trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#101  Edited By trylks
@GIVEMEREPLAY said:
Again with this philosophy 101 mentality. The impossibility of perfection doesn't mean one should not strive toward betterment. The fact that your teeth will never be perfectly clean doesn't mean you shouldn't attempt to clean them twice a day, lest they rot. Yes, you're right that no law is perfect in its enforcement. However, it is also plain to see that 10 bulls being tortured to death rather than 100 in a year is a reduction in suffering ten fold, and if unnecessary suffering is a bad thing then the imposition of that law banning bullfighting is a good thing.
I hope you are a vegan, otherwise this doesn't hold.

Because yes, chickens that lay eggs suffer (usually a lot of stress so they produce more eggs, among other sufferings) and yes, eating eggs is unnecessary, and so is proving every vegan who doesn't eat eggs and is perfectly healthy.

Should vegan diet be imposed? Which is the difference?

Is the nuisance of your bad manners necessary at all? For sure not for me, I don't need to teach you anything. I'll be waiting if you are interested in a serious debate about ethics; life has taught me that internet forums are not the place for that, though.
one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#102  Edited By one_2nd

Forcing men to fight to the death it tradition too. Obviously it's time bull fighting comes to an end. 

GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#103  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY
@Trylks said:
" @GIVEMEREPLAY said:
Again with this philosophy 101 mentality. The impossibility of perfection doesn't mean one should not strive toward betterment. The fact that your teeth will never be perfectly clean doesn't mean you shouldn't attempt to clean them twice a day, lest they rot. Yes, you're right that no law is perfect in its enforcement. However, it is also plain to see that 10 bulls being tortured to death rather than 100 in a year is a reduction in suffering ten fold, and if unnecessary suffering is a bad thing then the imposition of that law banning bullfighting is a good thing.
I hope you are a vegan, otherwise this doesn't hold.  Because yes, chickens that lay eggs suffer (usually a lot of stress so they produce more eggs, among other sufferings) and yes, eating eggs is unnecessary, and so is proving every vegan who doesn't eat eggs and is perfectly healthy.  Should vegan diet be imposed? Which is the difference? Is the nuisance of your bad manners necessary at all? For sure not for me, I don't need to teach you anything. I'll be waiting if you are interested in a serious debate about ethics; life has taught me that internet forums are not the place for that, though. "
Chickens produce eggs whether you eat them or not, and there is a very large and demonstrable difference between the pain a chicken suffers in birth versus the pain a bull feels in being ritually taunted and stabbed to death over the course of an hour. You'll have to find a more comparable case if you want that line of logic to hold any water. 
st3vie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#104  Edited By st3vie

if they're so desperate to stick pins in living creatures, just put two (or more) bull fighters in the arena instead of one and call it deathmatch or something!

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By trylks
@GIVEMEREPLAY: can you quantify pain? fighting bulls live in freedom all their lives, until a day they suffer pain and stress until they are killed, except for those exceptionally good that will live as stud bulls. Hens on the contrary may never see the sun light, they are piled up, their beak is mutilated so that they won't hurt each other due to the conditions they have to suffer, and then some lights are turned on and off to trick them into believe it is day or night, just that the cycles are way shorter than 24 hours, so that they will produce eggs faster. This speed in the cycles, very limited space to move and  not being on ground but on bars (so that excrements go through) produce a very stressful life to death.

If I had to choose I'd prefer to be a fighting bull than a hen.  And that just because you prefer the pleasure of the taste of eggs, which is unnecessary and supposed to be higher than the pleasure of witnessing the art of bullfighting, which I personally don't like, but the ethical treatment of the question so far seems quite shallow to me.

@GIVEMEREPLAY said:

there is a very large and demonstrable difference between the pain a chicken suffers in birth versus the pain a bull feels in being ritually taunted and stabbed to death over the course of an hour.

In short, no, there is no large and demonstrable difference in the suffering and the quality of the lives of those animals, and if so, it is in favor of fighting bulls.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#106  Edited By Jeust
  @Trylks said: 

@Jeust said: 

" People and bans... >_>  I don't know why people love bans on everything they hate. True that it is a disgusting activity, at least for me, but forcing someone not to do it isn't a good thing. People should be educated, not forced.  "

Completely agree. 

I would be happy if it just didn't receive public money. That would be a very good step IMHO. 

Next step: bou embolat:   http://ca.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bou_embolat  

@Demonstride:  the bull is basically stabbed to death, and my guess is that probably that has to be painful. 

@Suicrat

said: 

@Jeust: This does seem like an attempt on the part of the Catalan legislature to differentiate the region they administrate from the rest of Spain. "

It is. 

@Jeust

said: 

To me it is cruel because, while still a courageous activity, bullfights consist in toying with animals, that previously had their horns sawed, drugged and suffered other kinds of abuse. It's not a honest fight, it is a violent spectacle. Still people should see it for what it is, and not ban it because it is easier.  "

It isn't like that. They are spiked, with the main goal of waking their rage, but the horns are not sawed and they are quite dangerous. I don't think they are drugged either. Actually, the bulls used for bullfighting have been chosen for generations among the fiercest, as they provide a greater spectacle. 

About illegal bullfightings going on (which I read somewhere) that is quite unlikely, if you consider the size of these things:  
http://maps.google.es/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=es&geocode=&q=Plaza+de+Toros+de+Las+Ventas&sll=40.396764,-3.713379&sspn=8.681468,19.753418&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Plaza+de+Toros+de+Las+Ventas&ll=40.431849,-3.663093&spn=0.004238,0.009645&t=h&z=17 

That is a great idea, about the cessation of public funds. 

Didn't knew about bou embolat. 

About bullfights, i generally don't see them, and much less spanish. In Portugal, you generally can see that the horns have been sawed. My error steamed from there. :)  

@Trylks said:

" @GIVEMEREPLAY: can you quantify pain? fighting bulls live in freedom all their lives, until a day they suffer pain and stress until they are killed, except for those exceptionally good that will live as stud bulls. Hens on the contrary may never see the sun light, they are piled up, their beak is mutilated so that they won't hurt each other due to the conditions they have to suffer, and then some lights are turned on and off to trick them into believe it is day or night, just that the cycles are way shorter than 24 hours, so that they will produce eggs faster. This speed in the cycles, very limited space to move and  not being on ground but on bars (so that excrements go through) produce a very stressful life to death.

