• 72 results
dantheman1515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By dantheman1515

Dude UCSB is 10K a year plus room and board, books, etc. California is really good about financial aid, so I'm getting tuition covered. But everything else is on my own tab. It really blows man. But just do the work and it will work out better in the end. Your parents are doping what mine are doing, they are trying to teach us how to survive on our own.

SkyMasterson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By SkyMasterson
@Rasgueado said:
" @MiamiRedHawks said:
" Big deal kid. I payed $60,000 for my college education with no help. "
Did you? Did they have an English department? "

lol owned. $60,000 well spent I see.
foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By foggel

You can study abroad for free, I think. Where tax payers pay for the tuition.

Stefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 27

#54  Edited By Stefan

Most universities in Germany are state owned and free at least in my state. Well, almost free I pay like 450€ a year and I also get a ticket for public transportation (which works really well in Germany) and some other aid (lawyer in case you need one, people who look after your kids while you are studying and so on...). I don't know how universities work in other English speaking countries but maybe you should consider studying abroad, this might even be fun. 

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#55  Edited By WalkerTR77

Being Scottish has finally paid off in that my fee's are paid as long as I go to a Scottish University.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#56  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Yeah so college is pretty much the beginning of money troubles. Things get much more interesting later on.

Always be stamping.

vinnylegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By vinnylegs

Tuition at college is nothing compared to rent+food+beer. If you live at home when going to college you should having nothing to complain about. University is of course a different story.  

My tuition for a year is half of my rent, so if you don't pay rent stop complaining. I assume you won't because you are going to a local college. A summer job will pay for your college tuition easily. 

To everyone else this is Canada I'm talking about by the way, where University and College are not the same.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#58  Edited By Bruce
@MooseyMcMan:  

You got academic scholarships probably, not financial aid. Financial aid (literally) is the amount the government distributes to poorer people based on their families' income. 

You can have shit grades in high school and still go to college completely free if your parents are poor--- at least in NYC.
DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By DG991

What pisses me off is my college raised tuition just because they added crappy low resolution signs around the outside of the campus to announce events and stuff. Grrr... they look so crappy and they are so damn expensive.  

I live off campus cause living on campus is too expensive. 

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By monetarydread
@Meteora: 
As someone who also lives in BC I have to say you should go to EI. I went to them saying that I am stuck in a dead end job and now EI is paying for my college, Car insurance, housing, and giving me $250 a week living expenses for food and entertainment. Because of the economy right now the government is just giving away money so it can get people educated and put in real paying jobs. Since the government is just giving it away even though private companies are charging they aren't allowed to advertise things like this, which sucks.
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#61  Edited By Animasta

I almost had to pay a 3000 non residence fee, despite living here a year; my fault really, I never got the shit together until the very end. I didn't have to pay the fee in the end though.

Community college, but eh, whatevs. Languages are always useful :P

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By monetarydread

Don't suppose you play soccer at all? My sister went to Langara as well because they have easily the best sports programs and facilities in the province.

rflx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By rflx

You could study here in Denmark, education here is free (probably only for european nationals though, haven't looked into it). And this place is pretty much like Canada from what I hear, so you should feel right at home ;)
 Anyway, tuition fees do indeed suck. I just recieved an invoice for a tuition fee for 1700 GBP for an education in the UK I tried out for a couple of months, and then left.. basically I have to pay for having hung out in their building for a few weeks. Nice.
 Good luck with it all though. And just remember, before you know it, these annoyances you have now will just be a faint memory.

Cheers.

RaceKickfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#64  Edited By RaceKickfist
@Meteora said:
" @LiquidPrince: Langara College. Its just a local college. 

Funny thing was, I set my eyes on going into the Arts Institute to learn about game design, but my dad says it was too expensive and that its a rip off. Now that I'm paying for my own shit, it kinda pisses me off even more that I didn't go to AI. Could be for the better though, not sure if I can even land a job for game design.
"
Game and animation jobs look at your demo reels and your engine builds and w/e. not so much your degree. they wont turn down someone who does kickass work because "you dont have a degree." the market is flooded with degree-toting medocrity, so you have just as good a chance of landing a gig from learning on your own and doing your own thing than going to school for it. plus you'd have a back-up career ready to go. is it easy? no, and its not fun. I got a degree in computer animation, and while its different than game design (asset generation is pretty much the only overlap here) its pretty apparent that getting jobs in this industry is difficult. I'm way blessed to have the job I have, and I attribute my getting that more to God than to my own talent/experience.  

Plus, student loan debt is terrifying. absolutely terrifying. 

Good luck to ya.
lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#65  Edited By lazyturtle

I'd say I feel some sympathy for you...but I don't. I had to take out 30k of loans AND work 4 days a week (the other three in classes) to go to school. 
 Getting an interest free loan from your parents is great. Having a family job is great (even if its a boring job). 

Bottom line is this: If you are having a hard time finding a job after school, your parents aren't going to ruin your credit.  

You could also try and apply for grants (Which you don't have to pay back) or scholarships. Either way, don't bitch. You're on easy street.

kabuto202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By kabuto202

You're kidding me right? I wish I was in your position. Here's where I'm sitting:

Family used to be rich, father lost a bunch of money on the stock market, family is broke. Father is retired, mother is bankrupt (AKA No credit worthy cosigners.). High-School decides they don't want the current schedule, switches it around, I go down from 8 classes a year to 7, completely fucks over my prerequisites (I can't take the classes that I need), I'm no longer qualified for half of my financial aid. I'm working at McDonalds. I get to take out the following loans up too 12k a year from the government no annual rate, and then the rest up too 50k a year from a private bank with a roughly %14 APR because I don't have a credit worthy cosigner. RPI costs 50k a year for tuition + room and board, not including lab fees, ect. Oh did I mention I'm going for a Bachelor's degree? What does that mean? In best case scenario I will have to pay the following: ((((32k + %14) + 32k + %14) + 32K + %14) + 32K +%14). 

Moral of the story: Some one is always worse off then you. Be grateful that you're not working at McDonalds. Be grateful you're getting a loan with no APR and from your father that you can extend as much as he will let you, which I can guess is a lot. Be grateful that your high school did not fuck you over. I'm not complaining about my problems, and you're waaay better off then me so you shouldn't complain about yours either =/

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#67  Edited By meteora

Blah, I hate it how some people like to revive my blogs. I want them to stay dead because there's always someone else who will tell me to "grow a pair" or that I"m better off than some other people... 

Please stop posting. The issue has been resolved when I talked further with my dad. I'm in a better position than what this thread has said, so this blog is now irrelevant and outdated.

Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Damien
@kabuto202: No offense, but it sounds to me like you're complaining.
kabuto202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By kabuto202

@Damien: Nah, I'm just pointing out that there's people in a worse situation then she was, myself as the example, I've already gotten over it. 

@Meteora: I'm glad that things are going better for you. Wish you luck! :3

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#70  Edited By Tireyo

Yes, college fees do suck.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#71  Edited By gingertastic_10

After financial aid, and one loan. I only have to pay back 2000 bucks, which transfers to 224 bucks a month. Not too bad, my parents say they got that covered though. Thank god.  

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By DG991
@kabuto202: My mother threw my Gameboy out the front door when I was 11. I don't wanna hear it. I am still going to therapy because of it.