Does Two and A Half Men purposefully make the viewer hate women?

• 96 results
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I'm in the 7th season of Two and A Half Men (second watch-through) and I gotta say, I hate each and every female character in that show. All of them, none excluded, are the standard definition of a total bitch. Is it me or is this the case? Do you think the show creator for some god awful reason intentionally made the entire female cast a bunch of unendurable villains?

• Judith is the queen of bitches in the show, she's the divorced housewife who sucked and continues to suck the blood out of her husband, always threatening to call her lawyers even if he asks for his basic rights, and whenever she feels like it she totally turns into an innocent angel who needs love and compassion, then when her episode is over she shows her horns and fangs again.
  • Their mother is the selfish old woman who doesn't give a damn about her sons or about having a family but only wants to fuck rich old men and make money off of dead people's houses.
  • Mia and Chelsea, Charlie's two "real" girlfriends literally do NOTHING in the show other than trying to change the poor man, walking all over his freedom, letting others walk all over him, and always making a big deal out of everything and storming out.
  • Berta is funny, but she's also a heartless maid who exploits the good nature of her employer and turns into an aggressive dog whenever she doesn't have her way.
  • Melissa, Alan's girlfriend, is the female version of Alan. Now there's also a female sponge who has no shame and demands things she doesn't deserve.
  • Rose is the insane stalker who's only motive is to imprison Charlie, and nothing stops her from doing so, not a damn thing, including any form of evil deed.
  • Courtney is the con woman who shakes her boobs all over an episode then makes money off of the fool she'd conned.

While the male characters all have their good and their bad, their goodhearted and their evil moments, the female characters are CONTINUOUSLY mean, evil and hate-inducing.

I know it's only a sitcom but it's unnatural that whenever there's a female character on screen I just cringe and start cussing them. I think this is intentional, it's some form of a conspiracy, what are your thoughts? Illuminati?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

No, because that would be implying that the show has purpose. How am I supposed to believe that Two and a Half Men has anything resembling purpose?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By musubi

@Video_Game_King: Oh it has a purpose to boost Charlie Sheen's ego.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

I don't know what's dumber, the show or this thread.

We'll have to wait and see.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By GunstarRed

I don't know, but I once watched an episode on mute and knew exactly what was going on.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Solh0und

You know, I never cared for that show.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By jozzy

Don't hate on my Rose!

So yeah, I really liked the show. I have since learned that this makes me the very definition of unsophisticated, but what can you do about it. I like dude comedies.

Avatar image for jonathanashleymoore
JonathanAshleyMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't hate them any more than I hate the main characters, or the show.

God, fucking, damn I hate that show.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By jonnyboy

If my Wife ever turned on that show, I'd probably hate her for it.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Milkman

It's an awful misogynistic bullshit show so yeah, probably. 

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By AlexW00d

It's just a terrible show with terrible writers that can't write a decent character for shit, so they go for stereotypes as it's the easy way.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hamz

Stereotypes. That's all it is.

You have the gold digger, the bitter ex-wife, the "mature" mother who's single and insecure about dying alone, you have the girlfriend who expects to be wined and dined on her man's money and then the potential wives/fiancées who try to tame their man into their ideal husband.

You'll find most comedies are successful because they use stereotypes. Look at The Big Bang Theory, they do it just as much. Friends did it, Frasier did it and umpteen other comedies.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@jozzy said:

So yeah, I really liked the show. I have since learned that this makes me the very definition of unsophisticated, but what can you do about it. I like dude comedies.

You can be sophisticated and still enjoy a brainless show once in a while... Being too self aware and trying too hard to be mature is the definition of immaturity. You can be a fan of The Wire and Friends simultaneously, humans don't have one-track minds.

@JonathanAshleyMoore said:

I can't hate them any more than I hate the main characters, or the show.

God, fucking, damn I hate that show.