If I had to choose I'd prefer to be a fighting bull than a hen.  And that just because you prefer the pleasure of the taste of eggs, which is unnecessary and supposed to be higher than the pleasure of witnessing the art of bullfighting, which I personally don't like, but the ethical treatment of the question so far seems quite shallow to me.

@GIVEMEREPLAY

said:

there is a very large and demonstrable difference between the pain a chicken suffers in birth versus the pain a bull feels in being ritually taunted and stabbed to death over the course of an hour.

In short, no, there is no large and demonstrable large difference in the suffering and the quality of the lives of those animals, and if so, it is in favor of fighting bulls. "
And are you forgetting the amount of chickens breed in captivity, in spaces almost as large as themselves.  

Abuse is everywhere, despite rules, regulations and bans. The only true law respected no matter the place is that the weak is always at the mercy of the strong. You can regulate, criminalize, still you can't avoid the existence of violence.
WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#107  Edited By WalkerTR77

I would be fine with it if it was a straight fight, shirtless man with no knife using his bare hands. Right now even if the matador loses other matadors just storm in and stab the bull shitless.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#108  Edited By time allen

the only real downside to this is that we won't get to see assholes getting their pants ripped off and flag waving lunatics being pummeled by the aforementioned bulls anymore.

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By trylks
@WalkerTR77 said:

" I would be fine with it if it was a straight fight, shirtless man with no knife using his bare hands. Right now even if the matador loses other matadors just storm in and stab the bull shitless. "

If you think it's that biased you can try it by yourself, I can guarantee that if you are good it is very well paid.

@Toms115 said:

" the only real downside to this is that we won't get to see assholes getting their pants ripped off and flag waving lunatics being pummeled by the aforementioned bulls anymore. "

That's false, San Fermines will contine, and bou embolat, and there will be many other chances to see that.
time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By time allen
@Trylks said:
" @WalkerTR77 said:

" I would be fine with it if it was a straight fight, shirtless man with no knife using his bare hands. Right now even if the matador loses other matadors just storm in and stab the bull shitless. "

If you think it's that biased you can try it by yourself, I can guarantee that if you are good it is very well paid.

@Toms115 said:

" the only real downside to this is that we won't get to see assholes getting their pants ripped off and flag waving lunatics being pummeled by the aforementioned bulls anymore. "

That's false, San Fermines will contine, and bou embolat, and there will be many other chances to see that. "
it was really just a joke so that i could call people who enjoy this stuff assholes and call matadors lunatics without seeming too overly aggressive, but whatever, you're free to interpret that any way you like. :P
W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#111  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers

Tasty, tasty bull. Good thing I'm having tacos tonight.

GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY
@Jeust said:

And are you forgetting the amount of chickens breed in captivity, in spaces almost as large as themselves.   Abuse is everywhere, despite rules, regulations and bans. The only true law respected no matter the place is that the weak is always at the mercy of the strong. You can regulate, criminalize, still you can't avoid the existence of violence. "

Once again, you mental midget, the fact that abuses occur is not a reason to stop attempting to prevent them. Perfect might be the enemy of good, but for you it seems perfection is the enemy of doing anything at all. Come back when you've read something beyond Rand and Nietzsche quotes.  

As to might making right, make sure to tell the police that if you ever get mugged.  

@otherdouche

can you quantify pain? fighting bulls live in freedom all their lives, until a day they suffer pain and stress until they are killed, except for those exceptionally good that will live as stud bulls. Hens on the contrary may never see the sun light, they are piled up, their beak is mutilated so that they won't hurt each other due to the conditions they have to suffer, and then some lights are turned on and off to trick them into believe it is day or night, just that the cycles are way shorter than 24 hours, so that they will produce eggs faster. This speed in the cycles, very limited space to move and  not being on ground but on bars (so that excrements go through) produce a very stressful life to death. 

If you think the life of a cooped up hen is worse than that of a bull being ritually stabbed to death the answer is to treat chickens better, not attempt to justify one injustice with another. 
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#113  Edited By Suicrat
@GIVEMEREPLAY: Actually, the answer would be to concern oneself with human suffering, and not worry about adding unnecessary costs to the supply of food.
trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By trylks
@Toms115: sorry, there is some serious stuff going on here. I don't think you mean that either, some people from Spain could feel insulted and I guess that's not what a nice person like you would want to do. 

@GIVEMEREPLAY said:
@otherdouche

can you quantify pain? fighting bulls live in freedom all their lives, until a day they suffer pain and stress until they are killed, except for those exceptionally good that will live as stud bulls. Hens on the contrary may never see the sun light, they are piled up, their beak is mutilated so that they won't hurt each other due to the conditions they have to suffer, and then some lights are turned on and off to trick them into believe it is day or night, just that the cycles are way shorter than 24 hours, so that they will produce eggs faster. This speed in the cycles, very limited space to move and  not being on ground but on bars (so that excrements go through) produce a very stressful life to death. 

If you think the life of a cooped up hen is worse than that of a bull being ritually stabbed to death the answer is to treat chickens better, not attempt to justify one injustice with another.  "

Great, the debate is progressing thanks to your collaboration and interest in finding agreement and the truth, instead of just insulting people in a desperate attempt of alleviating the suffering for a pathological lack of self-esteem.

@Trylks said:
I hope you are a vegan, otherwise this doesn't hold.
BTW: you can avoid using the regular replies, I'll following the thread, so I don't need the notifications. HAND.
GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY
@Trylks said:

@GIVEMEREPLAY said: 

If you think the life of a cooped up hen is worse than that of a bull being ritually stabbed to death the answer is to treat chickens better, not attempt to justify one injustice with another.  "

Great, the debate is progressing thanks to your collaboration and interest in finding agreement and the truth, instead of just insulting people in a desperate attempt of alleviating the suffering for a pathological lack of self-esteem.

Haven't you two already butchered enough philosophers without bringing Freudian psychoanalysis into this? If you can't respond to my argument just don't reply. I won't think any less of you for it. 
KillerBears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By KillerBears
@Jeust said:
" @GIVEMEREPLAY said:
" @Jeust said:
" People and bans... >_>  I don't know why people love bans on everything they hate. True that it is a disgusting activity, at least for me, but forcing someone not to do it isn't a good thing. People should be educated, not forced.  "
Tell the bull that.  "
yep, still enforcing it, doesn't mean it will go away. Illegal bullfights will still take place, and will be more expensive than a legal one ever was.  "
If we outlaw bullfights, only outlaws will have bullfights... 
trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By trylks
@GIVEMEREPLAY said:   
Haven't you two already butchered enough philosophers without bringing Freudian psychoanalysis into this? If you can't respond to my argument just don't reply. I won't think any less of you for it.  "
OK, looks like you need a longer explanation. No problem, no reason to be embarrased.

