Do you like Sushi? (Question of the Day 2-1-11)

• 63 results
astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By astrotriforce
Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Enigma777

As long as there's no eel in it.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By ch3burashka

I fucking love sushi. I'm thinking about learning how to make some; doesn't look too hard. 

Is there any meat sushi? I haven't seen any, but there's gotta be, right?

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#4  Edited By KillyDarko

There are so many types of sushi... I love some, I hate some. It depends, really.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Nope.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Daveyo520

Yes, very much so.

MisterDunlap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By MisterDunlap

It really depends on the sushi in question. 

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By crusader8463

Never had it, but seeing as how I have yet to eat seafood that I like the taste of I will just assume no.

dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By dietmango
@CH3BURASHKA said:  

Is there any meat sushi? I haven't seen any, but there's gotta be, right? "

Yup.

SoylentGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SoylentGreen

Sushi is great, but you have to know where the fish came from. Some areas of the ocean are more polluted than others, and can lead to a higher mercury content in the fish. Mercury leads to brain disorders, so just watch out.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By mrfizzy

No, i can't stand it. I'v eaten a lot of very different foods in my time and really enjoyed most of them but i really can't get into sushi. The stickyness of the rice and the toughness of the seaweed is what ruins it for me. I don't have a problem with the raw fish part of it tho. Maybe i just had a bad experience.  

Avatar image for shadowknight508
ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ShadowKnight508
@KillyDarko said:
" There are so many types of sushi... I love some, I hate some. It depends, really. "
Pretty much this. I enjoy many of the various types of sushi, but some I can not stand.
triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By triple07

Yes but with reservations. It needs to be good quality sushi, none of that grocery store sushi and a lot of it I can't really handle (eel for instance).

d_breeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By d_breeze

if there is crab in it I'll eat it, but I don't like fish...

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've loved all that I've tried. 

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By benpack

No.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By buzz_clik

Yup, totes do.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By JJOR64

Never tried it.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By Skald

Yessir. 

Not that enthusiastic about it, but it's still good. 
Not that enthusiastic about it, but it's still good. 
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By iam3green
@CH3BURASHKA said:
" I fucking love sushi. I'm thinking about learning how to make some; doesn't look too hard. 

i would say there could be beat in sushi. all i see is sushi is just rice around something. something that i don't get is when people think sushi they think uncooked food. 

it's alright it has some good things there. there is a sushi place that i see every week when i get gas. i am thinking about going there some time.
apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#21  Edited By apathylad

Sushi's damn expensive, but I'll eat some. 

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#22  Edited By Pepsiman

Sushi is something I'll eat to be social if I'm eating out at a Japanese place with friends, but it's by no means my favorite type of Japanese food. I'm a lot more content to chow down on some tenpura or curry croquette. They're simple, but fantastically wholesome dishes. That being said, I'm a sucker for octopus and tuna when it comes to my sushi. No wasabi, though. Even the major in me has my limits.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By captain_clayman

i havent tried to much of the weirder sushi but everything i've tried i liked.  mostly various rolls and stuff

Robiin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Robiin

My favorite type of food. I love it. I tasted it once in the US (some place in Orlando, I believe, long time ago), and it tasted like crap. But the sushi place near my home in Sweden is incredible.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Pepsiman
@iam3green said:
" @CH3BURASHKA said:
" I fucking love sushi. I'm thinking about learning how to make some; doesn't look too hard. 

i would say there could be beat in sushi. all i see is sushi is just rice around something. something that i don't get is when people think sushi they think uncooked food.   it's alright it has some good things there. there is a sushi place that i see every week when i get gas. i am thinking about going there some time. "
Making proper, high quality sushi is a combination of quality ingredients, technique, and, like a lot of Japanese food, pleasant aesthetics. There's actually a lot more to the process than what you might at first presume, even sitting at the chef's station in restaurants, especially if you're doing the entire thing from scratch. It's not unheard of to spend long stretches of time studying and refining the technique; I've even heard of guys taking five years of dedicated training to do it well. It all probably tastes the same regardless to a lot of people, but I thought I'd mention it. There are enough delicate steps in making sushi from what I know and have experienced with Japanese ingredients that I have no desire to attempt it myself.
Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By ShadowConqueror

I'll eat anything that gets sad when they kill it.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JP_Russell

I've never tried it and never will.  I don't trust raw meat for anything (nor do I have any interest in tasting it).  You get salmonella once, you don't ever wanna get it again.
tomte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By tomte
@CH3BURASHKA said:

Yes there are, i have had hamburger, kalbi and wiener sushi. The hamburger one was awesome, to bad i already bought dinner for today and can't go have some :(
Titl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Titl

I like sushi, yes. At least the kind i've tried so far.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By fjordson

Absolutely. I could eat it every day. Nothing really that I don't enjoy. The only thing I can think of is uni (sea urchin). Not big on the taste and the texture sort of creeps me out.

ComradeKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ComradeKhan

I like sushi, but I prefer sashimi

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jack268
@mrfizzy said:
" No, i can't stand it. I'v eaten a lot of very different foods in my time and really enjoyed most of them but i really can't get into sushi. The stickyness of the rice and the toughness of the seaweed is what ruins it for me. I don't have a problem with the raw fish part of it tho. Maybe i just had a bad experience.   "
The seaweed isn't so tough if you put the whole thing in your mouth instead of taking bites of it. And yes, that is what she said etc. Also, make sure to dip it in the soy, the taste gets MUCH richer that way.