You do realize it's a show on TV right? It's not someone who raped a relative of yours? Having aggressive HATE for a music band or a TV series really isn't the way to live.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that show is dumb... Chelsea's hot... whatever

Avatar image for a_talking_donkey
A_Talking_Donkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By A_Talking_Donkey

Unless your hatred is for Nickelback, who literally destroyed the music industry.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Doubtful, but I'm convinced they purposefully make the shittiest and most worthless show on television.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@Hamz said:

You have the gold digger, the bitter ex-wife, the "mature" mother who's single and insecure about dying alone, you have the girlfriend who expects to be wined and dined on her man's money and then the potential wives/fiancées who try to tame their man into their ideal husband.

You'll find most comedies are successful because they use stereotypes. Look at The Big Bang Theory, they do it just as much. Friends did it, Frasier did it and umpteen other comedies.

I know but god damn, this show takes it to the extreme.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

I hate everyone on that show so why discriminate?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Justin258

@Hamz said:

Scrubs? And MASH didn't seem so stereotypical, though it was a long time ago so it might have been at the time.

Anyway, "misogynistic" never really crossed my mind. The main character is a drunk horny rich guy who - SURPRISE! - has lots of sex with hot women who want some of his money. Those kinds of women tend to be bitches and probably (but not always) dumb, so it kind of makes sense that the show is filled with them.

Besides, the show doesn't have very many good things to say about men either. They're either portrayed as horny and stupid (like Charlie) or as complete losers (like his brother). We are not talking about high culture, we're talking about cheap comedy that people watch because they're bored, tired, and ready to not give a fuck at the end of the day, and like it or not this show succeeds at delivering cheap humor for people to put on when they're ready to fall into a stupid daze after a hard day at their shitty jobs.

@CrazyBagMan said:

Doubtful, but I'm convinced they purposefully make the shittiest and most worthless show on television.

No, that would be the American version of The Office. I fucking hate that show, it's downright disgusting at the shitty humor they expect us to fucking laugh at.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#20  Edited By Atlas

Dude, nobody on that show is supposed to be likeable, it's not exclusively the women. The men are just as horrible, vain, manipulative, and incompetent. But yeah, the mother is clearly the most evil of all.

There was a time when Two and a Half Men was genuinely entertaining, and I enjoyed watching it. The last couple of series with Charlie Sheen were nowhere near as good, and the little bits I've seen of the Kutcher stuff doesn't look interesting to me at all.

Spuirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Spuirrel

Misogyny in SITCOMS? AMERICAN SITCOMS?? Never!

I might be willing to call it pandering.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I think it makes people hate shitty sitcoms.

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By GalacticPunt

Every time I've been exposed to that knuckle-dragging show, it makes me hate the whole human race. Except for Melanie Lynskey who play's "Rose." I pity her. She was great in "Heavenly Creatures" then grew up to be surprisingly foxy. She deserves a better career than having a bit part in Coyote Ugly and being Charlie's psycho ex...

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MikkaQ

Well it is the one of the basest, simplest, dumbest shows on TV, so I'm not surprised it paints everyone with it's simplistic world view.

There's a difference between good dumb entertainment and this, and the difference is being at least a little self aware about how stupid they're being.

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By david3cm

Watching any amount of Two and a half men make me hate everyone and everything.

coldblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By coldblood

Two and A Half Men purposefully makes the viewer hate Two and A Half Men!

tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By tallTuck94

Well your problem is that you're watching Two and a Half Men. Easily solvable.

Mahonay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Mahonay

First mistake; watching Two and a Half Men.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By zeforgotten
@jozzy said:

Don't hate on my Rose!

I'm part of that list too and that's fine. 
As long as I get to hang out with people who have a sense of humor and don't over-analyze a TV show. 
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jimbo

l don't know about Two and a Half Men, but the woman on Everybody Loves Raymond is a total fuckhead.

zodstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By zodstein

Why is it ok to portray men as scumbags, but not women? There are plenty of women out there who are bums.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#32  Edited By Yummylee

Man, I remember quite liking that show back when it was new. I was also much younger back then, but some early episodes like when Charlie is running out of money and has to ration everything still makes me giggle at times. Nowadays, though, the show is fucking soulless. One of the ugliest sitcoms going.