The point in that message is that I did already reply that some posts ago.

But looks like you are still missing the main point. The main point is that you cannot justify bullfighting for amusement as less ethical than hen use for egg consumption. So whatever you decide to do with one of them, to be fair, you should do that with the other one, or provide a rationale for the difference that makes one unethical and the another one ethical. Something I can foresee you will consistently fail to do.

There is nothing bad in being wrong and learning from the mistakes, the problem is when you cannot accept that due to a lack of self-esteem and are disrespectful in a debate.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Jeust
@GIVEMEREPLAY said:
" @Jeust said:

And are you forgetting the amount of chickens breed in captivity, in spaces almost as large as themselves.   Abuse is everywhere, despite rules, regulations and bans. The only true law respected no matter the place is that the weak is always at the mercy of the strong. You can regulate, criminalize, still you can't avoid the existence of violence. "

Once again, you mental midget, the fact that abuses occur is not a reason to stop attempting to prevent them. Perfect might be the enemy of good, but for you it seems perfection is the enemy of doing anything at all. Come back when you've read something beyond Rand and Nietzsche quotes.  

As to might making right, make sure to tell the police that if you ever get mugged.  "
The problem is not attempting, or that perfection is the enemy of good, is the fact that at what cost comes what we are trying to achieve. 

Do you think the best way to resolve a problem is to criminalize the activity? 

Take freedom away from people because they can't be left to decide for themselves.  

The problem with it, is by that way of thinking will only shorten our leash. We'll take all our freedoms in the name of an ideal we cannot even comprehend - the absence of violence.  That is wrong!

And please can we stop with the insults. No one is insulting you, in case you've noticed.

@KillerBears said:

" @Jeust said:

" @GIVEMEREPLAY said:
" @Jeust said:
Tell the bull that.  "
yep, still enforcing it, doesn't mean it will go away. Illegal bullfights will still take place, and will be more expensive than a legal one ever was.  "
If we outlaw bullfights, only outlaws will have bullfights...  "
If we outlaw videogames, only outlaws will play videogames...  

How does that sound to you? 
GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY
@Trylks said:
" @GIVEMEREPLAY said:   
Haven't you two already butchered enough philosophers without bringing Freudian psychoanalysis into this? If you can't respond to my argument just don't reply. I won't think any less of you for it.  "
OK, looks like you need a longer explanation. No problem, no reason to be embarrased.  The point in that message is that I did already reply that some posts ago.  But looks like you are still missing the main point. The main point is that you cannot justify bullfighting for amusement as less ethical than hen use for egg consumption. So whatever you decide to do with one of them, to be fair, you should do that with the other one, or provide a rationale for the difference that makes one unethical and the another one ethical. Something I can foresee you will consistently fail to do.  There is nothing bad in being wrong and learning from the mistakes, the problem is when you cannot accept that due to a lack of self-esteem and are disrespectful in a debate. "
You bitch about personal sniping yet you continue to sling mud about my self esteem levels. What do you know about my self esteem? What is it that you've deduced from my posts that permits you to make such an assumption? You don't know my actual name, my job, my friends. You know nothing about me except what I've said on this forum, which is hardly enough information to pull some long distance psychoanalysis bullshit like you're attempting. You look foolish.  

First things first: it's up to you to show that chicken egg production and the ritual killing of a bull are comparable in the levels of suffering they induce. It strikes me that a chicken producing an egg (something chickens naturally do and which does not harm them) probably involves a lot less suffering that stabbing a bull repeatedly with pikes before finally giving it a mercy killing with a sword. One results in a lot of blood and death, and the other is something chickens do on a daily basis.  

Secondly, while chickens can certainly produce eggs under non-arbitrary-suffering conditions, it's quite impossible to ritually kill a bull with pikes and a sword without causing unnecessary suffering.  It is perfectly cogent to support eating chicken eggs while opposing the ritual killing of bulls because one can be done without suffering and the other cannot. 
KillerBears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By KillerBears
@Jeust:   
First of all: Haha, what? 
Second: Calm down, I was making a tongue-and-cheek reference to a phrase commonly used by libertarians to support the freedom to carry firearms in the USA ("If we outlaw guns, only outlaws will carry guns"). I realize now you aren't from here so you probably didn't get my reference. I was trying to be absurd, not argue. Arguing on the internet is a waste of time...

...But now that you've got me in an arguing mood, yes, I think criminalizing certain things can help solve a problem. Your view of humanity is unrealistic, people suck a lot of the time, especially when they aren't thinking about consequences or are responding to an emotion. I agree that it'd be awesome if we could just demonstrate to people why an idea is bad for them and society as a whole and then have them stop because they realize it's bad. But to think education can realistically stop humans from doing awful things is very idealistic and depends on a vision of humanity that history proves over and over again doesn't really exist.
Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#121  Edited By Detrian

Aw look at the big boys bickering with tenets of philosophy instead of arguments based in reality. Big words have never been bigger or emptier.

The fact of the matter is that this is actually not about bullfighting but a desperate attempt from Catalonia at distancing themselves from Spain, trying to gain some sort of own "national" identity by giving away some of their tradition. Everyone arguing about how Catalonia is making a stand for animal rights or any other bullshit is simply wrong and for proof should turn to the fact that Catalonia didn't ban but in fact protected bull runs and "fire bull" events which cause suffering, distress and frequently death to the animals.

I for one couldn't care less about a dumb beast dying but I also wouldn't like this thread getting drowned in ridiculous and sad attempts at discussing the value of life with half baked, high school level knowledge of philosophy.

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By trylks
@GIVEMEREPLAY said:

You bitch about personal sniping yet you continue to sling mud about my self esteem levels. What do you know about my self esteem? What is it that you've deduced from my posts that permits you to make such an assumption? You don't know my actual name, my job, my friends. You know nothing about me except what I've said on this forum, which is hardly enough information to pull some long distance psychoanalysis bullshit like you're attempting. You look foolish. 

If that's not the reason for your disrespectful attitude it must be something worse. Last time I mention, it's quite evident for anyone, and if it is not, I don't care.

