Do you have trouble acknowledging problems and criticism of things you like?

• 58 results
Slang_N_Bang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you have trouble acknowledging problems and criticism of things you like? (181 votes)

Yes 9%
No 59%
If I love something, then it doesn't have problems 7%
I'm mature 35%
I define myself by my hobbies, criticism of those hobbies is a personal attack 4%
I can dig it 28%

For example, I can enjoy an anime, while still being creeped out by the overt sexualization of a very young girl. I don't feel any desire to defend this aspect of the anime or Japanese media in general, I can see with my own two eyes that it's fucked, but I can still enjoy the show. Same thing when xenophobic and ultra conservative values show up in an action movie or a game I love, or some of those "ism" words.

• 
big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

I try hard not to but yes sometimes I do.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

If we're talking entertainment, a lot of my favorite things are also blatantly flawed in one way or another. I really like Pacific Rim. Pacific Rim is not necessarily a "great" movie. I like Dragon's Dogma. I fully understand why someone would not like Dragon's Dogma.

If anything, I have trouble dealing with people really liking things that I unabashedly hate. I've been trying to get better about that, but any time anyone has anything positive to say about The Secret Life of Walter Mitty I still start foaming at the mouth. THAT MOVIE IS TERRIBLE AND IS ABOUT NOTHING AND YOU ARE ALL WRONG.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By alwaysbebombing

I apologetically love The Order

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By chrissedoff

@arbitrarywater said:

If we're talking entertainment, a lot of my favorite things are also blatantly flawed in one way or another. I really like Pacific Rim. Pacific Rim is not necessarily a "great" movie. I like Dragon's Dogma. I fully understand why someone would not like Dragon's Dogma.

If anything, I have trouble dealing with people really liking things that I unabashedly hate. I've been trying to get better about that, but any time anyone has anything positive to say about The Secret Life of Walter Mitty I still start foaming at the mouth. THAT MOVIE IS TERRIBLE AND IS ABOUT NOTHING AND YOU ARE ALL WRONG.

I have the same problem. Honestly, it never gets under my skin when somebody trashes something I love unless it's from somebody who is being really merciless about it and has, in the recent past, earnestly rhapsodized about something that is objectively terrible. Then I'm miffed. Over the years, I've learned to (usually) maintain my silence unless it's about something political, then it's really just up to what kind of mood I'm in and how much free time I have that day.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, anyone who enjoys Bay's Transformers movies for any reason is incorrect.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

No unless it's something objectively flawless like Vagrant Story (which I haven't heard anything negative about in like 10+ years). At some point you stop caring what other people think, that's the height of maturity apparently.

wsowen02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#57  Edited By wsowen02

Depends on how it is presented.

For instance, I loved Dragon Age 2. I recognize it is a flawed game and if someone wants to say "I didn't like DA2 because of the repetitive environments, smaller scope, lack of meaningful choices, etc." I'm fine with that and am more than happy to have a discussion about it.

But when someone just says "Game is garbage, LOL", it's hard to consider that person someone worth talking to.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By ripelivejam

@hh: like shinji in evangelion. He's a fucked up character and not meant to strive to an ideal or be someone you want to hang out with. It makes him 1000x more relateable in my case. But yeah i can usually realize the flaws in things i love *grudgingly* (i.e. nolan's interstellar)

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yes ... because people tends to equate not liking something with bad which is not the same thing ... or when they complain when they cant relate to the main protagonist (Lighting comes to mind) and then proceed to say it is a poorly written or terrible character so on and forth. Yet these same people claim for diversity....sheesh.

Funilly when it comes to black metal ... I know people will never like that genre and it is fine by me if they bitch and moan and belittle it for whatever reason , I just like so much that I dont care they dont , even more so that I find black metal to be the sorth of sountrack of my life ina aweird way (its hard to explain ... its just the right sounds etc that fits my life .... think of it of how thw sountrack of castlevania symphony of the night fits that game flawlessly, or something like that its hard to explain) but i dunno why Im so ok when it comes to this but other things I go ballistc (well not literally).

Also when people just dismmiss something as old and hence not worth your time ..... most people just dont want to give a chance to stuff other stuff than the now now now stuff.

IllCaesar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I couldn't function if I didn't. My favourite game is Far Cry 2, which has one of the most divisive user ratings I've ever seen on the site. Its something like a 40/20/40 split for Positive/Mixed/Negative reviews. That said, I get irked when people dismiss things I like for thoughtless reasons, say, somebody says a show I like looks like "kiddie garbage".

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#61  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

This thread just reminded me that I thought Tom Chick's really critical review of the original Deus Ex was great. He was spot on about pretty much all the flaws he pointed out. Doesn't change the fact that it's one of my all time favorite games, but that game has some pretty glaring flaws, which made the violent backlash Chick got for that review kinda shocking for me back then.

By the way, before submitting the review, I doublechecked with my editor about review scores. Gamecenter was using the 1-10 scale. Not the 7-9 scale, they insisted! Even back then, I resisted the idea of the 1-10 scale being a 7-9 scale (that particular battle has long since been lost, of course). So while writing the Deus Ex review, I verified with my editor that a 5 would be an average game and not necessarily a negative score. He confirmed. So I sent in the Deus Ex review with a 3. I figured it was a couple notches below average. Man, can you imagine a 3 these days? No one’s going to use a 3 on any game that doesn’t cost $19.99 or less.