Facebook as a spam pulpit

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Edited By melcene

So I'd like to rant in my blog here because apparently ranting to the offending party did jack shit. 

I have this family member.  Calls himself an evangelist.  Fine, whatever.  I don't care what people's religions are.  My best friend considers herself Wiccan, my husband found out a few years ago that he's part Jewish, and I was brought up Catholic.  Big deal.  I do, however, kind of have a problem with the people who "find God" every couple years or so.  But still, I normally keep it to myself. 

Lately though, this family member who calls himself an evangelist... he seriously uses Facebook as a pulpit.  At least a few times a week, he creates some Note on Facebook... Alright, so I get notice that he's created said Note.  Then he tags me in said Note.  So I get notice that he tags me in said Note in addition to the first notice.  Then he tags the other 20 family members we have as friends-in-common, and I get notices that he's tagged them.  It's a lot of spam.  And personally, I'm tired of being spammed with stuff like Are you lost? basically a big old thing on being lost from the church and how people should come back because obviously they've lost their way. 

I even tried to return the favor... I created my own big ol' note about how I am not lost, how I know exactly what I believe and how I believe, and that my right to that should be respected.  It didn't seem to matter.  I've even tagged him (and only him) in it.... that doesn't seem to matter either.  So now I'm stuck ranting elsewhere because I don't want to piss off an entire side of my family by being any more blunt than I've already been.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By melcene

So I'd like to rant in my blog here because apparently ranting to the offending party did jack shit. 

I have this family member.  Calls himself an evangelist.  Fine, whatever.  I don't care what people's religions are.  My best friend considers herself Wiccan, my husband found out a few years ago that he's part Jewish, and I was brought up Catholic.  Big deal.  I do, however, kind of have a problem with the people who "find God" every couple years or so.  But still, I normally keep it to myself. 

Lately though, this family member who calls himself an evangelist... he seriously uses Facebook as a pulpit.  At least a few times a week, he creates some Note on Facebook... Alright, so I get notice that he's created said Note.  Then he tags me in said Note.  So I get notice that he tags me in said Note in addition to the first notice.  Then he tags the other 20 family members we have as friends-in-common, and I get notices that he's tagged them.  It's a lot of spam.  And personally, I'm tired of being spammed with stuff like Are you lost? basically a big old thing on being lost from the church and how people should come back because obviously they've lost their way. 

I even tried to return the favor... I created my own big ol' note about how I am not lost, how I know exactly what I believe and how I believe, and that my right to that should be respected.  It didn't seem to matter.  I've even tagged him (and only him) in it.... that doesn't seem to matter either.  So now I'm stuck ranting elsewhere because I don't want to piss off an entire side of my family by being any more blunt than I've already been.

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By CowMuffins

Un-friend him. 

Edit: Sorry, the "(Blog Post)" thing doesn't show up in the title while viewing the thread.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By fwylo

Facbook bro.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SeriouslyNow

I feel ya.  It sucks.  "evangelists" suck. 

Dysnomia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Dysnomia
@CowMuffins said:
" Un-friend him. "
Since he seems to bug you, just do this.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By iam3green

i also hate facebook with things like that. all the time i get invites and pets for farmvill. i don't even play farmvill. it gets annoying seeing the thing that says you have something on your wall to find out that it is just farmvill stuff.

bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By bravetoaster
@CowMuffins said:
" Un-friend him.  
This 

He's a fucktard for assuming that everyone is "lost". 

Religion 

It's funny how something that is supposed to save humanity is actually destroying it.
oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By oatz

In my social circle, it's somehow a "merit" to put assloads of people as your friends on Facebook, so I've naturally somehow been swept with the bandwagon... and once you accumulate numbers in the thousands of "friends" (whom I don't even know or don't remember) Facebook becomes a giant clusterfuck of pictures, tags and status updates from people you haven't ever talked to. It's retarded, and I really wish I could somehow get those people off there without feeling like a jerk. Also, I'm too lazy.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By melcene

See, here's the thing... he's an UNCLE.  He's not just random Facebook friend, or else yeah, he'd be gone in an instant.  And I'm not looking to be that asshole to this side of the family.  It's bad enough that I'm considered aloof (and possibly a bitch) because I try to stay out of the drama my family always seems to have going on. 

