Best of Anime, 2010 Part I: Special Awards

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

Edited By spazmaster666

So since exams are over and I have nothing better to do before I head off on holiday, I thought I might as well hold my very own Best of Anime, 2010 awards. This will be a two-part blog post, with special awards (this post) followed by the genre and overall awards (the next post). To clarify which anime are covered here, any series that ended its run in 2010 and have also aired the majority or (in the case of FMA: Brotherhood) a significant chunk of it's episodes in 2010 are eligible. Series that started in 2010 but have not concluded are not eligible for the awards that require an evaluation of the entire series (i.e. genre awards), but are eligible for some special awards. Of course, any series that I have not watched obviously will not be included (:P) Also, OVAs and movies are also generally not eligible (except in a few instances) to keep things simpler. So without further adieu, let's get started. 

Special Awards 

Best Animation

Winner: K-ON!! 

K-ON!!
 K-ON!!

Runners up: Angel Beats, FMA: Brotherhood, Star Driver 

Best Music

Winner: Durarara!! 

Durararararararara!!
   Durararararararara!!

Runners upAngel Beats, Nodame Cantabile Finale, FMA: Brotherhood 

Best Story  

Winner:  Durarara!! 

Durararararararara!!
 Durararararararara!!

Runners up: Occult Academy, Giant Killing, FMA: Brotherhood

Best Female Character

Winner: Ika Musume (Shinryaku! Ika Musume) 

The squid girl...
The squid girl...

Runners up: Hotori Arashiyama (Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru), Sohara Mitsuki (Sora no Otoshimono Forte), Misaki Ayuzawa (Kaichou wa Maid-sama!)

Best Male Character  

Winner: Shizuo Heiwajima (Durarara!!) 

A peaceful man?
 A peaceful man?

Runners up: Kohta Hirano (HOTD),  Keima Katsuragi (TWGOK), Izaya Orihara (Durarara!!)

Best OP  

Winner: Durarara! ("Uragiri no Yuuyake" by Theatre Brook) 

"Uragiri no Yuuyake"

Full Version: 

TV Version: 

Runners up: HOTD ("HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD", by Kisida Kyodan & The Akebosi Rockets), TWGOK ("God Only Knows", by Oratorio The World God Only Knows), Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou ("REALOVE:REALIFE", by Sphere)

Best ED  

Winner: FMA: Brotherhood ("Let it Out" by Miho Fukuhara) 

"Let it Out" 

Full Version:  

TV Version:

Runners up: K-ON!! ("Listen", by HST), Durarara!! ("Trust Me", by Yuuya Matsushida), Nodame Cantabile Finale ("Kaze to Oka no Ballad" by Real Paradis with Nodame Orchestra)

Best Studio

Winner: Kyoto Animation (The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, K-ON!!) 

KyoAni
 KyoAni

Runners up: SHAFT (Arakawa Under the Bridge, Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru), Madhouse (Trigun: Badlands Rumble, Black Lagoon: Roberta’s Blood Trail), BONES (FMA Brotherhood, Star Driver), Brain's Base (Durarara!!, Kuragehime)

Most Surprisingly Good Anime:

Winner: B Gata H Kei 

B Gata H Kei
 B Gata H Kei

Runners up: Giant Killing, Seitokai Yakuindomo, Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou

Most Disappointing Anime:

Winner?: Eden of the East Paradise Lost 

Paradise Lost
 Paradise Lost

Runners up: Senkou no Night-Raid, Angel Beats, Heroman 

I don't feel like writing a description for the winners since, well nobody will read it anyway and besides, it's too early in the morning and I'm too tired to bother with it. Anyway, Part 2 is coming in the next couple of days while I refresh my memory some more and collect some "data." I need more coffee...
spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By spazmaster666

So since exams are over and I have nothing better to do before I head off on holiday, I thought I might as well hold my very own Best of Anime, 2010 awards. This will be a two-part blog post, with special awards (this post) followed by the genre and overall awards (the next post). To clarify which anime are covered here, any series that ended its run in 2010 and have also aired the majority or (in the case of FMA: Brotherhood) a significant chunk of it's episodes in 2010 are eligible. Series that started in 2010 but have not concluded are not eligible for the awards that require an evaluation of the entire series (i.e. genre awards), but are eligible for some special awards. Of course, any series that I have not watched obviously will not be included (:P) Also, OVAs and movies are also generally not eligible (except in a few instances) to keep things simpler. So without further adieu, let's get started. 

Special Awards 

Best Animation

Winner: K-ON!! 

K-ON!!
 K-ON!!

