Bill Nye's message to Obama - "$1.5b for Planetary Science

timeshero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Via Reddit's /u/sirkazuo

A very abbreviated list of technologies realized through NASA funding, research, licensing, facilities, or assistance:

• Aircraft anti-icing systems
  • The infrared ear thermometer which measures thermal radiation of the eardrum similar to way the temperatures of stars and planets are measured
  • Firefighters' face masks, harnesses, air tanks - built with lightweight aluminum composites designed by NASA for rocket casings. Firefighters' breathing masks for protection from smoke inhalation. Inductorless electronic circuit technology for lower-cost, more rugged short range radios used by firefighters. If it has to do with heat protection, NASA probably developed it.
  • Numerous heat-resistant technologies including fire-retardant paints and foams for aircraft, insulating fireproof epoxy, and a fire protectant steel coating for structural protection in high rise buildings
  • The process of freeze-drying foods for preservation
  • Memory foam, which is used in everything from pillows to aircraft to horseback saddles to safety padding in motorsports and to replicate the feel of flesh in prosthetic limbs
  • Invisalign dental braces
  • Safety grooves cut into highways, runways, sidewalks, and parking lots to increase traction and alert drivers to the edges of the road
  • Advanced silicon solar cells which provided a more than 50% increase in efficiency over current cells at the time
  • Baby formula powder, which contains an enrichment ingredient originally created during research on long-duration space travel food sources
  • Water purification systems which can produce pure drinkable water from respiration, sweat, and urine
  • Scratch-resistant plastics
  • Advancements to rubber compounds increasing the average life of car tires by at least 10,000 mi
  • The Dustbuster and other cordless portable vacuums
  • Embedded Web Technology which allows appliances like your Nest thermostat to be controlled over the internet, pioneered by NASA
  • The space blanket found in just about every first aid / first responder kit
  • Light-emitting diode medical treatment for tumors
  • Ground breaking improvements in Ventricular Assist Devices, tiny mechanical hearts that pump blood until a donor heart is available in patients requiring heart transplant
  • Improvements to artificial limb musculature adapted from muscle systems designed for NASA space robotic and EV activities
  • Moisture and chemical detecting materials used to alert aircraft mechanics to corrosive conditions and deny your warranty claim when you drop your smartphone in the toilet
  • A vast library of computer programs, including the NASA Structural Analysis Program
  • Advanced powdered lubricants
  • Ultrasonic tension and load testing technology
  • Numerous FDA standards, guidelines, and requirements adopted after they were developed in an attempt to keep spacecraft atmosphere absolutely contamination free
AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By AltonBrown

I love Bill Nye, especially aged Bill Nye.

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Sure, I'm into it, but while I think it would be a good investment in many ways but it would be more of a long-term positive thing, and politicians aren't really great about thinking out of the short term.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Bill Nye the science guy!

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@getz said:

We're spending over 550 billion on the Defense Department which can't even keep it's books in order, leading to massive waste.

I'd much rather take 1.5 billion away from their budget and give it to NASA. (Though really I'd rather not pay any taxes at all and choose for myself who gets my money...)

I think society collapses at that point-tragedy of the commons and other things- but I understand the sentiment. That defense spending number does depress.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what are the chances that private interests have their own space program underway that no-one knows about, and by the time nasa gets to mars there'll be a bunch of texans and russians already there, mining, and carrying guns.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

So I guess China would hook us up then?

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Sure, I'm into it, but while I think it would be a good investment in many ways but it would be more of a long-term positive thing, and politicians aren't really great about thinking out of the short term.

Yeah, ofcourse since a lot of people they are supposedly representing are all thinking or are concerned with issues that are happening at present anyway.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

When Neil DeGrasse Tyson says "I feel I'd have better luck with New Gringrich" then you know it's a waste of time talking to Obama about space program. Bill Nye is a brave man, to just attempt this and is probably going to get shut down for some military program or oil company.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Niceanims

While on the topic of space exploration, any news on the progress of that warp drive NASA was researching back in August?

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/164326-nasa-discusses-its-warp-drive-research-prepares-to-create-a-warp-bubble-in-the-lab

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would never disagree with Bill Nye.

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaspower: That's even more hopeful then what I think, which is that they look to the short term because those results are what will look sexy next election.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

All of humanity should be contributing to space stuff. Approved!

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hh said:

what are the chances that private interests have their own space program underway that no-one knows about, and by the time nasa gets to mars there'll be a bunch of texans and russians already there, mining, and carrying guns.

The chances are really quite good, because it's already happened. Except it's not something no one knows about, because hundreds of millions of dollars have been granted to private companies through NASA themselves.

Space X is a private company that made its first cargo delivery to the international space station over a year ago. And in most estimates, they've been doing it for far less money than it would have cost the government doing it themselves.

Nye is correct that we need to pool more of the national budget into science, but giving it to NASA, which is essentially it's own failed company, is the wrong way to do it.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By GaspoweR

@towersixteen: Well yeah, there's that, too. That's why I said "supposedly representing" in my previous comment.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

You'd think this year's celestial events would drive this point home, but still, people are clueless.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshwent: wow, thanks for those links, fascinating stuff

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hh: Yeah, man. I was shocked when I found out about that stuff just a few months ago. It's insane to me that there's not wider publicity that private companies are already working (and succeeding) in fucking space!

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@psylah: Isn't that happening near constantly? Not that I disapprove of the initiative but I don't think asteroid near misses, by the definition generally given, are particularly rare.

Ironhammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NASA is a waste of public funds. If going to space is worthwhile someone will invest in it privately. Since going to space likely isn't worthwhile, we have NASA wasting billions of dollars trying to justify its own existence. It's a relic of the cold war.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Nekroskop

Just tell politicians that there is oil on the moon. NASA will get billions.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bill Nye was cool, even before Bow Ties were cool. Carry on Bill

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By colourful_hippie

Cutting from defense to add to NASA sure would be nice.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

He could have trimmed three minutes off of that video and just said "Mr. President, consider the following: Science rules! That'll be 1.5 billion, please!".

Jacktrote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jacktrote

I think any realistic person should be aware that these innocent childish passions about space do not belong in our world right now.

American people can't afford medicine when they get diabetes, extremism is taking Arabia back to the nomadic ages, China is full of inhumane sweat shops and the shit they do to animals in the far East are cray, and the European economy is aparenty about to collapse.

"Looking for life on other planets" is stupid shit. Let's fix our goddamn planet first and relieve life on it. Nye is nice but he sounds like a child.

You need a hard concrete base for a house before you build the walls. You need a healthy and peaceful home planet before you go wasting money on finding aliens on other planets.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

This company plans to land a craft on the moon in a few years. Let them mess around up there.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I suggest using the NSAs money as well.