E for me

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By Suicrat
@spazmaster666: I did not claim it was written by Romans. I claimed it was written by the Eastern Roman Empire. Which, admittedly, is not entirely correct, it is more accurate to say it was compiled and edited by the Eastern Roman Empire. (And of course the version to which English speakers refer today was re-edited by the commission of King James I.

But you made a far more outrageous claim, that the belief in the resurrection is justified historically. There is no documentary evidence of that, only The Bible. The Bible cannot contain proof of the resurrection for the same reason Newton's Principia Mathematica does not contain proof of gravity. They're just words on pages. Principia Mathematica on the other hand does contain documentation for how Newton arrived at the conclusion known as the law of gravity, and his methods are laid out in such exhaustive detail that they can be replicated. Whereas the new Testament tells us that on the third day, Jesus is risen. That is a fable, that is not evidence of anything.

@adam_grif: Great post, other Adam. Though if we're going to be talking about the impossibility of agnosticism, we also need to talk about the impossibility of God itself. God by definition is an impossibility. One can harbour unfounded beliefs about things that happen, have happened, or will happen within the universe, but to posit a belief of something outside of the universe (i.e., supernatural) has any semblance of validity is blasphemous in a religious sense and intellectually dishonest in from the standpoint of sentential logic.

As I said earlier:

Agnosticism is indeed a contradiction, spazmaster666 is right about that. Gnosis is knowledge. Sure, those who claim agnosticism are right that no one can honestly claim to have knowledge of something supernatural (like a God, for example) but the logical conclusion of that clause is not "I have no knowledge" -- which is logically what you are saying when you say "I am agnostic" -- the logical conclusion of that clause is actually "There is no God".

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#103  Edited By CL60

I believe in scientific facts. In my opinion god was created to explain the unexplainable. That's it.

"We don't know how this works so it must be a god"

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#104  Edited By zeforgotten
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#105  Edited By natetodamax

I believe in the three little pigs and the big bad wolf because it said so in this book I once read.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#106  Edited By JJWeatherman

E, FTMFW! That's a lot of letters.   :P

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#107  Edited By KowalskiManDown

Used to be agnostic. But after much thought and debate with others, I've concluded that I'm an Atheist.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#108  Edited By Sambambo

I used to be an athiest, and while I still dont really believe in the whole Jesus, Adam and Eve stuff, I think that there probably is something out there.

I voted Agnostic

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#109  Edited By Karmum

It's between Agnostic and Atheism. I'll go with E, because I don't believe in a god. I'm pretty much in the middle of the two, though. I think that there is a good chance there isn't a "god" out there. Perhaps it's recently being heckled for not believing in a god that has made me choose E so suddenly.

Whatever man, although the two are different, when it comes down to the ultimate question, you either don't think there is a god or you just don't know.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#110  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I'm an Agnostic Atheist. I don't believe there is a god, however I admit that is impossible for me to know for sure.

Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#111  Edited By Marzy

Agnostic, for me.

Avatar image for krystal_sackful
Krystal_Sackful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Krystal_Sackful

See, what I don't get is why Confucianism is even on there. Confucianism is a secular philosophy wholly separate from religion.There can be Jewish Confucians, Muslim Confucians, Atheist Confucians, etc. But I don't think anyone would put Confucianism before any of those. 

eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By eric_buck

Funny story, I actually have the body of a God. Unfortunately, it's Buddha.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#114  Edited By spazmaster666

@Suicrat said:

" @spazmaster666: I did not claim it was written by Romans. I claimed it was written by the Eastern Roman Empire. Which, admittedly, is not entirely correct, it is more accurate to say it was compiled and edited by the Eastern Roman Empire. (And of course the version to which English speakers refer today was re-edited by the commission of King James I.

But you made a far more outrageous claim, that the belief in the resurrection is justified historically. There is no documentary evidence of that, only The Bible. The Bible cannot contain proof of the resurrection for the same reason Newton's Principia Mathematica does not contain proof of gravity. They're just words on pages. Principia Mathematica on the other hand does contain documentation for how Newton arrived at the conclusion known as the law of gravity, and his methods are laid out in such exhaustive detail that they can be replicated. Whereas the new Testament tells us that on the third day, Jesus is risen. That is a fable, that is not evidence of anything.