Runners up: Angel Beats, FMA: Brotherhood, Star Driver 

Best Music

Winner: Durarara!! 

Durararararararara!!
   Durararararararara!!

Runners upAngel Beats, Nodame Cantabile Finale, FMA: Brotherhood 

Best Story  

Winner:  Durarara!! 

Durararararararara!!
 Durararararararara!!

Runners up: Occult Academy, Giant Killing, FMA: Brotherhood

Best Female Character

Winner: Ika Musume (Shinryaku! Ika Musume) 

The squid girl...
The squid girl...

Runners up: Hotori Arashiyama (Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru), Sohara Mitsuki (Sora no Otoshimono Forte), Misaki Ayuzawa (Kaichou wa Maid-sama!)

Best Male Character  

Winner: Shizuo Heiwajima (Durarara!!) 

A peaceful man?
 A peaceful man?

Runners up: Kohta Hirano (HOTD),  Keima Katsuragi (TWGOK), Izaya Orihara (Durarara!!)

Best OP  

Winner: Durarara! ("Uragiri no Yuuyake" by Theatre Brook) 

"Uragiri no Yuuyake"

Full Version: 

TV Version: 

Runners up: HOTD ("HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD", by Kisida Kyodan & The Akebosi Rockets), TWGOK ("God Only Knows", by Oratorio The World God Only Knows), Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou ("REALOVE:REALIFE", by Sphere)

Best ED  

Winner: FMA: Brotherhood ("Let it Out" by Miho Fukuhara) 

"Let it Out" 

Full Version:  

TV Version:

Runners up: K-ON!! ("Listen", by HST), Durarara!! ("Trust Me", by Yuuya Matsushida), Nodame Cantabile Finale ("Kaze to Oka no Ballad" by Real Paradis with Nodame Orchestra)

Best Studio

Winner: Kyoto Animation (The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, K-ON!!) 

KyoAni
 KyoAni

Runners up: SHAFT (Arakawa Under the Bridge, Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru), Madhouse (Trigun: Badlands Rumble, Black Lagoon: Roberta’s Blood Trail), BONES (FMA Brotherhood, Star Driver), Brain's Base (Durarara!!, Kuragehime)

Most Surprisingly Good Anime:

Winner: B Gata H Kei 

B Gata H Kei
 B Gata H Kei

Runners up: Giant Killing, Seitokai Yakuindomo, Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou

Most Disappointing Anime:

Winner?: Eden of the East Paradise Lost 

Paradise Lost
 Paradise Lost

Runners up: Senkou no Night-Raid, Angel Beats, Heroman 

I don't feel like writing a description for the winners since, well nobody will read it anyway and besides, it's too early in the morning and I'm too tired to bother with it. Anyway, Part 2 is coming in the next couple of days while I refresh my memory some more and collect some "data." I need more coffee...
Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Aegon

I would give best Music and Story to FMA. But I didn't really watch any of the other animes other than DRRR.

NubMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By NubMonk

Too much DRRR. Show was good for the first half but got dumb imo.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By hockeymask27

Winner in all Categories: Dragonball Z(kai) 
 Also maybe put a thread up on AnimeVice.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By penguindust

I'm always behind when it comes to this stuff.  The list of stuff I haven't seen for this years releases is excessive.  So just going off what I have seen that might apply I'd list  my favorites as

1. So Ra No Wo To
  2. Omamori Himari
  3. Baka to Test  to Shoukanjuu
  4. Occult Academy
  5. Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
Of course that doesn't include the regulars like One Piece or the longer running FMA: Brotherhood.  Like I said, there is a lot I haven't seen yet but I'll get around to it eventually.  
Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6  Edited By Castiel
RLLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RLLink

>K-On!!
*cough*

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By shirogane

How is K-On not even a runner up for best music? 

While i'm on the topic of K-On music, i didn't actually like that ED, i thought No, Thank You! was much better. 

No Shiki, Ore no Imouto and a few others? Sure, they havn't ended yet, but they're ending in the next few weeks.
spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By spazmaster666
@Shirogane said:

" How is K-On not even a runner up for best music?  While i'm on the topic of K-On music, i didn't actually like that ED, i thought No, Thank You! was much better.  No Shiki, Ore no Imouto and a few others? Sure, they havn't ended yet, but they're ending in the next few weeks. "

The first season had much better music IMO. And besides, the focus wasn't really on music in the second season anyway. Also what category are you referring to when you mentioned Shiki or Oreimo?
Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Fallen189

K-On  

No Caption Provided
BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Holy shit this list is far from anything I would've come up with. But to each his own.