@oatz said:

" In my social circle, it's somehow a "merit" to put assloads of people as your friends on Facebook, so I've naturally somehow been swept with the bandwagon... and once you accumulate numbers in the thousands of "friends" (whom I don't even know or don't remember) Facebook becomes a giant clusterfuck of pictures, tags and status updates from people you don't even know. It's retarded, and I really wish I could somehow get those people off there without feeling like a jerk. Also, I'm too lazy. "
I really don't understand this.  I have a friend who has like 30k friends.  It's like... really?!  WTF.  I have about 60.  A third to a half of them are family members.
gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By gamefreak9

yeah i have a weird family member who found Buddhism after shunning Christianity to all his children and making them all common annoying, know it all atheists. and he keeps going on about enlightenment and spiritual succession and other random crap to go with his vegetarian ways. its not that i mind different views, i love all religions/or hate them(im sort of nihilist), its just that i hate people who so obviously pass on their ways, who are desperate to confirm their own beliefs by passing them on.  

I do despise atheism because unlike religions who say "i beleive this and that" it says "your all wrong and i'm right and smarter that u", and its just such an obvious call for ego attention, otherwise they would just label themselves agnostic. 

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By melcene

So it took me tagging him specifically, but he finally got it.... sort of.  This is kinda funny, only because it's so horribly written. 

I hope and pray that you where not addressing that note to me, Because I in no way shape or forum have ever preach too you nor am I trying to convert you to Know Jesus. When I send my daily notes on Face Book it goes to everyone on my list and because your on my list you get it to. It took me 26 years of my life to change. and I don't regret who I am now, I at one point in my life was a big looser an a nobody going know where and getting there fast. But now threw giving my life to Jesus I am a new man. And like your self I work very hard for what I have in my life no one gave it to me. I payed my way threw 4 years of Bible Collage. I am an ordained Preacher because I work very hard for it. 31 years ago if anybody would of told me about Jesus I would of maybe kill them. I was not ready than. But because this one guy would always talk to me about Jesus. when I was ready I remember his words and thats what help me become who I am today. I have been a pastor for just about 30 years now. And I know that no one should be force to do anything they don't want. I will remove your name from my notes list on face Book but I will never remove your name from my heart and prayers.

I realize the point was to make me feel like shit.  [Claptrap]Ummm nope.  Ain't got shit. [/Claptrap]
cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By cookiemonster

I think you can remove the option of being notified for specific things like wall posts and photo tags and such. You can probably remove the notification option for being tagged in notes as well?

Chirag4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By Chirag4
@fwylo said:
" Facbook bro. "
Avatar image for walker_after_dark
Walker_after_dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@melcene: @CookieMonster: Yep. Account -> Account Settings -> Notifications. If you don't ever want to receive an email from Facebook, you can shut them all off.
sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By sagesebas
@melcene: He writes like a retarded 12 year old with downs.  
melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By melcene
@sagesebas said:
" @melcene: He writes like a retarded 12 year old with downs.   "
Yeah I know.  Unfortunately, a large portion of my family writes like that.  Don't be a racist hater bro.  They can't help it,  they're Puerto Rican.  Don't ask me what this has to do with anything.  But I'll bet money it's their excuse.
sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By sagesebas
@melcene: I was never racist? and did not know that
sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

#19  Edited By sarahsdad

It's strange to me that someone could go through that many years of schooling, reading what I expect would be one of the most carefully edited and spell-checked books ever, and come out spelling things the way he did.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By melcene
@sagesebas said:
" @melcene: I was never racist? and did not know that "
Sarcasm dude.