miraclecup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By miraclecup

Bombers,

So we did something a little different this year for Extra Life. We put on a LAN racing tournament with modded versions of Need for Speed: Shift where each car featured a livery for an actual corporate sponsor. It went pretty well, with a few minor hitches and terrible quality racing wheels.

But we got the attention of a major potential partner and it looks like we might be taking it to the next level in 2014. Something like a booth at an outdoor festival and the general public sitting in as drivers for each of the cars involved.

The reason I’m sharing this is that we cooked up an idea to build a 4 PC LAN all inside a giant crate. Something that can be easily transported to public areas and just plugged in to TVs and wheels and have all of the networking stuffed neatly inside the box. Of course, this will take some creative thinking. Cooling is an important issue. Especially since the event we are looking at is in the hottest summer weeks.

I thought I would show you all what we were thinking and maybe get some feedback/ideas.

I have the box picked out. It’s a heavy duty job box from Home Depot…

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

It's massive. And the plastic is hard enough to be rugged but soft enough to cut holes in for fans and cables.

Basically, we'd bolt the metal frames from 4 PC towers inside. More details coming as we hatch this thing. The name we've come up for it is "Care Package".