about those, make another poll for it.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ryanwho

Dude I'm not shitting on your thread, I'm just saying the parameters Disney put up for what counts and what doesn't are super arbitrary. Like, Hunchback didn't do great financially but still counts, New Groove was rated better and did about as good and didn't count. I used to be under the impression basically Dark Cauldron was Disney finding out what they didn't want to do anymore, then stuff happened then Little Mermaid and things were great  then they started taking out proper musical numbers(aroudn Tarzan) and Pixar showed up (and also, the people who loved Disney when they were 6 are now in highschool or beyond) and they shut it all down.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Beauty and the Beast.

@Vager said:

" My best friend memorized the entire script of the Aladdin movie. Like he can tell you the entire movie word for word including singing the songs.  I sat there listening to him do it once.It's fucking scary. "

Does he memorise the part where Aladdin says "Good Teenagers Take off your clothes?"
mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#34  Edited By mracoon

Lion King for me but I like all of those films.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#35  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@MysteriousBob: where the fuck is my Toy Story, fuckface? WHERES MY TOY STORY FIX 

Lion King hands down
sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#36  Edited By sjschmidt93

The Lion King. And there's been one of these threads long ago with far more choices.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By ImperiousRix

Was tough for me to decide between Lion King, Aladdin, and Beauty and the Beast. 
However, had to go with Aladdin.  Robin Williams as the Genie is just too much, and I consider Jafar my favorite Disney villain of all time.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MysteriousBob
@Ahmad_Metallic said:

" @MysteriousBob: where the fuck is my Toy Story, fuckface? WHERES MY TOY STORY FIX "

Toy Story is Pixar. Everyone knows that. 

@SJSchmidt93 said:

" The Lion King. And there's been one of these threads long ago. "

Didn't come up in the search, so don't blame me.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@MysteriousBob: riiiiiiiiiiight.. excuse mua.  oh and you're looking awfully nice tonight :) 
Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By Synthballs

So isn't enough Aladdin Love up in this bitch. 
@Vager said:

" My best friend memorized the entire script of the Aladdin movie. Like he can tell you the entire movie word for word including singing the songs.  I sat there listening to him do it once.It's fucking scary. "
I think i could do that...
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MysteriousBob

I actually wish I voted for Hercules now. It was on a grand scale, I loved the interpretation of Greek mythology and it had great characters.

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#42  Edited By clubsandwich

The Lion King :3

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#43  Edited By AndrewB

The Lion King, hands down.

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Brunchies

The lion king, the beginning holds a special place in my heart. 

TepidShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#45  Edited By TepidShark

May just be me, but I consider Fantasia 2000 part of (and the end of) the renaissance. So, I would have voted for that. But I chose Mulan out of your choices.

dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 13

#46  Edited By dietmango

It's definitely hard to choose, since most of them I really loved when I was a kid. Looking back, surprisingly, I still do appreciate and proud that these movies were a part of my childhood.

Among the choices, Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, Mulan, Beauty and the Beast, and Pocahontas are among my favorite. I voted for the Lion King, mainly because it was the very first Disney film (and also among these Disney Renaissance films) that I saw.  The story was well written, memorable characters (Timon and Pumbaa), and the music was just uplifting to listen to. And of course, Hakuna Matata.

While I like Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules (James Woods was beast in that movie), and Tarzan, they weren't exactly the more memorable ones out of these. It ultimately depends  on your tastes anyway I think.

TrakMastaTom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#47  Edited By TrakMastaTom

Little Mermaid, fool!