You claimed that the New Testament was not written by Jews, which of course is incorrect as many, if not all of the original writers were in fact Jews (as I've said before, the first Christians were Jews). You are correct in saying that the version of the New Testament as it exists today was decided upon by early Christians in the third and fourth century. (Though you make it sound as if they actually modified the text which is not the case, they simply got rid of questionable documents that had little to no connection to the original apostles)

Also there is actually plenty of evidence that points to Christ's resurrection as an actual historical event. Of course if you're going down this road then we can say that nothing in history is truly "provable" as history as we know it is made up of the various historical texts from each time period, of which we have determined to be reliable. I never said that the Bible "proves" the resurrection (how do you "prove" history?), merely that the New Testament is as reliable as it gets when it comes to events that occurred in first century Palestine. Historians have put far more faith in much older texts with much lower reliability than the New Testament. Yet just because some aspects of the New Testament may contain "supernatural" events, it is discounted as being fictional. Scholastic dishonesty at its best.

If you want to claim that the New Testament is not a reliable historical document then fine. It's just that the majority of scholars in the field would disagree with you.
tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#115  Edited By tebbit

D BABY! Smokin' it up in... FOURTH!? 

Is it really strong Agnostic, or just weak Atheist? 

@MattyFTM said:

" I'm an Agnostic Atheist. I don't believe there is a god, however I admit that is impossible for me to know for sure. "
Sounds good to me.
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#116  Edited By Red12b
@Eric_Buck said:
"Funny story, I actually have the body of a God. Unfortunately, it's Buddha. "

Hahahahaha, Hahahahaha 

You have made my day cheers man
wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

#117  Edited By wwfundertaker

I believe in God and also respect other peoples beliefs

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#118  Edited By Soap

E) As I'm not thick enough to believe the crap that most religions come up with.

Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's always an enormous amount of atheists on video game forums. 

A

adam_grif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By adam_grif
@Suicrat: 

Claiming you have no knowledge is not necessarily the implication of being an "agnostic". Agnostic does indeed literally translate to "not-knowledge" or similar things, but it is generally referring to degrees of certainty and things like that. Everybody here "has knowledge of God" in the sense that they have declarative knowledge about a concept that as the name "God". What nobody here has, however, is certain knowledge of a specific aspect of this concept, which is "does it exist?" 

Since nobody here has certain knowledge of just about anything (an inevitable consequence of philosophical skepticism), the term agnostic would be a meaningless descriptor unless it is further narrowed. Thusly, we say one is agnostic if they believe that they do not have knowledge of God's existence, believe that nobody has or that nobody can. One who believes that they themselves are God thusly believes they have "certain knowledge of God's existence", and would not be agnostic. One who has claimed to directly experience miracles is in the same boat with them. 

By contrast, "agnostics" consists of people who do not claim to have certain knowledge one way or the other, which turns out to be most people. "Gnostic" Atheists (I hesitate to use "gnostic" as the inverse of "agnostic" because there is a religion that has adopted the name gnosticism, "gnostic" thus has dual meanings in this regard) exist, but not in numbers as great as "gnostic" theists. 

Agnostic Atheism may be seen as the "default position" for the reasonable person. It is inoffensive, makes no claims (and thus has nothing to substantiate, does not suffer from burden of proof) and is open to anything as long as you back up your claims with evidence and good reasoning.
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#121  Edited By armaan8014
Well i do believe in a god, a god who forgives all and loves all..  I'm not entirely sure whether i see him as an old guy in the sky or something else, but he's more of a force whose presence can be felt if you're looking for him.. I believe that meditation is a way of communicating with him and it opens all doors to seeing all his powers and all (cuz my father meditates and man.. he can see stuff)
Mostly i feel his power in nature and the universe, and i think that a human needs to only do a few things in his/her life : 
-Always remain happy, avoid anger, depression sadness etc. , - see life as an awesome gift,  -don't harm other living beings, -TRY to love all,  -Never take tension,  -always believe in yourself ( you are awesome and can do ANYTHING),  - don't get involved with alcohol etc., -have faith in a higher power(will keep u stabilized in tough times) , -meditate(if you really want some answers and wanna see some magic in life.. will also help in following the other mentioned steps),  -and just do what you love and enjoy life under all circumstances.
These are the basic things i follow, and there's a lot more that i don't remember right now, and a lot more i've got to learn..
I kind of chose G , cause some of my things coincide with their beliefs and also cause i find them awesome.. (but they don't believe in a god i think...)
Anyway,  everyone's beliefs are cool, you just gotta have fun..  
Thing is i don't believe in some astrological crap and stuff like future predictions and lucky stones and whatever people use to make money..

