• 90 results
habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By habster3

Ahhh music, who doesn't love it? If you're having a shitty day, it often helps make things better; if everything's going perfectly, it complements the mood; etc. Still, music often leads to occasional (often extreme) disappointments. Therefore, Giant Bomb community, what are some of your biggest music-related disappointments of 2012?

For me, I'd have to say my biggest disappointment this year was The Offspring's new material. You see, The Offspring's Ignition/Smash era has always been a guilty pleasure of mine. Well, guilty pleasure implies that I only kinda like it; as a fan of that late-80s/early-90s skate punk sound, I loved their early works, both musically and lyrically. Even after they sold out and coincidentally (or consequently; you could look at it either way) went downhill musically, I held out for them and kept hoping they'd return to form properly (because some bands have that happen). So, after seeing Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace as a low point in their career, I was hoping their new album would be better. It hasn't come out yet, but notice my "was"; although I had hope for them at first, they released "Cruisin' California (Bumpin' in my Trunk)", which not only shattered my already shallow hopes but also made me cry a little.

The clip's here, but I must warn you: It is TERRIBAD.

My other big musically-related disappointment has been The Black Sabbath/Bill Ward dispute; as a longtime Sabbath fan, it's incredibly sad to see this saga of legal disputes and the like

Hyperglide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Hyperglide

Big K.R.I.T.S new album Live from the Underground. I thought I'd love it but it's just boring. Sounds like any other generic Southern radio shit rap music. I was expecting more from K.R.I.T. But then again Southern Rap is probably my least fave of all regions. And I like K.R.I.T. on crossovers. He killed his verse on The Roots song 'Make My' on their album release 'Undun' last year.

Meh...

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By habster3

@Hyperglide: Man, it's brutal to watch bands fall into the sound of the mainstream equivalent of their genres, isn't it? Like, that happened for me with Weezer; I loved their first four albums (yeah, I know), but everything after that is a cause for lamentation

Hyperglide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Hyperglide

@habster3: I really wouldn't say K.R.I.T. went mainstream. In fact a lot of critics are praising it and it's still considered underground. I was just expecting more and it left me feeling unsatisfied.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By habster3

@Hyperglide: Ahh, I see. Well, that happens too, unfortunately. Hopefully, the next album will be better, right?

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By jonnyboy

Kanye's still breathing.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CaptainCody

@habster3: Their's no way The Offspring aren't trolling.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By habster3

@CaptainCody: They did say that it was a joke song--more specifically, a Katie Perry parody--but even then it's terrible. Like, I found Pretty Fly, Why Don't You Get a Job?, and even When You're in Prison humorous, and I'd understand why people might like their other joke songs, but THAT... urgh, that was so bad. The lyrics aren't funny at all, they fail to effectively poke fun at their target, the sound is unbearable, Dexter's voice sounds worse than ever, etc., etc., etc. It just... made me mad. Where are songs like Session? Genocide? Bad Habit? Gone Away? Bah!, I just want them back

Clairabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Clairabel

Dubstep. It's everywhere.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#10  Edited By Kidavenger
@CaptainCody

@habster3: Their's no way The Offspring aren't trolling.

I'd like to believe this, but it's just so embarrassing.
AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By AssInAss

I don't follow the music scene as much, so all I hear about is the praise for albums like (dark hip hop) Death Grips' The Money Store, or (jazz) BADBADNOTGOOD's 2nd album.

Then I bought (post rock) Samuel Jackson Five's latest album. Also liked (alt country) Lamb Chop's (never heard of them before) Mr M.

These are the only music I have bought, and haven't been disappointed. :) All the other bands I like (Interpol, yndi halda, Sonic Youth) haven't put out albums yet. Also I keep my expectations in check.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By wjb

Maybe Jack White's solo album? I'm drawing a blank.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Tylea002

The Offspring one is obviously a joke, but it's also a bad song. So, whilst I know that they're trolling there, it's still... write good music please?

