Doom (2005) film adaptation is very underrated

FortySixandTwo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FortySixandTwo

I mean it could have been better, but The Rock was pretty cool in the film, as was the rest of the cast.

The FPS scene was nice too, but it really was the interaction between the characters that made this film decent. I liked The Kid, Portman, & Reaper.

I would say Mortal Kombat 1 & Doom are the best video game to film adapations.

No Caption Provided

BoatDrinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It wasn't terrible, but I'd never watch it again

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

It was horrific. Take a satanic game, remove all traces of Hell. Nope.

Palmlykta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Palmlykta

I f*cking hated the FPS scene... It was cringeworthy. :P

Other than that, it's an alright flick. IMDB seems to agree, judging by the 5.1 score.

Now Mortal Kombat on the other hand is a great movie that is severely underrated.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Between this and your thread about "The Duke" I am beginning to see a pattern emerge....

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#6  Edited By sammo21

I LOVE Karl Urban, but this movie is what it is; B movie with a budget. The Rock's "Semper fi" line makes me laugh every time.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Nekroskop

It was god-awful when I saw it at the time and it will be even worse today.

I guess you can enjoy it ironically though...

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kaos_cracker

When I saw it when I was little, I was unaware of the game, and thought it was a decent action movie. Then when I found out it was a game, I still thought the movie was decent because I'm on of the few that doesn't like the Doom series except for 3.

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aren't you the guy who was saying the Duke was the best controller ever? Right....

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By DeadpanCakes

Never watched it, but I feel almost obligated to...

Should I?

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Doctorchimp

Nah...I was like 13 when it came out...and I knew it was shit then. Also I only played Doom 3, hadn't played the earlier two back then. And I remember being kind of excited when I saw The Rock talk about the Doom movie with Jon Stewart.

@sammo21 said:

I LOVE Karl Urban, but this movie is what it is; B movie with a budget. The Rock's "Semper fi" line makes me laugh every time.

If you want to make a Pathfinder thread...I'll be there to defend it. Now that's an underrated movie.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ryan came back to life to say, "Meh."

Loading Video...

buneroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itspizza said:

It wasn't terrible, but I'd never watch it again

I would 100% agree with this but for some reason I've seen it multiple times. I can't even remember what lead to me seeing this more than once but it happened.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

@doctorchimp: Yeah, I like Pathfinder. The script is a bit thin but he's amazing and the action is great.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By hatking

It's pretty fun. I'd certainly watch it again in the right environment. I'm fine with creative license being taken with adaptations, so long as it is done within the spirit of the universe. Changing major details for the sake of Hollywoodification is kind of shitty, which is why I assume it had nothing to do with demons and was suddenly just another 'biological weapon gone wrong' flick. That part bummed me out. Still, the action and the melodrama feel very true to Doom (maybe closer to Doom III), and The Rock is almost always entertaining to watch. With a couple friends and some beers, I'd absolutely recommend it.

And people who like things "ironically" are assholes.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Each their own. I really hated the removal of hell to avoid pissing off the religious folks and to have it replaced by another science is evil story.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@fortysixandtwo: I like you, you seem to have the same genuine appreciation for objectively bad things that I do, like the Duke controller and this movie. Do you, perchance, also enjoy dubstep? Because you might totally be me from an alternate dimension.

Anyway, the biggest gripe I had about this film was, yes, the missing hell aspect. I really didn't like how they turned it in to literally Resident Evil on Mars. It seems ludicrous now to avoid Hell in a movie just for the sake of potentially offending people. This is also the first movie where I began to appreciate The Rock barking out lines with the alpha surliness of an angry, horny silverback gorilla.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#18  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Pretty much all the changes from the source material were for the worse, but as far as videogame adaptions go, it's probably my favorite. Then, I kinda liked Wing Commander as well, which everybody else seems to have with a passion.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Rock Clapping

The Rock says Doom was the shit.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

Semper Fi Motherfucker.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Who are you and why do you like terrible things?

