Earth Hour - 8:30PM tonight (for each time zone)

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Diamond

I'm about to shut off some lights, and turn off and unplug my computer hardware for Earth Hour.  I realize it's more of a thing for businesses to do in cities across the world, but I figure it can't hurt to lower my electricity usage as well.  If you're worried about the environment, it might be worthwhile to help make a statement.  Earth Hour has already passed for most of the world, but soon it'll hit the east coast so I decided to do my part.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

No way am I turning everything off for an hour. I might miss COPS!

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Diamond
natetodamax said:
"No way am I turning everything off for an hour. I might miss COPS!"
Turn off the lights for a more engrossing COPS experience then?
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By JoelTGM

meh, that stuff is just to get people more aware of the whole thing.  I've already developed a habit of turning off all lights everywhere except the room I am in. 

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Suicrat

During last year's Earth Hour, many estimates state that emissions went up. Also, why is darkness the symbol environmentalists want us to attach ourselves to? Seems kinda anti-progress to me. (I'm not saying if you claim to care about the environment you don't care about humans, I'm just saying I'm not participating.)

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By BigBoss1911

Cool its on now,I aint turning off anything though.

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RetroIce4

Uh-Oh. *looks at clock* It says 8:35 and my lights and everything is on. I got my bass pumping while going to get some Texas Toast out of the microwave. Then going to eat and watch TV. I guess I fail... XD

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King
RetroIce4 said:
"Uh-Oh. *looks at clock* It says 8:35 and my lights and everything is on. I got my bass pumping while going to get some Texas Toast out of the microwave. Then going to eat and watch TV. I guess I fail... XD"
*looks at clock, notices that it's 10 to 9* Well, at least your failure isn't as bad as mine. I even have a computer, Wii, TV, and some variation of a plasma lamp, I think.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By toowalrus

I think I am going to turn on every appliance in my house on. BRB, got to set my microwave for 1 hour with nothing in it.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HandsomeDead

While you can turn off your power, they can't turn off a power station just for an hour so that's electricity wasted. Not to mention how it'll use more to turn everything back on when it's done and if this happens en masse, it could surge power grids. Good idea, hippies.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By Absurd

My lights have been off like the whole day, I don't think many people use lights in the middle of the day?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By toowalrus
HandsomeDead said:
"While you can turn off your power, they can't turn off a power station just for an hour so that's electricity wasted. Not to mention how it'll use more to turn everything back on when it's done and if this happens en masse, it could surge power grids. Good idea, hippies."
Although I don't buy in to the whole human-caused-global-crisis thing, turning lights on isn't like starting a car. It doesn't require more electricity to get it started than it does to run constantly... Thanks, Discovery Channel.
PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By PercyChuggs

Earth needs a favor from me? What about that Tornado that killed my dog Skooter? Screw Earth!

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#14  Edited By natetodamax

Well, it's over. Can't say I felt any difference. :|

PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By PowerSerj
HandsomeDead said:
"While you can turn off your power, they can't turn off a power station just for an hour so that's electricity wasted. Not to mention how it'll use more to turn everything back on when it's done and if this happens en masse, it could surge power grids. Good idea, hippies."
You keep thinking that.

Anyways, I didn't know anything about this so I completely missed it. W/e.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HandsomeDead
TooWalrus said:
"HandsomeDead said:
Although I don't buy in to the whole human-caused-global-crisis thing, turning lights on isn't like starting a car. It doesn't require more electricity to get it started than it does to run constantly... Thanks, Discovery Channel."
I remember reading that it did when they got the Eiffel Tower turned off a few years ago, but hey, that's Sky News for you.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Diamond

Actually power plants do reduce output (they HAVE to), but it can be inefficient to reduce power usage and then go back to normal levels.  I know that the global climate crisis is real, but I think that technology will probably get us out of a bad spot even if emissions aren't reduced.  There will be geoengineering products (already being invested in by the US military and many other groups) that directly counteract the various unbalances human civilization causes.  Optimally we wouldn't have to do such a thing, but I feel humans and science will always find a way.