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By cookiemonster

The last radiohead album. Even though it came out last year it still disappoints me.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Cloudenvy

Judging from the preview, Nano.RIPE's next single sounds...Not good. I'll go with that, I guess.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By KaneRobot

The fact that dubstep is still a "thing."

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By laserbolts

Wow that offspring song makes me want to punch someone.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ShaggE

It's been an excellent year so far for the music I've been anticipating, but as an old-school Offspring fan who hasn't been keeping up since Conspiracy of One, it's disappointing to find out that they've fallen so hard. So... that, I guess.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By Vinny_Says

@Hyperglide said:

Big K.R.I.T.S new album Live from the Underground. I thought I'd love it but it's just boring. Sounds like any other generic Southern radio shit rap music. I was expecting more from K.R.I.T. But then again Southern Rap is probably my least fave of all regions. And I like K.R.I.T. on crossovers. He killed his verse on The Roots song 'Make My' on their album release 'Undun' last year.

Meh...

I think Live from the Underground starts off strong but just runs out of momentum half way through, as if KRIT just gave up. I wouldn't say it was a dissapointment because I really wasn't that invested to begin with but I'll keep my eye out on him because he reminds me of Pimp C and he can make some pretty good stuff, as shown on that Roots song. And at least he didn't completely turn to garbage like Yelawolf did on his debut; I was really expecting something special from the guy who made Trunk Muzik, especially with Eminem involved.

As for the topic, I am completely bummed out that Freddie Gibbs still doesn't have an album out.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AssInAss

@Clairabel said:

Dubstep. It's everywhere.

@KaneRobot said:

The fact that dubstep is still a "thing."

It's been a "thing" since 1998, started in London then. What you refer to in a derogatory manner is what Skrillex popularised since 2010 which is called "brostep", and is the most outward type of dubstep to the masses. It's like judging all of rock if you've only heard Fall Out Boy. There are several dubstep sub-genres.

That reminds me, Burial's Kindred EP (came out in Feb 2012) is great.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CaptainCody

This thread is sad, lets talk about my excitement for this shit:

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#22  Edited By Little_Socrates

The Offspring should not try to parody Katy Perry if they can't pull it off as well as...well, Katy Perry.

So far, it's been the new set of G.O.O.D. Fridays leading up to Cruel Summer. While the G.O.O.D. Fridays leading up to MBDTF included some decent songs (and MBDTF was fantastic,) everything on the lead-up to Cruel Summer has just left me distressed. It'd be one thing if I weren't happy with the verses, but the production is awful on all of these songs other than Exodus. Of course, they've made it much more apparent in interviews that Kanye has almost nothing to do with the project seeing as how he's been working on the Cruel Summer movie and Good Ass Job, but you'd think he would've made sure that it wasn't awful.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By stonyman65

@habster3 said:

Ahhh music, who doesn't love it? If you're having a shitty day, it often helps make things better; if everything's going perfectly, it complements the mood; etc. Still, music often leads to occasional (often extreme) disappointments. Therefore, Giant Bomb community, what are some of your biggest music-related disappointments of 2012?

For me, I'd have to say my biggest disappointment this year was The Offspring's new material. You see, The Offspring's Ignition/Smash era has always been a guilty pleasure of mine. Well, guilty pleasure implies that I only kinda like it; as a fan of that late-80s/early-90s skate punk sound, I loved their early works, both musically and lyrically. Even after they sold out and coincidentally (or consequently; you could look at it either way) went downhill musically, I held out for them and kept hoping they'd return to form properly (because some bands have that happen). So, after seeing Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace as a low point in their career, I was hoping their new album would be better. It hasn't come out yet, but notice my "was"; although I had hope for them at first, they released "Cruisin' California (Bumpin' in my Trunk)", which not only shattered my already shallow hopes but also made me cry a little.

The clip's here, but I must warn you: It is TERRIBAD.

My other big musically-related disappointment has been The Black Sabbath/Bill Ward dispute; as a longtime Sabbath fan, it's incredibly sad to see this saga of legal disputes and the like

This,

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By WMWA
@Little_Socrates I actually kind of like that Meek Mill one.

