Books and such

hip_happer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By hip_happer

So I decided to start this thread to spread the joy of literature and hopefully someone can find something new and interesting to read! 
It's like science, here's how it goes:

1. What you've been reading lately and a brief spiel on how you feel about it
2.Your favorite book/series 
3.Something you've been wanting to read. 

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

1.  Harry Potter Deathly Hallows
2.  Harry Potter Series 
3.  Future Harry Potter books.

hip_happer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By hip_happer

I'll start! 

1. It's not really a novel, but Scot Pilgrim. I lurv it :3  it can kinda get a little over the top with the drama, but it's pretty awesome and has lots of silly vidya referenes.
2. The "A Song of Ice and Fire" series by George R. R. Martin. It's not even finished yet and I can say it's my favorite story in any series of books evar. 
3. The "Dark Tower" series. I read the first one "The Gunslinger" and was really impressed/intrigued and I want moar, just gotta find the time. 

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Dingofighter
@KaosAngel said:
" 1.  Harry Potter Deathly Hallows2.  Harry Potter Series 3.  Future Harry Potter books. "
So...What you're trying to say is that you like Star Wars, right?
Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By CaptainTightPants

1. Have not read a book in months
2. Cirque De Freak or Demonata or Harry Potter
3. The rest of the Demonata books and the rest of Crime and Punishment.

hip_happer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By hip_happer
Gasp, how can you like any HP book more than the first?  D:
insanetj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By insanetj
  1. Just finished the Complete Sherlock Holmes Collection from Barnes and Noble and thought it was great. Right now I'm Reading House of Leaves and I have a love hate relationship with it right now.
  2. Lord of the Rings. End of Eternity.
  3. I got the entire Dark Tower series for free but haven't had time to read any of them yet.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Diamond

1.  Julian Comstock  --  Seems good so far.  Believable envisioning of the future.  The storytelling is really well done.  The plot seems to wander a fair amount, though.  90% of the story could have taken place in 1890.
2.  Lord of the Rings.
3.  I need a new good fantasy novel / series to read, and most of the popular stuff isn't doing it for me.  BTW, Dark Tower series is quite good.  You guys who want to read it should read it.

SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By SpiralStairs

1. I went looking for Snow Crash at the nearest Books a Million, unfortunately I did not find it. Last book I read was Neuromancer. 

2. At the moment, probably American Psycho. It's extremely fucked up, but there's more to the story than torture and rape, and the ending really makes you question the main character's sanity, and maybe even your own. So good.

3. Like I said in #1, Snow Crash, although any good cyberpunk novel will do. Also need to finish the Dark Tower series.

hip_happer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By hip_happer

it seems quite a few people really like the Dark Tower. Gonna have to do some amazon shoppin here in a minute

Frohman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Frohman
@hip_happer said:
" Gasp, how can you like any HP book more than the first?  D:
"
He's not a very good writer.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b65f243818c0
deactivated-5b65f243818c0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SpiralStairs said:
" 1. I went looking for Snow Crash at the nearest Books a Million, unfortunately I did not find it. Last book I read was Neuromancer.   2. At the moment, probably American Psycho. It's extremely fucked up, but there's more to the story than torture and rape, and the ending really makes you question the main character's sanity, and maybe even your own. So good.  3. Like I said in #1, Snow Crash, although any good cyberpunk novel will do. Also need to finish the Dark Tower series. "
You didn't question his sanity *before* the ending??? AP had some genuinely funny moments, but I could never read it again. Did you ever pick up "Less than Zero"? 