To me turning off the lights/devices does two things :

1. It may inspire politicians and businesses that people are willing to sacrifice and be responsible about the environment.  If they believe people are willing to change, they will change laws and change product lines to reflect better efficiency.  One household turning on or off all their lights is basically insignificant, and uses a fraction of all the other energy usage in society that can never be completely disabled (manufacturing, systems like refrigerators and heating, and many other necessities).  However, the result of turning off lights will be visible on many levels, so the message will be brought across to those that need to change the most.

2. By partaking in the activity, it helps us think about why and how we're using energy.  The long term goal should be to reduce consumption where it makes sense.  Do I really need that light on in the other room that no one is in and is empty for hours?  Do I need this AC adapter plugged in when not in use?  If everyone did this process, over time power plants would naturally scale down emissions.

I do agree there is a level of symbology in turning off the lights, a perception of regressing on progress.  Those who would be offended by the idea of self-sacrifice and responsibility will never change, so it's pointless to even try to persuade sort of person.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18  Edited By Suicrat

Self-sacrifice and responsibility are opposites, not the same thing.

vivek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By vivek

I wanna be the only light in the town, but no one wants to turn theirs off either. Soz tried....

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheGreatGuero

And miss the Kid's Choice Awards?! I don't think so!

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By shadows_kill
TooWalrus said:
"I think I am going to turn on every appliance in my house on. BRB, got to set my microwave for 1 hour with nothing in it."
best idea... to bad i missed my chance...
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JJOR64

I guess I failed.  But I was at my grandparents so I guess I did it.  lol

Canberra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Canberra
"I think I am going to turn on every appliance in my house on. BRB, got to set my microwave for 1 hour with nothing in it."

I tend to have every thing on all the time, so much so is this, that the room I am sitting in is heated by the monitors, computer and consoles.
witch is a good thing really because my couch is positioned perfectly in front of my radiator blocking its warmth from filling the room.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BoG

In SLC, Temple Square shut off the lights. That was cool.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Wolverine
Diamond said:
"I'm about to shut off some lights, and turn off and unplug my computer hardware for Earth Hour.  I realize it's more of a thing for businesses to do in cities across the world, but I figure it can't hurt to lower my electricity usage as well.  If you're worried about the environment, it might be worthwhile to help make a statement.  Earth Hour has already passed for most of the world, but soon it'll hit the east coast so I decided to do my part."
How long are we supposed to turn things off for?
cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By cloneslayer

i think its weird that esurace represents earth hour, when that spy chick turn into a hippy?

Canberra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Canberra
Wolverine said:
 How long are we supposed to turn things off for?"

30 seconds
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Canberra said:
"Wolverine said:
30 seconds"
I thought it was an hour? I did it for an hour.
RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By RetroIce4
Video_Game_King said:
"RetroIce4 said:
"Uh-Oh. *looks at clock* It says 8:35 and my lights and everything is on. I got my bass pumping while going to get some Texas Toast out of the microwave. Then going to eat and watch TV. I guess I fail... XD"
*looks at clock, notices that it's 10 to 9* Well, at least your failure isn't as bad as mine. I even have a computer, Wii, TV, and some variation of a plasma lamp, I think."
Don't feel that bad now. XD
Canberra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Canberra
Bucketdeth said:
"Canberra said:
"Wolverine said:
30 seconds"
I thought it was an hour? I did it for an hour."

No, I’m pretty sure Earth Hour involved turning stuff of for 30 seconds.

Psyx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Psyx2

I turn off everything when I go to bed, and it stays off for 8 hours. I do this every night. I'M SAVING THE EARTH, MAN

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Canberra said:

"Bucketdeth said:
"Canberra said:
"Wolverine said:
30 seconds"
I thought it was an hour? I did it for an hour."

No, I’m pretty sure Earth Hour involved turning stuff of for 30 seconds.

LOL, how the fuck did I not catch on, oh well, I participated : )