@GIVEMEREPLAY said:

First things first: it's up to you to show that chicken egg production and the ritual killing of a bull are comparable in the levels of suffering they induce. It strikes me that a chicken producing an egg (something chickens naturally do and which does not harm them) probably involves a lot less suffering that stabbing a bull repeatedly with pikes before finally giving it a mercy killing with a sword. One results in a lot of blood and death, and the other is something chickens do on a daily basis.

That's easy.
 http://strikingattheroots.wordpress.com/2009/09/01/new-investigation-exposes-the-horrors-of-egg-production/
 http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=vegan+mutilated+egg 

While one lives a life of freedom and an hour of suffering the other group lives a life of suffering. As I said before. Will I have to repeat the same arguments over and over? What could cause such an attitude in a person like you? Should I guess?

@GIVEMEREPLAY said:

Secondly, while chickens can certainly produce eggs under non-arbitrary-suffering conditions, it's quite impossible to ritually kill a bull with pikes and a sword without causing unnecessary suffering.  It is perfectly cogent to support eating chicken eggs while opposing the ritual killing of bulls because one can be done wthout suffering and the other cannot.

OK, enforce that those suffering conditions are banned as with bull-fighting. I guess in your own country there are millions of hens suffering, independently of how many bulls suffer. It's the same, you just replaced banning egg consumption with banning egg production with suffering, which doesn't take the debate any further.
trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By trylks
@Detrian: completely agree.
GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY
@Trylks said:  

While one lives a life of freedom and an hour of suffering the other group lives a life of suffering. As I said before. Will I have to repeat the same arguments over and over? What could cause such an attitude in a person like you? Should I guess?   

No need, you've already made your childishness quite evident. 

@GIVEMEREPLAY said:

Secondly, while chickens can certainly produce eggs under non-arbitrary-suffering conditions, it's quite impossible to ritually kill a bull with pikes and a sword without causing unnecessary suffering.  It is perfectly cogent to support eating chicken eggs while opposing the ritual killing of bulls because one can be done wthout suffering and the other cannot.

OK, enforce that those suffering conditions are banned as with bull-fighting. I guess in your own country there are millions of hens suffering, independently of how many bulls suffer. It's the same, you just replaced banning egg consumption with banning egg production with suffering, which doesn't take the debate any further. "
Ok, you got me. I do in fact support regulations against excessive and unnecessary suffering on the part of hens too. Happy now that you've developed a cogent argument which neither equates the suffering of hens and bulls and doesn't require banning the consumption of eggs?
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Jeust
@GIVEMEREPLAY:  

You suggested that it was done contrary to the public will. That's a positive assertion and you'll need some evidence to justify that assertion. I am not asserting that the politicians were acting in response to the public, just that you're incorrect in assuming otherwise.     

I think the article states that most of the spaniards are against the ban, and as so, since the spaniard public is the public will, i think the ban was contrary to the public will. Am i wrong? :p 

Most developed states have rules prohibiting animal cruelty, for obvious reasons. It seems you really are daft enough to deny even that most basic of rights to a sentient being. Not that I'm a vegan, I love my meat, but it also seems quite clear that unnecessary torture is a bad thing.       

You're like D. Quixote fighting windmills. You aren't against unnecessary torture. You are against unnecessary torture that you can throw a finger at. No matter how much you throw a finger on specific cases of animal cruelty, and no matter how much everything changes based on bans, new cases will rise. You cover a hole and two others arise. The meat you eat comes most of the times from animals in captivity, in small spaces with the bare minimum of conditions. Will you advocate for them too? The thing is you can't solve abuse, written a thousand laws. The best attempt at ending it, is through education. It takes longer but enlightenment is better than to forbid, like you do to a child.  

Are you from mars or something? Yes, we educate people that murder is wrong and life is valuable. These are basic lessons taught in every school, by every religion, and by every culture.  Do you propose that we take up a more obvious anti-murder education campaign? What would that look like? Will we all be asked to attend "Why murder is wrong" seminars once a year?     

"We educate people that murder is wrong and life is valuable." How? Through the more and more discredited religion? Through theoretical lessons at school? Or through rules that punish you when you attempt otherwise? Through an economic system where the competitor's life isn't worth shit? Through violent videogames and movies?   

We need positive reinforcement of good behaviours. Something society doesn't do. Why instead of a seminar don't we have a trip to a natural reserve, where we can see the beauty of life outdoors. Outside of busy, stressed and angered environments?   

I was waiting for it to come to this. I appreciate you being forthright with your inane, philosophically juvenile positions. If your sole guiding rule in life is that might makes right we can end this conversation here. It's an axiom without justification, and thereby without the possibility for falsification. I will but note that you almost certainly do not hold this position, as I would imagine you would like to see successful robbers, rapists and murderers tried and punished despite their evidently greater power over their victims.      

ahahaha those successful robbers, rapists and murderers have greater power over their victims yes, but do they hold power over the rest of the concerted society? The answer is no. The same way as the last presidency could enforced Guantanamo. He could despite all the obvious violations of several human rights, because he was in a position of strength. You can deny it all you want, still the being in weaker position is always at the mercy of the one in the stronger, although the scales can change.  

Is this a defense of anarchism? If so, it's still clear that prohibitions on certain undesirable activities will speed up and ensure that ultimate end. In any case if you need evidence of killers who got away with it look no further than the Nazis who lived out their twilight days in Argentina, facing no bad end to account for their bad actions. The same for all unsolved murders, robberies, rapes, etc. Karma is a convenient binky for the oppressed and unexamined (you), but it has far too high a failure rate to be counted as an accurate description of the world.      

No one can escape death, as no one can escape the consequences to their actions. Nazis fled to Argentina, but they are still hunted down because of their crimes. By the allies, by the Jews that survived... If that is something you envy, i pity you.

My God, you are as dumb as a box of rocks.  Yes, that a majority of Spaniards oppose the ban is in the very title of the article. Yet I was not speaking of how many support or oppose the ban, but rather I was citing the statistic that a majority of Spaniards dislike the activity, thus giving lie to your claim that it is respected by a majority of Spaniards. Further, you fail to recognize that a study of Spain generally tells you nothing about what percentage of Catalonians support or oppose the ban (a majority of them might support it, but they are dwarfed by Spaniards in the rest of the country who oppose it), hence why I said that we have no justification to presume how Catalonians feel about the ban until a study is done of the citizens of that area.      