As for the women thing, it's a dudecom; naturally most of the women are antagonistic. Though if I remember correctly Judith actually started out as sympathetic and was a friendly, but awkward, person during the first season as well. But then they eventually brought her up to becoming an absolute bitch to Alan, for the sake of more 'comedy'.

EDIT: To be fair, a lot of the guys were terrible people as well. Sure, there was the occasional 'warm' moment to let you know deep down, all of these characters do have a heart and are actually good people!...But nah, everyone was kind of a scumbag besides Alan, who they unfortunately kept making more and more weirder and less easy to relate to as the show went on.

Mamba219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By Mamba219

Also, y'know, women are really like that. Not really worth much.

Artigkar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Artigkar

@Jimbo said:

l don't know about Two and a Half Men, but the woman on Everybody Loves Raymond is a total fuckhead.

Which one? The mother or the wife?

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#35  Edited By LordAndrew

Look at Charlie and Alan. Do you expect those two to make good relationship choices? A decent woman would go nowhere near them.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jimbo
@Artigkar said:

@Jimbo said:

The wife. And the mother. But mostly the wife.
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37  Edited By Animasta

@Jimbo said:

@Artigkar said:

@Jimbo said:

The wife. And the mother. But mostly the wife.

I'm sorry but at least those two weren't Brad Garrett

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jams

@zodstein said:

Why is it ok to portray men as scumbags, but not women? There are plenty of women out there who are bums.

Because when people say they want equal rights, what they really mean is that they want to be treated special and better. But what they don't understand is that if you're being treating like shit half the time, then you're being treated like everyone else. The show just shows the bad in everyone men and women. I think that's what Two and a Half Men is all about, really. People want to see what they want to see. Notice how forgets that The con artist girl also had a male partner in crime that was scamming Charlies mother? He was the male equivalent to the girl in every way. Or how Alan is the most terrible ungrateful mooch ever portrayed in film? Charlie Sheen pretty much plays himself with an added fictional brother. Even the kid is a completely retarded knuckle dragging simpleton and a waste of air.

They're all terrible caricatures of real life people that we all know.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jimbo
@Animasta: Fair point.
AndyAce83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40  Edited By AndyAce83

It sort of funny but I hated the show so much with Sheen, but with Kutcher (an actor I do not like at all) the tone of the show changed into something less painfull.

I dont think I like shows where the only jokes are hateful towards the characters. The orginal show was: Sheen cool, his brother dumb, ridicule, ridicule failure, failure, Sheen gets laid. Roll Credits.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ShaggE

The sad thing about Two and a Half Men is that the premise has unrealized potential. It could have been the modern successor to Married With Children: a traditional network TV sitcom in which every character is a complete, irredeemable piece of shit. Unfortunately, we got... well... this.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By PillClinton

Wait, you're in the 7th season, on your second watch-through, of Two and a Half Men?

Sorry.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By mandude

I never realised that, even though you make it seem extremely obvious.

I knew there was a reason I got physically violent any time that show was on.

hakunin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#44  Edited By hakunin

Someone get Anita Sarkeesian on this, stat!

Kidding aside, no because:

I don't waste my time watching brainless sitcoms and I don't base my opinions and personal views on the media I consume, stupid sitcom or not.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MrKlorox

No, ALL the characters are terrible. Not just the women. If the show is mis-anything, it's misanthropic.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Azteck

Why.. are you watching that show? I don't mean to rag on anyone's favorite TV series but you can do a lot better

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By NTM

Wait, so you watch through all of the seasons?

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#49  Edited By Hunter5024

The only character in this show who ever makes me laugh is the crazy stalker chick. I hate all of the characters equally, regardless of gender, except for Rose (I think is her name).

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

This is stupid. It's not like there is a single male on the show who isn't a total dick or douchebag.