wait.. i'm a little confused now..
coolfurby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By coolfurby

anyone in here who is not christian i shall pray for you

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
@TheJollyRajah said:

" I think both A and E are dumb choices. You can't know if there is a god or if there is not a god. That's why I go with C.  But by the modern definition, I'm an atheist. The definition in this poll is wrong, because not all atheists claim there is no god. They just simply have no reason to believe in one. "

this, but E
s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#124  Edited By s-a-n-JR

Internet forums and discussions about religion do not mix. Like water and oil.
bloodredreaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By bloodredreaper
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#126  Edited By Jeust

I'm deist and buddhist at the same time, though i don't adhere to group practices. 

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#127  Edited By penguindust
@lilburtonboy7489 said:
" There's always an enormous amount of atheists on video game forums.  A "
My same exact thoughts.  But that's okay since in the regular world, most people claim to have a belief in some sort of higher being. 
Avatar image for psyborg0815--DEFUNCT
psyborg0815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By psyborg0815

I believe in pancakes.
 I mean E.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#129  Edited By dbz1995

I believe in a god, but he will send us to heaven or hell dependant on what we as a society think is a good or bad thing.

JokerClown88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By JokerClown88

A for me.
diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#131  Edited By diz
@PenguinDust said:
" @lilburtonboy7489 said:
My same exact thoughts.  But that's okay since in the regular world, most people claim to have a belief in some sort of higher being.  "
Not in all countries.  

Agnostic atheism is on the rise in Europe. It's a majority view in Northern Europe. 

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By ajamafalous

E.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By penguindust
@diz:   True enough, but in North America which is where I am most familiar my statement was true and globally it remains true as well.  There is no denying that in specific regions agnostic atheism is increasing, but as a whole more people tend to believe in "something."
Chipset_Seven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Chipset_Seven

Our god might have been an alien who scattered living microbes into the oceans many millions of years ago that evolved into what we are today.  Then again, his god probably had to make suns and planets across infinite space.  So I'd say the creation of everything  was as a result of one crafty individual. 

By the way - I chose A. 
Mooshu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Mooshu

Agnostic for me.

There is no strong evidence to prove or disprove the existence of a god, so they way I see it: we humans just don't fucking know. So it isn't my place to judge.

Poppycock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Poppycock

How should I know if God exists? I haven't even seen conclusive evidence that Norway exists

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By nanikore

No spaghetti monster options? The fuck, man?

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By diz
@PenguinDust said:

" @diz:   True enough, but in North America which is where I am most familiar my statement was true and globally it remains true as well.  There is no denying that in specific regions agnostic atheism is increasing, but as a whole more people tend to believe in "something." "

Your introspective nationalist view is quite common. What's the percentage of Americans that don't own a passport? 

Actually, athiesm is on the rise globally, including the States.  You may also consider Buddhism an atheist belief, since there is no central deity.  

Christianity is pretty fractured, with many diverse groups (JW, Catholic, Mormon, Gnostic, Calvanist, etc) calling themselves Christian, while accusing the others of not being. In terms of Global beliefs, there are nearly as many Muslims (21%) as there are Christians (33%) The non-religious and Buddhists combined would make an up 22%. I think that means there are more people that disagree with the idea of Christianity than agree with it. 