I find your insults amusing. If the activity wasn't respected, and as majority of the public dislikes the activity why are they against it? hmmmm 

Lol do you want to believe that, in Spain, catalonians support the ban, while the rest of the country do not? That the percentage of people that oppose it is so big outside of Catalonia, that the percentage referred in the study could be obtained. It is possible, but highly unlikely. Don't you agree, or do you cling to the last  straw like a dying man?  

@KillerBears said: 

@Jeust:   First of all: Haha, what? Second: Calm down, I was making a tongue-and-cheek reference to a phrase commonly used by libertarians to support the freedom to carry firearms in the USA ("If we outlaw guns, only outlaws will carry guns"). I realize now you aren't from here so you probably didn't get my reference. I was trying to be absurd, not argue. Arguing on the internet is a waste of time... ...But now that you've got me in an arguing mood, yes, I think criminalizing certain things can help solve a problem. Your view of humanity is unrealistic, people suck a lot of the time, especially when they aren't thinking about consequences or are responding to an emotion. I agree that it'd be awesome if we could just demonstrate to people why an idea is bad for them and society as a whole and then have them stop because they realize it's bad. But to think education can realistically stop humans from doing awful things is very idealistic and depends on a vision of humanity that history proves over and over again doesn't really exist. "

I was attempting to say with 

If we outlaw videogames, only outlaws will play videogames...  

How does that sound to you?        

is that, what happens if we from this apparently good ban we move into videogames and don't stop there?  

True, that we can't stop crime by education. But if we can make it so that crime is abominated by general society, by social pressure most crime can be averted. That or we turn into a society of thiefs, murderers, and rapists. Still we are slowing going that direction anyway, so it would be faster if that was to happen.  

I'm not against laws and criminalization. I'm against continuous new bans, and proibitions. Why do we have to continuously reform the system? Can't we make a simple set of social rules that everyone can abide to, and live based on that. Maybe it's naive, still i feel constant new rules and regulations, that only limit and deter human freedom isn't the right way to go.  
trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By trylks
@GIVEMEREPLAY: Great, I assume you let mosquitoes bite you. Who would kill one of those wonderful creatures of God just to avoid the inconvenience of some itch?

I guess that when you have a salary (if that didn't happen yet or if it ever happens) you will be giving all that is not strictly necessary for your life to charity, since that will help to avoid unnecessary suffering to other people.  lol

I assume you only buy eggs with the seal proving that the hens didn't suffer. (Yes, those exist.)

But considering I had to provide you the links I think it is obvious your are clueless on that, and this is over.

The shallow opinion of the majority rules in democracy, oclocracy may I say, and there is where arguments against bull fighting are, since the activities that have worse consequences for the planet, the people, the animals and the life in it and are not even considered to debate are countless. Keeping things shallow, being part of the mass, only makes the problem worse, but when there is no respect to others, the possibility of change is removed, and the problem worsen deeply.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Revolt_of_the_Masses 

For those interested in real philosophy.

For any other reply in this thread, I forward you to read what @Detrian said.

I leave this here, you are free to insult me as much as you want if that makes you happy. And anyone can keep thinking that they are absolutely right no matter what. As I said, I don't get paid for being the teacher of anyone in this forum.

Good luck.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Jeust
@Trylks: 

Good escape. :P

I for myself like debating. And i assume that i'm not completely right, as i'm not completely wrong. Still i like to improve and evolve with discussion. Isn't that the way to solidify our knowledge and to mature our ideas? 

I answer in my leisure and to my convenience, and to what i think is sound and should be discussed. 
De_Bo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By De_Bo

FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#129  Edited By Catolf
@Detrian said:
" Aw look at the big boys bickering with tenets of philosophy instead of arguments based in reality. Big words have never been bigger or emptier.

The fact of the matter is that this is actually not about bullfighting but a desperate attempt from Catalonia at distancing themselves from Spain, trying to gain some sort of own "national" identity by giving away some of their tradition. Everyone arguing about how Catalonia is making a stand for animal rights or any other bullshit is simply wrong and for proof should turn to the fact that Catalonia didn't ban but in fact protected bull runs and "fire bull" events which cause suffering, distress and frequently death to the animals.  I for one couldn't care less about a dumb beast dying but I also wouldn't like this thread getting drowned in ridiculous and sad attempts at discussing the value of life with half baked, high school level knowledge of philosophy. "
Go away.. like.. far away... forever..

@Jeust:@Trylks: 

To you two, Dog Fighting is illegal... you can go to jail for it, as is cock fighting, but I'm going to sit here and think you both are going to say that "These are DEEP in tradition and should be continued, what does the law need to jump in for!"

In reality both of those are very stepped in tradition, witht he animals being beaten, tortured, kicked, forced to breed, things chopped off and for the bitches in dog fighting, their teeth are RIPPED OUT OF THEIR MOUTHS so they can't fight they male sutor. To the point they use stirrups to breed the violent bitch.

Yet these are just animals and has nothing to do with humans, so this is okay right? TRADITION and all...
GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY
@Trylks said:

" @GIVEMEREPLAY: Great, I assume you let mosquitoes bite you. Who would kill one of those wonderful creatures of God just to avoid the inconvenience of some itch?

I guess that when you have a salary (if that didn't happen yet or if it ever happens) you will be giving all that is not strictly necessary for your life to charity, since that will help to avoid unnecessary suffering to other people.  lol

I assume you only buy eggs with the seal proving that the hens didn't suffer. (Yes, those exist.)

But considering I had to provide you the links I think it is obvious your are clueless on that, and this is over.

The shallow opinion of the majority rules in democracy, oclocracy may I say, and there is where arguments against bull fighting are, since the activities that have worse consequences for the planet, the people, the animals and the life in it and are not even considered to debate are countless. Keeping things shallow, being part of the mass, only makes the problem worse, but when there is no respect to others, the possibility of change is removed, and the problem worsen deeply.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Revolt_of_the_Masses 

For those interested in real philosophy.

For any other reply in this thread, I forward you to read what @Detrian said. I leave this here, you are free to insult me as much as you want if that makes you happy. And anyone can keep thinking that they are absolutely right no matter what. As I said, I don't get paid for being the teacher of anyone in this forum. Good luck. "

I hate to say it, but u mad? Why resort to all the strawmen? I'm not a hippie, I'm not a vegan, I love meat. I'm actually chewing chicken right now. I don't have a problem with killing animals, just torturing them.  

And yes, I prefer free range eggs when possible.
Take a rest. You're outclassed.  
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Jeust
@Catolf said:

" @Detrian said:

" Aw look at the big boys bickering with tenets of philosophy instead of arguments based in reality. Big words have never been bigger or emptier.