Anyway, I love sushi and wish I could eat it more often. It's a lot better than most western fast food imo.
PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By PixelPrinny

Sushi is my fave :D Om nom nom nom nom nom. Tuna, River Eel, Shrimp, Salmon, etc etc mm so good, and then rolls are also delicious. BC rolls are awesome, Philadelphia rolls are amazing.. The only sushi I can't stomach is Sea Anemone *shudders*  

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Hot_Karl

Oh yeah, I love sushi, I'm Ironically, I'm not huge into actual sushi (as in the cold, raw fish- salmon, tuna, etc) but I'll eat it. But hand rolls, my god that stuff's delicious. We go to a place called Zenko about 20 min south from my school in Irvine, all you can eat, hand made, fresh, delicious, ready to order sushi/rolls (not to mention appetizers like tempura, teryiaki chicken, etc) for $20 with tax. It's all kinds of amazing. If anyone is down in Irvine (I'm talking to you, @Apathylad ), you gotta come with me sometime.

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By icicle7x3

Of course.

and for you Mega64 fans out there

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Devil240Z

I wish I did... But I cant handle the nori.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By PixelPrinny
@Pepsiman said:
" @iam3green said:
" @CH3BURASHKA said:

i would say there could be beat in sushi. all i see is sushi is just rice around something. something that i don't get is when people think sushi they think uncooked food.   it's alright it has some good things there. there is a sushi place that i see every week when i get gas. i am thinking about going there some time. "
Making proper, high quality sushi is a combination of quality ingredients, technique, and, like a lot of Japanese food, pleasant aesthetics. There's actually a lot more to the process than what you might at first presume, even sitting at the chef's station in restaurants, especially if you're doing the entire thing from scratch. It's not unheard of to spend long stretches of time studying and refining the technique; I've even heard of guys taking five years of dedicated training to do it well. It all probably tastes the same regardless to a lot of people, but I thought I'd mention it. There are enough delicate steps in making sushi from what I know and have experienced with Japanese ingredients that I have no desire to attempt it myself. "
Geeze, are you trying to scare people off from making it? :P Homemade sushi isn't hard at all. You just need good rice (short grain white), fresh fish or shrimp or veggies or any other ingredients you want to add, some nori, sugar, and rice vinegar.You can get one of those cheap sushi roller things to make rolling easier, though Saran wrap works fine too or just doing it without some aid.  

Mix the vinegar and sugar, pour on the rice, let the rice cool, then just take some rice, spread it out put the ingredients on and roll it up. Or just shape it into rectangles, put the fish on top and wrap with a little line of nori. 

Easy! Sure it's not gonna be as amazing as the type where chefs perfected for 5-years but whatever! :P There's a ton of places you can find easy recipes for making sushi online. I'm just paraphrasing here XD
Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Hot_Karl
@PixelPrinny: Philadelphia rolls ARE amazing, but they're so terrible for you. All that cream cheese, it's yummy but I can just feel my stomach bloat after eating a couple.
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By c1337us

I either love sushi or freaking loathe it. I am not so much into the hardcore Japanese ass sushi. But I love me some of the more westernized stuff. Katsu roll is my absolute favorite I eat it for lunch from the same place every week on Mondays with some bubble tea. But I often have it for lunch a few times a week so I don't mind getting other stuff mostly things like California roll, spicy tuna roll, teryaki chicken or beef etc, etc. If I get some of the more traditional stuff I'll only eat from a really good restaurant.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Pepsiman
@PixelPrinny: I'm just probably biased by virtue of my personal life experiences. It's true that the fundamental process itself is easy enough, but it's one of those foods that I personally just enjoy having made by people other than myself. Although I'm still of the opinion like I said earlier that taste-wise, sushi just isn't the best that Japanese food has on offer, so I'm probably speaking from that point of view, too.
WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By WickedFather

Had loads.  Don't hate it, it's just nowhere near as good as fried chicken.

Parabole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#42  Edited By Parabole

I was at a buffet once and it was just all sushi as far as the eye can see. It was amazing!

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By raiz265

Never tried. 
No idea.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By OldGuy
@CH3BURASHKA said:

You realize, of course, that fish IS meat, yes?

And, to be super pedantic about it sushi is the rice (loose translation: it's sour): Nigirizushi is the common "finger of rice with topping" and makizushi is the roll version. You will (in the US) also see fish on a bed of sushi rice (Chirashizushi) and (far less often) pressed (Oshizushi)...

Sushi didn't start out all highfalutin' either it was originally a street food designed to be quick to make and eat.

Finally, I have yet to find any sushi I don't like, so bring it on!
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By CL60

I've never had sushi before. So I wouldn't know.

Avatar image for partial_paralysis
Partial_Paralysis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just started eating sushi towards the end of last year and can't get enough of it. Usually have it two or three times a week.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47  Edited By TheHBK

Hells yes.  But sushi is such a broad type of food.  Its like asking if you like sandwhiches.  Favorites are eel and good old salmon sushi.

droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By droop

Please make it stop!

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By FritzDude

And where's my "Dunno, never eat'n it before" option, hmm?

Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Detrian

Did the question of the day baton get passed or what