1. Currently reading "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" on the recommendation of my supervisor at work; he says I remind him of Marvin. Ha. 
2. My favorite book ever is "The Stand" by Stephen King; my favorite series is Harry Potter.  
3. I really want to finish "The Thorn Birds", and I need to complete the Dune Chronicles; I got stuck on "Heretics of Dune". That series really went off of the rails.
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13  Edited By KaosAngel
@Frohman said:
" @hip_happer said:
"
He's not a very good writer. "
SHE, and she's a great writer!  She might be England best writer, I love her stuff!  She taught me a lot of England slang!
SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SpiralStairs
@amandackrueger said:
" @SpiralStairs said:
" 1. I went looking for Snow Crash at the nearest Books a Million, unfortunately I did not find it. Last book I read was Neuromancer.   2. At the moment, probably American Psycho. It's extremely fucked up, but there's more to the story than torture and rape, and the ending really makes you question the main character's sanity, and maybe even your own. So good.  3. Like I said in #1, Snow Crash, although any good cyberpunk novel will do. Also need to finish the Dark Tower series. "
You didn't question his sanity *before* the ending??? AP had some genuinely funny moments, but I could never read it again.
Good point >__>

I haven't picked up Less than Zero, the only other novel I've read by him is Glamorama, which is just as insane as American Psycho, with a few gay sex scenes thrown in just for fun.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SpiralStairs: There are homoerotic undertones (well, overtones, too) in "Less than Zero". It was a soul-crushing book, much harder to read than American Psycho, in my opinion. What other cyberpunk books do you like/recommend?
SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SpiralStairs
@amandackrueger:  I actually just started getting into the genre, so Neuromancer is really the only experience I have with the it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SpiralStairs: What do you like about it?
SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SpiralStairs
@amandackrueger said:
" @SpiralStairs: What do you like about it? "
I liked how it was just so insane. Some of the scenes in the book (for example when they stage a fake terrorist attack on some media company to steal an AI) were among the coolest things I've ever read. I need to get the rest of the books in the series.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SpiralStairs: Intriguing. You'll have to keep us updated :-)
nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By nickux

For the longest time I read mostly short fiction- stories by Raymond Carver, etc. But last year I read Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer and it totally changed my reading habits. Since then, I've been really into reading non-fiction, specifically about mountaineering.  

The last few books I read (and loved) were Dark Summit and Eiger Dreams.  Dark Summit is about a recent controversial Everest climbing season and Eiger Dreams is a collection of Krakauer's articles and other essays about all types of climbing. 
Currently, I'm reading Columbine by Dave Cullen. Columbine is a pretty exhaustive look at the school shootings, what happened leading up to them, and the aftermath. 

Next up, I'm hoping to read either K2 by Ed Viesturs, Blind Descent by James Tabor, or Papillon by Henri Cherriere. 

K2 is about the history of climbing on the world's second-highest (but deadlier) mountain. Blind Descent is about the race to find the deepest cave on Earth, and Papillon is a true story about a man who was wronged convicted of a crime and escaped from an infamous French prison.  

I think I have a pretty weird taste in books lately, I doubt too many people like to read the crap I do but I'm really on a strange non-fiction/outdoor lit kick. 

Avatar image for comradekritstov
ComradeKritstov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ComradeKritstov

1. Ender's Shadow and it's awesome if you liked Ender's Game. 
2. Has to be Harry Potter (the series that made me love to read)
3.  Dune series (read the first but need to read the rest). EDIT: After reading through this thread I'm adding Dark Tower and Snow Crash to my list.

Avatar image for passivekaerenai
PassiveKaerenai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PassiveKaerenai

I just spent my whole goddamn summer reading. READING. Art for art's sake. And also getting into college for English.

1. Marcel Proust, 'In Search of Lost Time,' so far astounding, beautiful, awesome.  And synesthetically a purple band across a black ocean.
2. Anything Russian, or anything Modernist. A Nabokov, Woolf, Dostoevsky, Faulkner mash-up/orgy.
3. Tolstoy's back-catalogue, Pynchon, 'Finnegans Wake' (the last...exhausting stage of Joyce), and an exponentially inflating reading list.

logicfracture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By logicfracture

1. Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie. It was a pretty awesome mystery. I was guessing till the end.
2.   The Belgariad series and  the Malloreon Series by David Eddings. Both greeeat series. I read two of those books a week till I finished them.
3. Raymond Feist's Riftwar Saga

eternalrift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By eternalrift

1. I don't have time really to read things for fun anymore, but I have been reading Fermi's Thermodynamics every night before I go to bed... helps me fall asleep. 
2. Definitely would have to be anything Farseer by Robin Hobb. The ending of the Tawny Man trilogy was so powerful!
3. I've been meaning to read through the Horus Heresy from start to eventual end, but can never find the time. Also, I need to read A Song of Ice and Fire; I'm just hoping that series won't end like the Wheel of Time...