As for me, I'd have to say the Azealia Banks EP or Beach House's new album, Bloom. Meh all around.
Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By Carryboy

@habster3: Yeh that song is really bad, I only recently re-listened to smash and remember how good an album it is.

VTheSystemV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By VTheSystemV

This hasn't come out yet, but Muse's new album, The 2nd Law. Muse are my favourite band, but their album trailer goes from typical (but great) Muse instrumental, to some news broadcast stuff...to dubstep.

That's not Muse. MUSE AREN'T DUBSTEP!

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By cheesebob

@jonnyboy: Pffft. Kanye West is probs one of the best things to happen to rap for years and years.

I have no musical disappointments so far. Ask me in December when all the music I like that is slated for this year has hopefully been released.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Barrock

@Hyperglide said:

Meh...

You should look into Killer Mike's R.A.P Music. It's a classic.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

I haven't listened to The Offspring in years, though I casually enjoyed a lot of their old shit. But holy BALLS is that new song terrible. I sincerely hope that's not how their new album sounds. The song seems like a joke anyway.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#30  Edited By ThePickle

Japandroids - Celebration Rock

I, like everybody else, got very excited for this album after listening to the House That Heaven Built. That song is still great, but the rest of the album is completely forgettable.

Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Little_Socrates

@wmaustin55: I like Burn more than the three above it, anyways. The Kanye verse on Mercy is also pretty awesome, but I still can't decide if that's because I've spent the three minutes before it listening to garbage or not. But the 2Chainz verse just sounds silly afterwards.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#32  Edited By ThePickle

@AssInAss said:

I don't follow the music scene as much, so all I hear about is the praise for albums like (dark hip hop) Death Grips' The Money Store, or (jazz) BADBADNOTGOOD's 2nd album.

Then I bought (post rock) Samuel Jackson Five's latest album. Also liked (alt country) Lamb Chop's (never heard of them before) Mr M.

These are the only music I have bought, and haven't been disappointed. :) All the other bands I like (Interpol, yndi halda, Sonic Youth) haven't put out albums yet. Also I keep my expectations in check.

Mr. M is so far my album of the year, and Gone Tomorrow is my song of the year.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@Little_Socrates said:

The Offspring should not try to parody Katy Perry if they can't pull it off as well as...well, Katy Perry.

So far, it's been the new set of G.O.O.D. Fridays leading up to Cruel Summer. While the G.O.O.D. Fridays leading up to MBDTF included some decent songs (and MBDTF was fantastic,) everything on the lead-up to Cruel Summer has just left me distressed. It'd be one thing if I weren't happy with the verses, but the production is awful on all of these songs other than Exodus. Of course, they've made it much more apparent in interviews that Kanye has almost nothing to do with the project seeing as how he's been working on the Cruel Summer movie and Good Ass Job, but you'd think he would've made sure that it wasn't awful.

Kanye is going to have to do something fucking Super Nova-level amazing to top MBDTF and those songs he's released make me worried for his next album. Hearing he didn't have much to do with them makes me less worried but I haven't heard whether or not that's the style of the next album. Fuck, I hope not. Mercy is shit.

Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Little_Socrates

@MariachiMacabre: I'm not expecting him to top MBDTF, but these songs are worse than my least favorite parts of Graduation and 808's. Cruel Summer isn't a Kanye album, it's a "G.O.O.D. Music" album, so the only of the Fridays that might show up is Cold. The next Kanye album will be Good Ass Job, which is the finale to the Dropout series, and it's supposedly due out by the end of the year. I really enjoyed the first half of Watch The Throne and wasn't so into H.A.M., though, so I'm hoping this is just more bad prerelease stuff that results in a very different and high-quality album.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By PeasantAbuse

Nothing so far! Everything I've been looking forward to (which was basically the Death Grips album and a bunch of shitty metal bands) has been sweet.