The fact of the matter is that this is actually not about bullfighting but a desperate attempt from Catalonia at distancing themselves from Spain, trying to gain some sort of own "national" identity by giving away some of their tradition. Everyone arguing about how Catalonia is making a stand for animal rights or any other bullshit is simply wrong and for proof should turn to the fact that Catalonia didn't ban but in fact protected bull runs and "fire bull" events which cause suffering, distress and frequently death to the animals.  I for one couldn't care less about a dumb beast dying but I also wouldn't like this thread getting drowned in ridiculous and sad attempts at discussing the value of life with half baked, high school level knowledge of philosophy. "

@Jeust:@Trylks:   To you two, Dog Fighting is illegal... you can go to jail for it, as is cock fighting, but I'm going to sit here and think you both are going to say that "These are DEEP in tradition and should be continued, what does the law need to jump in for!"  In reality both of those are very stepped in tradition, witht he animals being beaten, tortured, kicked, forced to breed, things chopped off and for the bitches in dog fighting, their teeth are RIPPED OUT OF THEIR MOUTHS so they can't fight they male sutor. To the point they use stirrups to breed the violent bitch.  Yet these are just animals and has nothing to do with humans, so this is okay right? TRADITION and all... "
You could say the same with breeding farms for hens, cows, ...? 

Look at this... 

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Puppy-Breeding-Farm-Conditions-Revealed-Undercover-Filming-Shows-Dogs-In-Tiny-Pens/Article/200908115353929  

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/appalling-conditions-for-dogs-on-longford-puppy-farm-172569.html 

http://hubpages.com/hub/Factory-farming-chickens-and-eggs-appalling-inhumanity-or-necessary-evil     

http://www.wheredopuppiescomefrom.com.au/australian-puppy-mills/alv-investigation-into-aca-breeders-breeding-machines/  

Is this better now? 

Violence is everywhere. And it won't because of any ban that it will stop. The only thing that can make it stop is changing the will of the people involved.  

And if you think that because of being illegal things will stop? You're wrong, as it will rise the risks (of being jailed), but also and probably more the rewards. Banning is easy, acting upon the real causes that's the real problem. 

And like real spaniards said, this measure was political. It wasn't addressed because of the will of the catalonian people, but as Catalonia is pushing towards self-determination. 

The fact of the matter is that this is actually not about bullfighting but a desperate attempt from Catalonia at distancing themselves from Spain, trying to gain some sort of own "national" identity by giving away some of their tradition. Everyone arguing about how Catalonia is making a stand for animal rights or any other bullshit is simply wrong and for proof should turn to the fact that Catalonia didn't ban but in fact  protected  bull runs and "fire bull" events which cause suffering, distress and frequently death to the animals.  

@GIVEMEREPLAY said: 

"I don't have a problem with killing animals, just torturing them. "

You're naive. Do you think people that do of breeding a business so that you can have your chicken care about what you think? Or that they just let the animal live free until they kill them and prepare them for you?  lol  

Take a rest. You're outclassed.      

Tell yourself that. ^^
Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Detrian
@Catolf said:
" @Detrian said:

What's wrong did your pissy dog die or something?
Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Catolf
@Detrian said:
" @Catolf said:
" @Detrian said:

What's wrong did your pissy dog die or something? "
No I just openly don't like you...

@Jeust:  I like how you try and redirect with 'Violance is everywhere, we need education death is death.." That's a crock of shit. You know why? Because people are trying to educate you and you know what your doing? Your not listening.

Your ignoring and blocking.

Thats like sitting there and defending slavery because everyone needs to own something. Slavery was a vast tradition, would you have been glad if it were to continue?

Just because it's animals involved dose not make it any less important. You are ignorant and a part of a community that sticks their fingers in their ears and tries to block out the truth. 

NO puppy mills are not okay.
NO chickens laying eggs aren't torture, they do it naturally all the time.
NO It's not okay for farms to torture thier live stock just because it's food.

Government's are cracking down on cruel treatment of animals because there are more humane was to do things. And I'm glad they are. Now let's get back on topic. The senseless torture of a bull is ludicrous and shouldn't be going on in this day and age. 

And you Sir, or madame, I don't care what your are, are a ignorant fool who would rather violence continue for a moment that you can try and read a book to people who don't give a flying FUCK about life. I'd hate to see if you had any pets because they would be miserable and most likely dying. Not that you'd care.

Make it fair if you want a bull fight.

One man, one bull no help, you know what they can have their flimsy little sword and a cape. That is a sport I'd like to see, you know why? Because the odds are in the bulls favor to mess someone the hell up.

In the end the sport was sick, and I'm glad some measures are begin taken to get rid of it. Or even take the killing/injuring part out of it tot he bull. You want a spetical and a way to keep it around stop murdering a bull in front of people. Keep it classy, you can dodge the bull and do a little dance but don't kill it in front of the people like it's some grand thing. It takes one shot to the skull to kill the brain take out the bull without all the stabbing nonsense.
fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By fwylo

What the fuck? Isn't that their national sport or something?  

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Jeust
@Catolf:  

I like how you try and redirect with 'Violance is everywhere, we need education death is death.." That's a crock of shit. You know why? Because people are trying to educate you and you know what your doing? Your not listening. 

Your ignoring and blocking. 

Thats like sitting there and defending slavery because everyone needs to own something. Slavery was a vast tradition, would you have been glad if it were to continue? 

Just because it's animals involved dose not make it any less important. You are ignorant and a part of a community that sticks their fingers in their ears and tries to block out the truth.      

There are there some things i need to consider, as they are very broad in scope.  

And who is trying to educate me and how? Through bans?  

They can keep them quite frankly. 

Still in here i'm not advocating education for the sake of education, i'm defending education instead of enforced bans because of unknown reasons. I consider them to be violence on the freedom of others, and not a means of educating anyone. Especially because people have always and will always feel attracted to what they don't know, to the forbidden fruit, and as much as people forbid something the more the wanting will rise, also the risks and the profit relating to it. 

Lol and did slavery finish really? or just went underground?  

The thing isn't what is wrong and should perish, but the way to do so. Forbidding for the sake of forbidding isn't good. It should be explained why something is wrong, and given reasons to change. We still have racism, xenophobia, segregation and a lot other of side-effects, not mentioning illegal slavery, just because it is enforced. Not enforcing it, will give rise to more abuse, but also to something we have less access now. Knowledge, knowing the consequences of it, and why it shouldn't happen.   