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By audiosnag

1. Hammer of the Gods
It's the Led Zeppelin bio. Freakin awesome. Those guys got up to some pretty awesome, crazy and just plain weird shite. Being a rock star of that magnitude is something I can't even comprehend. 

2. Lord of the Rings, The Dark Tower series, Watership Down, The Strain
Lots have been said about the first two so i wont go into them..but they're amazing. Watership Down is...about talking rabbits. Seriously. And it's an incredible book. It's really about a group of individuals leaving their doomed home an setting out into a hostile dangerous land trying to find a new place to live and all the stuff that happens along the way. It's really tense and occasionally dark and surprisingly violent. An yeah...about rabbits. 
And The Strain is the first book in a series written by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan about a vampiric virus that starts to take over New York. Sorta combines science with supernatural and it's freakin awesome.

3. I've read The Road by Cormack McCarthy and thought it was awesome, i wanna read the rest of his stuff.

Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By Damien

Scott Pilgrim, the Mass Effect books, and the Gears books.  I'm going in.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By WickedCestus

I've been reading "The Cider House Rules" by John Irving. I like it, but not as much as the other couple of his I have read. 

My favourite book ever is "Hotel New Hampshire" by John Irving. I read the whole thing in two nights and cried at the end. It's an amazing book.  

I think you might see a pattern here, but I'm looking forward to reading more John Irving books! I'm catching up on all his work. I also like Bill Bryson a lot and haven't read his most recent book yet.

Great_Gregory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Great_Gregory

1. Just finished the third installment of "The Hunger Games Trilogy," Mockingjay. ***No need for a spoiler alert here, I'll watch myself.*** This trilogy had me on the edge of my seat through all three books nearly the entire time. Suzanne Collins does a good job of keeping your attention, thats for damn sure. 

2. I think my favorite book of all time would have to be Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. I wish i could be more original than that, but they're so good! And OotP made me feel closer to the characters than any time so far, and therefore, the rest of the series was that much more enjoyable. Though Harry was wrought with depression at some points, it was a much needed metamorphasis from his adolescent self in books 1-3 and of course the catalyst that was book 4.

3. And last, I've really been wanting to read a good zombie book. World War Z did a phenomenal job, and I can't wait for the (rumored, not confirmed on my part) movie! But I thirst for more biting, moaning, shuffling awesomeness. Looking for a recommendation if you have one. (And of course I've read The Zombie Survival Guide, as well as a little book called Zombie Haiku which was actually very entertaining and well written. I don't even get into poetry that much, either.)

Frohman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Frohman
@KaosAngel said:
" @Frohman said:
" @hip_happer said:
"
He's not a very good writer. "
SHE, and she's a great writer!  She might be England best writer, I love her stuff!  She taught me a lot of England slang! "
My mistake. I assumed he was talking about Lovecraft. HP... Lovecraft. HP (Harry Potter). You can see where I went wrong.
paradox121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By paradox121

1. The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
2. The Curious Incident of the Dog In the Nighttime
3. One of those books you feel you should read because everyone seems to of. Like....Pride and Prejudice or summin'

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#31  Edited By Tireyo

1. Whatever college throws at me.
2. I don't know 
3. I don't care 

-Sorry, but I don't really read for leisure, pleasure, or entertainment. It's hard for me to get into a book.

Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Obsidian

1. Journey to the End of the Night by Louis-Ferdinand Celine.  It's fucking crazy.
2. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde.
3. American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

jschmoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jschmoe

1.  I'm about to start the newest Mass Effect book, can't remember the title off the top of my head.  I enjoyed the first one, the second was OK but seemed to lack a sense of progression.  Hopefully this improves on it.
2.  The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
3.  I'd like to get into the Dark Tower series, but I have a bunch of nonfiction that I want to get through first.  
@amandackrueger said:

1. Currently reading "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" on the recommendation of my supervisor at work; he says I remind him of Marvin. Ha.
I'm normally not one to recommend piracy, but this may be an exception.  Try to find the unabridged audiobook version of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series, as read by Douglas Adams.  It is out of print and extremely difficult to find.  It was on cassette, and was later put on CD, but in such low quantities that finding a single scratched version could run you hundreds of dollars.
ForgottenRomeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ForgottenRomeo

I CANNOT stress enough how much i love the Jack West Jr series of books by Matthew Reilly.