Also, as an agnostic atheist, I do believe in something - just not religion.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By penguindust
@diz:  Yes, but I never singled out Christianity as the predominant faith, I only said that most people believe in some sort of higher power.  In fact, I never mentioned Christianity at all.  Nor did I ever disparage atheism in any of my replies. 
JoeOE18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By JoeOE18
@adam_grif said:
"

Attention all people in this thread:

The poll is BS. Why? ...  
While you certainly make some excellent points, I think perhaps your forgetting the idea that these terms have taken on a life of their own. As much as their social application might be at odds with strict definitions, the fact that they have that social application imbues them with alternative meaning. 'Atheism', 'Agnosticism', and 'Theism' are taken to refer to general viewpoints. 'Theism', quite simply, being anyone with a religious belief, 'Atheism' being anyone with a belief that there is no God, and 'Agnosticism' to refer to those who feel they are unable to make a concrete decision either way. The poll is basically asking: 'What kind of general viewpoint do you most closely associate yourself with?' 

I agree with you that, technically, 'Agnostic' is not at odds with either 'Athiest' or 'Theist' - in terms of how they were traditionally defined. However, consistent use of them in the way I referenced above has altered what they mean. The error has become so widespread that it has ceased to be error. The fact that so many people in this thread quite happily associate themselves with Agnosticism, in opposition to both Theism and Atheism, seems to evidence this. It seems that you also feel such a change is underway. Like it or not, language alters and mutates and that's exactly what's happening with these terms.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By ryanwho

Why would a "strong agnostic" believe there probably isn't a god?

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Otacon

D: strong agnostic, because I am 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% percent sure there isn't a God, and whilst I still class myself as an atheist, I think it would be foolish to categorically say there isn't a God as a factual claim as no one can make that claim... yet.

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By diz
@PenguinDust said:
" @diz:  Yes, but I never singled out Christianity as the predominant faith, I only said that most people believe in some sort of higher power.  In fact, I never mentioned Christianity at all.  Nor did I ever disparage atheism in any of my replies.  "
Sorry - I took an inference that you thought atheists don't believe in anything, since you said "more people tend to believe in something". 

I am trying to point out that there really is no dominant global belief system, but many competing ones. Since atheism isn't a faith, but a rational belief system, I find it interesting to note the global decline of faith and rise of rationalism and scientific thinking.   
teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By teh_pwnzorer

I voted for E, because agnostics are pansies...but for the sake of philosophical correctness, I'm usually between D and E. 

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#145  Edited By flaminghobo
Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Akeldama

Nihilist with Atheistic tendencies  

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By grilledcheez
Avatar image for outofbounds9000
OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#148  Edited By OutOfBounds9000

35 percent of Giantbombs members are atheist....

Im deist,there is a god,but he absolutely dont interfere.

twillfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By twillfast

"Don't know" ain't a very good description of an agnostic, even though it's the most likely description you'll hear.
 I'd rather say it's "Knows you can't know".

For example, I don't believe in god or heaven or hell, but that doesn't make me an atheist.
If you're an atheist you know there is no god, just like monotheists know there is a god.
Now, as an agnostic, I believe there is no god, but I can't prove it and thus can't know it.

Wildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Wildcard
@PenguinDust said:
" @lilburtonboy7489 said:
My same exact thoughts.  But that's okay since in the regular world, most people claim to have a belief in some sort of higher being.  "
"But that's okay since..." Wait.. so lots of atheists on a video game forum would be a BAD thing if that weren't the case? Huh? Because religion really matters when it comes to discussing games...?

From my own experiences with friends and family I've noticed many people when asked personally will answer atheist or agnostic, but they'll still go to weddings, celebrate religious holidays, etc. I'm the same. Perhaps that gives the impression that we all believe in some sort of higher being on a surface level, but the fact of the matter is we do those things because they are community or family events, not because they are religious. I have no problem with exchanging gifts with friends and family on Christmas, for example. I'm certainly not going to be thinking of Jesus Christ in any capacity while doing so (except perhaps to say something like "Christ, I really don't like that Away in a Manger song", but I think holidays such as Christmas are great times.

In any event, I went with Strong Agnostic, thinking it to be the closest to Agnostic Atheist the poll offers, but I've got to agree with the people who said "oh em gee! agnostic doesn't really belong here blah blah blah". Some of them were practically foaming at the mouth as they were denouncing the poll... it was sort of scary. Gods above and below, it's a friggin' poll on a video game site. Get over yourselves.