Because despite advocating how wrong it is the culture of slavery, you haven't seen any. You're speaking on a theoretical point of view only. People to decide have to have freedom to both experiment and learn, and cannot be guided all along the way. 

Why do you know something is bad for you? Because people say so? To know you have to experiment. 

I believe in the welfare of animals, as i've had some pets. The question is not that, is how a subject should be approached. And it is also because of enforced bans, that some measures will never be applied.  

Do you know what i would like? for animals to be free and not in captivity, like my dog. And you why that cannot happen? Because people don't make no effort to comprehend and accept animal existence and their right to be happy. People consider animals like lower being that have that exist for us to use to our own endings. And how will that change, with a ban? No one in their right minds would implement such a thing. In every place humanity has stepped on it has changed it to their own endings. Man has no respect for nature, and how many bans will warrant that? Will any be enough? 

I don't think so. That's where education comes to place. And you say people are trying to educate me, and i don't listen, but truly apart from bans, some informational pamphlet or a more educational tv show (that is rarer by the minute) or an article in the newspaper (which isn't also abundant) there is nothing concerted.  

There are also books, but books aren't by itself anything more than a piece of the puzzle, and by themselves rarely they can offer a complete view about the subject they deal on.  

There isn't concerted effort in educating people past school (including college) . But there are bans!  

But saying no is truly enough? 

Government's are cracking down on cruel treatment of animals because there are more humane was to do things. And I'm glad they are. Now let's get back on topic. The senseless torture of a bull is ludicrous and shouldn't be going on in this day and age.  

Capitalism is a system based on profit. No matter how good intentions can be, if a fairer treatment isn't profitable it will never come to happen.  

Like it is said in some posts above, the senseless torture of a bull will still happen in Catalonia, with other festivities. So is that ban really a measure of conscience by the legislatots or is it something else? This ban has nothing to do with the cruelty of bullfights.  

I don't think discussing education in face of baning is even useful here, as there wasn't a clear desire to end the suffering of bulls, it was just a political stunt. 

And you Sir, or madame, I don't care what your are, are a ignorant fool who would rather violence continue for a moment that you can try and read a book to people who don't give a flying FUCK about life. I'd hate to see if you had any pets because they would be miserable and most likely dying. Not that you'd care.      

Can you stop with the personal insults. I haven't insulted you in case you noticed.  

Violence is impregnated in life. Can you take violence away from society? Can you stop the suffering and death of the poor in face of the wealthier men in the world? Can you stop polution? Or even stop someone to be hurt?  Violence cannot be stopped. And much less with a ban. People can learn to live with it, not without it. Can you imagine a world without any shred of violence i dare you? 

The problem with life is that, especially with globalization, we are easily affect by events around us. People can not give a flying FUCK about life, but sooner or later they will be affected by their own actions. Or am i wrong? People have to learn, and not be treated like big babies, that cannot tread in freedom, as they will mess it up. 

I have a pet now, had many before and all of them were quite happy given their life in captivity.  

And that's your problem - you don't care. You only care about news either for the subject or by the way that it is presented to you. You couldn't care less about others. If you care about something you'll strive to think about it, if you do not, you're much easier stopped.  

Make it fair if you want a bull fight.              

One man, one bull no help, you know what they can have their flimsy little sword and a cape. That is a sport I'd like to see, you know why? Because the odds are in the bulls favor to mess someone the hell up. 

In the end the sport was sick, and I'm glad some measures are begin taken to get rid of it. Or even take the killing/injuring part out of it tot he bull. You want a spetical and a way to keep it around stop murdering a bull in front of people. Keep it classy, you can dodge the bull and do a little dance but don't kill it in front of the people like it's some grand thing. It takes one shot to the skull to kill the brain take out the bull without all the stabbing nonsense.      

I don't want bullfights. But that's not what i'm advocating here. I feel this has become rather pointless... 

All the answers have been given, and if you don't want to consider them. Do not. Live in your fairly tail world where every law that come into existence is good, and people are just giant babies, who mostly don't use diapers anymore, and need to be force fed.

Read this. 

The fact of the matter is that this is actually not about bullfighting but a desperate attempt from Catalonia at distancing themselves from Spain, trying to gain some sort of own "national" identity by giving away some of their tradition. Everyone arguing about how Catalonia is making a stand for animal rights or any other bullshit is simply wrong and for proof should turn to the fact that Catalonia didn't ban but in fact protected bull runs and "fire bull" events which cause suffering, distress and frequently death to the animals. 

This is what the situation is like in Catalonia. And as you can see there is little will to care about the bull's suffering. The ban will end legal bullfights, but won't end the bull's suffering as there are other equally if not crueler activities in the region, besides the illegal bullfights. Also with the lack of the spectacle, bulls will be breed in lesser quantities, and will become rarer. Also generally bull's trained for bullfighting were give better breeding conditions, as they were not trained in masses, but enough for the activity to be profitable. How to balance life and death? 

It will certainly change the panorama of the region. But will it be for the best? I wonder... 

Animals will still be object of violence, and even more so, as they are less useful, And how many will suffer even more as their treaters will have no need for them because of the ban.  

Truth changes the closer or further you look the situation from.    

But consider this. You don't care about the suffering of the animals. You don't care about violence in the world. You care about what the media make you care about. A dog can drop dead next to you, that instead of seeing if he's alive, you will most likely think if he can be transmitting you diseases. People are laughable.  So don't pretend to be a moralist, but instead embrace the fact that you are selfish. The world could end, and you would care little or nothing, if you weren't affected by it.  I'm not saying i'm better though. I'm just saying that is making you care is the spotlight on the matter. 

In face that enough facts have been given already to give a clear view of the mater, i won't continue with this any longer. See whatever you want to see. If you want to believe that by forbidding bullfights in Catalonia, and by protecting bull runs and "fire bull" festivities they are thinking about the welfare of the bull, it's your decision. Or that this ban is for the best. I wish you to have a happy and fruitful life.  

