Does anyone here own an Amazon Kindle device?

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Emilio

If so, what model and how is it? I'm currently looking into the device for secret reasons, but I'd like to know what you think of it. 

Does it display black and white ( or should I say gray scaled? ) images well?

Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2  Edited By Emandudeguyperson

I hear it's pretty cool, don't own one personally though.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I've been interested in getting one, but honestly I don't see the point at the moment.
I'm just going to wait it out for the technology and stores/distrubution of digital books to improve.  (hearing that they've removed books from people who've bought them and not refunded them is ridiculous)

Better models are almost certain to come quite quickly.
But it would be great to hear the thoughts of someone who actually has one.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Skald

You should buy a book. Check out these features: 

• Portable
  • Lightweight
  • $10~$15
  • Easy to use interface
  • Millions of varieties available
  • Infinite battery life
  • Good contrast ratio
  • You can buy them anywhere

The Kindle can't compare to paperback technology. 

I don't see a lot of people reading these days, and I don't understand the appeal of this device. The fact it even sells confuses the hell out of me. And this is coming from a guy who likes needlessly expensive gadgets and reading. Perhaps the two don't go together? 

Of course that's just my opinion.
subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By subject2change

Boss has one, its kinda cool. I'd rather have a copy of the book, also that you can buy books used online for cheap is always a perk. Having the ability to have more than 1 book with you is nice though.

MrPickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By MrPickles

If I had the money, I'd be rather tempted to pick one of those bastards up. Their pricey, but it seems like a neat little device. It's the footure of reading!

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Skald

How about a subscription plan that gives you all the books you can read for a flat fee? It's called a library. 

@Subject2Change said:

" Boss has one, its kinda cool. I'd rather have a copy of the book, also that you can buy books used online for cheap is always a perk. Having the ability to have more than 1 book with you is nice though. "
You can also get second hand books in stores. Or for that matter you could borrow or trade books with your friends. 
Although I don't know, Emillio said "secret reasons." Hmmm...
subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By subject2change

True enough. 

Ya wondering what secret reasons. Because its black and white text only. So unless he is reading penthouse stories, don't know what other secret reason it could be.

Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By DragoonKain1687

I like the concept, not so much the price. Im waiting for the tecnology to improve. Im tired of shitty book editions that get all scratchy on the sides just from normal reading, and besides, I really need the space. My room is crammed with books right now (I read a lot, almos as much as gaming xD) and I dont have where to put more books. 
Ive been looking at the Kindle DX with fond eyes, but the admission price is high. Also, I will wait for the books to be cheaper.

Currently, Im using something similar, Im using my Digital Comic Reader on the PSP, its saved me a lot of money (They are 2 US Dollars less than SRP) and space. But, you have the same problem, not all of them are.
I hope that in the coming years, this tecnology will stablish. After all, we do have to stop cutting trees. And regular books could remain, for special editions, or special use, like schools and such

Avatar image for deactivated-6204297b0c601
deactivated-6204297b0c601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I got one as a gift for Christmas - 6" display.  It can display images (at least it does when you put it in power-save mode or you browse the Amazon shop), but I haven't seen any in an actual book.  The display is quite nice - legible from any angle, no eye-strain.  Really long battery life too - I've been using it almost every day, but haven't had to charge it in about two weeks.

Now that I have one, I find it's quite nice, but the price is pretty steep if you're getting one for yourself.  If you read a lot and you travel, it's pretty nice - no more lugging multiple books around every time I go out of town.  Also, the books you can get on it are pretty cheap.  I got a new book for about a third of the hardcover price, and a lot of public domain stuff is either free or almost free - complete Sherlock Holmes set for $1, for example.  If you get a case for it then the feel is almost like reading a real book, but not quite.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By toowalrus
@extremeradical said:
" You should buy a book. Check out these features: 
  • Portable
  • Lightweight
  • $10~$15
  • Easy to use interface
  • Infinite battery life
  • Good contrast ratio

I don't see a lot of people reading these days, and I don't understand the appeal of this device. The fact it even sells confuses the hell out of me. And this is coming from a guy who likes needlessly expensive gadgets and reading. Perhaps the two don't go together? 
 Of course that's just my opinion. "
My aunt has been both a librarian and an English teacher at different points in her career. All through the time I was growing up, I've never seen her go a day without spending some time in the evening to read. She came down to visit her mom (my grandma) this Christmas, and she brought her Kindle. She loves it. She reads more than anyone I know. 
  • She likes the fact that she can buy e-books at cheap prices.
  • The screen is greystyle, and doesn't strain the eyes like reading from a computer screen, it's much more like reading a book.
  • The fact that you can buy your new-release books (if you're into buying new-release books) straight from the store and hold them right on the device saves time.
  • And she doesn't need to stash hundreds and hundreds of old books on her shelves and in boxes in the garage.
  • She also likes to read the newspapers from her home town, the town her parents are living in, and the national newspaper, and these can be downloaded right to the Kindle.

So for someone who travels frequently and doesn't want to carry around six different books to read, why is the Kindle such a stupid investment. The Kindle sells to people who LIKE to read.
Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

My mom has one, the only appeal I really see is its much more portable than carrying around 50 books.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By MrKlorox

An Amazon Kindle Device sounds like a pompous way of saying "machete".

But seriously, I would prefer one to a book because of the way my eyes adjust black ink on white background. I mean it can invert colors right?

Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14  Edited By buzz_killington

I really don't need to get one. I have a Java app on my phone that lets me read PDF on the go, so I just use that.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Skald
@TooWalrus: That's cool. Anyone who can get that much out of a device is putting it to good use. 

However, I don't think it's a device for everyone. I think a lot of people who are buying it now are just gadgetphiles and people with too much disposable income. 

In a world where people are changing their cellphones twice a year, I sometimes wonder if anyone really knows what they're doing. Sometimes I wonder whether or not people think before buying a gadget they think will be the next big thing. And I'm sure you need to read quite a bit to make the asking price worthwhile. But your post was not only valid, it was awesome. You should sell Kindles. 

But in the end, I'll just read physical books until portable readers become really cheap. Then I'll think about picking one up.
Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Emilio

Thanks for the responses guys.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jeffgoldblum
@Emilio said:
"I'm currently looking into the device for secret reasons"
What motives could you have for buying a Kindle besides reading books?
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By toowalrus
@JeffGoldblum said:
" @Emilio said:
"I'm currently looking into the device for secret reasons"
What motives could you have for buying a Kindle besides reading books? "
Reading embarrassing fan fiction?
angelfan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By angelfan91
@extremeradical said:
"You should buy a book. Check out these features: 
  • Portable
  • Lightweight
  • $10~$15
  • Easy to use interface
  • Infinite battery life
  • Good contrast ratio

Exactly, I don't see the appeal.  Go to a library. I hear they have books cheap.  Damn near free.
Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I want to live in a world where libraries don't exist.

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By torus

I have a Kindle. Images look alright (in grayscale, obviously), although they aren't as fast as text to load. Perfectly usable for reading the NY Times, for instance. I quite like it. If you ACTUALLY see yourself using it, then get one. It's for reading books. That's it.  

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By VisariLoyalist

hell no!

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MikkaQ

I'd rather have a kindle than a library. Can't you buy books on the fly?  If that's a feature, then I'm so in all the way. Libraries are made entirely useless for me if that is so. I don't really care about paying for the books, that's what company credit cards are for. I've been waiting foreeeever for them to bring 'em to canada, and I think now's the time. I'll actually have no excuse not to read anymore. I used to read so much, but now I just don't have the time. if I can buy a book when I'm on the bus or getting a drink at a cafe or something, then just read it on the way to work.. I'd be down.

N3onThr33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By N3onThr33
@extremeradical said:
  • Portable
  • Lightweight
  • $10~$15
  • Easy to use interface
  • Infinite battery life
  • Good contrast ratio

My thoughts exactly.
Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Wolverine
@Emilio said:
" If so, what model and how is it? I'm currently looking into the device for secret reasons, but I'd like to know what you think of it.  Does it display black and white ( or should I say gray scaled? ) images well? "
Secret reason? Like reading! I'd wait to by one because a new model will probably come out soon.
Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Emilio

I'm actually looking more into the publishing side of things... but I've already said too much... 

SO YOU MUST ALL BE ELIMINATED! Destroy Destroy Destroy!!

FranticFargo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FranticFargo

I own one. I think it's rather nice, considering it has a decent internet browser built-in and it now natively supports PDF files. Also, it displays pictures quite well. The illustrations in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Coraline look great. 

(By the way, I have the 6" Kindle 2.)

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By TwoOneFive
@extremeradical said:

• Portable
  • Lightweight
  • $10~$15
  • Easy to use interface
  • Infinite battery life
  • Good contrast ratio

millions of varieties isn't included with the $10-$15 price bro... 

and thats the one reason people like the kindle.  

and the reason it confuses you so much is because you are not very bright.  
Lots of people use it for practical reasons, for instance: doctors can store all sorts of medical books in there as well as any novels and other works that they might enjoy reading on their spare time. 
Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Skald
@TwoOneFive said:
" @extremeradical said:

• Portable
  • Lightweight
  • $10~$15
  • Easy to use interface
  • Infinite battery life
  • Good contrast ratio

millions of varieties isn't included with the $10-$15 price bro... and thats the one reason people like the kindle.    and the reason it confuses you so much is because you are not very bright.  Lots of people use it for practical reasons, for instance: doctors can store all sorts of medical books in there as well as any novels and other works that they might enjoy reading on their spare time.  "
As I stated later on: I don't think the kindle is bad, not by a long shot. In the future when it costs less, and lets face it, is technically better in every regard, hell yes I'll buy one. I just don't think it's a good investment for the average person. It takes a lot of ebooks to make up for the Kindle asking price. And dude, I used the terms "infinite battery life", "good contrast ratio" and "paperback technology". If I used those terms in earnest, I would have to be an idiot. But if you insist, I offer you a great alternative for the common bibliophile spendthrift: the library. Untold number of tomes, some in worse condition than others, some as good as new, all for a flat rate, should you return it on time. 
So, no, I don't hate the Kindle, I just don't think its worth the price. Calling me a bit slow because I prefer the concept of physical book ownership seems uncalled for, if not completely petty. I mean, do you think the original poster is a doctor with extensive medical archives? Because I am fairly certain he isn't. 

And when I say average reader, I mean one book or less/month. Let's be honest, most Americans probably didn't even get through the Da Vinci Code, which is their second sin against literature, the first one, after all, was picking up a Dan Brown book in the first place.