How dare you besmirch the good name of Mortal Kombat (1995) by associating it with the only adaptation of space hell that didn't have any space hell.

Shame on you.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are you The Rock's mum? You have to tell us if you are.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By Jeust

I liked it. But I also liked Max Payne and Hitman. To me they were interesting adaptations of game franchises, unlike Alone in the Dark.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally I actually kind of like it. It is a great B style action movie. If you just want to enjoy a crazy action flick that actually has some decent actors in it who actually do ok with what they are given it is pretty okay. People need to realize every movie doesn't need to be the Shawshank Redemption, or 2001 Space Odyssey. Is Doom a "great movie" of course not, but even in his TANG commentary Ryan obviously liked some things about it. It probably helps that I don't give a flying crap about Dooms "backstory" since it's backstory is really just an excuse to be in a dark space station killing monsters from the get go.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Naw, it's pretty crap. I watched that movie when it was new and I was about... 14-15, and even at that age I still thought it sucked.

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Vuud

Watching the TANG years ago told me all I needed to know. If it didn't have the title "DOOM" you would never know this was based on the Doom game. Doom had virtually no story other than "Hell portal opened, demons spill out" , and they had to mess with that.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

Your face is underrated.

Retromancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a horrible movie in the best way possible. The plot is so idiotic and bizarre in how it ALMOST is actually like Doom and then ricochets off in this hilariously bad direction. Ya'll are crazy though, that FPS is a work of art. A stupid, stupid work of art.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Hail Satan!

Far Cry was fun too.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean it could have been better, but The Rock was pretty cool in the film, as was the rest of the cast.

The FPS scene was nice too, but it really was the interaction between the characters that made this film decent. I liked The Kid, Portman, & Reaper.

I would say Mortal Kombat 1 & Doom are the best video game to film adapations.

No Caption Provided

No. Doom was terrible.

I'll agree that Mortal Kombat was a good movie, and I thought the first Resident Evil was decent, but Doom was BAD. Seriously, what a terrible movie.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@karkarov said:

Personally I actually kind of like it. It is a great B style action movie. If you just want to enjoy a crazy action flick that actually has some decent actors in it who actually do ok with what they are given it is pretty okay. People need to realize every movie doesn't need to be the Shawshank Redemption, or 2001 Space Odyssey. Is Doom a "great movie" of course not, but even in his TANG commentary Ryan obviously liked some things about it. It probably helps that I don't give a flying crap about Dooms "backstory" since it's backstory is really just an excuse to be in a dark space station killing monsters from the get go.

Since you brought it up, why exactly is 2001 considered a good movie? I saw it and I was almost bored to tears. That movie is so slow, dull, and boring that I have NO idea how it's considered one of the best movies of all time. Citizen Kane I understand - Casablanca, The Godfather, and most of the films at the top 10 I consider good, or amazing even. 2001: A Space Odyssey is one of those movies that I think only artsy people could ever appreciate, because it just sucks otherwise.

Schmollian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fact that there was actually no portal to hell (the VERY CORNERSTONE of the Doom story) and that the plot revolved around an "evil genome" had me screaming WHAT THE FUCK WERE THEY THINKING THIS ISN'T DOOM AT ALL!!!

I know it will never happen, but I actually wish someone would make a proper Doom movie with the portal to hell idea intact.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Mortal Kombat is good. It's was B-grade fun that worked with the subject matter.

Doom wasn't the worst thing ever, but it's dumb. To say the character's interaction made the movie... I mean... do you watch good movies ever?

OP is the same guy who said the Xbox Duke controller is the best controller ever. I think he's a professional troll.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Karkarov

@random45: I brought 2001 up because Ryan riffed on it in his TANG and it is a well known and respected Science Fiction movie I knew other people would recognize. It felt wrong not to use a sci fi pic there beside my go to Shawshank. That being said 2001 is considered good (in my mind) because it is a very cerebral movie with a lot of veiled meaning and intent. It has some awesome cinematography and the soundtrack is phenomenal.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

No, it was rated just fine.