Bye 
TomWhitbrook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By TomWhitbrook
@Jeust: Regarding your position that capitalist systems do not produce unprofitable good, you may wish to look at the example of the Lancashire mill workers during the American Civil War. Principles may triumph over economics in any system.
Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Catolf
@Jeust said:
   But consider this. You don't care about the suffering of the animals. You don't care about violence in the world. You care about what the media make you care about. A dog can drop dead next to you, that instead of seeing if he's alive, you will most likely think if he can be transmitting you diseases. People are laughable.  So don't pretend to be a moralist, but instead embrace the fact that you are selfish. The world could end, and you would care little or nothing, if you weren't affected by it.  I'm not saying i'm better though. In face that enough facts have been given already to give a clear view of the mater, i won't continue with this any longer. See whatever you want to see. If you want to believe that by forbidding bullfights in Catalonia, and by protecting bull runs and "fire bull" festivities they are thinking about the welfare of the bull, it's your decision. I wish you to have a happy and fruitful life.   Bye  "
I don't?

Also I can say your ignorant fool because look at the way you've done this whole thread, like your the right and everyone else's opinion is false. Thats sad. You say your not saying your any better but you do seem to be doing so. And saying I only care about the media is indeed laughable. Perhaps this describes yourself, sir and or madam. I go out of my way to save any animals around my home or in  my view. Would you like the number of the Wildlife folks I've sent baby raccoons to? Hurt doves and hawks, I've tried nursing a groundhog back to health when infested with maggots. So please don't act like you know me.

In any case I shouldn't need to defend what I do and will stay on topic and say the fights are wrong. I've never agreed with them and I'm happy for the ban. I'm not ignorant of the world around me but thinking we are all going to live and run free with the animals won't be happening any time soon.

I do hope in the long run humanity will see error in what it does to animals. I'm not a vegan, but I know the difference between right and wrong, and this is wrong.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Jeust
@TomWhitbrook said:

" @Jeust: Regarding your position that capitalist systems do not produce unprofitable good, you may wish to look at the example of the Lancashire mill workers during the American Civil War. Principles may triumph over economics in any system. "

True, they can. Still do you think principles are standing for much in the current times? I personally feel they getting forgotten. 

@Catolf:  

" @Jeust said:

But consider this. You don't care about the suffering of the animals. You don't care about violence in the world. You care about what the media make you care about. A dog can drop dead next to you, that instead of seeing if he's alive, you will most likely think if he can be transmitting you diseases. People are laughable.  So don't pretend to be a moralist, but instead embrace the fact that you are selfish. The world could end, and you would care little or nothing, if you weren't affected by it.  I'm not saying i'm better though. In face that enough facts have been given already to give a clear view of the mater, i won't continue with this any longer. See whatever you want to see. If you want to believe that by forbidding bullfights in Catalonia, and by protecting bull runs and "fire bull" festivities they are thinking about the welfare of the bull, it's your decision. I wish you to have a happy and fruitful life.   Bye  "

I don't?  Also I can say your ignorant fool because look at the way you've done this whole thread, like your the right and everyone else's opinion is false. Thats sad. You say your not saying your any better but you do seem to be doing so. And saying I only care about the media is indeed laughable. Perhaps this describes yourself, sir and or madam. I go out of my way to save any animals around my home or in  my view. Would you like the number of the Wildlife folks I've sent baby raccoons to? Hurt doves and hawks, I've tried nursing a groundhog back to health when infested with maggots. So please don't act like you know me.  In any case I shouldn't need to defend what I do and will stay on topic and say the fights are wrong. I've never agreed with them and I'm happy for the ban. I'm not ignorant of the world around me but thinking we are all going to live and run free with the animals won't be happening any time soon.  I do hope in the long run humanity will see error in what it does to animals. I'm not a vegan, but I know the difference between right and wrong, and this is wrong. "

ahaha the only people who argued with me was you and another guy. Everyone is speaking against me? The only spaniards that appeared spoke of what i told. If you think you are better informed take another guess.  

And i'm no better it's true, but i strive for it.  

You go to save animals in your view, but how much do you care about what you don't see? The suffering that lingers in the world? Much?

I never said bullfights were good. I said it is wrong baning the activity. Because if we continue baning everything we don't like, or the legislators don't like or feel unfair, even as they are always changing, when will we stop?  Maybe when we have nothing anymore to ban.   

And i'm satisfied with what i learned with this discussion.  

Take care.
TomWhitbrook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By TomWhitbrook
@Jeust: Yeah, yeah I do. They're hardly there, and hardly ever win out, but that's always been the way.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Jeust
@TomWhitbrook said:

" @Jeust: Yeah, yeah I do. They're hardly there, and hardly ever win out, but that's always been the way. "

true true, but i think we are getting more materialistic, and with that less prone to following principles.  In the time that you lived do you think principles are being more or less considered as time moves forward?
TomWhitbrook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By TomWhitbrook
@Jeust: I don't know, to be honest. I was born just a few years before the end of the cold war, when the demise of the east/west narrative has led to a collapse in the sense of what is right and wrong. Not that people are more or less moral than they were during the cold war or before, on either side of the equation, but that sense of knowing where you stood in that dialectical struggle made it appear as though moral principle was less muddy than it is today. But I don't think were doing any worse. We're living in the age of people like Lech Walesa, Gorbachev, Mandela, Harry Schwarz, Romeo Dallaire. You've just got to keep on keeping on.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Jeust
@TomWhitbrook said:

" @Jeust: I don't know, to be honest. I was born just a few years before the end of the cold war, when the demise of the east/west narrative has led to a collapse in the sense of what is right and wrong. Not that people are more or less moral than they were during the cold war or before, on either side of the equation, but that sense of knowing where you stood in that dialectical struggle made it appear as though moral principle was less muddy than it is today. But I don't think were doing any worse. We're living in the age of people like Lech Walesa, Gorbachev, Mandela, Harry Schwarz, Romeo Dallaire. You've just got to keep on keeping on. "

You're right. You know time is a difficult thing to access well, as people's memories are subjective and history books are in a great deal flawed narratives. :) 

Thanks for sharing your honest opinion. 
AnnouncerGXZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By AnnouncerGXZ

fuck animal cruelty.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Catolf
@Jeust:  You know, i think I could be a humanitarian, who's saved countless lives in Africa and so on and so fourth and you'd just counter with "You didn't do anything for these people over here ect ect" I think you set the standared too high to ever be pleased, you'll always have some witty.. or not so witty counter which makes you 'right'

So, I'll say this.

I'm satisfied with who I am and what I stand for.

People and other animals need to eat, I feed my lizards insects I farm and frozen baby mice. Yup.. but if I see an animal in need i'm quick to jump to the aid. Is that a little contradictory? Yes, but my pets need to eat, and so do I. Is the frozen mice plights any greater than my lizards, most likely not, but mice don't eat Lizards, Lizards eat mice, circle of life and all. XP