I wish MCA was still here though :'(

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@habster3: Holy fuck what happened to The Offspring!? Ixnay on the Hombre is one of my all-time favorite albums, come to think of it I haven't enjoyed anything they've put out after Americana really.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Barrock
Hyperglide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Hyperglide

@Barrock: Already have. It's my 2nd fave album of the year thus far. Only El-P's Cancer 4 Cure trumps it. Can't wait for Aesops new album too. Thanks though.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Little_Socrates: There were a few really excellent songs on there.  Well Im dissapointed in Kanye for Theraflu.  I never thought Kanye would be on a song like that.  
dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By dichemstys

Morbid Angel's Illud Divinum Insanus came out last year, but the shit odor from that is still lingering. The remix album of that came out this year, so that sorta counts.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BestUsernameEver

That's the beauty of the internet, mainstream music has mutated into a thousand niches that are easy to find because of the internet. 2012 is as good as any year for music because I keep finding new stuff that I like. I found the Juke footwork genre this year, and that was releaving because I couldn't figure out the genre of one of my favorite artists, Chrissy murderbot. But sure enough it's bass electronica and juke footwork. Also Jonwayne has a new beats album that is fantastic. In short, stop listening to the radio and actually dig.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Jrinswand

I don't keep up with music so I never really get disappointed.

Edit: Also, @AssInAss, as a fan of both heavy metal and underground hip hop, I don't see what everybody else seems to see in Death Grips. They're just not that good, either from a rock/punk/metal or a hip hop standpoint. Lambchop are great though. Those guys have been around forever. I remember listening to them on a CD sampler I had when I was a little kid.

tread311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#43  Edited By tread311

I know they are annoying people everywhere now, but the new Fun. album is pretty disappointing. Their first one is quite a bit different then the loud hip-hop production of the new stuff.

Zoidberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#44  Edited By Zoidberg

@ThePickle said:

Japandroids - Celebration Rock

I, like everybody else, got very excited for this album after listening to the House That Heaven Built. That song is still great, but the rest of the album is completely forgettable.

wouldn't agree. fire's highway is great (although similar to young hearts spark fire, but that's intentional (they're trying to evoke nostalgia for a song that tried to evoke nostalgia... and it works, I think)), evil's sway is one of their best songs, younger us is still good, and the rest of the album is at least good.

honestly, I haven't been disappointed yet this year. mount eerie's new album was a bit of a departure, but I've come to enjoy it just as much as phil's other work.

Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Little_Socrates

@tread311: I actually preferred the new album as it seemed to be less litigiously ripping off Queen. Of course, I also actually prefer My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy to most Queen, so I probably am not a reliable source.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#46  Edited By jakob187

@habster3: The new Offspring album is half-good. That song is the same instance as "Original Prankster" and "Pretty Fly", where they made some shitty songs for singles. There are a couple of the "pop songs" that aren't bad, just different. There are at least six songs that made me say "FUCK YEAH", and then..of course...there is their re-recording of "Dirty Magic", which is still a fantastic song (even if I want to start singing "Have You Ever?" every time).

Before you say anything, the whole album has been up on YouTube for a few days now.

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Brunchies

I actually haven't really listened to much music from this year, I'm waiting for the rumored daft punk album later this year.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#48  Edited By Red

I was disappointed by the new Tallest Man on Earth album. I mean, it's totally a fine album, but it just isn't as good as his other releases.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Ares42

Damn, the Offspring guys are getting old :P

Although it's not exactly on-topic, my biggest musical disappointment this year was (and I'm sure I'm years behind here) realizing that eventhough MJ was a brilliant artist he pretty much ruined music. Hadn't really thought about it before but after falling into yet another dark Youtube hole I realized that almost all "modern" music is basically just trying to copy his formula for success.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#50  Edited By jakob187

As far as my biggest musical disappointment this year, it's Carly Rae Jepsen. I know, I know. That sounds weird, but whatever. Tug of War was a pretty damn great album, and the fact that she abandoned that for the bullshit bubblegum pop thing...

...it's just disappointing to see a potentially talented musician with a killer voice like hers turn to generic crap.