That movie is dumb.

They could have called it anything and it would still have been dumb. What did it even have to do with Doom?

Nothing.

Just another example of several someones who don't give a shit about a video game or its legacy and taking a shit on it because they don't even know how to make a decent movie let alone one that's based on a beloved video game franchise.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SSully

It is not underrated. It's a cheesy movie that is as shallow as a puddle, a bit of fun to watch but its not something I would ever call a good movie.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#39  Edited By nightriff

Agreed, I really enjoyed Doom when it first came out and still enjoy it to this day, gets too much shit. Its just a dumb fun movie that should've stuck with the demon stuff, not gene 24 or whatever.

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't mind Doom as an incredibly mediocre action movie with some cheesy fun moments and occasional nods to the game, but I sure as hell won't defend it as a quality movie by any means, or even a decent translation of the games to the silver screen; not least because I think they actually could have made something worthwhile if they'd approached it as a more serious project.

If it had just taken its premise to heart, stupid as it was, and gone all the way with it -- really leaning into the claustrophobic horror aspect and cutting out the terrible attempts at goofy "we're based on a video game!" humor -- they might have been able to turn out a decent action/horror movie. You might not be able to hit it, but at least try to aim for "Aliens with a dash of Event Horizon", rather than settle for "video game B-movie cash-in".

Sure, the Doom games are pretty fucking goofy, but I don't think going that route with the movie actually captures the essence of playing the games. Since the movie was clearly basing itself on Doom 3, it should have stuck to what the game did well -- which was build constant tension, punctuated by explosive moments of fighting for your life.

Doom the movie spends too much time establishing cliche character archetypes, and explaining its incredibly unnecessary retconning of the game's plot (inexplicably changed from "Oops, we opened a portal to Hell" to "I dunno, some genetic bullshit"). The movie really didn't need much more plot than what we got in Doom 3: Marines arrive, shit goes fucking sideways, fill in the pieces along the way without resorting to exposition dumps.

I guess basically what I'm saying is, Doom should have been the new Dredd movie but with demons.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#41  Edited By crithon

hehe, I love good B movies, but nope.

At it's best it's a pop corn flick, but even then it feels like this whole muddy, filmed in Czech Republic in order to save on production costs. The film used Doug Jones which is decent but even he is hidden in darkness, and again it's muddy looking film on a cheap set. The CG crew did a better job in lighting and composition then a guy in a suit on set which is usually the stuff everyone wants to see. It's not an easy job making BLACK work in films, so Del Toro is an expert at it tricking you into thinking your seeing darkness but there's always orange lighting. Still the film reminds me more of Jason X or Leprechaun in Space level of poor production when they are desperate to be Aliens clone.

No Caption Provided

Let me throw you a bone for fun B movie. Deep Rising by Stephan Sommer the director of the Mummy films. Two fisted pulp hero fighting underwater monster. It's aware how campy it is and embraces it, some casting from the Mortal Kombat film in here so that's fun. There is an AMAZING, character being eaten then VOMITED OUT and he was in the stomach acids so he's slowly dissolving in front of you the effects work handled by Ban from the Ranch, a crew of former ILM effects guys who were.... banned from the ranch, see how they did that.

No Caption Provided

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

wow that fps clip

such reals

many amaze

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Better than Doom 3.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Eh it's not great. Their premise is just ask crazy as hell monsters so they should have just stuck with the original concept. There were some enjoyable things about it and I can see it being someone's guilty pleasure. Mortal Kombat though is actually a very entertaining Kung fu movie. It doesn't take itself too seriously but gets most of the characters right. I also enjoyed the majority of Hitman, had some terrible stuff but overall I thought it was ok. Now Reaident Evil for me is a hard pill to swallow (first one specifically). After accepting that they took the basic framework of my beloved series and made their own story and characters out if it, I can accept that it is a decent zombie movie. But only the first one. The others in there series, especially the newer ones that basically force characters like Leon and Chris to appear are downright tragic.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Moral Kombat is amazing, that much I'll agree with.