7 Ancient Wonders
6 Sacred Stones
5 Greatest Warriors

Absolute, pure, action packed amazing wow they just did that awesomeness... Go buy em.. NOW DAMNIT!

fflyash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By fflyash

1. Just finished The Stand.
2. The Dark Tower series.
3. I've been wanting to read The Road for a while now, so I might look at that.

Kiera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Kiera

people magazine falls under "such" right?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Diamond
@jschmoe said:
@amandackrueger said:
I'm normally not one to recommend piracy, but this may be an exception.  Try to find the unabridged audiobook version of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series, as read by Douglas Adams.  It is out of print and extremely difficult to find.  It was on cassette, and was later put on CD, but in such low quantities that finding a single scratched version could run you hundreds of dollars. "
I heard that, not that keen on it.  The original BBC radio production is amazing though.
Ironbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Ironbunny

I;ve been reading a book lately named wake up, sir! by jonathan ames. At the moment ive been trying to discern if its worth reading... its a funny book, all of the humor comes from the comically 1920s-ish and gentlemanly language used (words like unflappable and calamitous are tossed around regularly) I think this might get old, so we'll see if the book develops a bit better.

SpacePenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39  Edited By SpacePenguin

I started reading "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" by Philip K. Dick... man that book is really wierd so far, but Im really enjoying it.

donwoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By donwoogie

My parents never encouraged me to read anything I would enjoy so I never did.
At the age of 16, I read my first book and it was The Lord of the Rings and I loved it.  So much so that I read all three in the span of 4 days.
After that I thought "maybe I do like reading", so I bought a copy of War and Peace.... boy did that suck the fun out of reading for me.........  Haven't picked up a book since

iloverobots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By iloverobots

Not really a novel but I picked up Hawking & Mlodinow's new book yesterday (The Grand Design) and it's good. Amazing intro to M-Theory (as well as basic concepts of quantum mechanics), and as usual, amazingly nerdy jokes.     

and yeah. Harry Potter. Been thinking of re-reading everything before the next movie comes out. I get a kick about reading the book right before watching the movie then complaining about what they took out :/

nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#42  Edited By nick_verissimo

1. Novels: The Hitchhikers guide series (Again), Youth in Revolt series and Hocus Pocus.  I've also been reading the Stand for about a hundred millenia.
    Comics:  I just started Ex Machina and also 100 bullets after attending a panel with Brian Azzarello and the Toronto FanEXPO 
2. Novels:  Harry Potter...pure and simple. 
   Comics:  I have never loved anything more then Scott Pilgrim.  Got into it a couple years back and this summer has been a Pilgrim fans wet dream.  I'll just go out and say that Bryan Lee O'Malley writes the uncomfortable 20's better then anyone else.   Lost at Sea (BLM) is a cherished book of mine.
3.  Novels: Whatever it is J.K. Rowling is putting out that's about it.  All my favourite authors are dead. 
     Comics: The trade for the next installment in the Amory Wars series and whatever Bryan Lee O'Malley is going to put out. 

Glad to see just about everyone posting here likes HP! ahah

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Mmmslash

My favorite book of all time is Odd Thomas.

It's literally the only book to ever make me both laugh out loud AND cry.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By HandsomeDead

1. John Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath is the last book I bought, which was about 6 hours ago. I haven't read any of it yet so I can't comment but the last book I actually read and finished and enjoyed was Of Mice And Men. That was 6 years ago. 

2. I've never really enjoyed a book so much that I could call it a favourite. 

3. I did order At The Mountains of Madness by H.P. Lovecraft but it didn't arrive in time so I suppose I'll have to wait till next year to read it.